Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

The Express is one of the worst for smearing. If I had a choice I would also go to Glastonbury

He has shown his support for ex servicemen by speaking out at the way they are treated and other ways I am sure but I cannot see the Express reporting on them.

6 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

The Express is one of the worst for smearing. If I had a choice I would also go to Glastonbury

He has shown his support for ex servicemen by speaking out at the way they are treated and other ways I am sure but I cannot see the Express reporting on them.

Plus there were a load of pictures with him on twitter posing with some servicemen at some ceremony somewhere so not really relevant.

1 minute ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Plus there were a load of pictures with him on twitter posing with some servicemen at some ceremony somewhere so not really relevant.

Those pictures were from 2015.

Guest MattP
10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

How exactly are they "promoting" Corbyn?

To be fair they have deleted it now, but the fact they did it in the first place it's unbelievable. 

Time for the government to do something about them. Long overdue. 

Screenshot_2017-06-25-09-22-43.png

Edited by MattP

10 hours ago, toddybad said:

That is really one of the central differences between right wing voters and left wing voters isn't it, in the end?

I clearly am not a fan of privatisation but, even if I ignored that, I really cannot fathom how deregulation could ever be a good thing - particularly if you were going to leave decision making to private markets. Surely the theoretical idea of private companies providing services is that you give them a framework for what society needs (the regulation) and they come up with solutions. If you don't give them a structure for what you want then anarchy reigns where they do anything for a profit. The reality is we see that in practice.  

The issue is your assumption that regulators have a better knowledge of what society needs than that society.  Yes some regulation is helpful, i.e. ensuring universal supply of water for example, but the idea that you need to regulate everything is clearly nonsense.

• Like 2

Guest MattP
9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Quite confident that the Sunday Express didn't approve his decision-making yesterday..

_96629922_sundayexpress.jpg

The Sunday Express is a private business.

The BBC is funded by the public under the threat of imprisonment, you can't compare the two.

As I say, they have deleted the pro-Corbyn tweet but the fact they even did it is incredible. 

Guest MattP

Hopefully we'll see Michael Gove at Glastonbury today - playing his ukulele. 

If they can organise that all is forgiven. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

The Sunday Express is a private business.

The BBC is funded by the public under the threat of imprisonment, you can't compare the two.

As I say, they have deleted the pro-Corbyn tweet but the fact they even did it is incredible. 

Bit of a mountain out of a molehill Matt.

When the PLP were circling on Corbyn, the Daily Politics were basically doing a conga line around the studio.

Overall they are pretty balanced over the course of time but whilst they are public funded, they have to try and stay relevant and seizing on fads is a way of doing that.

If it were before the election i'd have more of an issue but its not like this would sway voters in 5 years time.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So Corbyn is invited to an event the BBC are covering (not by the BBC). Incidentally, I believe they didn't broadcast the speech on any of their Glastonbury broadcasts across the network. Someone spots Corbyn holding his mic like a musician at a music event and thinks it'd be funny to make out that he's just sung a song and stick it on twitter. You think that's promoting him? lollollollol ****ing hell, you poor little snowflake. How dare they post a picture of a man with no political context, appearing somewhere. lol 

Theres a reason why people make nice jokes about Corbyn and nasty ones about May. Because he's a nice bloke, who whatever you think of his politics doesn't make a twat of himself by saying things like the naughtiest thing he ever did was run through fields of ****ing wheat, or walks away from homeless people without even a word or a show of empathy. He shows up, puts out a positive message, gets the crowd going, he talks to people, he shows he cares.

One of two things are happening here. You fear him because he's gaining traction, so like you accuse others of doing with the likes of Farage or Robinson, you attempt to shut it down. Even the non-political stuff. Anything that shows him in a good light must be hidden for fear of people's opinion of him improving. Or you actually like him but daren't admit it, so you make outlandish claims against him and anything that shows him positively. Bit like a gay man in denial. Thou doth protest too much.

Actually there's a third one, you're being over sensitive .

First of all he can say whatever he wants, I would never ever shut down what he says. I've never tried to do that and you know it.

When the state broadcaster doesn't show impartially it should be a concern for all. You shouldn't just turn turn a blind eye because it's the party you support - they know the did wrong hence why they deleted it.

As for being a nice bloke, I'd imagine that depends on who you talk to, I doubt many Jewish folk would see him as a particularly nice person given his history.

I do wonder how well he would have gone down at Glastonbury had he said "I'll honour my manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and end freedom of movement"? - rather just just promising cash he hasn't got to the crowd.

Guest MattP

@toddybad as I know you like your post referendum polls.

Matthew Goodwin

One year on.... 

