Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

7 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I watched the second half and we seemed to be parking the bus against a team that couldn't score to save their lives. It was very enjoyable to see a hoof ball to Ulloa and 0 people near him. 

Do you think that's why they couldn't score?

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Babylon in playing anything down shocker!

Once more, I doubt anyone thought in our wildest dreams we'd do what we did last season.

Neither did most of us think we'd have to endure the shite we had to today. And to attain 3 points from 30 away from home, without a win all season.

If you're trying for perspective, lets have some maybe?

Playing things down? If anyone really expected us to be contenders regularly then they are stupid quite frankly. It was never going to happen. 

If if they mean a contender for 7th or 8th like everyone outside those who spend hundreds of millions regularly then we very much are still contending for that.

I dont want want to be in a relegation battle, and the manager for me has been very poor this year. But d spite that we're still in that position of us only gaining a bit of form and shooting up the league. I don't think we can be much worse as already stated.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep this is the crying shame of the situation, probably worthy of a thread all by itself. I put a lot of blame on recruitment - today we had Musa and Mendy on, both of whom were at one stage record signings for us. Our performance as a team was a defensive one so hard to single players out, but you'd have hoped that the signings we made would take us to the next level. Neither really looked anything special. But then if we signed true superstars if may have ruined the culture we have at the club.

This is a very competitive league and we found ourselves in a truly unique situation. Some other teams (Wolfsburg, Montpellier) have had a shock win, but to do it in the Premier League with the money thrown around is truly a one-off. It's easy to crtiticise, but our owners kept all but one player (trying damned hard to keep him) and broke our transfer record three times in one summer. What else could they really have done? We all know we got the wrong players, but now we have to deal with it!

Don't forget that Chelsea and Liverpool who are currently 1st and 2nd did not qualify for Europe... we did! That is the insanity of this league. We would all like to see our team push onwards and upwards but it's tough. We don't have the money of the big 5 or 6, we don't have a killer academy that produces top young talent. Probably our only chance of success is to keep unearthing hidden gems via our scouting team, but as proved this season, that is very hard to do. We have been signing young players and integrating them into the first team, so there is some semblance of a strategy or long-term plan at the club. Every team in the league is ambitious and trying to improve over time... it's not easy at all.

Somehow we found the most unlikely set of characters ever that came together to give hope to everyone in the world! That was the magic of what we achieved. We have definitely underachieved this season (or have we?) but I don't think it's a case of a magic bullet solving everything. Because we are champions in our minds we think it's ludicrous to have done so badly this season. But we were unconventional champions, we didn't batter teams non-stop for 90 minutes and in fact a large number of games last year were just like the one today, except last season we snuck a goal from somewhere and held out for the win. So maybe our expectations are too high? All I can say is that we are still living in a magical era for the club and as the song goes "through the good times and the bad, we always back the lads".

Now THAT's perspective.

We've gone from a free-flowing, attacking, goal-scoring side who played with no fear and got onto the front foot at every opportunity.

To.....a game where people are spaffing over Amartey being our best player in a nil-nil borefest where we hardly had a shot and got no-one within a mile of our strikers for pretty much the whole game.

And people are 'pleased' with a point.

I guess its all relative. Being pleased with a point this season reflects just how far we've regressed in terms of how we play football.

Just now, Webbo said:

Do you think that's why they couldn't score?

I could have phrased that better. We were parking the bus but they still had chances that you'd expect other teams to score or even hit the target with. Morgan created a couple chances for them alone. We dealt with their crosses very well though, luckily Adama Traore can't kick a ball. 

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

I could have phrased that better. We were parking the bus but they still had chances that you'd expect other teams to score or even hit the target with. Morgan created a couple chances for them alone. We dealt with their crosses very well though, luckily Adama Traore can't kick a ball. 

Was thinking this.

He's the perfect example of someone who's benefited from having pushy parents who've got him into an established academy from a young age, and although he's not very good at football - he's basically been made into a machine physically which has guaranteed him a career at the top level for life. 

He's basically Boro's version of Jeff.

I'm not grumbling. Undefeated 2 in a row out of 3 festive games... Battling against the puppet masters and their ridiculously disproportionate punishments towards us at the same time as injuries and players like Mendy just coming back after months away with only 1 full PL appearance before that.

Boro drew with us at the KP and have been pretty tough and unlucky, winning vs UTD at Old Trafford, only to lose very late, etc.. It's a good point from an ugly match.

