Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

What do you think Claudio did wrong?

His only successful signing has been Kante.  

The following players were signed under his reign:

Hernandez 

Kante

Benalouane 

Gray

Mendy

Amartey

Slimani 

Musa

Zieler

Ndidi 

Inler

Kapustka 

12 signings. 2 defenders. 1 keeper. 5 midfielders. 4 attacking players.

Kante was exceptional. Gray and Ndidi look good but the rest have had little to no impact.

Ranieri was incapable of adding and rebuilding the team. Even if he kept us up I'm convinced he'd take us down next season. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Hernandez 

Kante

Benalouane 

Gray

Mendy

Amartey

Slimani 

Musa

Zieler

Ndidi 

Inler

Kapustka 

Kante was exceptional. Gray and Ndidi look good but the rest have had little to no impact.

Ranieri was incapable of adding and rebuilding the team. Even if he kept us up I'm convinced he'd take us down next season. 

Crikey...what a lot of garbage for a lot of money..he should have been sacked on that bloody list alone!

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Crikey...what a lot of garbage for a lot of money..he should have been sacked on that bloody list alone!

£110m that whole list.

Some of them might turn out to be good for us in the future but Christ that's a lot of money. Especially considering our last PL games 9 of the 11 starters were already at the club when Ranieri arrived.

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

£110m that whole list.

Some of them might turn out to be good for us in the future but Christ that's a lot of money. Especially considering our last PL games 9 of the 11 starters were already at the club when Ranieri arrived.

That was my first thought Koke...he wasn't even playing many of them! Bizarre

3 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Just a point though......There's some Walsh involvement there !

Both Slimani and Musa were mentioned as targets BEFORE NP 'left the building' plus, I understand, Mendy too had been identified as 'target number one' to shore things up early in 2015 with Kante as the 'back-up' option. Despite the history of Mendy playing under Ranieri, he wasn't signed on Claudio's recommendation.

Similarly, I believe, Zieler and Hernandez were put to CR as potential signings, not suggested by him.

Inler & Benny were the two  signings Claudio did influence and, whilst neither succeeded, I'd suggest that's a rather shorter list of 'dross' than we started with!

Gray, Ndidi, Kapustka, Amartey..???

All young, developing talents who may/may not turn out to be great for us...Surely naïve to write them off as failures though?

Thanks for pointing this out. Walsh had been tracking Musa for a considerable period of time and we actually tried to sign him earlier but were unable to do so.

100 million is an astronomical amount of money relative to the history of LCFC.

100 million is not that much relative to the financial expenditure of today's PL clubs.

An unpalatable truth for a lot us might be that sometimes signings don't work out. We have been spectacularly successful in recent years. It's been the opposite this year.

Before we start slagging CR off for 'his' signings it's worth remembering the signings he made when he was the Chelsea manager. At the time this was considered a colossal amount of money for a British club. But lots of the players that he brought in went on to form the successful side that Mourinho later managed.

What did CR do wrong?

1) Too defensive.

2) Unable to come up with a Plan B once everyone had sussed us out.

3) Too loyal. Should have dropped Huth and/or Morgan.

49 minutes ago, Koke said:

£110m that whole list.

N'Didi aside nearly all of the team that led the fightback in Sevilla was in place before Ranieri arrived.

Food for thought.

Just now, Jonno84 said:

Apparently okazaki liked a post on twitter about Claudio's sacking..

He probably did it by accident, his finger slipped and touched the like button - like he slips often on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

£110m that whole list.

One Pogba! 

..it's not that much for the champions of England to spend in all fairness. 

19 minutes ago, Kaewbudda said:

Thanks for pointing this out. Walsh had been tracking Musa for a considerable period of time and we actually tried to sign him earlier but were unable to do so.

100 million is not that much relative to the financial expenditure of today's PL clubs.

An unpalatable truth for a lot us might be that sometimes signings don't work out. We have been spectacularly successful in recent years. It's been the opposite this year.

