Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

Guest bennytwohats
4 minutes ago, the fox said:

The part when you just pointed out all his negatives and missed somethings like, his important goals and assists for example, or the fact that he has the best minute to goal ratio, you know, the little things.

Read again, I said putting aside all those negatives, as in I'm not commenting on them...

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

But 20 million less than Chelsea paid for Torres. See what your saying but comparisons like that can be bent to suit your opinion.

plus Lukaku has been there years now and improved with time.

Aye.. very true. I guess I was just looking at the two players yesterday thinking...'hold on, these cost the same amount of money'. I get the inflation argument etc though to be fair.

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

You don't get me, I'm coming to Ulloa's rescue because I think you're slating him unfairly. Ulloa has been a worthwhile addition to our squad in good times and in bad times, never complaining about his lack of playing time (up until the issues under Ranieri). He's also put in a quite the shift in defense, if needed to be. I can recall numerous times when he played as an additional centre-back due to his height and heading abilities when we were faced with opposing free-kicks and corners. He's underrated because of his bit-part role within the team.

We bought him for £7m if I remember correctly - which was quite the sum some two, three years ago. And looking back, he's pretty much repaid that with goals aplenty (next to Vardy).

We can go in circles as much as we want to. Until Slimani has repaid his transfer fee and played a more consistent and essential role within the squad, the critics won't go away. And he does have his limitations. His first touch and goalscoring decisions in one-on-ones seem to be way off - no complaints about his positioning when going for headers, mind. But didn't he give Everton's second goal away with a mistimed challenge or header in midfield on Sunday?

? When did i slate him, I said slimani is better, nothing more, nothing less

He definitely share some of the blame

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I ain't continuing this cos as I wrote earlier, it's futile. You've made your mind up and bizarrely won't consider anything other than Slimani is fantastic. I shan't waste my time...again...

Slimani hasn't been fantastic this season, far from it, although he was for Sporting but I think everyone has already gathered that. The point I'm trying to make is how people can consider Ulloa even close to Slimani level, when Slimani is way way better, I don't think that should be any type of discussion. Some people are complaining saying he only pressures sometimes don't know what playing 90 minutes at high intensity is. Players need to jog from now and then to recover some energy, yes many times he should pressure more and just jogs and doesn't care, and there I give you reason, but people are complaining because he doesn't pressure all game, not even Vardy that is one of the most workhorses in the league pressures all game. They need to recover some energy. Apart from that I agree with everything, he didn't show anything that can make people think he is worth 35M but he still has time and I think we should wait.

On 10/04/2017 at 19:43, Col city fan said:

Just to make a comparison, we paid roughly the same for Slimani as Everton did for Lukaku.

They look poles apart in terms of ability. 

Oh my god Slimani cost double what Newcastle paid for a peak Alan Shearer! And 6 times more than a Barca paid for Deigo Maradona!

What do you mean there is such a thing as inflation and rapidly increasing transfer fees? I won't have it we got ripped of i tell you!

On 10/04/2017 at 19:52, Col city fan said:

Aye.. very true. I guess I was just looking at the two players yesterday thinking...'hold on, these cost the same amount of money'. I get the inflation argument etc though to be fair.

Sorry mate i didn't see this ignore my last post where i was talking about Maradona going Barca for 5 million!

From what I saw he got one chance and he scored it. We literally created nothing else. He ran well but what more can a striker do? We bought him knowing that he wasn't exactly going to dribble past 4 defenders and create the chances himself. We were poor yesterday and he put a shift in to get into the position that he was for the goal, finishing calmly and cooly. 

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

About a million times. Just ramming it down people's throats. lol

Doesn't stop it from being true, its a football debate and I stand with what I said, its not like I'm here every day saying "daily reminder: slimani is better than Leo", people comment and I reply.

If you have a deferent opinion, good for you. But just because I don't share your views doesn't mean I'm ramming my opinion down your throat. Actually, you are the one doing it, I at least have a leg to stand on backed by stats, what do you have apart from "he was very good two years ago", we are living in the present, and last time I checked, slimani was holding his end of  the bargain.