As for Chelsea, if we didn't have players going to the AFCON I'd be pretty confident we could shock them. Still, they've been winning games narrowly and if Stoke can put 2 past them at Stamford Bridge, we have a chance to get something at home.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Now THAT's perspective.

We've gone from a free-flowing, attacking, goal-scoring side who played with no fear and got onto the front foot at every opportunity.

To.....a game where people are spaffing over Amartey being our best player in a nil-nil borefest where we hardly had a shot and got no-one within a mile of our strikers for pretty much the whole game.

I guess its all relative. Being pleased with a point this season reflects just how far we've regressed in terms of how we play football.

I wish this were true, but that's definitely not the case in terms of how we played at the second half of last season when teams figured us out a bit. 

14 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Parking the bus? Against Boro? Huh? I know Ranieri wanted to not ruin the effect produced victory against West ham but, really? Thank you for the input.

Look at the players we had available. Gray and Albrighton put in a massive shift on Saturday and clearly wouldn't have been able to start and see out possibly even 45 mins.

Defensive outlook was probably the best way forward. We didn't have the pace to counter and we actually defended really well. 

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Now THAT's perspective.

Free-flowing attacking football ... Hmm ... not even in my dreams ...

Our mentality this season has changed, for example how many times last season did we leave 3 up when defending a corner? This season I can't remember once.

i said before we don't miss kante's defensive side as much as we miss his driving runs and always being available to want the ball.

This sparked Vardy and Mahrez to counter at pace, we need someone in the centre mid who can carry the ball forward to free space in the final third.

5 minutes ago, Goober said:

I wish this were true, but that's definitely not the case in terms of how we played at the second half of last season when teams figured us out a bit. 

Is my ageing memory failing me or did we not score 4 at home in the final match of the season where we absolutely battered Everton?

I think you are forgetting the pace and momentum we played with this season to try to excuse the pedestrian way we are playing this.

Pleased with another clean sheet. Clean sheets will help us to progress through the Champs league so good we are getting into the habit now so we can peak for Sevilla.

Just hoping Mahrez, Vardy and Slim go up a few gears and peak for feb onwards - the business end of the season.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Is my ageing memory failing me or did we not score 4 at home in the final match of the season where we absolutely battered Everton?

I think you are forgetting the pace and momentum we played with this season to try to excuse the pedestrian way we are playing this.

memory's failing you mate. It was only 3 goals :D 

The football we now play on a weekly basis is diabolical. 

Our link up play is non existent and as for creativity there is none whatsoever. 

Defensivley the past two matches we've looked more solid but going forward and watching us as a team trying to keep the ball it is painful. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Look at the players we had available. Gray and Albrighton put in a massive shift on Saturday and clearly wouldn't have been able to start and see out possibly even 45 mins.

Defensive outlook was probably the best way forward. We didn't have the pace to counter and we actually defended really well. 

Oh, it's the second clean sheet in row and as far as i remember the first one away? I didn't see the match, it's just the part "parking the bus against Boro" that striked me as a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It is, it was only 3 goals and it wasn't the final match of the season. 

Just now, thegaffa said:

Our mentality this year has changed, for example how many times last season did we leave 3 up when defending a corner? This season I can't remember once.

i said I before we don't miss kante's defensive side as much as we miss his driving runs and always being available to want the ball.

This sparked Vardy and Mahrez to counter at pace, we need someone in the centre mid who can carry the ball forward to free space in the final third.

That was Kante's main quality. The ability to win the ball and to drive 10-20 yards is how he's playing at Chelsea.

Just now, Col city fan said:

lol

Cheers Stan!

however we scored 4 against Swansea in one of the last home games of the season. Vardy was suspended for that.

When the poster previously was questioning the free-flowing football, I presume he meant where we had to grind out several 1-0 victories from March onwards - Watford, Newcastle, Southampton, Palace, Norwich I believe. 

Just now, Col city fan said:

Not defending how shit we've been this season at all. Defending the way that after regularly being battered away from home this season, we've looked to sacrifice some attacking threat and take a good away point after winning at home. I reckon if we hadn't have beaten West Ham we'd have been a bit more attacking today. It was a good defensive performance and a step in the right direction, totally back to basics. We had half a first team today and made sure we took something from the game. In the future i'd much prefer us to go back to pressing teams high and passing the ball quickly, but today was not the day for that. It was time for a bit of pragmatism.

Archived