Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

14 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Hi all, I would welcome any advice on a acoustic guitar, classical or folk, for a beginner and a good place to buy one.

No idea if this is a reasonable budget for a start, but wouldn't wish to spend more than £100 at this stage.

Cheers

I'd endorse Yamaha at the budget end too.

If you only want to spend £100 because that's all you've got, that's fair enough, but I think it's the case that up to a point, the more you spend on a guitar, the additional quality you get actually makes the instrument easier to play.

It's always a dilemma because when setting out you don't know how it's going to go; after all, so many instruments end up in the loft or garage when a beginner doesn't make the progress they were hoping for - buying a decent instrument reduces the chances of this happening, at least in part because if you're like me and you've paid more, you're more determined to get a return on your investment and not write it off.

I'm assuming this is for you? Are you in Leicester, because if you are, our one surviving guitar shop is Intasound on Narborough Road. I've only bought bits from there myself, but looking at their website, their range of acoustic guitars and the brands they stock suggests they know what they're talking about. The other advantage of buying from a shop is that they've hopefully actually played all the instruments themselves so a recommendation from them should hold some water, and they may even offer to set the guitar up properly for you, either for free or a modest charge, which can make a big difference to how nicely it will play

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'd endorse Yamaha at the budget end too.

If you only want to spend £100 because that's all you've got, that's fair enough, but I think it's the case that up to a point, the more you spend on a guitar, the additional quality you get actually makes the instrument easier to play.

It's always a dilemma because when setting out you don't know how it's going to go; after all, so many instruments end up in the loft or garage when a beginner doesn't make the progress they were hoping for - buying a decent instrument reduces the chances of this happening, at least in part because if you're like me and you've paid more, you're more determined to get a return on your investment and not write it off.

I'm assuming this is for you? Are you in Leicester, because if you are, our one surviving guitar shop is Intasound on Narborough Road. I've only bought bits from there myself, but looking at their website, their range of acoustic guitars and the brands they stock suggests they know what they're talking about. The other advantage of buying from a shop is that they've hopefully actually played all the instruments themselves so a recommendation from them should hold some water, and they may even offer to set the guitar up properly for you, either for free or a modest charge, which can make a big difference to how nicely it will play

Appreciate the comprehensive reply - thanks.

Yes, it is for me and I am in Leicester so will visit the shop you recommend.

The £100 figure is exactly for the reasons you suspect. I know people who were determined to learn but their instrument was quickly 'retired'. In fact I tried one of them recently but the neck was warping up slightly and the strings were 5 mm or more above the frets and there was no adjustment possible.

You make a valid point however re quality and ease of playing, I guess I need to find a good compromise and ask those in the store because I could manage a greater budget.

Thanks Again. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

The £100 figure is exactly for the reasons you suspect. I know people who were determined to learn but their instrument was quickly 'retired'. In fact I tried one of them recently but the neck was warping up slightly and the strings were 5 mm or more above the frets and there was no adjustment possible.

You make a valid point however re quality and ease of playing, I guess I need to find a good compromise and ask those in the store because I could manage a greater budget.

No problem! It's such a rewarding hobby, especially if like me you come from a family where nobody else plays an instrument, and you think that you might not be able to do it.

I really think anyone can, and that's why it's important to get those little barriers out the way that can be really offputting when you're struggling to get started

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

first song I learnt to play on guitar: easy chords

I'd recommend this range of books for beginners:

https://www.musicroom.com/the-big-acoustic-guitar-chord-songbook-platinum-ed-musam968726

They're generally pretty accurate. I think it's better than it used to be, but it's always amazed me how many music books are published that are really poor and encourage you to play songs in a mad way that the original artist wouldn't have done in a million years. It's really NOT helpful when you're trying to learn.

A lot of online tab is also awful, but fortunately there are a lot of good tutorials on YouTube now, some with tab. At least with those you can see if the person doing it can actually play the track

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I know everyone is different but I’ve found having face to face lessons to be the best way to learn.

I signed up for an online course and played myself for a year but have learnt loads in about 10 lessons. Really holds you accountable.

Out of interest, what are they actually teaching you?  Is it technique, theory or just learning songs? I had a handful of lessons years ago when I could already play and just wanted to be better, and although the guy showed me how to play some songs that I wouldn't have been able to work out myself, I didn't really learn anything.

