Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

7 minutes ago, Donut said:

I like being part of a large trading block and the security it gives over jobs, i like having tariff free trade as part of the block, I like the additional negotiating power we have as part of the block rather than out of it, I like that the EU provides investment into various industries like i said on the previous page, I like that if i want to i can move freely to work, to travel, and unlike you I cant give a way that any of the policies and laws you hastily retreated on are damaging my life.

So there in a concise definition for you, is my justification for voting remain.

So whenever you say i dont feel like i can justify my vote, or i dont feel i have to, copy that, put it into size 20 font and refer to it in the same way i refer to you stumbling around with made up economics and laws you can barely name.

And i dont know what, if any policy the EU has on sustainable timber. Once again, it doesnt affect my life, and i was never arguing for us pulling out of whatever if any policy the EU has on timber and insisting for UK timber laws.

You clearly must think it does because you want whatever is in place to be gotten rid of, and yet even if a policy was in place, the terms could have been negotiated in european court and we could have vetoed the policy anyway. Your example was basically rubbish.

It hasn't given any security over jobs in the fishing industry, there are far less fishermen in this country than there was in the 70. There is massive unemployment in parts of Europe so it obviously isn't guaranteeing jobs there.

I have to say you remainers don't seem that tolerant after all.

15 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It hasn't given any security over jobs in the fishing industry, there are far less fishermen in this country than there was in the 70. There is massive unemployment in parts of Europe so it obviously isn't guaranteeing jobs there.

Firstly, "you remainers"......I dont claim to speak for every remainer, I justified MY OWN point of view.

Secondly, i dont think the common fisheries policy is a problem, ive already said that. Im happy to be part of a policy maintaining shared resources of fish. So too are Scotland apparently, who 62% of people voted to remain in the EU and of which Scottish fishing accounts for 65% of our total catches, so if its an issue with certain politicians, the numbers dont suggest it is amongst the Scottish public when Scotland catch nearly 2/3 of our fish

Thirdly, im not a fisherman so my job isnt under threat.

Edited by Donut
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Donut said:

Firstly, "you remainers"......I dont claim to speak for every remainer, I justified MY OWN point of view.

Secondly, i dont think the common fisheries policy is a problem, ive already said that. Im happy to be part of a policy maintaining shared resources of fish. So too are Scotland apparently, who 62% of people voted to remain in the EU and of which Scottish fishing accounts for 65% of our total catches, so if its an issue with certain politicians, the numbers dont suggest it is amongst the Scottish public who catch nearly 2/3 of our fish

Thirdly, im not a fisherman so my job isnt under threat.

My job isn't at risk either so I'm entirely justified in voting brexit according to you?

18 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He's destroyed you like, your argument is shit and your last word is petty.

Edited by Bryn

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

My job isn't at risk either so I'm entirely justified in voting brexit according to you?

Youd be entirely justified in voting brexit if your justifications made any sense, which they dont.

Even a rock dweller who voted brexit because he hates the Poles has a justification for his view, your justifications either dont make any sense, contradict themselves, might not even happen, or just have no substence whatsoever.

• Like 4

the whole fishing arguement is a joke tbh.

one day, eventually - fishermen will lose their jobs regardless. fish will be bred / genetically created and caught / prepared and delivered by robots. 

just because our fishing numbers are significantly less that the 70's doesn't mean when we hop out of the EU we're gonna fish like it's the 70's and ignore sustainability / technological advancements.

better off training those fishermen to do something else rather than trying to go back in time to save their redundant jobs. 

• Like 2

The fishing thing is just a variant of “let’s take back control” where the average brexiter sees something he perceives as ours and instinctively wants the uk to have complete control over it regardless of the consequences (to which precisely zero effort is applied to thinking about).

Personally i’d rather keep my access to nice EU cod but maybe chef Webbo can knock up a decent dish with a bit of British cuttlefish.

2 hours ago, Donut said:

Youd be entirely justified in voting brexit if your justifications made any sense, which they dont.

Even a rock dweller who voted brexit because he hates the Poles has a justification for his view, your justifications either dont make any sense, contradict themselves, might not even happen, or just have no substence whatsoever.

You're very angry aren't you?