3 hours ago, the fox said:

Doesn't stop it from being true, its a football debate and I stand with what I said, its not like I'm here every day saying "daily reminder: slimani is better than Leo", people comment and I reply.

If you have a deferent opinion, good for you. But just because I don't share your views doesn't mean I'm ramming my opinion down your throat. Actually, you are the one doing it, I at least have a leg to stand on backed by stats, what do you have apart from "he was very good two years ago", we are living in the present, and last time I checked, slimani was holding his end of  the bargain.

It's true because you say it. After all, it's your opinion versus many others. I salute you standing up for the player, but in the end, it's the player who has to do the talking on the pitch.

And yes, you are ramming it down everybody's throat - "Doesn't stop it from being true" ring any bell?

Your stats are skewed because they emphasize one side of Slimani's play, ignoring all the negative traits and mishaps this season. Again, that's bias. Which coming from an Algerian is nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe one day you can admit that much.

And please clarify the "he was very good two years ago" - thanks for taking my statement out of context. I've also said Ulloa hasn't played as much ever since.

If you want to play the stats game, go ahead. Numbers aren't everything.

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

It's true because you say it. After all, it's your opinion versus many others. I salute you standing up for the player, but in the end, it's the player who has to do the talking on the pitch.

And yes, you are ramming it down everybody's throat - "Doesn't stop it from being true" ring any bell?

Your stats are skewed because they emphasize one side of Slimani's play, ignoring all the negative traits and mishaps this season. Again, that's bias. Which coming from an Algerian is nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe one day you can admit that much.

And please clarify the "he was very good two years ago" - thanks for taking my statement out of context. I've also said Ulloa hasn't played as much ever since.

To be honest, give me the ONE goals scored stat for a striker all day over the others. If Slimani played in 38 games, he would have scored 22 goals, going on his goals/appearances so far. No one can deny that isn't an impressive projection and probably puts his 7 premier league goals into some context. 

I agree he has some negative traits. Biggest one for me is how he struggles to win aerial battles outside the box and his first touch is not the best but he is quick and agile for a big lump and his movement is very good. I've seen times where he has gestured he wasn't happy with a pass but that doesn't bother me at all and doesn't look like it bothers the players as they couldn't be happier when he scores or vice versa, so I see no problem there. 

Not really recalling these "mishaps" either apart from a couple of misses, one very easy tap in and the one on one against West Ham recently, but even Aguero misses guilt edge chances. As long as they are balanced out by taking others, then it's normal and he certainly has taken his chances this season. Lovely, cool finish against Everton in fact. 

As for Ulloa, I think he is also brilliant at what he does. He isn't a natural goal scorer like Slimani, but he holds the ball up very well and is incredibly useful at winning those types of headers that Slimani struggles with. It's a shame he isn't 20/21 and just breaking through as I'd love to keep him as our 3rd/4th striker, but at 30, he rightly wants to move on and start every week. 78 appearances and 18 goals is a decent enough return and like Okazaki, doesn't tell the full story on his contribution. 

I still struggle to see how people can question Slimani's quality as a striker, but I do have doubts whether we can get the best out of him and Vardy when they play together and also whether having Slimani in the team, means it can't function as well. The only way we can find that out is by starting them together. At the moment, I would say it is still 50/50, and I think that will be reflected in the results and performances so far, where we have won some and they have both worked well together, but in others we have missed Okazaki and Vardy and Slimani have not clicked. 

Time will tell, but still too early to make a judgement either way. 

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

To be honest, give me the ONE goals scored stat for a striker all day over the others. If Slimani played in 38 games, he would have scored 22 goals, going on his goals/appearances so far. No one can deny that isn't an impressive projection and probably puts his 7 premier league goals into some context. 

