Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

What do you think Claudio did wrong?

When we played Man Utd in the community shield, i could see that the performance wasn't the same, the closing down, the counter attacking, the passing, how easily they went past us, the fitness etc etc. Both full backs booked because they kept getting skinned. Just thought, well, it's a friendly at the end of the day and they'll be alright...

Last season my worry was if Mahrez or Vardy didn't score, who would? But someone always seemed to step up to the plate. This season that worry has come to fruition massively!!

Silly bookings? Under Pearson it didn't happen, as if he wouldn't stand it, maybe he made them toe the line more? Better disciplined?

Definitely not going after Idrissa Gueye, who I think would have been an excellent replacement for Kante. Slimani, Musa, Mendy and Henandez, in my opinion were not an improvement on anything we already had, and IMHO have been a massive disappointment. And also, not getting Keane, who we now have no chance of getting.

Maybe the transfer situation wasn't all Claudio's doing, but he was experienced enough to speak out, and was in a strong enough position after just landing the title for us. 

Ranieri was tactically stubborn.

Last year, Leicester adopted very inefficient tactics which relied on route-one football. With the loss of Kante, Leicester was unable to counter-attack as effectively because they had no one who could recover the ball (interceptions, tackles, clearances) and bring the ball up. So in essence, you had Mahrez dropping deeper than he did last year to try to win the ball and start counters on his own. Vardy was being pocketed by CBs who prepared for those over the top balls. The one savior really was Slimani (Leicester earns double the points when he's in the squad) because he could knockdown balls and flick them on to Vardy. Even then, Slimani became neutralized at times by aggressive defensive midfielders (Romeu, Cappoue) who kept him from picking up the ball from deep. Gray was a bit of an X factor because the opposing teams never really focused on taking him out of the game as much as they did with the other attackers. They gave Gray loads of space to run onto and impart his influence in the match. Gray has looked great but as a young player, he sometimes gets caught making the wrong decisions.  The most dangerous part about Gray are his long shots but I think most EPL-level keepers are okay with limiting Gray to those opportunities. 

Ranieri failed to adapt. The counter-attacking tactics of last season weren't suiting the players at all. Kante was one of the three gears (along with Vardy and Mahrez) that made the attack work like clockwork but with his absence, it fell apart. That is not to say Kante was the sole reason. Had Mahrez or Vardy gone, there would've been issues finding last season's form as well. 

The midfielders that were tasked with replacing Kante were Andy King, Daniel Amartey, Napalys Mendy, and Wilfried Ndidi.

Andy King is a tireless worker but he was more of an attack-minded midfielder. Daniel Amartey is an okay passer, decent at zonal marking and good at closing down but he's not a ball winner. We have yet to see much of Mendy due to injury but he's more of a holding midfielder that's a great distributor. Wilfried Ndidi is an immense talent at age 20, and has all the ability to become a Michael Essien type midfielde, but he's still not tactically astute enough to be plugged into the starting XI and replicate Kante's positioning and awareness. 

Ranieri didn't chose tactics that suited his players. He forced players to adopt tactics that didn't bring out their strengths and highlighted their weaknesses. He stood with the 4-4-2 formation even though it didn't work. He tried different combinations of players using that formation and it always failed - including against 10 man Milwall. 

The most telling part are just the statistics Leicester has posted. They have an England international in Danny Drinkwater in the midfield and invested close to 40 million pounds on their midfield (Amartey, Ndidi, Mendy). Despite that, they have posted a paltry pass completion under 70%. Their possession stats aren't much better. They are not playing to the ability of the players. A team pass completion under 70% is what's expected from Championship level players. These aren't Championship level players anymore especially considering the investment. This team is capable of playing with the ball. The amount of balls they lose needlessly due to the negative tactics Ranieri employed put the defense under more pressure to suppress the constant attacks. It's too much to expect from a CB pairing that's over 30 years old. Which brings us to another problem, Ranieri has tinkered with attackers but has kept the under-performers in the backline unscathed. There's just so much wrong with this team and it was in free fall. It needed a new philosophy. 

1 hour ago, totbl said:

Your last point is a big worry for me, it seems like our scouting system has changed, he apparently ignored the sports science team, so no doubt that hasnt been developed further, the mentality of  doing our business in our way, the new signings must be the right fit/personality seems to have gone out the window. Under NP, our infrastructure development was really impressive.

This is my biggest crticism and it isn't seen by rival fans. 

If you ignore the really good parts the players appreciated then they start to lose confidence in you. Add some tactical oddities along the way and it becomes open conversation 

1 minute ago, em9999 said:

As a outsider looking in I find it quite frankly a sackable offence that Mr ranieri went into the season as champions with virtually no CB options and yet saw fit to spend so much on forward players

We signed a CB who has already left us!? 

Poor signings in January

Starting the same back four every week

Playing Hernandez at Right-back

Leaving Gray and Kapustka out of the squad for too long

Not addressing our horrendous performances in post-match press conferences.

Not recognising that we desperately needed to sign a CB in January

Only starting to cross the ball when Slimani/Ulloa were off the pitch

General hoof ball (can be blamed on the players)

maybe Rudkin is also a problem..

the owners were splashing cash like crazy. i wonder if the sports psychologist got a xmas bonus

from the tele:

The role of Jon Rudkin, the director of football and close to the Srivaddhanaprabha family, is under the microscope and the question has to be asked whether he has fulfilled his remit properly.

Recruitment over the summer was abysmal, while the policy over new contracts bred resentment in the dressing room among the players who went unrewarded. The decision to present players with BMWs also went down badly with long-serving members of staff who felt their roles had been ignored.

