Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Leicester 1 - 0 Newcastle post-match

Everyone's glad we won, we all appreciate that that's how it's going to be until the end of the season but do we have to pretend it was a great performance or else be considered moaning or negative?

Based on that adage then Webbo are people not allowed to think that elements of the performance, pressure, atmosphere are down to the magnitude of what's happening this season?

Based on that assumption other than venting what benefit is there to that sort of anslysis? What I've read and feel personally is it wasn't the greatest performance, possibly expected due to circumstances yet fantastic outcome. What is wrong with that?

Or do we have to analyse the moan / not moan aspect now?

I'm over the moon with the result, but the performance was poor. Was a bit worried about the new manager effect - could have been a banana skin.

We haven't been at our best lately, although I thought the performance against WBA was very good. Thankfully, though, we are picking up the points, and that's the main thing, especially at the business end of the season.

I thought Newcastle looked a lot better than they have been. That was pretty much inevitable, though, as McLaren is a pisspoor manager who was stealing a living. I think they'll probably stay up if they carry on improving.

I did think we closed out the game very well. I never really got the feeling that Newcastle would equalise towards the end. They say the mark of champions is winning when not playing well, and we've certainly been doing that recently. I do think we need start playing better before the end of the season, if only to prevent me, and I'm sure many of us, having heart problems.

I reckon we'll be better at Palace. It's an away game, which I think suits us better, and their league form is pretty bad. There'll be more opportunities to counter and less chance we'll need to break their defence down. They also have a decent gap below them to the relegation zone, so they're in no real danger at the moment - certainly less to play for than Norwich or Newcastle had.

Agree with most of this but I thought we "closed the game out" very poorly until injury time when there was a masterclass in keeping the ball in the corner - not sure the ball went in our half in injury time.

I keep remembering those memories of the 62/63 season. Top of the old First Division, with four games left. Then we lost them all; and who was it that won the title? None other than a certain Tottenham Hotspur!.

Please don't let history repeat itself!  :fc:  :fc:

I keep remembering those memories of the 62/63 season. Top of the old First Division, with four games left. Then we lost them all; and who was it that won the title? None other than a certain Tottenham Hotspur!.

Please don't let history repeat itself! :fc::fc:

Didn't Everton finally win it?

Spuds 2nd

We finished 4th.

The club is on the verge of possibly one of the most extraordinary events in sporting history. This may never happen Again to s club of our size in this money mad football world. For some who have witnessed years of mediocrity to think what we are on the verge of could be truely overwhelming. I can understand if like us the players are starting to feel it abit. Let's not put every performance under the microscope if they've not reached the heady exciting football we are now used to. Embrace what we are on the verge on and just think about that for a minute...

The club is on the verge of possibly one of the most extraordinary events in sporting history. This may never happen Again to s club of our size in this money mad football world. For some who have witnessed years of mediocrity to think what we are on the verge of could be truely overwhelming. I can understand if like us the players are starting to feel it abit. Let's not put every performance under the microscope if they've not reached the heady exciting football we are now used to. Embrace what we are on the verge on and just think about that for a minute...

Amen to that

History loves repeating itself. Check it out. History is full of tedious repetition.

It's when things break that cycle that they truly stand out. Like winning at West Ham. Dicking Man City at their gaff. Applying banana skins to both feet and still slipping to an unconvincing win.

Finely balanced at the moment. Still pessimistic about the title but enjoying the charge.

Based on that adage then Webbo are people not allowed to think that elements of the performance, pressure, atmosphere are down to the magnitude of what's happening this season?

Based on that assumption other than venting what benefit is there to that sort of anslysis? What I've read and feel personally is it wasn't the greatest performance, possibly expected due to circumstances yet fantastic outcome. What is wrong with that?

Or do we have to analyse the moan / not moan aspect now?

Whatever the reason it was still a poor performance. Nobody has gone overboard about it, we all understand the the pressures involved but this forum and this thread in particular is here to discuss these things. I don't know what else you expect people to say.

The players acknowledged after the match that it wasn't the greatest performance but so what? We ve played far better this season and not won. in 30 games played we're the only team averaging over 2 points a game: think about that for a minute. Its absolutely incredible.

