Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

No disagreement there. Now let's get an independent investigator hired and stick him on the stand to talk about stuff publicly and make the "speculation" fact ASAP before anything happens to him.

I'd have no problem getting the actual truth out there, no matter who it affects...IF of course there is some hidden truth there. I know there's no smoke without fire, but we just don't know right now. The only problem is, with things like this, no-one is truly 'independent' in such investigations, unfortunately. Besides...I think the Clinton's are the ones with a track record of people around them disappearing ;)

1 minute ago, Darkon84 said:

I'd have no problem getting the actual truth out there, no matter who it affects...IF of course there is some hidden truth there. I know there's no smoke without fire, but we just don't know right now. The only problem is, with things like this, no-one is truly 'independent' in such investigations, unfortunately. Besides...I think the Clinton's are the ones with a track record of people around them disappearing ;)

That's true - no matter who you pick there's going to be vested interest, unless there's some wise old lawyer who's been camped out in a cave in Alaska for the last few years. But I really do think what he has to say is important - there's a possible real nasty subversion of democracy happened here, alongside possible ones in other places, and finding out if that's happened or not and if there are parties responsible for it should be a priority.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That's true - no matter who you pick there's going to be vested interest, unless there's some wise old lawyer who's been camped out in a cave in Alaska for the last few years. But I really do think what he has to say is important - there's a possible real nasty subversion of democracy happened here, alongside possible ones in other places, and finding out if that's happened or not and if there are parties responsible for it should be a priority.

It's certainly important to hear what he has to say, either way, but I'd imagine that after leaving such a high profile position, there will be some form of gagging order, at least for 'x' amount of years. Unfortunately, all I envisage happening (at least in the short term) is both sides becoming further entrenched in their respective camps and more mud slinging, despite both sides wanting him gone at various times over the last year or so. You'd think a few sensible heads might be able to pop up above the parapet and say hey, this might actually give the FBI a bit of a shake up and it can almost start afresh, provided a suitable candidate is put in place. So many ifs and buts! Thing is, as far as I'm aware, the investigations will still be ongoing regardless. Removing Comey won't just halt all FBI investigations.

5 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

It's certainly important to hear what he has to say, either way, but I'd imagine that after leaving such a high profile position, there will be some form of gagging order, at least for 'x' amount of years. Unfortunately, all I envisage happening (at least in the short term) is both sides becoming further entrenched in their respective camps and more mud slinging, despite both sides wanting him gone at various times over the last year or so. You'd think a few sensible heads might be able to pop up above the parapet and say hey, this might actually give the FBI a bit of a shake up and it can almost start afresh, provided a suitable candidate is put in place. So many ifs and buts! Thing is, as far as I'm aware, the investigations will still be ongoing regardless. Removing Comey won't just halt all FBI investigations.

You're probably right. Both sides, after all, might like the chance to continue to use such methods in the future (if indeed they're being used now) so it's better for them that the truth doesn't come out. That's rather depressing.

Anyway, as I've said before - if both parties don't start thinking about future clean(ish) energy generation and spaceflight then not too far from now they'll have something to really argue about. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You're probably right. Both sides, after all, might like the chance to continue to use such methods in the future (if indeed they're being used now) so it's better for them that the truth doesn't come out. That's rather depressing.

Anyway, as I've said before - if both parties don't start thinking about future clean(ish) energy generation and spaceflight then not too far from now they'll have something to really argue about. :ph34r:

It's just a never ending shit-cycle I'm afraid. Haha is that the traditional Leicsmac underlying tone and warning of impending doom? lol

Despite working in the engineering industry and clean/renewable energy, no governments around the world really fill me confidence. The same way in which the technology for cheap and efficient electric cars is already there....real investment or application of such technologies won't occur until there's no more money left in carbon based energies. That's a discussion for another day though.

17 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

It's just a never ending shit-cycle I'm afraid. Haha is that the traditional Leicsmac underlying tone and warning of impending doom? lol

Despite working in the engineering industry and clean/renewable energy, no governments around the world really fill me confidence. The same way in which the technology for cheap and efficient electric cars is already there....real investment or application of such technologies won't occur until there's no more money left in carbon based energies. That's a discussion for another day though.

