Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Labour's anti Semitic problems.

Guest MattP

Pathetic, some of these memes we see on the internet are becoming ridiculous.

One of my friends (who is actually quite bright) shared this earlier on Facebook and numerous people couldn't wait to post agreeing how disgraceful it was.

940965_208257792863158_82438710317465291

Apologies for the lateness, Cheltenham! - No problem with my political affiliations, Labour party in early teens (parents) excited by Tony Blair, turned towards the Liberals in the my early 20's, moved across to Conservative Eurosceptism in my mid 20's and have been there ever since. Never been a member of a party, have attending meetings for UKIP, Conservative and Lib Dems as a guest.

As for the point about Tory and UKIP I'll repeat myself, if there was a surge of wife beating in the Tories or segregated seating at a UKIP conference you would be absolutely right to bring it up without fear of being accused of smear, as Webbo has said it really does look like some people are starting to try and play the victim card here to try and cover things up, the Tory bullying scandal was huge and despite it only involving 4-5 people it was correct that it has been such a big story and people were forced to resign over it.

Whether they want to admit it or not the views of some new members are a big story is the issue, it's been on the Daily Politics virtually every day, it was a bought up on the Moral maze, it's been in the newspapers and was even a subject on This Week, their own MP's have been on television to tell the World their own party now has a portion of people who have a problem with Jews. It clearly is and it won't go away just by trying to claim anyone who brings it up is smearing.

The problem though isn't the readmittance - mistakes happen and the party has been very quickly to suspend or kick out these people as soon they have found out their beliefs, the real problem is that a lot of these anti-semites now see Labour as the party for them because of the leadership, if Corbyn can't address that this problem won't go away.

What about the BNP? You've left out that bit.  lol

One of my friends (who is actually quite bright) shared this earlier on Facebook and numerous people couldn't wait to post agreeing how disgraceful it was.

fabulous-internet-quote-dont-believe-eve

:thumbup:

I would question the intellect of anyone sharing that image, and likewise anyone commenting on it all guns blazing.

Some people are still amazed by non spoken words and you can make them believe pretty much anything by just writing it down.

I've lost count of how many pubs/supermarkets/libraries/councils have banned Christmas/barred a poppy seller/refused to serve men in uniform/tarred and feathered a breastfeeding mother/given discounts to transsexuals etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

That story is from 2007, he was kicked out the party in 2008.

God knows what you googled to find that.

All quite understandable. Probably Googled "Tory housing crisis" and the story about cottaging came up.

Guest MattP

All quite understandable. Probably Googled "Tory housing crisis" and the story about cottaging came up.

:D

Well at least one Conservative was prepared to show some elbow grease in a public building.

• 1 month later...
Guest MattP
Ex-BBC chief: Jews voting for Corbyn is like Muslims voting for Trump

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4733861.ece

Being Jewish and voting for Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party would be like being a Muslim and voting for Donald Trump, according to Danny Cohen, the former director of BBC television.

The executive, a prominent figure in London’s Jewish community, said that he was deeply troubled by the growing problem of antisemitism in the Labour party and that it made it impossible for Jewish people to support it under the present leadership.

In his first interview since quitting the BBC last November, Mr Cohen told The Times: “If you are Jewish how can you vote for them? How could you? For me it would be like being a Muslim and voting for Donald Trump, how could you do it? You have to feel absolutely confident that it is totally unacceptable and it won’t be tolerated and I personally haven’t felt comfortable that it is happening yet in the Labour party.”

The attack is particularly astonishing given that Mr Cohen is considered in media circles to be part of the north London intelligentsia, while Noreena Hertz, his wife, is a prominent left-wing economist.

His remarks come amid growing complaints of antisemitic behaviour within the party, with many Labour supporters blaming Mr Corbyn for being too slow to stamp it out.

Activists and Labour MPs want a “zero-tolerance” approach to antisemitism and are angered that people who have made abusive comments about Jews have been allowed back into the party.