Since the defeat at Arsenal, whilst I'm delighted we've been taking 3 points at a time, (with the exception of WBA) I too am concerned at the narrowness of victory and at times, lacklustre performances. However, just my take on it but perhaps we could consider the following factors -

I believe we have been at our best when playing regularly, even Claudio has gone on record as saying he does'nt like too long of an interim between matches.
The 2 game, consecutive (big match) winning run vs Liverpool and Man City was over the space of 4 days. Before that, I believe we had played 3 times in the space of 7 days with the Villa, Spurs (FA Cup) and Stoke games. Then the 2 week break after the disappointment of losing to Arsenal seemed to dim our momentum and we were pretty lethargic vs Norwich but lucky and more energized yet unlucky vs WBA, 3 days later.

Then the 9 day break (between Watford and Newcastle), together with the baggage of the McClaren/Benitez/NUFC saga was bound to have a combined, negative effect on us. It did and was something I mentioned my concern and anxiety over, back when McClaren was being hung out to dry.

Also, if I remember rightly, the match vs Newcastle was pushed back a day and a half by SKY. So, had we played at the weekend, Benitez wouldn't have had those 2 training day sessions with the team, before playing us. It's academic now, but I'd imagine we'd have won much more comfortably.

Finally, it's clear that we peaked between November and February. We are obviously slowing down, due to the physical aspect of playing at such a high level for the majority of this season. It's really been out of the frying pan and into the fire. That and the stress and pressure levels that have been steadily building, this past 4 or 5 weeks.

The Palace match for me isn't too concerning (obviously I'd like us to take the 3 points) as beating Newcastle last night, no matter how narrowly, was the more important game before the international break and Spurs have tricky matches vs Bournemouth and Liverpool away. There's every chance they drop points from one of those, or perhaps both.

Have a word with yourself.  It wasn't scintillating football but it was still good enough to come away with a goal (from an overhead kick no less) and a clean sheet against Premier League opposition taking us 5 points clear at the top of aforementioned league. And like others have said we were only really threatened on a handful of occasions.  Save your overstated abuse for a legitimately shit performance and not just a sub par but match winning one.

How cute, we'll just all be sycophants, yes? I'm not any less appreciative of this magical season than you are, if that's what you're implying.

Were we supposed to feel okay that we scraped by Norwich too (all the credit to them) had Jerome converted on his (more or less) sitter chance and we very well could have lost?

As @@Webbo says, no one is unhappy about the results -- that would be stupid.

But given a string of recent 1-0 performances where goals haven't been there and chances we've created have been scarce, there is reason for concern. I don't think anyone *should* reasonably expect swashbuckling football, but we have a reasonable expectation that our performances should be good enough to deserve to win most games we play because this squad is capable of playing positively and putting in sustainably winning performances.

Against West Brom and Watford, that was clear because we attacked positively, actually generated shots from those chances (our xG was above 1, IIRC) and we won or deserved to win on merit. But against Norwich and Toon, we really teetered that line and didn't deserve to win. In the context of any one given game, that's fine because "we played like champions" and who gives a rat's if we get the points.

But when these performances are on the trot since Valentine's Day really, that "process" leaves us with such a razor thin margin of error that may catch up with us. You aren't going to win many games with only one shot on target, and that's something I'm sure Claudio is addressing. In him I trust. I'm sure we'll be fine.

How cute, we'll just all be sycophants, yes? I'm not less appreciative of this magical season than you are, if that's what you're implying.

Were we supposed to feel okay that we scraped by Norwich too (all the credit to them) had Jerome converted on his (more or less) sitter chance and we very well could have lost?

As @@Webbo says, no one is unhappy about the results -- that would be stupid.

But given a string of recent 1-0 performances where goals haven't been there and chances we've created have been scarce, there is reason for concern. I don't think anyone *should* reasonably expect swashbuckling football, but we have a reasonable expectation that our performances should be good enough to deserve to win most games we play because this squad is capable of playing positively and putting in sustainably winning performances.

Against West Brom and Watford, that was clear because we attacked positively, actually generated shots from those chances (our xG was above 1, IIRC) and we won or deserved to win on merit. But against Norwich and Toon, we really teetered that line and didn't deserve to win. In the context of any one given game, that's fine because "we played like champions" and who gives a rat's if we get the points.

