Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Bob Madley's comical errors for Mahrez Penalty.

Like Shearer said on MOTD, it's a stupid rule and should be changed. It was clearly brought in for people deliberately taking 2 touches on a penalty and should not be used when a player slips like Mahrez did. I've never seen it happen before but it just about summed our day up on top of the offside goal. 

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

Like Shearer said on MOTD, it's a stupid rule and should be changed. It was clearly brought in for people deliberately taking 2 touches on a penalty and should not be used when a player slips like Mahrez did. I've never seen it happen before but it just about summed our day up on top of the offside goal. 

Disagree. It's a perfectly sensible rule. The chaos if you were allowed to actually take two touches, dink it to one side and then blast a moving ball top bins from closer.

There's no excuse for Mahrez. I like the guy, have defended his overall performances a lot recently, but he's a shit penalty taker.

A professional footballer really should be able to take a penalty without falling over. If he doesn't try and stutter his run up three times, he doesn't slip.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Disagree. It's a perfectly sensible rule. The chaos if you were allowed to actually take two touches, dink it to one side and then blast a moving ball top bins from closer.

There's no excuse for Mahrez. I like the guy, have defended his overall performances a lot recently, but he's a shit penalty taker.

A professional footballer really should be able to take a penalty without falling over. If he doesn't try and stutter his run up three times, he doesn't slip.

He Slipped it was an unfortunate time to slip but there is nothing he could of done about it. He hasnt missed his last 5 and he won the penatly. Thats like saying a professional footballer should be able to make a 10 yard pass 100% of the time, or a golfer should be able to make a 5 yard putt without missing?! You tend to post pretty decent stuff on here but thats utter rubbish.

5 hours ago, toddybad said:

Bloody hell what a crap thread. Nobody ever calls encroachment and mahrez touched it twice. The decision was right. Just let it go. 

And when was the last time you saw the double touch penalised?

I was pretty unhappy with the half time penalty competition on that spot! They even said don't put the ball on the spot the grounds man will kill us.... Then placed the ball on the spot. At the end of the day, I have seen this happen a few times, and regardless of the rules, I have never seen it disallowed when it has gone in. EVER.

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you fully read my comment, you would see I said "the rule was brought in for people deliberately taking 2 touches on a penalty". I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm saying it should retaken  if a player accidentally kicks the ball twice like Mahrez did when he slipped. Regardless of rules etc, I don't understand why he took the pen.  We had slim  and Vardy on the pitch so he should have been 3rd choice on that pen. If they have a list of penalty takers I can't understand why Mahrez would be top of the list. And if he isn't top  of the list, why did he take the pen? 

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So Griezmann isn't a pro footballer? Or Terry? Or Zidane (against China. Only penalty he ever missed)?

How someone could hold a grudge about a player slipping is beyond me.

By this forum's standards Gerrard should have been crucified, his body burnt and his ashes scattered through whole England.

13 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

He Slipped it was an unfortunate time to slip but there is nothing he could of done about it. He hasnt missed his last 5 and he won the penatly. Thats like saying a professional footballer should be able to make a 10 yard pass 100% of the time, or a golfer should be able to make a 5 yard putt without missing?! You tend to post pretty decent stuff on here but thats utter rubbish.

Yeah and if that pass goes astray or the golfer misses his shot, it's a garbage pass or a terrible shot and in both instances they're going to feel like mugs.

I'm not suggesting nobody should ever make a mistake but when you do make a mistake you own it, you put your hand up and you don't make excuses.

I stand by my point, if Mahrez doesn't step up already off balance because he's trying to put the keeper off, he doesn't fall over.

The surface was fine, the conditions were fine, he just ballsed up.

You'll never manage to convince me that these stupid stuttered run ups are a good idea. Messi, Neymar, Mahrez, we've all seem them take some woeful penalties because the keeper wasn't fooled. Just leather it for Christ sakes.