You didn't think I'd leave that out, did you? :D

But, in all seriousness, I totally agree regarding what you say about the energy tech - in fact I'm reasonably sure the current carbon energy companies are suppressing that tech until the time is right, viz. they've got all the money they can from nonrenewables. Just a pet conspiracy theory though.

FWIW Elon Musk is one of the few high-level business guys who gives me a lot of hope for the future - big ideas to change the future in a way that might be better for everyone and the will and money to at least attempt to see them through.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You didn't think I'd leave that out, did you? :D

But, in all seriousness, I totally agree regarding what you say about the energy tech - in fact I'm reasonably sure the current carbon energy companies are suppressing that tech until the time is right, viz. they've got all the money they can from nonrenewables. Just a pet conspiracy theory though.

FWIW Elon Musk is one of the few high-level business guys who gives me a lot of hope for the future - big ideas to change the future in a way that might be better for everyone and the will and money to at least attempt to see them through.

Ha, I thought there might have been a chance of getting through a discussion without your doom-mongering, but there it is!

I have to admit, you're not alone in that little conspiracy theory as it's something I've thought for quite some years myself, and when taking all things in to account, it's incredibly plausible. Only when the 'assets' have been stripped will the true low carbon/renewable/electronic energy tech be revealed. From a business point of view, you can't blame them, but it's beyond shitty to screw over the world's population and the Earth itself for short term monetary gain. Ah well. As previously said, that's something for another day.

There's something about Musk which I find a little questionable but I can't quite put my finger on what lol At least he's trying new things and moving things forward though. On the domestic front, I quite like Tesla's 'Powerwall' solar storage units and they have been a good step forward, considering the previous best were all the size of fridges!

2 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Ha, I thought there might have been a chance of getting through a discussion without your doom-mongering, but there it is!

I have to admit, you're not alone in that little conspiracy theory as it's something I've thought for quite some years myself, and when taking all things in to account, it's incredibly plausible. Only when the 'assets' have been stripped will the true low carbon/renewable/electronic energy tech be revealed. From a business point of view, you can't blame them, but it's beyond shitty to screw over the world's population and the Earth itself for short term monetary gain. Ah well. As previously said, that's something for another day.

There's something about Musk which I find a little questionable but I can't quite put my finger on what lol At least he's trying new things and moving things forward though. On the domestic front, I quite like Tesla's 'Powerwall' solar storage units and they have been a good step forward, considering the previous best were all the size of fridges!

I think it's almost expected of me on here at this point - hence me putting just a little bit in there! :P

Glad to think you reckon it's plausible too - like you said, it's fantastic business practice in the short term but in the long term it could end up causing trouble for everyone, themselves included.

Musk has also come out with a new lifetime-guaranteed solar roofing panel plan recently too, say what you like about the guy but he's not afraid to shake things up and say that something can't be done.

• Like 1

So we impeaching him or what?

He's fired the FBI director for something that happened ages and ages ago but very close to a investigation into Trump?

Is the new more pliable FBI director going to continue to investigation and find nada?

Are the Republicans, who I assumed would need to call the investigation into the impeachment, like "well, he's fired the chief investigating him for what might amount to treason more or less but at least we're in power dudes"?

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

So we impeaching him or what?

He's fired the FBI director for something that happened ages and ages ago but very close to a investigation into Trump?

Is the new more pliable FBI director going to continue to investigation and find nada?

Are the Republicans, who I assumed would need to call the investigation into the impeachment, like "well, he's fired the chief investigating him for what might amount to treason more or less but at least we're in power dudes"?

Well, put it this way: the Repub majorities in the House and Senate (both of which would be needed to make an impeachment stick) are going need to think that things are REALLY awful before they decide they're better off having Pence in there, with all the upheaval that would entail.

19 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

I'm sure he has. The investigations surrounding Weiner, Benghazi, Blumenthal, E-mails, and essentially re-writing law for Clinton would be amazing to hear :ph34r:

The flip-flopping of the left in the USA over this is hilarious. I'm pretty sure everyone wanted him sacked back in January, and now they're all condemning it and sticking up for him lol What a huge mess, on both sides.