But when these performances are on the trot, that "process" leaves us with such a razor thin margin of error that may catch up with us. You aren't going to win many games with only one shot on target, and that's something I'm sure Claudio is addressing. In him I trust.

If you'll read that post again you'll see I'm saying nothing of the sort, in fact you've quoted me calling it a sub-par performance so I don't know where you're getting that impression from because it's not from what I wrote.  It's quite simple: Don't try to intellectualise telling someone to fvck off for expressing a measured opinion and then saying 

That was an utterly sh*te performance from us yesterday. [...]

because that's simply an incorrect statement and a massive overreaction, not to mention the rudeness of it.  

It's a fair point that we like to allow teams to get forwards then stifle their attacks with swarms of bodies getting behind each attempted cross or shot as we saw last night.  It's also a fair point that there were a couple of occasions where the defence looked a bit shaky and allowed them decent opportunities where it seemed harder for them not to score, so too that when we did break down attacks and get the ball forward we struggled to create as many chances as we have in other matches and some credit has to definitely be apportioned to Newcastle for their defensive organisation instead of blaming it purely on our players as if they didn't have any opponents yesterday. 

If you want to make constructive criticism of our performance then by all means I encourage it but it's not fair to call the performance "shite" because that belittles the accomplishment of seeing yet another Premier League game out with a clean sheet and it belittles our opponents.  If you want to see a real shite performance watch the highlights of Villa's home game against Liverpool for goodness sake.  

It's a fair point that we like to allow teams to get forwards then stifle their attacks with swarms of bodies getting behind each attempted cross or shot as we saw last night.  It's also a fair point that there were a couple of occasions where the defence looked a bit shaky and allowed them decent opportunities where it seemed harder for them not to score, so too that when we did break down attacks and get the ball forward we struggled to create as many chances as we have in other matches and some credit has to definitely be apportioned to Newcastle for their defensive organisation instead of blaming it purely on our players as if they didn't have any opponents yesterday. 

I think you are misinterpreting my comments as if I don't understand the team's style of play. Of course I understand that we like to allow teams to get forward against any opponent (even Villa), that's not under debate.

The difference between how we ideally set up and what happened last night (in my opinion) was that there were more than a couple of occasions where there was just too much space just above the danger zone and Toon made poor decisions by not shooting the ball. If Toon weren't so inept with their shooting boots, they would have easily won.

That is unlike our typical performances, where we draw the opposing team in, but we don't given them space deep in the final third to create chances for the taking (like you described above). Away at Watford for example is a prime recent example of what we can (and should?) be. Giving the other team ponderous possession is fine, but I think Newcastle's possession was more than that.

We were just very ineffective against Toon and the performances need to be better. But if any squad is entitled to a break here or there, it's ours, and we got one.

If you want to make constructive criticism of our performance then by all means I encourage it but it's not fair to call the performance "shite" because that belittles the accomplishment of seeing yet another Premier League game out with a clean sheet and it belittles our opponents.  If you want to see a real shite performance watch the highlights of Villa's home game against Liverpool for goodness sake.  

Fair enough on calling out my hyperbole, but this is a message board and I am entitled to do that. I'm not trying to be that abrasive, so sorry about that. It was a very poor performance nonetheless and nothing will change my mind on that. I was even surprised the xG scoreline was 0.7 - 0.7.

In Germany we like to call it: we did a dirty victory. And that's my feeling about the victory yesterday.

OK maybe it hasn't been a good performance and in the end with luck, but I saw good things like a Jamy Vardy fighting during the whole match. Come on guys. The points are the most important thing.

1-0 is a great scoreline. We have more goals but the great thing is we just close down the match professionally like a good old fashioned italion team. If it's 0-0 we would certainly create more chances.

Yesterday in the 2nd half we controlled it perfectly. Kasper didn't have a save to make

I agree completely...but this wasn't a "catenaccio". Ranieri is not known in Italy as a manager who employs it. But yes, it definitely is starting to look more like an Italian defence than an English one.

