Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

I do have some sympathy for little Timmy. As long as he doesn't discriminate against gays, whether he thinks they're going to heaven or hell is immaterial . He shouldn't have to renounce his faith to stand for election.

Just now, Webbo said:

I do have some sympathy for little Timmy. As long as he doesn't discriminate against gays, whether he thinks they're going to heaven or hell is immaterial . He shouldn't have to renounce his faith to stand for election.

Yeah I agree, has anyone asked Sadiq Kahn his stance? 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He already stood for election, and won, and stood for the leadership of the party, and won.  He hasn't had to renounce anything.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

He already stood for election, and won, and stood for the leadership of the party, and won.  He hasn't had to renounce anything.

His religious beliefs are his own. He doesn't (as far as I know) stand on a platform of being the christian candidate. I think it's illiberal to hound him on the subject.

33 minutes ago, Webbo said:

His religious beliefs are his own. He doesn't (as far as I know) stand on a platform of being the christian candidate. I think it's illiberal to hound him on the subject.

Politicians, particularly those who aspire to lead the country, are held to more exacting standards than others, and it could be argued that his stance on Gay marriage (and his refusal to answer whether he considers gay sex a sin) shows him to be possibly homophobic. Whether those beliefs stem from his religious faith or not, they are unacceptable in someone in a position of power.

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Politicians, particularly those who aspire to lead the country, are held to more exacting standards than others, and it could be argued that his stance on Gay marriage (and his refusal to answer whether he considers gay sex a sin) shows him to be possibly homophobic. Whether those beliefs stem from his religious faith or not, they are unacceptable in modern society.

Yeah everyone knows that it's fat people and gingers that get the abuse in modern society. Gays are fine now.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah everyone knows that it's fat people and gingers that get the abuse in modern society. Gays are fine now.

Actually, I edited that for the sake of clarity, but surely you don't think homophobia acceptable? I don't have a problem with people holding those views privately, but I do in a politician.

Aren't Gingers covered by disability legislation?

And how gay are you going to look in a pair of Chino shorts? lol 

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

Politicians, particularly those who aspire to lead the country, are held to more exacting standards than others, and it could be argued that his stance on Gay marriage (and his refusal to answer whether he considers gay sex a sin) shows him to be possibly homophobic. Whether those beliefs stem from his religious faith or not, they are unacceptable in someone in a position of power.

As I said, as long as he doesn't discriminate against gays then his beliefs are his own business. We can't have a system where only people with the correct opinions are allowed to stand.

Just now, Buce said:

Actually, I edited that for the sake of clarity, but surely you don't think homophobia acceptable? I don't have a problem with people holding those views privately, but I do in a politician.

Aren't Gingers covered by disability legislation?

No I don't think homophobia is acceptable but I understand it makes some people uncomfortable. I actually think the whole homophobia thing has come a long way and the subject is by and large these days accepted. I rarely hear nasty homophobia like you used too. 

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

As I said, as long as he doesn't discriminate against gays then his beliefs are his own business. We can't have a system where only people with the correct opinions are allowed to stand.

He is being asked his opinion on Gay rights no?  We have a right to know that opinion, regardless of why he holds it.  This is a policy position, not a personal opinion.  He should be able to say that he supports Gay rights, whilst also holding a personal belief that it is against the bible or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

He is being asked his opinion on Gay rights no?  We have a right to know that opinion, regardless of why he holds it.  This is a policy position, not a personal opinion.  He should be able to say that he supports Gay rights, whilst also holding a personal belief that it is against the bible or whatever.

He has been asked whether he thinks they go to heaven or hell lol, a step too far IMO.

Just now, Strokes said:

He has been asked whether he thinks they go to heaven or hell lol, a step too far IMO.

Yeah well there are always stupid questions from the press.

To be honest, much more importantly, can we trust the judgement of people who believe in sky fairies?

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

But why do you need to know? If you're asking whether he would vote against gay rights,abortion, divorce laws, whatever, they are legitimate questions. What he thinks is a sin is between him and his conscience. 

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yeah well there are always stupid questions from the press.

To be honest, much more importantly, can we trust the judgement of people who believe in sky fairies?

Well I wouldn't vote for him or any other person of strong religious beliefs but I think people should be able to make up their own minds. We all know that certain religions are exclusive and the details are well documented, that is where it should end IMO.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Given the circles the press operate in and the extracting nature of that question (it's not a question the press would come up with on their own), I suspect they have got wind of something Farron may have said but it's not possible to confirm it.

23 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He abstained from voting (I think) to legalise Gay Marriage. Isn't that discriminating? Would society accept a prospective PM that abstained, or voted against, race legislation (for example)? I suggest not.

26 minutes ago, Strokes said:

No I don't think homophobia is acceptable but I understand it makes some people uncomfortable. I actually think the whole homophobia thing has come a long way and the subject is by and large these days accepted. I rarely hear nasty homophobia like you used too

Maybe you should get out more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-39678737

Archived