One of the best penalty taking records I've ever seen was a grey haired Burnley full back. You don't over complicate it, you just step up and wham it.

4 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

So Griezmann isn't a pro footballer? Or Terry? Or Zidane (against China. Only penalty he ever missed)?

How someone could hold a grudge about a player slipping is beyond me.

Who's holding a grudge? 

I'm just saying there aren't any excuses (in response to someone suggesting the rules should be changed, in defence of Mahrez) - the fault is just on our player, he fvcked up.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Who's holding a grudge? 

I'm just saying there aren't any excuses (in response to someone suggesting the rules should be changed, in defence of Mahrez) - the fault is just on our player, he fvcked up.

For me there is no discussion about the pen. Slipped, hit the ball twice, Madley saw it. Shit happens. End of the story.

I'm reacting to the overstatement "a pro footballer shouldn't fall over". It makes no sense whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You'll never manage to convince me that these stupid stuttered run ups are a good idea. Messi, Neymar, Mahrez, we've all seem them take some woeful penalties because the keeper wasn't fooled. Just leather it for Christ sakes.

Agree - and this is as bad as it gets...

Saying that, slipping over is not simply a matter of bad technique and poise. Did you see Harry Arter at St Mary's the other month? - suspiciously identical to the Harry Kane incident a year before. It's as though a section of turf had been cut out inches from penalty spot ready to be displaced on the run up. I'm guessing that the Southampton players all knew how to avoid it too. Reminded me of Beckham slipping at Fenerbahçe.

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah and if that pass goes astray or the golfer misses his shot, it's a garbage pass or a terrible shot and in both instances they're going to feel like mugs.

I'm not suggesting nobody should ever make a mistake but when you do make a mistake you own it, you put your hand up and you don't make excuses.

I stand by my point, if Mahrez doesn't step up already off balance because he's trying to put the keeper off, he doesn't fall over.

The surface was fine, the conditions were fine, he just ballsed up.

One of the best penalty taking records I've ever seen was a grey haired Burnley full back. You don't over complicate it, you just step up and wham it.

A bit like Vardy did against Everton last game of the season?!

3 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

For me there is no discussion about the pen. Slipped, hit the ball twice, Madley saw it. Shit happens. End of the story.

I'm reacting to the overstatement "a pro footballer shouldn't fall over". It makes no sense whatsoever.

So a professional footballer SHOULD fall over taking a penalty? ... What?

Of course he shouldn't fall over, which is why they very rarely ever do. But it's not "one of those things", you don't just mysteriously, randomly fall over because you're pushed by an ancient, mischievous grass spirit.

You fall over because you're off balance and not focused. It's a mistake, an error.

Benalouane made a mistake in lunging at Sane for the penalty. We're not saying "oh it's one of those things" are we? Equally, nobody is saying "he shouldn't ever play again, he's terrible, bin."

But he fvcked up. Own it, move on.

Not sure what you're not understanding there.

6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Agree - and this is as bad as it gets...

Saying that, slipping over is not simply a matter of bad technique and poise. Did you see Harry Arter at St Mary's the other month? - suspiciously identical to the Harry Kane incident a year before. It's as though a section of turf had been cut out inches from penalty spot ready to be displaced on the run up. I'm guessing that the Southampton players all knew how to avoid it too. Reminded me of Beckham slipping at Fenerbahçe.

If the pitch had cut up under Mahrez he would completely have my sympathy. I don't believe it did, however, and conditions were great.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

So a professional footballer SHOULD fall over taking a penalty? ... What?

Of course he shouldn't fall over, which is why they very rarely ever do. But it's not "one of those things", you don't just mysteriously, randomly fall over because you're pushed by an ancient, mischievous grass spirit.

You fall over because you're off balance and not focused. It's a mistake, an error.

Benalouane made a mistake in lunging at Sane for the penalty. We're not saying "oh it's one of those things" are we? Equally, nobody is saying "he shouldn't ever play again, he's terrible, bin."

But he fvcked up. Own it, move on.

