Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

What do you think Claudio did wrong?

It all went wrong IMO as soon as last season ended.

SAF always said that when you win the league you need to improve and be better again the next season. We should have used the fact we were champions of England and added 3/4 quality players into our team as well as attracting some of the best young players around for the future. We had a shocking summer and started the new season worse off than we finished the last.

As for pre-season, whilst we had to fulfill certain responsibilities as champions, it is obvious there was too much flying around the world and not enough hard graft on the training pitch.

We had another disastrous transfer window in January when it was obvious our squad needed some serious improvement. All we kept hearing from CR was that he was happy with the squad.

I will be forever grateful for the job CR did last season but unfortunately his naivety is what has ultimately cost us now.

Basically he allowed the things that made us champions to slide.

High pressing, high energy, everything on the line football under pinned by incredible work rate and team spirit.

It was simple football but it played to everyone's strengths and everyone knew their role. If we carried on with that philosophy this season we probably wouldn't have won the league again, we may not even have troubled the European places. But we wouldn't be in the relegation zone playing insipid listless football.

As time goes on, I think Claudio's issue was that he neither stuck with the recipe what worked so well (backroom staff etc) and he didn't change enough to really alter things. 

Instead he bodged in the middle. This meant he had annoyed staff surrounding him as well players with no confidence.

Whoever does come in is better buying completely in the old regime or casting them completely aside to create their own regime. Claudio had a situation where we had replication in roles; his own men as assistant and fitness as well Pearson's old guard. It worked when he didn't tinker but when he did he didn't go further enough.

He needed to motivate the players in the summer. Doing this by bringing in players that improved on the first 11 and not just bringing in players to boost the squad. 

Clearly our first 11 got complacent. They had made it. Names written in Leicester history, why would they need to battle for every ball now. They probably felt that they could coast the rest of their careers thinking they were too good to be relegated and by finishing mid table would be acceptable as we are 'little Leicester'

No need to give 100% cause they knew the players on the bench weren't better. No threat of losing their starting place.

Should have had a clean slate. Ranieri bringing in 3/4 absolute quality players and saying to the title winning team, 'I will start you next season, BUT, as soon as your performance levels drop you are out the starting line up and this new guy is coming in.' That would have ensured the first 11 would have kept giving 100%.

Silva would have been a quality addition. We should have broke the bank for him. Who else were available though i'm not sure. Clearly the players we brought in weren't a clear improvement on the first 11. 

Once complacency sets in we were on a downward spiral. We only lost 3 games all last year. The media were gonna jump all over that once we hit the 4th defeat of this year. That happened sooner than we had hoped. Once the media jumps on your back the other teams only want to compound our misery. From there it has just spiraled out of control.

So ultimately Ranieri's biggest mistake was showing too much loyalty to the title winning side. Something that at the time i'm sure a lot of us fans thought it was probably the right thing to do.

As they say, Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Saying all that though i have nothing but 100% admiration and love for Ranieri. A true gent.

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

As time goes on, I think Claudio's issue was that he neither stuck with the recipe what worked so well (backroom staff etc) and he didn't change enough to really alter things. 

Instead he bodged in the middle. This meant he had annoyed staff surrounding him as well players with no confidence.

Whoever does come in is better buying completely in the old regime or casting them completely aside to create their own regime. Claudio had a situation where we had replication in roles; his own men as assistant and fitness as well Pearson's old guard. It worked when he didn't tinker but when he did he didn't go further enough.

Without replacing Kante effectively in particular, it was always going to be some form of struggle - the recruitment side hadn't helped him much either (I expected more from Musa and also Hernandez, but Slimani is decent and Amartey is slowly improving).

What I didn't understand with Ranieri was that he was too stubborn to change things at an instant (or too afraid of doing change for the benefit of the team, for all we know Ranieri may have Aspergers).

For example, Ranieri only changed tactics to more attacking after Man Utd went 4-0 up at theirs, and at Swansea the team only changed to the spirit of last season at 2-0 down, hence changes were too late to make up for trying to overcome why Ranieri didn't adopt a different approach much earlier.

All these people whinging and bitching about Ranieri getting sacked on facebook, twitter, media, etc.

Even Ranieri doesn't seem THAT bothered. He left a nice statement, donated half of his severance to our Foxes Foundation and has just quietly cracked on with it. 

It's about time everyone else STFU and got on with it too. 

Organising marches and wishing that their own club 'go down because they deserve it'? **** right off you pathetic melts. 

I'm sure even Ranieri wants us to beat Liverpool and stay up FFS.

• 2 weeks later...

It's also a bit of a tell that wasn't up for a relegation scrap, he's allegedly turned down a job offer at Bundesliga Wolfsburg who are hovering around the bottom end of the table. Or maybe he's thinking "why do I need to carry on working, I haven't enough lifetime left to spend all the money  I got from Leicester, Chelsea, etc....."

On 27 February 2017 at 16:29, daz*dsb said:

All these people whinging and bitching about Ranieri getting sacked on facebook, twitter, media, etc.

Even Ranieri doesn't seem THAT bothered. He left a nice statement, donated half of his severance to our Foxes Foundation and has just quietly cracked on with it. 

It's about time everyone else STFU and got on with it too. 

Organising marches and wishing that their own club 'go down because they deserve it'? **** right off you pathetic melts. 

I'm sure even Ranieri wants us to beat Liverpool and stay up FFS.