After nearly 25 years of playing the guitar I know next to sod all about theory

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Out of interest, what are they actually teaching you?  Is it technique, theory or just learning songs? I had a handful of lessons years ago when I could already play and just wanted to be better, and although the guy showed me how to play some songs that I wouldn't have been able to work out myself, I didn't really learn anything.

After nearly 25 years of playing the guitar I know next to sod all about theory

It’s all theory which he then correctly my technique when I play. I rarely learn a song unless it’s a song which follows the pattern of the theory (so a certain technique or key) and that suits me as I spent my first year learning staring at a tab and blindly replicating it.

Its a weird set up in all fairness, I thought I would go in and say a load of bands I like but about 10 hours in he still has no idea what I listen to and he teaches me what he thinks I need to know which is great.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s all theory which he then correctly my technique when I play. I rarely learn a song unless it’s a song which follows the pattern of the theory (so a certain technique or key) and that suits me as I spent my first year learning staring at a tab and blindly replicating it.

Its a weird set up in all fairness, I thought I would go in and say a load of bands I like but about 10 hours in he still has no idea what I listen to and he teaches me what he thinks I need to know which is great.

That's what I've been doing for most of the last two decades.

He sounds good, that was what I was hoping for when I had lessons

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's what I've been doing for most of the last two decades.

He sounds good, that was what I was hoping for when I had lessons

It’s easy to do isn’t it and I’m not saying it’s wrong, I think a mix of the two would keep it light but would keep learning.

I honestly dread my lessons each week because it’s bloody hard. Half the time I have no idea what he is on about but it crops up weeks later and starts to make sense.

Edited by Costock_Fox

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s easy to do isn’t it and I’m not saying it’s wrong, I think a mix of the two would keep it light but would keep learning.

To be honest, when I started playing I had very low expectations and if you'd told me I'd be able to play even to the middling standard I do now I'd have been thrilled.

I can't help thinking though that with a bit of better guidance I'd have ended up being a lot better. Frankly, twenty years plus should be long enough to get good at anything!

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

To be honest, when I started playing I had very low expectations and if you'd told me I'd be able to play even to the middling standard I do now I'd have been thrilled.

I can't help thinking though that with a bit of better guidance I'd have ended up being a lot better. Frankly, twenty years plus should be long enough to get good at anything!

I’m sure you are great. I’ve got a mate who is in the same boat and he is someone I look up to.

When I say I’ve learned a lot, it’s very dumbed down strumming pattern etc. 

56 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’m sure you are great. I’ve got a mate who is in the same boat and he is someone I look up to.

When I say I’ve learned a lot, it’s very dumbed down strumming pattern etc. 

You're very generous!

The main thing I suppose is, wherever you're at with it, are you enjoying it?

When I'm playing Nowhere Fast by The Smiths and it actually sounds like it (to my ear anyway), it does make me feel pretty good

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You're very generous!

The main thing I suppose is, wherever you're at with it, are you enjoying it?

When I'm playing Nowhere Fast by The Smiths and it actually sounds like it (to my ear anyway), it does make me feel pretty good

I dread the lessons every week because it’s bloody hard and takes a while to sink in but I love the feeling you mention there.

• Like 1

Before I put anything on Facebook Market or eBay, I’m selling a pair of Yamaha HS5 speakers complete with cables and plugs, perfect condition work perfectly well. 

And a focusrite Safire pro sound card, again perfect condition complete with cables.

Speakers £199 and the focusrite £75. Complete with all of the relevant cables and connections.

Just don’t record enough to justify holding on to them anymore.  

Anyone interested let me know. 

Pictures if anyone is interested. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have too many now really. I might have to hire someone who can really play guitar well (and do a bit of insurance) just so they get played.

Considering a keytar next; just for fun and to display on the wall, really.

Between the Bob Dylan art, Leicester City art and Guitars, I'm going to have to build another home office just to display it all.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here into trading up guitars? @Flamey @Bellend Sebastian @Dr Marco @The People's Hero

Just seen a Mid-90s MIK Fender Lite Ash Telecaster for sale for £450 ONO. I'm pretty sure the MIK Fenders are pretty highly regarded, right? It looks like a Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pup in the bridge and a birdseye maple neck. 

The thing is filthy, clearly hasn't been used in years and has a missing a pup switch cap, so I could probably get him down to £400, but otherwise looks in decent nick. 

Anyone got any thoughts?