Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

I'll say it again. Slim is a (roughly) 20 goal a season striker if he is a regular starter, for me.

And they don't come cheap in the PL, so I don't think we paid that much over the odds really. Yes he can't press like Vards and Shinji because of his size, but he generally has a decent go at it, something that Leo (Bless him!) simply cannot, much as we love him.

I'm not saying he has been great this season, but given we were struggling for most of it, I'm quite happy to keep him. If Vardy ever gets crocked (or becalmed for 20 games!), Slim is a man who can find the net on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, the fox said:

Ask any sporting or Algerian fan, he leaves it all on the pitch, but until he shows that consistently here, you have the right to question his intensity.

There's a bit of a difference playing for your club or playing for your country (or playing in the Liga NOS against mostly crap teams).

Pride and the quality of opposition (or lack thereof) being two key elements.

1 hour ago, the fox said:

:wes:

Didn't do any such thing, I only said i believe slimani is better, that's all, ulloa is a good striker but I don't see him as the next step moving forward, 

Well, that's bias.

You've hardly seen enough of Ulloa to form a valid opinion - unlike with Slimani, whom you've followed and known for years.

Just now, MC Prussian said:

There's a bit of a difference playing for your club or playing for your country (or playing in the Liga NOS against mostly crap teams).

Pride and the quality of opposition (or lack thereof) being two key elements.

And that's why I said "he needs to show it consistently", okazaki has 50 goals with the national team but can't buy a goal for us.

Well, that's bias.

You've hardly seen enough of Ulloa to form a valid opinion - unlike with Slimani, whom you've followed and known for years.

Don't you think more than 2 years of is more than enough?

Quite interesting how so many can see such opposites in a player.

I respect the views of others as we all have an opinion but for me the biggest thing about Slim which has disappointed me is his attitude and despite what people may believe it is a fact that he came in with a high opinion of himself - sadly I think those that want to see him prove the doubters wrong maybe disappointed as I think he will be on his way especially if Shakey gets the job full-time.

Personally think like others have posted that had we paid £15m that we would be pleased with the return but £30m is way over the top and also he does not fit the way we play - hopefully we sign a quality No.10 as competition for Shinji and a Vardyesque type of No.9 to provide competition.

4 minutes ago, the fox said:

And that's why I said "he needs to show it consistently", okazaki has 50 goals with the national team but can't buy a goal for us.

That's because he's being played in a different role and has faced weak opposition in about 50% of all cases with the national squad (Hong Kong, Tajikistan, Latvia, Afghanistan, etc.).

I thought you knew your football?

Got to love a bit of sentiment. People haven't seen much of Ulloa this season and all of a sudden he's better than Zlatan lol.

Bang average player who did ok at the start and finish of our great escape season  (don't forget he disappeared in the middle of the season for months). He's actually not that great in the air at all, loses so many 50/50s. Positioning is poor and all he has is work rate. Slimani is a considerably better player with far more assets and is a better goalscorer. If we saw Ulloa every week, people would soon remember how average he actually is.

That's because he's played in a different role and has faced weak opposition in about 50% of all cases with the national squad.

I thought you knew your football?

Isn't slimani playing a deferent role here?

I thought you knew your football?:P

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

Don't you think more than 2 years of is more than enough?

One of them two years with hardly any Ulloa playing at all, or in a different system under a different manager, with different competition for places?

Not really.

If you put it on a balance with your support for Slimani (and les Fennecs), it pales in comparison.

Guest bennytwohats

The money could have been much better spent. Not sure anyone could disagree with that.

Putting aside the question marks over his attitude and ability, he doesn't fit our system. Almost doubling your transfer record fee for someone who will sit on the bench can't be seen as anything other than bad business.

Personally I've been pretty disappointed by much of what I've seen from him. If we can recoup what we spent in the summer we should jump at the chance. If it's a question of taking a massive hit in his cost then I then hold on to see if he comes good.

51 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Slimani's workrate/defensive contribution comes in patches. One minute he's a workhorse, next minute he's jogging.

Our defending from the front needs to be relentless.

This is probably the biggest issue for me.

I love Slim, especially the more he adapts to our slightly unusual system. And his goals are undeniable, that they are there and that they are taken excellently. But defending from the front is such a huge part of a winning Leicester side.

He can defend from the front and is doing this a little more, but he can't touch Vardy's out of nowhere call-to-arms sliding tackles or Shinji's Tasmanian Devilesq exploits in the middle of the pitch. May he continue to improve here.

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

One of them two years with hardly any Ulloa playing at all, or in a different system under a different manager, with different competition for places?