Not sure what you're not understanding there.

Let's just agree to disagree.

20 hours ago, Jakewilk said:

But had it not gone in then it would have been a retake. 

It's simple. If the attacking team commit an offence and it goes in then it's a free kick to the defending team, if it misses then it's a retake. Vice versa for defending teams.

No idea where you get this from. Sounds like a wind up.

17 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I'll post this again, as many have ignored this important point...

The way the rule is structured, encroachment is only considered after the result of a legitimately taken penalty... the penalty in this instance wasn't legimately taken, therefore this action negates any consideration in respect of encroachment. 

Can you quote the law that says this?

Edit: Actually don't bother, I think this has been done to death and back.

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If the pitch had cut up under Mahrez he would completely have my sympathy. I don't believe it did, however, and conditions were great.

I'm not suggesting it did - and I agree that the surface looked perfect.

The St.Mary's incidence seemed to me to be more than coincidence though.

@Finnegan you've had a shocker on this thread sorry. You seem to be determined to argue against points that nobody is making. First, when somebody said that the rule should be different if the player slips and kicks it against his own leg, you said you disagree because someone could just knock it to one side and score. You must know that's not the same as slipping and that the person you were replying to clearly wasn't saying that a player should be allowed to deliberately take two touches? Nobody is arguing that the goal should be able to stand, only that a retake should be ordered if the second touch is clearly accidental, as in this case. 

Then after that, in response to somebody defending the fact that professionals sometimes make mistakes including slipping, you said something like sorry but nobody is going to convince me that that these staggered runups are a good idea. Who is arguing that?! It might feel like you're knocking all these balls out of the park with your posts but you're not actually responding to what people are actually saying, you're inventing your own opposing arguments to disagree with. 

1 hour ago, MarshallForEngland said:

@Finnegan you've had a shocker on this thread sorry. You seem to be determined to argue against points that nobody is making. First, when somebody said that the rule should be different if the player slips and kicks it against his own leg, you said you disagree because someone could just knock it to one side and score. You must know that's not the same as slipping and that the person you were replying to clearly wasn't saying that a player should be allowed to deliberately take two touches? Nobody is arguing that the goal should be able to stand, only that a retake should be ordered if the second touch is clearly accidental, as in this case. 

Then after that, in response to somebody defending the fact that professionals sometimes make mistakes including slipping, you said something like sorry but nobody is going to convince me that that these staggered runups are a good idea. Who is arguing that?! It might feel like you're knocking all these balls out of the park with your posts but you're not actually responding to what people are actually saying, you're inventing your own opposing arguments to disagree with. 

No, no I'm not. It's possible I'm not explaining myself clearly but I've not invented anything. I'll simplify it though.

1. You can't allow a penalty taker to take two touches for reason such as my example. They're not going to amend the rule to say that if a player does so accidentally then it's allowed, that's clearly going to be far too contentious. And let's be honest, they're not going to and shouldn't change the rules because one player fell over.

2. The way Mahrez steps up to take a penalty contributes to his downfall. He makes a mistake, yes, but he's infinitely less likely to do so if he strides up to strike the ball on good footing instead of goose stepping up and then leaning back instead of getting over it to strike it cleanly.

Don't think any of that is particularly controversial or unfair.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

And when was the last time you saw the double touch penalised?

Thierry Henry and Robert Pires when the penalty taker touched it twice when trying to play in the other player.

It's the only double touch penalty I've ever seen before - and that too was penalised.

Just now, toddybad said:

Thierry Henry and Robert Pires when the penalty taker touched it twice when trying to play in the other player.

It's the only double touch penalty I've ever seen before - and that too was penalised.

It wasn't penalised, they just mucked it up.

16 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It wasn't penalised, they just mucked it up.

Just watched it again, you're right!

It was mucked up because he feathered the ball and was scared to touch it again BECAUSE he'd be penalised. 

We'll I'll claim it's half the same thing :-) 

Archived