Not really flip-flopping, you can want a person sacked but still see a sacking as being done at the wrong time, in the wrong way, for the wrong reasons

• Like 1

Hilarious http://www.economist.com/Trumptranscript

Economist: But beyond that it’s OK if the tax plan increases the deficit?
Trump: It is OK, because it won’t increase it for long. You may have two years where you’ll…you understand the expression “prime the pump”?

Yes.
We have to prime the pump.

It’s very Keynesian.
We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?

Priming the pump?
Yeah, have you heard it?

Yes.
Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven’t heard it. I mean, I just…I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It’s what you have to do.

It’s…
Yeah, what you have to do is you have to put something in before you can get something out.

• Like 2

And are you contemplating things outside of corporate income tax? For example a VAT, which many countries have?
Well, you know, a lot of people consider the border tax a form of VAT.

Are you still…
Part of the problem with NAFTA is that Mexico’s a VAT. So Mexico is paying almost…we pay 17%. So we are now down 17%, going into Mexico when we trade. So that’s like, you have a football team and every time they play a game, they’re down, you know, 25 points. How can you possibly do good?

But would you consider…
You could actually make the case, that the 17 is doubled. You can make that case. You know, it’s 17 and it’s really 17 and it’s a double.

????!

• Like 2

Maybe the last one for now:

Insurance is, you’re 20 years old, you just graduated from college, and you start paying $15 a month for the rest of your life and by the time you’re 70, and you really need it, you’re still paying the same amount and that’s really insurance.

He has no idea what the cost of insurance is ($15?!), and it seems he thinks you save up the money and use it at certain points in your life.

Guest MattP

That interview last night was unbelivable, he went on television and said he had already made the decision to fire him before the meeting, effectively contradicting the official staement and letting the World know he lied about it.

It was the political equivalent (on a smaller scale) of Richard Nixon meeting Woodward and Bernstein to give them the smoking gun tape.

The acting FBI director said Comey had the confidence of staff, again contradicting Trump.

Edit: Trump has now even said he was thinking of the Russia thing when deciding to sack him.

Incidentally what exactly are the links Russia? I've really not been following.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Maybe the last one for now:

He has no idea what the cost of insurance is ($15?!), and it seems he thinks you save up the money and use it at certain points in your life.

I read the entire transcript of that interview - wow! What incoherent nonsense. 

• Like 1

Good grief - the man is proving that he's so far out of his depth the fish have lights on their noses. I'd feel a certain amount of pity if it wasn't for the rise and emboldening of the sociopaths that his success has brought with it.

I think if this keeps going, soon perhaps purely in the interests of self-preservation and making sure they keep their seats some House Repubs would have to be at least considering action.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The acting FBI director said Comey had the confidence of staff, again contradicting Trump.

Edit: Trump has now even said he was thinking of the Russia thing when deciding to sack him.

Incidentally what exactly are the links Russia? I've really not been following.

Trump's companies allegedly have a lot of ties to Russia, there are accusations that his campaign staff colluded with Russia on the Clinton email hack and the timing of the subsequent data dumps, Putin allegedly has material to blackmail Trump with, and more... there's a lot of smoke, some of it more credible than others of course.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Good grief - the man is proving that he's so far out of his depth the fish have lights on their noses. I'd feel a certain amount of pity if it wasn't for the rise and emboldening of the sociopaths that his success has brought with it.

Agree and I will now be stealing that phrase.

• Like 1

WaPo and Buzzfeed reporting that highly classified info relating to ISIS was disclosed to the Russians last week in the Oval Office.

( "But her e-mails..."  "Lock. Her. Up." etc).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vacamion said:

WaPo and Buzzfeed reporting that highly classified info relating to ISIS was disclosed to the Russians last week in the Oval Office.

( "But her e-mails..."  "Lock. Her. Up." etc).

Either that or it'll just be dismissed as "fake news".

You do wonder when such matters will finally build up to critical mass, don't you?

Guest MattP

We now have a situation where members of the government and intelligence services can't trust the President with confidential information and national security secrets.

Absolutely bonkers.

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

We now have a situation where members of the government and intelligence services can't trust the President with confidential information and national security secrets.

Absolutely bonkers.

But I thought you thought he'd be a good thing? :P