I agree he has some negative traits. Biggest one for me is how he struggles to win aerial battles outside the box and his first touch is not the best but he is quick and agile for a big lump and his movement is very good. I've seen times where he has gestured he wasn't happy with a pass but that doesn't bother me at all and doesn't look like it bothers the players as they couldn't be happier when he scores or vice versa, so I see no problem there. 

Not really recalling these "mishaps" either apart from a couple of misses, one very easy tap in and the one on one against West Ham recently, but even Aguero misses guilt edge chances. As long as they are balanced out by taking others, then it's normal and he certainly has taken his chances this season. Lovely, cool finish against Everton in fact. 

As for Ulloa, I think he is also brilliant at what he does. He isn't a natural goal scorer like Slimani, but he holds the ball up very well and is incredibly useful at winning those types of headers that Slimani struggles with. It's a shame he isn't 20/21 and just breaking through as I'd love to keep him as our 3rd/4th striker, but at 30, he rightly wants to move on and start every week. 78 appearances and 18 goals is a decent enough return and like Okazaki, doesn't tell the full story on his contribution. 

I still struggle to see how people can question Slimani's quality as a striker, but I do have doubts whether we can get the best out of him and Vardy when they play together and also whether having Slimani in the team, means it can't function as well. The only way we can find that out is by starting them together. At the moment, I would say it is still 50/50, and I think that will be reflected in the results and performances so far, where we have won some and they have both worked well together, but in others we have missed Okazaki and Vardy and Slimani have not clicked. 

Great post.

20 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Oh, I'm not passing complete judgement yet. I've stated before that we need to see more of him and that Slimani needs to show what he can actually do (after all the praise from Sporting and Algeria fans). The hefty price tag will never go away. Considering we paid £7m for Ulloa two years ago and four times as much for Slimani means to me (and bear with me here) he must be about four times as good - the seller's market aspect is pretty much negligeable, as Slimani would've hardly gone for anything below £20m. Ulloa was an integral part in his first season for us with eleven goals in 37 appearances and that in an allegedly worse (read: less talented) team than we have now.

What grinds me is Slimani fanboys pushing a player on the back of what he did for a different team in a different league or with the national squad, using those past stats, achievements and his style of play in Portugal or with Algeria as the basis of the argument.

Yes, his goalscoring record for a bit player with us is good (so far) - I'm talking about the other aspects of the game with Leicester that I find frustrating or annoying.

Slimani has excellent workrates going forward and defending, I've praised his heading ability and his movement in the box, but I sometimes wonder whether he wants too much by helping out our back four and then goes amiss up front. He can be fast, but he's no sprinter and speed isn't his main asset. Remember that "tackle" near our own box on Sunday? That's what I'm talking about.

He can be an excellent finisher in front of goal, but at some point he our the club need to recognize what his main asset really is - helping out in midfield or being a great threat in the opposition's box?

As seen with Okazaki, you can't have it both ways. Unless Slimani manages to pull off a miracle and work for two every single game.

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

It's true because you say it. After all, it's your opinion versus many others. I salute you standing up for the player, but in the end, 2-it's the player who has to do the talking on the pitch.

2-Your stats are skewed because they emphasize one side of Slimani's play, ignoring all the negative traits and mishaps this season. Again, that's bias. Which coming from an Algerian is nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe one day you can admit that much.

2-And please clarify the "he was very good two years ago" - thanks for taking my statement out of context. I've also said Ulloa hasn't played as much ever since.

1- he did a fair share of it.

2-lol, yes i'm a little biased, but I'm not blind. I'm a standup man, MC. I will make it "fair" by comparing ollua's and okazaki's best seasons to slimani's less than desirable one, so here you go

IMG_20170411_134021.thumb.jpg.c14c40790224eab4fd4b95054f492fb1.jpg

Man having a field day against them and he isn't even 100℅?

3- you are saying that he is better than slimani while he didn't show anything that proves it in the last 2 seasons

4- numbers aren't everything but they sure clarify things, I see how you let an open window so you can avoid me using stats to prove he is the better player, good one?

