Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bluefox_69

1970s - Enderby Town vs LCFC Help

I take it that you are aware the club changed its name to Leicester United around that time.i remember watching them play City in a county cup game at Filvert St, the score was 3-2 if I remember correctly to United with Dave Puttnam scoring a hatrick. Game was around 1984. Can't remember them playing any other games.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brisfox said:

I take it that you are aware the club changed its name to Leicester United around that time.i remember watching them play City in a county cup game at Filvert St, the score was 3-2 if I remember correctly to United with Dave Puttnam scoring a hatrick. Game was around 1984. Can't remember them playing any other games.

They changed their name to Leicester United in 1982/83 and moved to Blaby in 1986. The only game I remember them playing was a testimonial for a former goalkeeper of their's called Roy Marsden (No not the actor) not sure of the year though. Think that was in the 80's.

42 minutes ago, brisfox said:

I remember that one, didn't we sign Putnam after that?

• 2 years later...

I'm only 2 years after you posted the thread... but never mind!!

In the grandson of Horace Jacques...who built Enderby Town up in the 1960-70s. I do have scrapbooks covering the Town but they cover the late 70s early 80s. One friendly versus LCFC that isnt covered in Of Fossils & Foxes is a 3-1 win for City, played just three days before Keith Weller started his career at Enderby. 

All those years ago as a kid I used to live on Coleridge Drive and climb through the hedge to watch Enderby Town for free. The groundsman used to chase us off for playing on there also ?.

I remember them playing Leicester City there in a pre season friendly once but don't know of a testimonial for Graham Cross (think I saw Peter Rodrigues playing but no definite). Also saw Forest play there pre season as well with Terry Hennesey playing for them.

Frank Large lived in the house opposite us for a while. Before joining Leicester academy Andy Peake used to play for Enderby Town or could have been Leicester United by then not sure.

On 17/08/2016 at 09:39, Foxes1 said:

The only game I remember them playing was a testimonial for a former goalkeeper of their's called Roy Marsden (No not the actor) not sure of the year though. Think that was in the 80's.

Ian Marsden was the GK who had the testimonial. IIRC it was in the early 90s.

He also played cricket, some for Narborough & Littlethorpe.

Leicester United had 1 season at George Street prior to moving to the new ground at Blaby. We had 1 season playing at Saffron Lane stadium whilst the ground at Blaby was under renovation.The first home game the following season was against Newport County. The opening of the New ground was against a strong QPR team which included Paul Parker, David Seaman Terry Fenwick etc I think we eventually lost 8-2 after keeping them to 1-2 at half time. We sold Putty to City and Cohen Griffiths to Cardiff that season.

• Like 1

The only City game I remember against Enderby Town (at George Street) ... was a pre-season game in Aug 1979.    The City XI team won 2-0 with both goals scored by Stalker.

The "official" Graham Cross testomonial match was City v Derby County in May 1974.   I think the crowd was about 22,000 to watch a 2-2 draw.   

It's possible that Enderby Town could've played a match - as a testomonial - with some money going to the GC fund.  

If that was the case, and I've no idea if it actually was ... it would have been in sometime in 1974-75.

8 hours ago, Kuredufox said:

Leicester United had 1 season at George Street prior to moving to the new ground at Blaby. We had 1 season playing at Saffron Lane stadium whilst the ground at Blaby was under renovation.The first home game the following season was against Newport County. The opening of the New ground was against a strong QPR team which included Paul Parker, David Seaman Terry Fenwick etc I think we eventually lost 8-2 after keeping them to 1-2 at half time. We sold Putty to City and Cohen Griffiths to Cardiff that season.

You obviously went down there when I did. 

Saffron Lane only hosted three or four games though as blaby Winchester road wasn't quite ready. Drainage problems persisted and ended up with United having to to play the last 9 games in 13/days. United remarkably won every single game to steal a promotion to the southern premier  (level.6)/along with a very strong  VS Rugby and Merthyr Tydfil (welsh cup winners and played a couple of uefa cup rounds the following season)

The team was mainly made up.of the best senior league grizzled semi pros - - real tough nuts/---....the forward line of Keith dakin, Cohen Griffith and Dave Putnam was championship standard and blew teams away. They three of them.were nigh on unplayable at that level

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Worthington said:

That WAS a team at that level ! Think even the 'next choice' striker, (Steve Hallam)?? was bloody decent !

Oh yes, forgot about him. Mark Hallam it was. He went in to be a very decent conference striker for Tamworth. After him.was Keith Scott...who moved on to Stoke at league 1 then championship with them.

It was helluva conveyor belt of local football talent for the decade or so before they folded.