Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

1 minute ago, Grewks said:

It doesn't make Albrighton 'more useful' though.

Albrighton has had as much space this season than Mahrez did last, and quite clearly, he's nowhere near the level if we want to progress.

Well it does if he is able to contribute more, which he is and has been for the last couple of months. 

If Mahrez is going to get marked out of the game every match or unable to have an impact like he used to, then how is he more useful than Albrighton?

Just now, Grewks said:

It's quite simple.

Albrighton gets so much more room because teams don't fear him.

Why would they?

I understand that! I am not questioning that. Albrighton gets more free space. Mahrez doesn't. 

We have seen this most of the season. That will not change. Mahrez will always get doubled up on and unless he can improve, he will not have much impact on the game. 

Albrighton is given more space and has been having more of an impact on the game and therefore has been more useful. 

As I said.. he won us the game against Sunderland with two great assists. He scored against Everton, assisted another goal at West Ham and got us through to the quarter finals of the Champions League with his goal against Sevilla. 

How has he not been useful?  

I haven't said he isn't 'useful'...he just isn't good enough if we want to improve as a side.

If Mahrez doesn't get doubled up on, Albrighton doesn't become 'useful'.

Remove Mahrez from the side, you remove Albrighton's offensive 'usefulness'.

I haven't said he isn't 'useful'...he just isn't good enough if we want to improve as a side.

If Mahrez doesn't get doubled up on, Albrighton doesn't become 'useful'.

Remove Mahrez from the side, you remove Albrighton's offensive 'usefulness'.

I disagree. Players on the right side doubling up on Mahrez doesn't give Albrighton freedom down the left side. 

I agree that Mahrez is limited by what he can do by being doubled up on and also his drop in form.

Having Gray in for Mahrez on the RW will not mean Albrighton suddenly has less space on the left 

Now if your argument was that if we could have another Mahrez type player on the LW, that also needed doubling up on, then that would make more sense, however as many have alluded to before and a similar argument for Okazaki, we can't underestimate the usefulness of having some incredibly hard workers and runners in the team and how their energy really helps the rest of the team in being so successful. Having two wingers like Mahrez in the same team would not work in my opinion as it would leave both LB and RB too exposed and neither would do the hard running and graft that a player like Albrighton offers. 

It's a strange time to be calling out Albrighton too after he has been our best player for the last couple of months. If anything, Mahrez is the one that should be questioned and I think is in other threads.

Honestly i stopped reading when you said doubling up on mahrez wouldn't give Albrighton more space.

It gives everyone more space.

Does doubling up on Mahrez on the right side of the pitch mean that the LB and LW leave their positions? No. They are the ones marking Albrighton. 

Just now, Grewks said:

It doesn't work like that though....

It does for a LW 

Mahrez will create space pulling two players towards him on that side and Vardy, Okazaki and Simpson will benefit from that but Albrighton will still have the LB and LW or LCM in position. He isn't left with the whole left side just because Mahrez has drawn two players on the other side of the pitch.

You still haven't acknowledged that Albrighton has been on our best player in the last couple of months and got assists and goals? 

Hardly a player you should talk about dropping :rolleyes:

Just now, Grewks said:

Never once did i say he should be dropped...

Just that he should be improved upon in the summer.

If we have ambition to continue progressing anyway.

Dropped for next season then.

In my opinion, he is performing well in the Premier League and well in the Champions League so not someone who needs dropping for next season.

I think we need to focus on a CB, a RB, a CM, a no.10 and depending what happens to Slimani/Ulloa, another striker. 

If we can improve on Albrighton too, then fair enough but at the moment, he is ahead of Mahrez and Gray and so I'm not seeing the urgency on an upgrade on him specifically.

He continues to surprise me and played a huge role in our title success last season and also has been the best winger this season for his overall contribution to the team. 

He is not as technically good as Mahrez and cannot match Mahrez when he is on it, but how many times this season have we seen Mahrez on it? 

Anyway, I am not debating who is better as such. I am saying that Albrighton rightly deserves to be starting and if he continues this form, deserves to be starting at the beginning of next season too.