3 hours ago, the fox said:

Hhmmm, let's see. Didn't ask for a ball playing CBs, didn't ask for overlapping RB, didn't ask for a box to box CM, didn't ask for a CAM, played hoofballs to a 5'10" striker.... and list is long

Of course he did, but we weren't prepared to pay those prices for the players he wanted. See Keane, Deeney and probably Nzonzi.

CR can be blamed for plenty of his decisions, but I don't think getting the transfers over the line is his department.

He never got us motivated. He set the bar too low all that talk of 40 points. We were reigning champions and should have demanded more. His team selection and tactics have also been shocking this season.

I think we will stay up now, but we were certain to go down under him this season. 

He wi be remembered as the man that led us to the greatest acheavment in football history not the man that took us down.

He may not have been responsible for all the bad decisions but as Manager he should have made sure we got the quality we needed. Again he shouldn't have been allowed to interfere with the Sports science.

At the end of the day he knows it's a results business and he failed to do that. therefore I don't think he has anything to grumble about.

Backroom staff and behind the scenes changes. Why on earth would you change a winning formula.

Poor recruitment which goes with the above as we lost walsh who was critical.

Tactically inept this season 

Very sad, I love ranieri but unfortunately it seems that he changed things for the sake of changing things? 

Who really knows though, nobody apart from those on the inside 

Too much faith in the players that achieved the miracle. (Huth and Morgan and the defence particularly) 

Bizarre tactical decisions. 

Playing players in weird positions.

I don't think picking all these awards up has helped, the players must think they really are Billy big bollocks. 

We don't really know what went on behind the scenes.

Ranieri is no mug he's managed for decade's at top clubs, maybe he got lucky last year, maybe we don't have the depth in our squad compared to where he's managed previously.

He might have been too loyal. His substitutions and team selection last year were spot on, this year questionable. I've no idea what changed, he wasn't a naive rookie manager, whatever he was trying to achieve wasn't working this year.

He was too nice...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39092218

Claudio Ranieri: BBC Radio Leicester's open letter after saying goodbye to ex-Foxes boss

Claudio Ranieri is the epitome of class.

We had the privilege of spending a few minutes in his company on Friday night, less than 24 hours after his departure from Leicester City was confirmed.

We wanted to thank him not only for the manner in which he dealt with us on BBC Radio Leicester, but also to offer our gratitude for making our dreams come true. He led our club to the unthinkable. We had our hearts stolen by the Italian, as many others did. We felt compelled to tell him how we felt.

The memories of last season will stay with us forever. You'll sometimes catch us in the office watching Andrea Bocelli serenading the King Power Stadium. It still brings a tear to the eye.

The last few months, though, have been far from perfect and Claudio must share some of the blame for the team's struggles. He has been the first to point out his own mistakes. Whatever the rights and wrongs of his sacking, he will always be known to us as a legend.

After work on Friday, we drove to his house with a letter in hand. Hoping to deliver to him personally, we had an approach of 'whatever will be will be'. If we had to simply post it through his letterbox then so be it. We knew he'd been visited by fans and others from the media all day.

Thankfully, Claudio answered the door himself. He was beaming from ear to ear, greeted us with warm handshakes and invited us in to his home for coffee. He was positive, yet regretful, about what happened, but continually spoke about the fans and his love and admiration for them and the club.

He was full of pride when discussing his memories of our city and he isn't far from knowing when is best to get his Christmas pork pie from the Walkers shop in town - quite the local!

Claudio turned his lampshade up and sat us down on his modest, but comfortable, sofa for a chat. His animated Italian style in full flow as he explained the level of thanks that supporters have offered by delivering cards and bottles of wine to his house.

He laughed as he recalled the first time he had "Claudio, give us a wave! Claudio, Claudio give us a wave!" sung at him and he didn't understand. It was Lincoln away if we remember rightly. Craig Shakespeare made it known to him and he promptly responded.

Neatly dressed (no slippers, just socks, no shoes in the house) he bid us farewell after the espresso had hit the spot. We thanked him for giving us the greatest year. "No thank you, thank you very much", replied the legend.

We got to say goodbye and whilst he hasn't had a chance to do it in public we can assure you he's thankful for every cheer and song he had.

Regardless of how his time at Leicester City ended, we will always remember him as a gentleman and a legend of our club.

We don't ever ask mangers - past or present - for a picture but Claudio indulged us on this occasion.

Grazie, Claudio!

Ian and Jason

I'd have given Stringer short shrift!

19 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Ranieri said several times in public, that he was not

responsible for the transfer policy of LCFC.

Nobody from the club has ever contradicted him in that matter.

Nevertheless he is blamed in this forum again and again for

everything, that went wrong with our transfers.

Why?

i don't know about that one..  surely he must hold some clout

(so he did not get even one of his signings?)

getting rid of some backroom staff.

As sad as am to see him go, I feel it's the right thing. He inherited Pearsons team and the tinker man did not tinker, he kept Walsh and Shakespeare and left the team alone, he even said as much on more than one occasion. And he then achieved the remarkable by winning the title, his charm and personality led us there. But then season two, Walsh leaves(and Kante,of course) Claudio spends nearly 100 million to improve the squad( apart from Nddi, no new signings have had a positive impact) and then he tinkers!!!! 442 gone, we play every formation under the sun, use lots of players and various tactics( none work). Only the Man City game at home can I remember where we played well. Yes the players are accountable they have been awful but at one point in the Chelsea game our three centre backs were Morgan,nddi,Fuchs and albrighton at rb and drinkwater at lb. I can see why they lost there way. At half time against Southampton (2 nil down) graham souness said'if it ain't broke don't fix it, go back to what you know and stop experimenting with formations, if he Carrys on he will get the boot' nobody battered an eyelid, yet 6 weeks later he's gone. As much as I love the guy, no goals and no wins this year, it don't matter what you have done before you are going to get the sack!!!!

Archived