Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

The Foxestalk Food Association (FA) Cup Ro16 Pt2

Ro16 Pt2  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Match 5 : Full English Breakfast vs Ploughmans

• Full English Breakfast
    • Ploughmans
  2. 2. Match 6 : Welsh Rarebit vs Bangers and Mash

3. 3. Match 7 : Chicken Tikka Masala vs Haggis

4. 4. Match 8 : Shepherds Pie vs Steak Pie

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not even posh cheese on toast tbh it's just cheese on toast.

Scouse should love it, it's called Welsh because "Welsh" was considered synonymous with "povo" basically. Ie, it's a poor person's rarebit.

I'm surprised we let the Welsh have such luxuries as cheese, we were clearly too lenient with the scoundrels. 

15 hours ago, Webbo said:

Are we talking beans or tomatoes with the full English? Does it include black pudding and mushrooms?

surely a FULL English means the works. 

For me that means:

Sausage

Bacon

Eggs (Fried, not scrambled)

Beans

Tomatoes

Hash Browns

Fried Potatoes

Black Pudding

Mushrooms

Toast

Fried Bread

13 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

For me that means:

Sausage

Bacon

Beans

Tomatoes

Hash Browns

Fried Potatoes

Black Pudding

Mushrooms

Toast

Fried Bread

:revenge:

31 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not even posh cheese on toast tbh it's just cheese on toast.

Scouse should love it, it's called Welsh because "Welsh" was considered synonymous with "povo" basically. Ie, it's a poor person's rarebit.

According to this Wiki article, you are wrong on both counts.

There are also English, Irish and Scottish Rarebit (a corruption of rabbit) variants.

20 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

For me that means:

Sausage

Bacon

Beans

Tomatoes

Hash Browns

Fried Potatoes

Black Pudding

Mushrooms

Toast

Fried Bread

Potato has no place in a fried breakfast. Fried bread AND toast? 

1 minute ago, Buce said:

According to this Wiki article, you are wrong on both counts.

There are also English, Irish and Scottish Rarebit (a corruption of rabbit) variants.

There is no evidence that the Welsh actually originated Welsh rabbit, although they have always had a reputation for being passionately fond of it (a fourteenth-century text tells the tale that the Welsh people in heaven were being troublesome, and in order to get rid of them St Peter went outside the Pearly Gates and shouted ‘Caws pobi’ (Welsh for ‘toasted cheese’)—whereupon all the Welsh rushed out and the gates were shut on them).

A more likely derivation of the name is that Welsh in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries was used as a patronizingly humorous epithet for any inferior grade or variety of article, or for a substitute for the real thing (thus a Welsh pearl was one of poor quality, possibly counterfeit, and to use a Welsh comb was to comb one’s hair with one’s fingers). Welsh rabbit may therefore have started life as a dish resorted to when meat was not available. The first record of the word comes in John Byron’s Literary Remains (1725): ‘I did not eat of cold beef, but of Welsh rabbit and stewed cheese.’

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/07/origin-welsh-rabbit/

This round was much easier to vote for - the only tough one was Shepherd's Pie v Steak Pie because if it's proper Shepherd's Pie (lamb) it wins hands-down. Cottage Pie (beef, often erroneously called Shepherd's Pie) would lose out to a decent steak pie

As for the rest -

Full English

Bangers and mash

Chicken tikka masala

Hash browns are welcome at the full English breakfast, they mop up the yolk 

3 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

This round was much easier to vote for - the only tough one was Shepherd's Pie v Steak Pie because if it's proper Shepherd's Pie (lamb) it wins hands-down. Cottage Pie (beef, often erroneously called Shepherd's Pie) would lose out to a decent steak pie

As for the rest -

Full English

Bangers and mash

Chicken tikka masala

That's what the fried bread is for.

16 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

As for the rest -

Full English

Bangers and mash

Chicken tikka masala

You dip your sausage and bacon in the yolk.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

You dip your sausage and bacon in the yolk.

Sure but you're going to struggle to get all the yolk up that way as neither sausage or bacon are going to absorb anything really.

You want a good bit of toast to really wipe everything up.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The yolk coats the outside of the sausage, it doesn't have to be absorbed.

It does if you want to mop up absolutely all of it.

I never had you down as a fry up amateur, Webbo. I thought painters spent half their life in the cafe waiting for the proper tradesmen to do their bit.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It does if you want to mop up absolutely all of it.

I never had you down as a fry up amateur, Webbo. I thought painters spent half their life in the cafe waiting for the proper tradesmen to do their bit.

I'll take no lessons in eating from a person whose country's national dish is cheese on toast.

1 hour ago, Darkon84 said:

All this fry-up chat and no mention of eggy bread. Amateurs.

That's because it's French toast, not eggy bread.

Not sure why tifftoff is putting fried potatoes in his breakfast though - or why white pudding is being left out. It's sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom, beans, black pudding, white pudding, haggis, hash browns, French toast. Tomatoes can get tae ****.

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Not sure why tifftoff is putting fried potatoes in his breakfast though - or why white pudding is being left out. It's sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom, beans, black pudding, white pudding, haggis, hash browns, French toast. Tomatoes can get tae ****.

White pudding is part of an Irish breakfast, ffs. Goes with the sodabread.

Get it right for chrissakes.

46 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I always see them as two different things though. Eggy bread, perfect for a fry up, nice and savoury. French toast has sweet toppings like fruit, sugar etc doesn't it? Not that it really matters I guess.

As Finners says, white pudding is part of a good Irish or Ulster fry up.

Archived