Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

58ecd9a0b83f8_SlimaniVardy.thumb.png.65fac02d392039e0bc9cd86d0fa5680d.png

Its funny that you used "per game" instead of "per 90 minutes", because slim came off the bench a few times, for a person who hates stats, you sure like to cherry pick, here, have a taste.

IMG_20170411_150120.thumb.jpg.80d7f47b650094a6aabcc119fdce1e62.jpgIMG_20170411_151417.thumb.jpg.3b2faeb8859f076f01a0527fcd3f3c2a.jpg

that's too easy, at least make it a little challenginglol

8 minutes ago, the fox said:

Its funny that you used "per game" instead of "per 90 minutes", because slim came of the bench a few times, for a person who hates stats, you sure like to cherry pick, here, have a taste.

--snip--

that's to easy, at least make it a little challenginglol

LMAO! Not to mention the fact that nobody is arguing the fact that Slimani is better than Vardy, or vice versa.  Both are good, different players. You have two good strikers, that can play alongside each other as we've seen VS Sunderland. So why compare them? 

This ish reminds me of Real Madrid fans with Bale. The guy puts in 110% and they still hate him. WHY? Don't you want the best for the club you support?

1 minute ago, the fox said:

Its funny that you used "per game" instead of "per 90 minutes", because slim came of the bench affair few times, for a person who hates stats, you sure like to cherry pick, here, have a taste.

IMG_20170411_150120.thumb.jpg.80d7f47b650094a6aabcc119fdce1e62.jpgIMG_20170411_150106.thumb.jpg.7226872273491b7b8092f79fad85a6aa.jpg

that's to easy, at least make it a little challenginglol

His stats are impressive. No doubt and anyone arguing that are just not being honest with themselves.

Vardy is the better striker for Leicester because he fits our style perfectly and actually you could argue that the style was created around him.

Okazaki fits into our system and does a good job, but could it be better? That is my main question and why I still want to see Slimani and Vardy given more time. It worked well against Stoke and Sunderland with two wins and two clean sheets. There is no harm in trying to improve in certain areas, and taking the burden from Vardy to score all the goals is one area we have looked at with Slimani. 

All these definitive assumptions of how we will concede more etc are still unfounded. What isn't, is that Slimani is scoring goals and at a better rate than any of our other strikers, so if there is a way for us to have him and Vardy play together, then we could have a very clinical strikeforce. Lets give it time before we write it off. 

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I'm only going on the statistics of what has happened so far. He might never score a goal again but from his 12 appearances, he has 7 goals and I was trying to put that into perspective of a whole season, so people can see the potential value of having a genuine goal scorer in the team. 

For a striker, I don't see his liability as a defender, He is not as good at Ulloa defending set plays/corners etc so far but he is quicker to close down and runs more and more importantly for me, scores more. 

As I've said, my doubt is being able to have him AND Vardy play together as the importance of Okazaki and his no.10 role can not be underestimated, so that's why I think it would be good to see him and Vardy paired in the remaining Premier League games whenever possible. 

If you have stats to prove that we concede more with him and Vardy in the team, then fair enough and I'll certainly keep an eye on his pressing and tracking back, as I think it has been pretty good to be honest. I watched his performance against West Ham again as he was accused by some of being lazy and I recommend anyone who thought he was, to watch it as you might be surprised how hard he worked and pressed. 

Spot on.

I also have my doubts and I honestly don't think that we will see them associated much for the rest of the season as results will prime above anything else.No time for tinkering. Next season maybe, if he stays that is.

Anyone who's still expecting in Slim an Okazaki who scores is in for a big disappointement. It simply isn't his profile. Period. Still can't believe the amount of vitriol he's getting on a daily basis after proving many times that he's decisive and doesn't need much to net in.

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

His stats are impressive. No doubt and anyone arguing that are just not being honest with themselves.

Vardy is the better striker for Leicester because he fits our style perfectly and actually you could argue that the style was created around him.

Okazaki fits into our system and does a good job, but could it be better? That is my main question and why I still want to see Slimani and Vardy given more time. It worked well against Stoke and Sunderland with two wins and two clean sheets. There is no harm in trying to improve in certain areas, and taking the burden from Vardy to score all the goals is one area we have looked at with Slimani. 

All these definitive assumptions of how we will concede more etc are still unfounded. What isn't, is that Slimani is scoring goals and at a better rate than any of our other strikers, so if there is a way for us to have him and Vardy play together, then we could have a very clinical strikeforce. Lets give it time before we write it off. 

There is mate! Vardy on the counter, Slimani on the set pieces/crosses. 