11 minutes ago, the fox said:

1- he did a fair share of it.

2-lol, yes i'm a little biased, but I'm not blind. I'm a standup man, MC. I will make it "fair" by comparing ollua's and okazaki's best seasons to slimani's less than desirable one, so here you go

IMG_20170411_134021.thumb.jpg.c14c40790224eab4fd4b95054f492fb1.jpg

Man having a field day against them and he isn't even 100℅?

3- you are saying that he is better than slimani while he didn't show anything that proves it in the last 2 seasons

4- numbers aren't everything but they sure clarify things, I see how you let an open window so you can avoid me using stats to prove he is the better player, good one?

Numbers suit them who use them in their argument.

Btw, where did I explicitly say Ulloa was better than Slimani? Based on what I've seen of Slimani so far and with his price tag in mind, I was vehemently arguing against Slimani being (that much) better!

And looking at those stats you quote, Ulloa and Slimani are pretty close to one another. But hey, anything that suits you pushing your player and your agenda.

Btw, these stats were already quoted about a week ago (by Benji), so they're nothing new to me.

You're trying to force this "striker" comparison upon us, aren't you? Pretty much neglecting the fact that each one of these three players are fulfilling different roles on the pitch or have done so in the past (in Ulloa's case). Putting Okazaki in there is a shambolic move, because he more often than not plays as a No. 10 on the role, assisting Vardy and clearing up space up front, and doesn't feature as a proper striker.

You're a bit of a freak, aren't you?

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

1-Numbers suit them who use them in their argument.

2-Btw, where did I explicitly say Ulloa was better than Slimani? Based on what I've seen of Slimani so far, I was vehemently arguing against Slimani being (that much) better!

And looking at those stats you quote, Ulloa and Slimani are pretty close to one another. But hey, anything that suits you pushing your player and your agenda.

4-You're a bit of a freak, aren't you?

1- if you look closely, you would see that those stats are not cherry picked stats, the ones like total score, take ons and take ons ℅, shot accuracy are fair.

2- OK then, my bad.

3-my player? Isn't he a Leicester player? Isn't he our player?, lolagenda, how do you feel when Leo's best season is 14 goals + assists in the league while slimani's "bad one" is 10 goals plus assists, in 1295 less minutes, being his first season, while having 0 preseason, getting injured, playing out of positions and going to the AFCON.

4- you couldn't keep up there, couldn't youlol, I don't blame you, your only valid point that you can have is his price tag, and honestly, I don't think you can find a striker with a better sense for goals than slimani for £20m, 

- I'm all for changing my mind about slimani, as long as you can provide valid points apart from the price tag.

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Oh, I'm not passing complete judgement yet. I've stated before that we need to see more of him and that Slimani needs to show what he can actually do (after all the praise from Sporting and Algeria fans). The hefty price tag will never go away. Considering we paid £7m for Ulloa two years ago and four times as much for Slimani means to me (and bear with me here) he must be about four times as good - the seller's market aspect is pretty much negligeable, as Slimani would've hardly gone for anything below £20m. Ulloa was an integral part in his first season for us with eleven goals in 37 appearances and that in an allegedly worse (read: less talented) team than we have now.

What grinds me is Slimani fanboys pushing a player on the back of what he did for a different team in a different league or with the national squad, using those past stats, achievements and his style of play in Portugal or with Algeria as the basis of the argument.

Yes, his goalscoring record for a bit player with us is good (so far) - I'm talking about the other aspects of the game with Leicester that I find frustrating or annoying.

Slimani has excellent workrates going forward and defending, I've praised his heading ability and his movement in the box, but I sometimes wonder whether he wants too much by helping out our back four and then goes amiss up front. He can be fast, but he's no sprinter and speed isn't his main asset. Remember that "tackle" near our own box on Sunday? That's what I'm talking about.

He can be an excellent finisher in front of goal, but at some point he our the club need to recognize what his main asset really is - helping out in midfield or being a great threat in the opposition's box?