Before we start slagging CR off for 'his' signings it's worth remembering the signings he made when he was the Chelsea manager. At the time this was considered a colossal amount of money for a British club. But lots of the players that he brought in went on to form the successful side that Mourinho later managed.

What did CR do wrong?

1) Too defensive.

Who's to say Walsh would have bought him in? Just because he tracked him dosent mean he would have signed him. 

5 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Agree. The downfall in not having replacements is partly down to Claudio. He should have been banging the door down asking for new, quality defenders.

This too. I know it's not entirely his fault and I bet he must be feeling very let down by the recruitment himself, but I'm not convinced he's really forced them to sort it out.

Honestly, that January window completely sums us up at the minute.

8 hours ago, Kaewbudda said:

What did CR do wrong?

1) Too defensive.

I've made this bloody point before! What was the purpose to signing so many kids at the same time? Amartey, Kaputska, Ndidi, Gray....Yes could all be good at some point but it was TOO MUCH TOO SOON. You sign one or two, together with one or two really good older heads and bring them in gradually.

The Prem is a tough, rough, results driven business where the games come thick and fast and there are no easy games. 

What Ranieri appears to have done is to try to sign a team that will be ok in three years time. Not now!?

And it's one of the points I've made about Amartey (and many have agreed).. he's been thrown in at the deep end too soon. He's not been given any time to develop. Same with Ndidi who must surely be wondering what the Hell he's come to here at Leicester.

Ranieri's squad management, in terms of recruitment and selection has been so so poor at THIS moment in time.

39 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I've made this bloody point before! What was the purpose to signing so many kids at the same time? Amartey, Kaputska, Ndidi, Gray....Yes could all be good at some point but it was TOO MUCH TOO SOON. You sign one or two, together with one or two really good older heads and bring them in gradually.

The Prem is a tough, rough, results driven business where the games come thick and fast and there are no easy games. 

What Ranieri appears to have done is to try to sign a team that will be ok in three years time. Not now!?

And it's one of the points I've made about Amartey (and many have agreed).. he's been thrown in at the deep end too soon. He's not been given any time to develop. Same with Ndidi who must surely be wondering what the Hell he's come to here at Leicester.

Ranieri's squad management, in terms of recruitment and selection has been so so poor at THIS moment in time.

Maybe HE got complacent by success too and felt his job was too safe after last year, so started planning for the next few years.

Took his eye off the ball unfortunately

11 hours ago, Koke said:

Hernandez 

Kante

Benalouane 

Gray

Mendy

Amartey

Slimani 

Musa

Zieler

Ndidi 

Inler

Kapustka 

He had to be persuaded to sign Kante

11 hours ago, Koke said:

Hernandez 

Kante

Benalouane 

Gray

Mendy

Amartey

Slimani 

Musa

Zieler

Ndidi 

Inler

Kapustka 

Ranieri has also been quoted as believing N'golo to be too small and weak to play his role effectively. Kante is definitely a Walsh signing. It's been said a few times that Kante was only allowed to join to keep Walsh quiet, Claudio got Inler and said we will see which is best. I know who's judgement i trust best. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Rather than trying several times to replace Kante with similar unknowns a player with a couple of years left would've made sense, not many Cambiassos out there so British based most likely.

Then bleed in other players.

worked many times previously

11 hours ago, Worthington said:

Just a point though......There's some Walsh involvement there !

Both Slimani and Musa were mentioned as targets BEFORE NP 'left the building' plus, I understand, Mendy too had been identified as 'target number one' to shore things up early in 2015 with Kante as the 'back-up' option. Despite the history of Mendy playing under Ranieri, he wasn't signed on Claudio's recommendation.

Similarly, I believe, Zieler and Hernandez were put to CR as potential signings, not suggested by him.

Inler & Benny were the two  signings Claudio did influence and, whilst neither succeeded, I'd suggest that's a rather shorter list of 'dross' than we started with!

Gray, Ndidi, Kapustka, Amartey..???

All young, developing talents who may/may not turn out to be great for us...Surely naïve to write them off as failures though?

Everything that's gone wrong is Claudio's fault......

No one else....

Should be a breeze tonight then......

Archived