Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Gray taking a dig at Claudio and Shakey?

Gonna open a can of Algerian worms here but it has been said and it has to be said.

Given how poor Mahrez has been I can quite understand Gray's frustations, sat on the bench whilst Mahrez can seemingly do no wrong, get selected no matter how poor he played.

Well, his actual quote says:

"Shakey (Craig Shakespeare, Leicester manager) has always been there for me at Leicester. He always spoke to me one on one. With him getting the job now I am happy with that and hopefully I will get more of an opportunity."

So no.

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Maybe when he comes off the bench he should actually try and do something then. He's not better than Mahrez or Albrighton Therefor he shouldn't start. 

Well he was better than Mahrez last season so yeh he should start.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Gonna open a can of Algerian worms here but it has been said and it has to be said.

Given how poor Mahrez has been I can quite understand Gray's frustations, sat on the bench whilst Mahrez can seemingly do no wrong, get selected no matter how poor he played.

Fully agree with that, must have been very frustrating for him.

He seems to think he's far better than he actually is. Apart from the Tottenham games in the 15/16 FA Cup, Derby County and the goal against Man Utd I've seen nothing from him which suggests he's ready to be a consistent starter in the PL. Selfish with the ball, wastes chances and his decision making is extremely poor.

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Both as bad each other imo.

Not really, Mahrez played most games and was extremely disappointing whereas Gray had very little time on the pitch and yet had a similar impact overall.

It stands to reason that if Gray had played more he would have been far more effective than Mahrez.

You can't really judge them the same since one played continually and the other mainly got sub appearances, and even then it was the last 15 minutes most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Well, his actual quote says:

"Shakey (Craig Shakespeare, Leicester manager) has always been there for me at Leicester. He always spoke to me one on one. With him getting the job now I am happy with that and hopefully I will get more of an opportunity."

So no.

Now you've put the full quote on I think his comments are very measured. Complimentary, encouraging and ambitious, everything you could want.

1 minute ago, stevelcfc said:

Easy to say Mahrez was shit when he was being marked by 3 men all game but demmi did **** all at nearly every opportunity he was given

Yeh it is easy to say, because a good player would pass to his teammates instead of trying to take everyone on in an attempt to get a transfer.

Being marked is no excuse at all - when we won the league he played some sublime killer passes when he wasn't in a position to go round everyone himself, yet last season that sort of thing went out the window.

3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

He seems to think he's far better than he actually is. Apart from the Tottenham games in the 15/16 season, Derby County and the goal against Man Utd I've seen nothing from him which suggests he's ready to be a consistent starter in the PL. Selfish with the ball, wastes chances and his decision making is extremely poor.

Those are pretty much the only games he's started lol

Just now, Kitchandro said:

Not really, Mahrez played most games and was extremely disappointing whereas Gray had very little time on the pitch and yet had a similar impact overall.

It stands to reason that if Gray had played more he would have been far more effective than Mahrez.

You can't really judge them the same since one played continually and the other mainly got sub appearances, and even then it was the last 15 minutes most of the time.

And for that reason i'm arguing is the reason he came across as 'selfish', 'greedy', 'wasted chances', 'makes poor decisions' that people claim.

He got very little chances so when he got a chance pressure got to him and he tried too hard to impress.

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

Agreed and with the pressure of just the occasional last 10 minutes to go it's tempting for a young player to try and do too much in order to impress.

3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

He seems to think he's far better than he actually is. Apart from the Tottenham games in the 15/16 FA Cup, Derby County and the goal against Man Utd I've seen nothing from him which suggests he's ready to be a consistent starter in the PL. Selfish with the ball, wastes chances and his decision making is extremely poor.

What about when he kept coming off the bench and scoring/creating goals? But never got picked to start.

Just now, Walkers said:

Not basing my opinion on the back of that article but in a squad of some very likeable players, he is very hard to take to.

You know what, for all I know he is an arrogant little shit.

But I don't care, I could level that at some of our great players. We're trying to win matches here.

Has one good game which results a start where gets the ball but does nothing with it except blaze shots over the bar. Actually look a threat at some point and he might have more faith put in him. Say what you want about Mahrez but at some point in the game, usually after we get the first goal, he'll come alive and pick defenders apart like a toddler with a daddy long-legs.

25 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Maybe when he comes off the bench he should actually try and do something then

Nah, not fair. The games I've been to he's come on for the last 10 minutes. 

I think he's good - bit raw and a bit greedy, but would be happy to see him have a run of games rather than ten/twenty minutes here and there

Premier League managers should 'trust' talent in England U21s, says Demarai Gray

Demarai Gray scored one and set up another in England's 3-0 win over Poland on Thursday Demarai Gray scored one and set up another in England's 3-0 win over Poland on Thursday

•  Jason Burt 
23 JUNE 2017 • 10:30 PM

Demarai Gray is using the frustration of not featuring regularly for Leicester City last season as a motivation to succeed with England Under-21s at the European Championships.

The 20-year-old winger said he also hoped that England’s success at winning the Under-20s World Cup and in reaching the semi-finals – so far – at these Euros will persuade Premier League managers to “trust” young players more.

Gray has been considering his future at Leicester, having only started nine league games last season, but suggested that he would be staying at the club and was pleased that Craig Shakespeare has been appointed manager on a permanent basis.

“He always spoke to me one-on-one,” Gray said. “With him getting the job now I am happy with that and hopefully I will get more of an opportunity. I have to train properly and get my chance… I’m looking forward to the next season with Leicester. Right now I want to progress in this tournament.”

Gray scored the opening goal – and gained an assist for the second - in England’s impressive 3-0 victory over the hosts, Poland, which meant they won Group ahead of Slovakia and Sweden and will face a semi-final in either Krakow or Tychy next Tuesday.

Gray is hoping to impress sufficiently this summer that he gains more first team chances at Leicester Gray is hoping to impress sufficiently this summer that he gains more first team chances at LeicesterCREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“I thought I was ready last season but sometimes you have to be patient,” Gray said of Leicester. “Any opportunity you get you’ve got to try and express yourself. All I can do is what I did against Poland and carry it into the next game. Next season is not here for me yet, but I just want to keep up my performances like that.”

Being part of this tournament was a motivation, he added. “I was on the bench a lot last season and it was frustrating,” Gray said. “It was one of those things. I kind of kept myself motivated with this tournament. I didn’t start the first two games (of the group) but I have had to apply myself…I want to express myself as much as I can. I don’t feel like I have been able to do that as much as I want.”

Should he want to leave Gray, a £3.5million signing from Birmingham City in January 2016, would attract interest. Tottenham Hotspur and Everton have been suggested as potential suitors although he still has three years left on his contract. Leicester regard Gray highly and want to keep him and he hopes the exploits of the England teams this summer will encourage managers to give younger players their chance.

“Their achievement was massive and kind of gave us motivation and to follow in their footsteps,” Gray said of the Under-20s historic triumph in South Korea. “They are younger and to win something so big was nice to see. We saw their celebrations and we want the same celebrations here.

“The young England generation has some very, very good players. Hopefully there are opportunities given to all the lads coming up from Under-17 onwards. The future is bright for England…Managers have to trust you and give you a chance. If they do we will have more English talent coming on show.”

You could take it as a dig at Claudio but not at Shakey

Archived