As seen with Okazaki, you can't have it both ways. Unless Slimani manages to pull off a miracle and work for two every single game.

I've not read all your posts on Slimani but if you haven't written him off yet, then that's good to hear as there could be more to come yet. 

As for the price comparison argument, I try to ignore all that stuff, as the Premier League has gone bonkers in the last few years and so who knows what Ulloa would have cost this summer. Certainly not £29 million but definitely not £7million either - I'd double that. 

2 years ago.. Slimani for about £20 million sounds about right, so when you look at it in terms of how much they would have cost 2 years ago or current day, then I think the difference would be a lot less. There are lots of other factors too, for example, us being champions and in the champions league and so selling clubs/agents knew that we had more wealth and so could hold us to ransom. Even if you ignore all that and use your 4x better calculation, then Pogba should be 224x better than Mahrez.

So I think transfer fees in this day and age of billionaires and mega tv deals have become much less relevant, and whereas 5-6 years ago, 10 million for a 20+ goal scorer would have been good value for us, how much would we pay for one now? £29 million for 20 goals in the Premier League would probably seem cheap considering only Lukaku has reached it so far and valued at over 60 million! 

Yes he is only on 7 goals, but we can only judge him on what he has been able to do with the time he has had on the pitch and it suggests he would score 22 goals in 38 appearances, so I don't think it is a stretch to say that we have bought a 20+ goals per season Premier League striker for £29 million. As I said... pretty good value in these times. 

I'm sure people will continue to use his transfer fee as their main argument but hopefully they can look past it, as I think transfer fees and wages will only get higher and I am sure that £29million record fee will be eclipsed soon, and it would be a shame if people struggle to look past the cost of a player over what they are achieving on the pitch. 

I thought the Everton game was a prime example of Slimani being picked out over many others who performed worse, which wouldn't have happened if people weren't fixated on his cost in my opinion. 

I do think we will get to a point where he will have scored enough goals, that many will think he was a worthwhile purchase, but until then, I think it will be very difficult to convince many otherwise. As I said, I still have doubts that we will see the best of him and Vardy in the same team together. I think both like to be the central focal point for attacks and neither are great at dropping deep, although Slimani is certainly doing an OK job at that so far. I think we will need Okazaki and Vardy for the Champions League but in the Premier League, I want to see Shakey persist with the Vardy/Slim partnership, so we can see if it has a future, as neither will accept being on the bench next season, so the sooner we find out if it can be successful, the better! 

12 minutes ago, the fox said:

1- if you look closely, you would see that those stats are not cherry picked stats, the ones like total score, take ons and take ons ℅, shot accuracy are fair.

2- OK then, my bad.

3-my player? Isn't he a Leicester player? Isn't he our player?, lolagenda, how do you feel when Leo's best season is 14 goals + assists in the league while slimani's "bad one" is 10 goals plus assists, in 1295 less minutes, being his first season, while having 0 preseason, getting injured, playing out of positions and going to the AFCON.

4- you couldn't keep up there, couldn't youlol, I don't blame you, your only valid point that you can have is his price tag, and honestly, I don't think you can find a striker with a better sense for goals than slimani for £20m, 

- I'm all for changing my mind about slimani, as long as you can provide valid points apart from the price tag.

They are not cherry-picked, but they're the ones you chose yourself? lol

I say "your player" because your input on this messageboard focuses on one topic mainly, and that's Islam Slimani - hence the "freak" remark. He's "your" player because he's Algerian. He's one of many to me, and ultimately, I'm not that much interested in specific player stats as long as the player fits in well as part of a team and buys into our work ethic.

I have already found a better player than Slimani who only cost a fraction of what Slimani cost. His name is Jamie Vardy.

58ecd9a0b83f8_SlimaniVardy.thumb.png.65fac02d392039e0bc9cd86d0fa5680d.png

27 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

1-They are not cherry-picked, but they're the ones you chose yourself? lol

2-I say "your player" because your input on this messageboard focuses on one topic mainly, and that's Islam Slimani - hence the "freak" remark. He's "your" player because he's Algerian. 3-He's one of many to me, and ultimately, I'm not that much interested in specific player stats as long as the player fits in well as part of a team and buys into our work ethic.