Remain 48 (-)
Leave 52% (-)

June 16-21, Panelbase

#BrexitAnniversary 
#glastonburyfestival2017

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

First of all he can say whatever he wants, I would never ever shut down what he says. I've never tried to do that and you know it.

When the state broadcaster doesn't show impartially it should be a concern for all. You shouldn't just turn turn a blind eye because it's the party you support - they know the did wrong hence why they deleted it.

As for being a nice bloke, I'd imagine that depends on who you talk to, I doubt many Jewish folk would see him as a particularly nice person given his history.

I do wonder how well he would have gone down at Glastonbury had he said "I'll honour my manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and end freedom of movement"? - rather just just promising cash he hasn't got to the crowd.

The point is, the post is non political. Yes he's a politician, but the post isn't supporting him, the post isn't promoting him. All it's doing is making a joke about his appearance at an event. I would be worried if a state broadcaster was promoting one side and not the other if that was the case here, but it's not. They deleted it because numerous overly delicate people like you complained about it, in the same way you criticise the left for haranguing people on social media until the delete anything they disagree with.

Guest MattP
Just now, Facecloth said:

The point is, the post is non political. Yes he's a politician, but the post isn't supporting him, the post isn't promoting him. All it's doing is making a joke about his appearance at an event. I would be worried if a state broadcaster was promoting one side and not the other if that was the case here, but it's not. They deleted it because numerous overly delicate people like you complained about it, in the same way you criticise the left for haranguing people on social media until the delete anything they disagree with.

They deleted it minutes after and barely anyone had complained. 

They deleted it because someone more senior clearly saw it and realised how inappropriate it was.

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

They deleted it minutes after and barely anyone had complained. 

They deleted it because someone more senior clearly saw it and realised how inappropriate it was.

Twitter is pretty quick, you can get lots of replies in minutes. I've searched that tweet, there are quite a few people complaining it is promotion, so I think it played a part. In reality it a picture of a man holding mic and someone joking he'd just sung a song. Anyone,including you, who thinks that's promotion are being way to over the top.

I'll add, and I know May is a busy woman, but when she starts appearing in a more human light, people will start showing her in a more human light. 

Edited by Facecloth

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Twitter is pretty quick, you can get lots of replies in minutes. I've searched that tweet, there are quite a few people complaining it is promotion, so I think it played a part. In reality it a picture of a man holding mic and someone joking he'd just sung a song. Anyone,including you, who thinks that's promotion are being way to over the top.

It's a pretty unusual situation, but you can't really blame him for enjoying the limelight. The BBC probably should be a bit more professional but their core audience is probably 95% retarded/Corbyn supporters :D 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

It's a pretty unusual situation, but you can't really blame him for enjoying the limelight. The BBC probably should be a bit more professional but their core audience is probably 95% retarded/Corbyn supporters :D 

But they didn't even broadcast his speech. They haven't promoted his message, they haven't forced it on people. They put a non politics related picture a man holding a mic. It's simply not promotion, it's a joke. I've seen the fact he's there mentioned a couple of times but like you say it's unusual. I was listening to 5Live yesterday and the entertainment correspondent was joking about him introducing Katy Perry, is that promotion too, or just joking about an unusual occurrence?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

But they didn't even broadcast his speech. They haven't promoted his message, they haven't forced it on people. They put a non politics related picture a man holding a mic. It's simply not promotion, it's a joke. I've seen the fact he's there mentioned a couple of times but like you say it's unusual. I was listening to 5Live yesterday and the entertainment correspondent was joking about him introducing Katy Perry, is that promotion too, or just joking about an unusual occurrence?

Like I say I really don't take that much issue with it but the BBC do have to be careful and remember their responsibilities. I would imagine it was unintentional by radio one and they have had their hands slapped and it's been removed. 

I doubt it's going to turn any heads, so I personally don't really see the issue with it. You would have to have been pretty sheltered to have not realised he was their anyway. 

Seems like he/it's getting lots of attention from the tweet being removed anyway.

I read the online BBC a lot and I'd like to think I'm neither retarded, well not yet or a Corbyn supporter, as for the picture I saw it and never gave it a second look.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Like I say I really don't take that much issue with it but the BBC do have to be careful and remember their responsibilities. I would imagine it was unintentional by radio one and they have had their hands slapped and it's been removed. 

I doubt it's going to turn any heads, so I personally don't really see the issue with it. You would have to have been pretty sheltered to have not realised he was their anyway. 

Oh of course they have to remember their responsibilities, but if we're living I world where a tweet like this is seen as promotion of a politician then we've got no hope.

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

Oh of course they have to remember their responsibilities, but if we're living I world where a tweet like this is seen as promotion of a politician then we've got no hope.

Twitter will bring down the world, I'm certain of it :D