Mr Cohen has form in attacking racism. He tried to get Jeremy Clarkson sacked in 2014 after the presenter mumbled the N-word and used the word “slope” on a Top Gear special in Burma. He was overruled by Lord Hall of Birkenhead, BBC director-general, and instead gave the now-departed presenter a final warning.

Asked whether he thought the presenter was a racist, Mr Cohen said: “I don’t think that’s his intention.”

The executive’s activism also got him into hot water with his bosses. Mr Cohen was criticised last year for adding his name to a letter opposing a cultural boycott of Israel, when he still worked at the BBC.

Mr Cohen also sparked a row over his role in drafting the “luvvies letter” in which stars including the actors Daniel Craig and Dame Judi Dench wrote an open letter to David Cameron urging the prime minister to defend the BBC.

In his first public remarks over the furore, Mr Cohen said he found the row amusing and had no regrets about co-ordinating the letter, which had the full support of the top team at the BBC.

“The letter worked,” he said. “We know it spiked people who were annoyed we were gathering the creative industry around us to defend the BBC and they don’t want to go up against those people because they know they are popular.”

Mr Cohen insisted that the Clarkson controversy and the luvvies letter had nothing to do with his decision to leave the BBC, but he said it had become a “very tough place in which to work”.

“You come under much more scrutiny at the BBC, and you can get offered double the money elsewhere and not have half the grief,” he said.

He thinks that the BBC needs to be able to pay its creative talent more if it wants to keep on making top television. “People don’t quite understand that the BBC operates in the market for talent. If the intention of the government and the public is that the BBC is the best broadcaster in the world and makes world-class programming you have got to have world-class people making it and those people operate in a market.”

Guest MattP

What a terrible story this Naz Shah episode appears to be, the whole country was willing her on to beat George Galloway and now we find out she's said worse things about the people of Israel than him.

Can see her ending up resigning over this in the current climate, the people of Bradford West elect some strange politicians.

Guest MattP

I mean as an MP, she's only resigned as an aide to McDonnell at the minute.

Most worryingly she was on the committee that was responsible for investigating antisemitism in Britain lol

Must be a long time since a British MP called for a whole race of people to be deported from a country....

I think we have to be careful here.

In my mind, this example could be looked at as satire and comment on the Isreal / Palestine situation. Yes, it could be viewed as mildly insensitive by some, but we must not suppress the need for debate and a resolution to the situation that this post refers too.

Guest MattP

lol

That's a pretty cracking piece of satire there yourself. Deport all Jews to America, could be seen as mildly insensitive to some I suppose.

Having said that given some of his past comments that could end up as Labour party policy under Corbyn.

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government or society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.

Guest MattP

Well having read the definition I think we can rule that out.

I'm looking forward next week's excuse on the next Labour party anti-semite, it's becoming hilarious.

There won't be a Jew left in the party after this lot have finished with it.

What a terrible story this Naz Shah episode appears to be, the whole country was willing her on to beat George Galloway and now we find out she's said worse things about the people of Israel than him.

Can see her ending up resigning over this in the current climate, the people of Bradford West elect some strange politicians.

Very, very disappointing, this. Particularly as she had been so courageous in taking on Galloway and his nasty sectarian support base and had such an extraordinary back-story, unlike the usual crew of former special advisers & greasy-pole climbers.

Even assuming that these posts were meant flippantly, it still shows real immaturity and massively poor judgment to put something like that in the public domain. They date from before she was an MP, but only a couple of years ago - certainly recent enough for her to have known better than to share something so obviously crass and offensive in historical context. Little thought was given to any satirical intent, which was bound to be swamped by the offensiveness

As an exasperated or self-consciously risqué comment among friends, and not meant to be taken literally, it might just about have been acceptable. To express it publicly to strangers as someone seeking public office is very poor judgment. She's right to resign as McDonnell's adviser. I hope her apology is sincere and that she learns a big lesson from this, otherwise she has no place being an MP. Condemning Israeli atrocities/injustice is fully justified, stuff like this really is not. Even if Bradford West is mainly a Muslim Asian / white British area, she presumably has a few Jewish constituents?  

Archived