Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DatfoxesKid23

Tom Lawrence is one of Newcastle's "Top transfer targets"

15 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Keep him. 

We're talking about an international player (I'm sure) who can cover CM,CAM,LW and Striker positions and can has bags of talent.

Something else to consider is this, what message does letting him move on send to our academy players/future academy players? He has done everything asked of him. Performed for our youth teams, went out on loan and been one of the best players in his league.... Not only has he earned it but if we want to keep being able to attract young up and coming players, we have to show them that they stand a chance of progressing here. 

Probably not much of a message considering he's not from our academy and we paid a fee for him

Just now, Bugg said:

Probably not much of a message considering he's not from our academy and we paid a fee for him

I know, drom UTD. I never said he eas from our acadamy. If we want to keep signing young players for the future, we need to show them there is a chance of getting in the first team. 

21 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

If we don't keep him and give him a chance we are absolute mugs.

Unless we receive a crazy offer then that pretty much sums it up. Why send players out on loan if we don't give them a chance if they do well on loan. His loan couldn't have gone any better.

Can't see him wanting another season out on loan and don't think we will want to loan again if he only has one year left on his contract. 

I'd say we have better options in the squad currently so is probably better taking the money rather than seeing him leave for free next season. 

Sell him with silly first option/buy back add ons and continue to watch his development. 

6 hours ago, EGBFitness said:

Can't see him wanting another season out on loan and don't think we will want to loan again if he only has one year left on his contract. 

I'd say we have better options in the squad currently so is probably better taking the money rather than seeing him leave for free next season. 

Sell him with silly first option/buy back add ons and continue to watch his development. 

I think this sort of thing can be better done at the January transfer window. If we let him play against some weaker defenses, score some goals, we get until January to evaluate him, and if we decide to pass, we showcase him and drive the narrative that he would do well in the league if only he could see the field, then we sell him when teams are desperate to stay up and will pay a premium for a guy with some favorable EPL experience. Even if he doesn't set it on fire when he does play, he is close enough removed from an outstanding season in the Championship that we likely get a similar price for him. 

Also of course, we need to think in terms of wage bills and reallocation of assets. If TL looks to grow into something comparable to what we have now, we sell the older more expensive player and spend that money bolstering the team in other areas. Would love to start competing with the better-run clubs for young talent -- Ajax, Lyon, Sporting CP, teams that tend to succeed because they spot and buy young talent, go after the young hard workers at poorly run clubs, see what proper development and regular play on loan can make of them. Start selling players and start investing. A team at our level can't really afford not to be sellers, but that means we need to spend money buying at a good clip.

7 hours ago, vanity said:

I think this sort of thing can be better done at the January transfer window. If we let him play against some weaker defenses, score some goals, we get until January to evaluate him, and if we decide to pass, we showcase him and drive the narrative that he would do well in the league if only he could see the field, then we sell him when teams are desperate to stay up and will pay a premium for a guy with some favorable EPL experience. Even if he doesn't set it on fire when he does play, he is close enough removed from an outstanding season in the Championship that we likely get a similar price for him. 

Also of course, we need to think in terms of wage bills and reallocation of assets. If TL looks to grow into something comparable to what we have now, we sell the older more expensive player and spend that money bolstering the team in other areas. Would love to start competing with the better-run clubs for young talent -- Ajax, Lyon, Sporting CP, teams that tend to succeed because they spot and buy young talent, go after the young hard workers at poorly run clubs, see what proper development and regular play on loan can make of them. Start selling players and start investing. A team at our level can't really afford not to be sellers, but that means we need to spend money buying at a good clip.

And what if he struggles against some of the weaker defences? Everyone on here will be slating how shit he is, why he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team and who's fault for not cashing in on him. 

If he has a couple of years left on his contract I would say give him ago with us, problem is by Jan clubs will be looking to sign him on a pre-contract rather than loan him. Other than getting him off our wage bill we won't really see much benefit loaning someone out who's in the last 6 months of his contract who we dubbed as one for the future. 

If we rate him, get him to sign a new contract and give him 6 months then loan otherwise we are better selling now with add ons. I'm sure if he is in his last years contract we won't get as much money for him, Pearson was noturious for targeting players in their last years contract to buy at a reduced fee

7 hours ago, EGBFitness said:

And what if he struggles against some of the weaker defences? Everyone on here will be slating how shit he is, why he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team and who's fault for not cashing in on him. 

If he has a couple of years left on his contract I would say give him ago with us, problem is by Jan clubs will be looking to sign him on a pre-contract rather than loan him. Other than getting him off our wage bill we won't really see much benefit loaning someone out who's in the last 6 months of his contract who we dubbed as one for the future. 

If we rate him, get him to sign a new contract and give him 6 months then loan otherwise we are better selling now with add ons. I'm sure if he is in his last years contract we won't get as much money for him, Pearson was noturious for targeting players in their last years contract to buy at a reduced fee

I think the staff will see in training whether he will make an impact on the field, but if he does nonetheless struggle early against weaker clubs and cup competitions, he will retain some value as a consequence of how good he was in the Championship. People will suspect he was used improperly, not given the time to find his form, young players are always good reclamation projects for some arrogant git manager, etc. etc. I understand your point re banking cash on the uncertainty now, I suppose I see it as more important that LC focus on identifying long-term assets to hold (in this case, hold = determine if he can play for us long-term and then extend his contract) rather than cash in on an uncertain asset before we've seen him play with the team. We are pretty cash flush at the moment, Mahrez and other may be leaving, young cheaper players with a potentially high floor/high ceiling are precisely the sort of players I think we should be trying to attract. Reasonable minds can differ though. 

On 2017-5-29 at 18:51, murphy said:

Why not sort out a longer contract and loan him to Newcastle?  See if he can do it in the prem.

Would like to see Lawrence get a chance here and not sure what you say above is likely too happen but it's not the worst idea. Various loans seem to have paid off for Victor Moses who has now gone on to establish himself at Chelsea.

On 28/05/2017 at 18:00, DatfoxesKid23 said:

You are a rich personlol

A few million quid is the reason this topic was posted because I'm pretty sure the owners would not agree with you

They were happy to 'waste' more than a few million quid on Kaputska and he is nowhere near PL standard so if they are happy to waste money on unproven foreign players, why not take a similar gamble on a young English player? 

Has it occured to anyone that TL might not actually want to stay with LCFC after the way he has been treated...?!? 

I have seen it previously suggested that he wasnt very happy with being constantly loaned out without any possibility of 1st team football at LCFC so he might just be happy to either see out his contract on loan 'elsewhere' or leave when an offer is tabled.

Just now, Foxy-Lady said:

Has it occured to anyone that TL might not actually want to stay with LCFC after the way he has been treated...?!? 

I have seen it previously suggested that he wasnt very happy with being constantly loaned out without any possibility of 1st team football at LCFC so he might just be happy to either see out his contract on loan 'elsewhere' or leave when an offer is tabled.

Someone on here said that we should get him to sign a new contract and loan him out again..

28 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Someone on here said that we should get him to sign a new contract and loan him out again..

That might be best solution for LCFC but not sure TL would see it that way if he is unhappy and wants to find a way out...?

If he wants to get away then his best options would be to either move now or run down remianing 1 year on his contract.  Same situation happened with Liam Moore last season when he wanted to get away

Archived