Whatever the reason it was still a poor performance. Nobody has gone overboard about it, we all understand the the pressures involved but this forum and this thread in particular is here to discuss these things. I don't know what else you expect people to say.

I know, and there lies my point and you're arguing against yourself!

In MY opinion, which I believe I am equally entitled to voice on a forum, the level of performance dipping is due to the magnitude of what's happening and is only to be expected. I feel that too much criticism and over analysis is harsh and achieves nothing other than look at me we're top of the league and 5 points clear but I'll still find fault and I'm entitled too!

Claudio is keeping the players feet firmly on the ground and what they're achieving is nothing short of sensational already!

MY opinion unlike your reply is not personal to individuals it's a general opinion that I firmly believe in and will stand by it.

You and others are totally entitled to voice opinions and criticisms, I respectfully request that you don't play the forum card because yours or anybody elses opinion is being questioned or debated.

I know, and there lies my point and you're arguing against yourself!

In MY opinion, which I believe I am equally entitled to voice on a forum, the level of performance dipping is due to the magnitude of what's happening and is only to be expected. I feel that too much criticism and over analysis is harsh and achieves nothing other than look at me we're top of the league and 5 points clear but I'll still find fault and I'm entitled too!

Claudio is keeping the players feet firmly on the ground and what they're achieving is nothing short of sensational already!

MY opinion unlike your reply is not personal to individuals it's a general opinion that I firmly believe in and will stand by it.

You and others are totally entitled to voice opinions and criticisms, I respectfully request that you don't play the forum card because yours or anybody elses opinion is being questioned or debated.

You originally quoted me, you used my name in your post, the only one making it personal is you.

Entitlement is a funny thing - of course people can (within the bounds of decency) express any and all opinions, but it is often (not always) people who plead 'my rights' who then have little or no respect for anyone else's.

I think what those slightly less hawkish writers are trying to say is cut the lads some slack - they are trying to do something unprecedented. And for me, I thought there were so many positives from Monday, it is so unrealistic to expect ANY team to play well every single match.

What's going on is extraordinary - yes even Monday was, in its own way - and given the added loading of Spurs having won on Sunday and Benitez having just arrived, it made the achievement all the more exceptional.

You originally quoted me, you used my name in your post, the only one making it personal is you.

Well believe me Webbo that 100 % was not and is never my intention. I have no issue with yourself and apologies if you've misconstrued the message in my post, it was an example.

Entitlement is a funny thing - of course people can (within the bounds of decency) express any and all opinions, but it is often (not always) people who plead 'my rights' who then have little or no respect for anyone else's.

I think what those slightly less hawkish writers are trying to say is cut the lads some slack - they are trying to do something unprecedented. And for me, I thought there were so many positives from Monday, it is so unrealistic to expect ANY team to play well every single match.

What's going on is extraordinary - yes even Monday was, in its own way - and given the added loading of Spurs having won on Sunday and Benitez having just arrived, it made the achievement all the more exceptional.

And yes highpeak this pretty much sums up my opinion!

I have to agree that this game was poor. We were poor. Yes we won but more by luck than judgement. The clips of Ranieri urging the team to quicken up, increase tempo, were telling.

There were far too many gaps and far too many opportunities that a better team would have exploited easily. It was as if many of our players had lead in their boots and that does not bode well.

It was a great result even so and if we can shake off our malaise against Palace and come away with a positive result then hopefully this will just be a blip.

We nicked two more points than we deserved on Monday.. Wes 's handball could easily have been given and if Newcastle weren't so toothless up front we would have conceded..

That result does ease the pressure on the Palace game a touch.. A win would be a massive step towards the title and Palace haven't won in the league THIS YEAR!

..Let's hope the boys are back to their best on Saturday and that Bournemouth do us a favour on Sunday!

Can't believe some of you are complaining about the performance. We're at the business end of the season now and teams will want to ruin our party. We're under immense pressure yet we keep rolling off the wins unlike Man City and Arsenal who are stumbling.

Some people are only happy when they're moaning, i get that, but if you can't enjoy this season I don't think football is for you

If we were in West Ham's position for example, I would be enjoying the season, but we are within touching distance of the most monumental feat in English football history.  Enjoyment doesn't come into it.

Archived