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Like I said before, I have a theory, its all down to drinky and his "inability" to push forward, we are too flat because he stands in front of the CBs(with n'didi), he should be higher up the field because he is supposed to be our box to box, addthe lack of passing quality in wes and huth and that will force our CM to play even  deeper. And that's way okazaki is so important.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

Spot on.

I also have my doubts and I honestly don't think that we will see them associated much for the rest of the season as results will prime above anything else.No time for tinkering. Next season maybe, if he stays that is.

Anyone who's still expecting in Slim an Okazaki who scores is in for a big disappointement. It simply isn't his profile. Period. Still can't believe the amount of vitriol he's getting on a daily basis after proving many times that he's decisive and doesn't much to net in.

In an ideal world, he would be happy being a back-up striker to Vardy as he would give us a perfect plan B from the bench. Someone you know could come on if we were struggling and cause havoc in the box with his movement and heading ability. We could then stick to our tried and tested 4-4-1-1 and look to have Sigurdsson share the number 10 role with Okazaki. 

Can't see Slimani sticking around long if that were the case though and for a striker of his quality, he should be starting. Obviously Vardy is our no.1 striker and so can we have them play together? I think we can, but maybe not in this system, as with 2 CM's, we need a no.10 to drop deep and do lots of dog work and although I think Slimani is doing OK at that, I think he is at his best when he is the focal point for the attack. 

For me it's pretty clear. Is Slimani good enough for Leicester City and the Premier League? Yes. 

Can Slimani and Vardy play together? Yes. They have already proved they can. 

Are we getting the best out of them when played together AND the best out of the system we play? Not yet and maybe never will. 

Do we therefore change the system to incorporate Vardy and Slimani or do we keep the 4-4-1-1, bench Slimani and keep him there as long as we can or move him on. 

7 minutes ago, the fox said:

Like I said before, I have a theory, its all down to drinky and his "inability" to push forward, we are too flat because he stands in front of the CBs(with n'didi), he should be higher up the field because he is supposed to be our box to box, addthe lack of passing quality in wes and huth and that will force our CM to play even  deeper. And that's way okazaki is so important.

Can you remember when Vardy and Ulloa played together a number of times last season? I don't know the exact number but when you think Vardy played nearly every minute and Ulloa had 29 appearances and many the season before with Vardy (albeit different formation). 

Ulloa is a very different striker to Okazaki and certainly not a number 10 or grafter like Okazaki, yet him and Vardy were a very successful partnership for us. 

This is why I think although many of us have our doubts, to write off Slimani and Vardy so early is a mistake. If anything, Slimani is more similar to Okazaki than Ulloa is to him, and presses and covers ground more, so if we can have prolongued success with Vardy and Ulloa last season in games in a 4-4-2, then why can't Vardy and Slimani be given the chance?

I don't underestimate Okazaki's influence on games but I also won't yet discount Slimani's value to a team, especially when we have had some success with Slimani and Vardy already and Ulloa proved that we don't have to have Okazaki to be successful in a 4-4-2. 

13 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

1-Can you remember when Vardy and Ulloa played together a number of times last season? I don't know the exact number but when you think Vardy played nearly every minute and Ulloa had 29 appearances and many the season before with Vardy (albeit different formation). 

Ulloa is a very different striker to Okazaki and certainly not a number 10 or grafter like Okazaki, yet him and Vardy were a very successful partnership for us. 

This is why I think although many of us have our doubts, to write off Slimani and Vardy so early is a mistake. If anything, Slimani is more similar to Okazaki than Ulloa is to him, and presses and covers ground more, so if we can have prolongued success with Vardy and Ulloa last season in games in a 4-4-2, then why can't Vardy and Slimani be given the chance?

I don't underestimate Okazaki's influence on games but I also won't yet discount Slimani's value to a team, especially when we have had some success with Slimani and Vardy already and Ulloa proved that we don't have to have Okazaki to be successful in a 4-4-2. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but, kantè covered a lot of ground and by that closing the gap in the midfield.

2 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Leo reported as £8-10 million, so about a third of Slim's price, which will be partly explained by CL experience, I guess.

Funny thing is, I like Leo, and I like Slim too!

That's 2014 prices don't forget. £8-10 million in 2016 prices would probably be about £15-16 million 

Scary to think how high the prices will go! 

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

I know I sound like a broken record, but, kantè covered a lot of ground and by that closing the gap in the midfield.

I agree he covered a lot of ground and also Drinky was in far better form but N'didi is really growing into his role. There are also other teams that have made a success of the flat 4-4-2 without a Kante and with two out and out strikers. Deeney and Ighalo last season for example were outstanding. 