Not really.

If you put it on a balance with your support for Slimani (and les Fennecs), it pales in comparison.

You sure don't mind making excuses for ulloa while not given slim a break, seems a little inconsistent, don't you say?

And just to add, I'm proud to support my country, but there is no tinted glasses in the world that can make me see and say that a bad player is good just because we happened to share the same nationality

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You brought up Okazaki first.

Imbecile comparison.

Imbecile is a little strong, don't you think? That's besides the point, okazaki is playing out of position, slimani is playing out of position but slim still has an end-product. 

8 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

The money could have been much better spent. Not sure anyone could disagree with that.

Putting aside the question marks over his attitude and ability, he doesn't fit our system. Almost doubling your transfer record fee for someone who will sit on the bench can't be seen as anything other than bad business.

Personally I've been pretty disappointed by much of what I've seen from him. If we can recoup what we spent in the summer we should jump at the chance. If it's a question of taking a massive hit in his cost then I then hold on to see if he comes good.

Only missing some Nazi music and this could pass as propagandalollolyou didn't hold back, not even a little.

Guest bennytwohats
1 minute ago, the fox said:

Only missing some Nazi music and this could pass as propagandalollolyou didn't hold back, not even a little.

Huh? What part of that don't you think is fair?

1 minute ago, bennytwohats said:

Huh? What part of that don't you think is fair?

The part when you just pointed out all his negatives and missed somethings like, his important goals and assists for example, or the fact that he has the best minute to goal ratio, you know, the little things.

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

You sure don't mind making excuses for ulloa while not given slim a break, seems a little inconsistent, don't you say?

And just to add, I'm proud to support my country, but there is no tinted glasses in the world that can make me see and say that a bad player is good just because we happened to share the same nationality

Imbecile is a little strong, don't you think? That's besides the point, okazaki is playing out of position, slimani is playing out of position but slim still has an end-product. 

You don't get me, I'm coming to Ulloa's rescue because I think you're slating him unfairly. Ulloa has been a worthwhile addition to our squad in good times and in bad times, never complaining about his lack of playing time (up until the issues under Ranieri). He's also put in a quite the shift in defense, if needed to be. I can recall numerous times when he played as an additional centre-back due to his height and heading abilities when we were faced with opposing free-kicks and corners. He's underrated because of his bit-part role within the team.

We bought him for £7m if I remember correctly - which was quite the sum some two, three years ago. And looking back, he's pretty much repaid that with goals aplenty (next to Vardy).

We can go in circles as much as we want to. Until Slimani has repaid his transfer fee and played a more consistent and essential role within the squad, the critics won't go away. And he does have his limitations. His first touch and goalscoring decisions in one-on-ones seem to be way off - no complaints about his positioning when going for headers, mind. But didn't he give Everton's second goal away with a mistimed challenge or header in midfield on Sunday?

You don't get me, I'm coming to Ulloa's rescue because I think you're slating him unfairly. Ulloa has been a worthwhile addition to our squad in good times and in bad times, never complaining about his lack of playing time (up until the issues under Ranieri). He's also put in a quite the shift in defense, if needed to be. I can recall numerous times when he played as an additional centre-back due to his height and heading abilities when we were faced with opposing free-kicks and corners. He's underrated because of his bit-part role within the team.

We bought him for £7m if I remember correctly - which was quite the sum some two, three years ago. And looking back, he's pretty much repaid that with goals aplenty (next to Vardy).

We can go in circles as much as we want to. Until Slimani has repaid his transfer fee and played a more consistent and essential role within the squad, the critics won't go away. And he does have his limitations. His first touch and goalscoring decisions in one-on-ones seem to be way off - no complaints about his positioning when going for headers, mind. But didn't he give Everton's second goal away with a mistimed challenge or header in midfield on Sunday?

Excellent post

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

You thought "imbecile" was inappropriate when it comes to your comparisons?

Think again.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just to make a comparison, we paid roughly the same for Slimani as Everton did for Lukaku.

They look poles apart in terms of ability. 

..in July 2014. What would he have cost July 2016 if he was same age/ability etc. Probably 40-50 million, judging by how things have changed in the last couple of years in terms of vastly inflated transfer fees.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just to make a comparison, we paid roughly the same for Slimani as Everton did for Lukaku.

And man city paid about 300 times as much for sterling as we did for mahrez.

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

But 20 million less than Chelsea paid for Torres. See what your saying but comparisons like that can be bent to suit your opinion.

plus Lukaku has been there years now and improved with time.

Archived