4 minutes ago, Grewks said:

If we offered every side remaining in the competition the choice between Mahrez or Albrighton on a free....none would take Albrighton.

To be a 'top side', we need to get the best out of Mahrez, not albrighton.

Yup, don't disagree there. Still not seeing how that relates to dropping one of our best performing players for next season 

7 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Sad to see a fellow Leicester fan get so deep into an an arguement where he actually wants his own player to play badly so he can win the argument. 

21 years a Leicester fan. Near enough 30 million pounds as a record signing well spent?

We were defending for our lives when Slim came on, granted; but he did NAFF ALL at all, defensively or otherwise.signing

Btw- I really want him to do well. Just like I wanted Hernandez to.

43 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

21 years a Leicester fan. Near enough 30 million pounds as a record signing well spent?

We were defending for our lives when Slim came on, granted; but he did NAFF ALL at all, defensively or otherwise.signing

Btw- I really want him to do well. Just like I wanted Hernandez to.

Maybe he was just following Shakespeare's instructions to wait for us to attack - which we couldn't really as the players were either exhausted or poor. Only thing I remember if a King cross that was overhit. 

This thread will still be going in 10 years I reckon

8 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Don't think he even managed to get into the box, where he is at his best. Hopefully he can when we play on Tuesday as we know what he can do with a good delivery put in there.

I thought for all their organisation, they looked a little vulnerable from crosses and Fuch's long throws. If we had Slimani or Ulloa in there, then think we could have done some damage

In LaLiga they're known to pack the middle to force the opponent to play wide. Their defenders can handle crosses.

I saw the match again. Tonight, they just had to swarm Mahrez and that was it. With King as "CAM", even if it was defensively an excellent Sub, there was simply no way Vardy or Slim would get more than one or two chances, if any.

Albrighton made some great runs although not always with a good end product. There was actually plenty of spaces in the second half, mostly due to the tight marking of Mahrez. A good CM should have profited from it. Alas...

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Maybe he was just following Shakespeare's instructions to wait for us to attack - which we couldn't really as the players were either exhausted or poor. Only thing I remember if a King cross that was overhit. 

This thread will still be going in 10 years I reckon

I doubt it will go beyond August. Sadly, I think that the relationship between Leicester and everything algerian is going to be ended by mutual consent, each accusing the other of not accomodating or misfiring. Mahrez will probably leave for la liga where he will get hundreds of free-kicks a game, and Slimani to China where he will outjump most chinese defenders. The 31/14 y o algerian facebookers will have to learn basic spanish/chinese and bandwagoners like me will look less ridiculous by pretending to be true. No offense but Blue Collar for God sake, what was I on? lol

4 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

In LaLiga they're known to pack the middle to force the opponent to play wide. Their defenders can handle crosses.

I saw the match again. Tonight, they just had to swarm Mahrez and that was it. With King as "CAM", even if it was defensively an excellent Sub, there was simply no way Vardy or Slim would get more than one or two chances, if any.

Albrighton made some great runs although not always with a good end product. There was actually plenty of spaces in the second half, mostly due to the tight marking of Mahrez. A good CM should have profited from it. Alas...

Slim doesn't need many chances to score ... I can't help but feel if he started instead of Shinji, we'd lead. 

Slimani is one of those frustrating footballers where you know he has the talent to rip defences apart and dominate Ariel battles,he blows hot and cold sometimes doesn't look interested and other times will attack any ball that comes near him !

You feel like giving him a kick up the arse and tell him to fight for everything instead of just watching the ball go past him without trying to go for it !!

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

I know he divides opinion but i cant help think tonight was made for big slim.

Such a shame he's injured would have fancied him for a 6 yard box special goal.

The problem was that our crosses weren't great, if they were, Ulloa probably would've scored. Chillwell in particular needs to start practising.

Overall Slim's not mobile enough for us and hopefully the Chinese come in with a decent offer. Rudders needs to get on the phone to Sven.

Archived