1 hour ago, Rogstanley said:

The fishing thing is just a variant of “let’s take back control” where the average brexiter sees something he perceives as ours and instinctively wants the uk to have complete control over it regardless of the consequences (to which precisely zero effort is applied to thinking about).

Personally i’d rather keep my access to nice EU cod but maybe chef Webbo can knock up a decent dish with a bit of British cuttlefish.

That's if there's any fish left to catch - part of the EU policy on fishing quotas is aimed at maintaining stocks by not overfishing.

1 hour ago, Rogstanley said:

Why shouldn't we have control of it? Nobody has given me a good reason why we should let foreign boats take our fish

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

He's destroyed you like, your argument is shit and your last word is petty.

I was hectored yesterday for agreeing with an article that said remainers are intolerant and since then every remainer on here has piled in on me. Kinda ironic don't you think? Tolerant people would have accepted my decision and moved on.

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Why shouldn't we have control of it? Nobody has given me a good reason why we should let foreign boats take our fish

English boats get most of their fish out of EU waters. They'll be screwed if that isn't allowed to continue. So one reason why we currently let EU boats in British waters is because they let British boats in EU waters.

Scottish fishermen have more of a case. But what about the consequences of protecting the Scots? What if we have to pay a significant tariff on fish like cod that we import from the EU? Most of our native fish are species, like the cuttlefish, that aren't particularly popular to eat among British people. Of the fish that we actually eat, 90% of it is imported from the EU. Do I want to pay a premium on almost all of the fish i eat just to protect a handful of Scottish fishermen? Of course not. 

4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

English boats get most of their fish out of EU waters. They'll be screwed if that isn't allowed to continue. So one reason why we currently let EU boats in British waters is because they let British boats in EU waters.

Scottish fishermen have more of a case. But what about the consequences of protecting the Scots? What if we have to pay a significant tariff on fish like cod that we import from the EU? Most of our native fish are species, like the cuttlefish, that aren't particularly popular to eat among British people. Of the fish that we actually eat, 90% of it is imported from the EU. Do I want to pay a premium on almost all of the fish i eat just to protect a handful of Scottish fishermen? Of course not. 

What we have Cod, Halibut and bass in our waters amongst others.

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I was hectored yesterday for agreeing with an article that said remainers are intolerant and since then every remainer on here has piled in on me. Kinda ironic don't you think? Tolerant people would have accepted my decision and moved on.

What you've experienced this weekend isn't intolerance, it's people demonstrating with reason, knowledge and logic why they feel your views are flawed. 

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What we have Cod, Halibut and bass in our waters amongst others.

Not a lot. 90% of the fish we eat including cod is imported from the EU.

Actually having read a bit more only about 2% of the fish caught in British waters are caught by foreign boats.

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Actually having read a bit more only about 2% of the fish caught in British waters are caught by foreign boats.

That's 2% too much. They've gone too far this time.

4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

What you've experienced this weekend isn't intolerance, it's people demonstrating with reason, knowledge and logic why they feel your views are flawed. 

Cucky McCuck? Great contribution.  It's laughable to pretend you're tolerant when you have a hissy fit every time someone disagrees. 

It's the internet, it's not important, part of me enjoys the battle but if I was working in an industry staffed with people like you I'd probably keep my thoughts to myself too.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Cucky McCuck? Great contribution.  It's laughable to pretend you're tolerant when you have a hissy fit every time someone disagrees. 

It's the internet, it's not important, part of me enjoys the battle but if I was working in an industry staffed with people like you I'd probably keep my thoughts to myself too.

Wasn't talking about me actually.

9 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

The study by the University of the Highlands and Islands’ NAFC Marine Centre discovered that boats from other EU countries on average caught 58 per cent of the fish and shellfish landed from UK waters between 2012 and 2014.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/11/foreign-eu-trawlers-catch-more-than-half-fish-landed-from-britis/

If you're going to tell a lie, at least make it believable.

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

According to 2015 figures, the UK fishing industry is made up of more than 6,000 vessels, landing 708,000 tonnes of fish worth £775m. About 10,000 tonnes of fish were caught by other countries under the London convention, worth an estimated £17m.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/02/uk-take-back-control-london-fisheries-convention-michael-gove