He didn't donate anything, some idiot made it up to make the club look more cruel than it already did

2 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

It's also a bit of a tell that wasn't up for a relegation scrap, he's allegedly turned down a job offer at Bundesliga Wolfsburg who are hovering around the bottom end of the table. Or maybe he's thinking "why do I need to carry on working, I haven't enough lifetime left to spend all the money  I got from Leicester, Chelsea, etc....."

apparently wants to manage in the PL again. probably waiting till the summer to see which clubs stay up and want him

Just now, brucey said:

apparently wants to manage in the PL again. probably waiting till the summer to see which clubs stay up and want him

There may be an opening at Arsenal soon....ohhh how I'd love to see the look on Keon's face if Claudio got that job lol

What Claudio did wrong was when he became the tinkerman again.

Last season, he saw the solid squad that Pearson had built (and, as importantly, the back room staff) and left it well alone. He stuck with the 4-4-2, was lucky that we got very few injuries and played pretty much the same side and the same style every week. And of course, we were bouyed by Kante.

Im afraid that, to my mind, it is only stopped working when Ranieri tried to impose himself onto proceedings. Losing Walsh was a major blow, but didn't Claudio get rid of the psychologist that Pearson brought in? He tried to mess about with the midfield, first with Amartey, then Mendy, initially in a 442 and then with three in the centre, and it just didn't work. Musa has turned out to be a disappointing signing and Slim has been a sick note.

Its no coincidence that we've gone back to what we know in terms of the playing personnel and how we set up. Ndidi has been a great signing though, I'll give Ranieri (or whomever) that.

Too much tinkering both on the pitch and off it, led to Ranieri's downfall imo. He's made what appear to be some very average signings when we could have gotten much much better.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What Claudio did wrong was when he became the tinkerman again.

Last season, he saw the solid squad that Pearson had built (and, as importantly, the back room staff) and left it well alone. He stuck with the 4-4-2, was lucky that we got very few injuries and played pretty much the same side and the same style every week. And of course, we were bouyed by Kante.

Im afraid that, to my mind, it is only stopped working when Ranieri tried to impose himself onto proceedings. Losing Walsh was a major blow, but didn't Claudio get rid of the psychologist that Pearson brought in? He tried to mess about with the midfield, first with Amartey, then Mendy, initially in a 442 and then with three in the centre, and it just didn't work. Musa has turned out to be a disappointing signing and Slim has been a sick note.

Its no coincidence that we've gone back to what we know in terms of the playing personnel and how we set up. Ndidi has been a great signing though, I'll give Ranieri (or whomever) that.

Too much tinkering both on the pitch and off it, led to Ranieri's downfall imo. He's made what appear to be some very average signings when we could have gotten much much better.

Come on Col ...   he did nothing wrong ! ...   and we are all a bunch of cvnts ...   just ask Eric. 

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Hmmmmmm..

Tbh I think the Don was another victim of our amazing success ....   although he more than anyone else was in a position to sort the problems out.    And he didn't. 

Err.. Based on these two games, he tried to change things, for fairly good reasons mostly, but the players didn't respond well, which damaged their team spirit. I suspect team management was a major issue, and it's hard to tell who was more to blame, since it's rarely a one sided thing, but then he is the manager.

He mentioned the plan B.

The plan B was a different kind of football. But our players couldn't adapt or perform the way he expected. Yet he persisted doggedly.

He thought we would be found out. Our tactics last season would be a risk this year, but he failed to understand the player's ability and strengths. We ended up playing to our weaknesses.

If I could simplify it down the bear bone, it was never going to carry on from the great escape mentality so just needed a 40 point comfortable mark. I think he wanted more possession to do this and it didn't work.

Hey ho..attack, attack, attack!

We will never really know:

• Trusted people who he couldn't trust
  • Tried to do things that was beyond the capability of certain individuals
  • Took the blame for everything that went wrong
  • Stood in the firing line while the bullets were firing at the team
  • Failed to address the silent assassins within the club
  • Probably not realising the his right hand man was holding a dagger behind his back

• ides_of_march1.jpg.28c8aedacaeb6c1fb5a847d86896019c.jpg

The conspirators never met exactly openly, but they assembled a few at a time in each other's homes. There were many discussions and proposals, as might be expected, while they investigated how and where to execute their design. Some suggested that they should make the attempt along the Filbert Way, which was one of his favorite walks. Another idea was to do it at the Team Selections, during which he had to cross a bridge to meet the coaches in the Belvoir Training Academy. Someone proposed that they draw lots for some to push him from the bridge and others to run up and kill him. A third plan was to wait for a coming CL Game. The advantage of that was, because of the show, no suspicion would be aroused if arms were seen. The majority opinion, however, favored killing him while he sat in the Dugout in Savilla He would be there by himself, since only players were admitted, and the other conspirators could hide their daggers in their kit bags. This plan won the day.

Obviously this couldn't be true............ It's just a story  :thumbup:

A lot of ideas here and probably all valid to a greater or lesser extent.

For me his mistake was surprisingly simple. He tried to introduce tactics to a group of players not capable of being able to put them into practice. Hence, as soon as we have reverted to the simple plan of last season, where we chase everything until we drop, the players suddenly know what to do, and what is expected of them, and form picks up. The endless chasing is what this group is not just good at, but is exceptional at and is not something you can then change overnight. If you want to change the ethos of a club you start at the bottom and have to be prepared to wait for your youngsters to come through the club so that your playing style and ethos changes with them. Sadly football being results driven doesn't often afford a manager the time to do that and so they try and rush it, with the inevitable failure as a result.

Answer if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

What baffles me is why did he change everything that was evidently so successful last season? Why 'tinker' constantly and overwhelm the players with instructions and keep changing the lineups?

Drinky and Vardy have already said that Shakes has kept things simple, and the players have thrived on it. Look at how quickly it has turned around since Shakes took over...days. Days!

Why couldn't Claudio see what wasn't working and why did he just continue and not change it? As I've said, it turned around within 4 days of sacking him.

Just shows why he had to go. Couldn't see what was going wrong or if he did, was too stubborn to change it.

Archived