I think the proof will be in the pudding. If Shakey plays Vardy and Slimani together a good handful more times in the league and without the distraction of the Champions League or a weakened side etc, then we will soon see how well it can work. If we are conceding goals due to the Slimani being in the team, then I will certainly acknowledge it and if we see more performances similar to that of Sunderland with both Vardy and Slimani scoring and keeping a clean sheet, then there is certainly reason to be hopeful for the future. We haven't had two genuine goal scoring strikers for a quite a while it seems. 

42 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

In an ideal world, he would be happy being a back-up striker to Vardy as he would give us a perfect plan B from the bench. Someone you know could come on if we were struggling and cause havoc in the box with his movement and heading ability. We could then stick to our tried and tested 4-4-1-1 and look to have Sigurdsson share the number 10 role with Okazaki. 

Can't see Slimani sticking around long if that were the case though and for a striker of his quality, he should be starting. Obviously Vardy is our no.1 striker and so can we have them play together? I think we can, but maybe not in this system, as with 2 CM's, we need a no.10 to drop deep and do lots of dog work and although I think Slimani is doing OK at that, I think he is at his best when he is the focal point for the attack. 

For me it's pretty clear. Is Slimani good enough for Leicester City and the Premier League? Yes. 

Can Slimani and Vardy play together? Yes. They have already proved they can. 

Are we getting the best out of them when played together AND the best out of the system we play? Not yet and maybe never will. 

Do we therefore change the system to incorporate Vardy and Slimani or do we keep the 4-4-1-1, bench Slimani and keep him there as long as we can or move him on. 

I can't see him playing the super sub too. He has too much quality to be on the bench. He needs a team who plays his game like Swansea with Llorente.

Was about to write the same. Spot on. I'm pretty sure he can play with Vardy. But the problem is the defensive phase since he's no Shinji. So either upgrade the midfield or let him go.

1 hour ago, foxes21 said:

Its easy to say he'd score 22 goals in 38 appearances but how many more goals would we concede, because of his lack of ability to defend from the front? Yes he is a liability defending from the front, because one minute he's pressing hard and tracking back, next minute he's not busting a gut to get back into position to block off the opponents passing lanes.

No I'm confused, what is the main point of a striker? Defending or scoring? With this comment I honestly don't know, I thought strikers are supposed to score and CB supposed to defend, but with this comment I honestly got confused.

6 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

No I'm confused, what is the main point of a striker? Defending or scoring? With this comment I honestly don't know, I thought strikers are supposed to score and CB supposed to defend, but with this comment I honestly got confused.

Well if he's going to play regularly for us it's going to be at number 10 instead of Okazaki and defensive contribution is very important in that position.

1 minute ago, foxes21 said:

Well if he's going to play regularly for us it's going to be at number 10 in Okazaki's position and defensive contribution is very important in that position.

It is important closing down, now saying you concede goals because he doesn't defend what the heck is that? He closes down and works hards pressuring, although not as good as Okazaki and sometimes he jogs to much. But he doesn't need to defend, that is the defenders job, how can you say you concede goals because he doesn't defend? That doesn't make any sense.

8 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

It's really a bit more complicated than simply saying 1 player has only one job. I thought you saw what made us so successful last season?

Just now, Emilio Lestavez said:

It's really a bit more complicated than simply saying 1 player has only one job. I thought you saw what made us so successful last season?

I did. Not saying they only have one job, that was me trying to prove a point only. I know that Leicester were champions because they had a system that all team would help in all stages of the game, I gathered that. But saying you concede more goals because he doesn't defend doesn't make any sense. And of course 1 player doesn't have only one job, football is way more complex than that, but the main focus of a striker is to score.

7 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

I did. Not saying they only have one job, that was me trying to prove a point only. I know that Leicester were champions because they had a system that all team would help in all stages of the game, I gathered that. But saying you concede more goals because he doesn't defend doesn't make any sense. And of course 1 player doesn't have only one job, football is way more complex than that, but the main focus of a striker is to score.

You do realise it's not an attack on Slimani, right? 

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

For the love of sanity please close this thread, :sge:

No way! This has the potential to be the first Maynard length thread that doesn't directly relate to transfer speculation :D

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You do realise it's not an attack on Slimani, right? 

The previous post from foxes21, I think was saying that with Slimani in the team we concede more goals, it wasn't an attack on Slimani, but it didn't make sense and I was just correcting him nothing more.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

That's 2014 prices don't forget. £8-10 million in 2016 prices would probably be about £15-16 million 

Scary to think how high the prices will go! 

Inflation would see the £8m paid for Ulloa in 2014 rise to an extortionate £8.2m today.

So, please no more scaremongering with inflation! :D

Archived