I have already found a better player than Slimani who only cost a fraction of what Slimani cost. His name is Jamie Vardy.

1-Do you want me to add goal keeper saves as well? 

2-Not really, I comment a lot and have different opinions about deferent clubs/players and formations, had an opinion about one specific player and that got me suspended and restricted 2 times.

3-He is one of many to me too, I'm maybe defending slim a little "too much" for some people's taste, but I promise you, MC, I'm not saying anything that I don't believe to be true.

4- wait! Do you honestly believe that i think slimani is better than vardy?, I'm a little biased, but I'm not an idiot!

I want your footballing input, with stats, results and facts backing them up, you can't just flail your arms around and throw anything that you can have your hands on, If you truly wish to have a football debate, then I promise you I will be as subjective as possible.

4 minutes ago, the fox said:

1-Do you want me to add goal keeper saves as well? 

2-Not really, I comment a lot and have deferent opinions about deferent clubs/players and formations, had an opinion about one specific player and that got me suspended and restricted 2 times.

3-He is one of many to me too, I'm maybe defending slim a little "too much" for some people's taste, but I promise you, MC, I'm not saying anything that I don't believe to be true.

4- wait! Do you honestly believe that i think slimani is better than vardy?, I'm a little biased, but I'm not an idiot!

I want your footballing input, with stats, results and facts backing them up, you can't just flail your arms around and throw anything that you can have your hands on, If you truly wish to have a football debate, then I promise you I will be as subjective as possible.

'Different' mate 'different'...

Fair play, I don't always agree with you, but you make a good argument for yourself. Don't always expect logical comebacks though.

Just now, Col city fan said:

'Different' mate 'different'...

Fair play, I don't always agree with you, but you make a good argument for yourself. Don't always expect logical comebacks though.

My bad, col lol , for me, I don't go against one player without pointing what I think is wrong with them, if I'm proven to be wrong (e.g simo and Marc) I will apologise, I went crazy on drinky when he was underperforming but I supported my rant with facts and tid bits, for example, I think the reason we are worse without shinji is because drinky is in the same line as n'didi which leaves a hug gap in the midfield that okazaki has to fill.

Its easy to say he'd score 22 goals in 38 appearances but how many more goals would we concede, because of his lack of ability to defend from the front? Yes he is a liability defending from the front, because one minute he's pressing hard and tracking back, next minute he's not busting a gut to get back into position to block off the opponents passing lanes.

28 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Its easy to say he'd score 22 goals in 38 appearances but how many more goals would we concede, because of his lack of ability to defend from the front? Yes he is a liability defending from the front, because one minute he's pressing hard and tracking back, next minute he's not busting a gut to get back into position to block off the opponents passing lanes.

I thought I read everything but this one is golden. Let's play them all as CBs. 10-0-0 for the win.

13 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

I'm only going on the statistics of what has happened so far. He might never score a goal again but from his 12 appearances, he has 7 goals and I was trying to put that into perspective of a whole season, so people can see the potential value of having a genuine goal scorer in the team. 

For a striker, I don't see his liability as a defender, He is not as good at Ulloa defending set plays/corners etc so far but he is quicker to close down and runs more and more importantly for me, scores more. 

As I've said, my doubt is being able to have him AND Vardy play together as the importance of Okazaki and his no.10 role can not be underestimated, so that's why I think it would be good to see him and Vardy paired in the remaining Premier League games whenever possible. 

If you have stats to prove that we concede more with him and Vardy in the team, then fair enough and I'll certainly keep an eye on his pressing and tracking back, as I think it has been pretty good to be honest. I watched his performance against West Ham again as he was accused by some of being lazy and I recommend anyone who thought he was, to watch it as you might be surprised how hard he worked and pressed. 

Archived