Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

8 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I imagine drag is a big issue at those speeds. Plus bird strikes. 

From what I can tell, the aerodynamics of a subsonic plane and that of a supersonic one are so drastically different that designing one that is efficient at both is a massive headache, and that is the biggest issue.

• Like 2

Concorde was a marvellous engineering achievement, which unfortunatley was effectively strangled at birth by the Americans who were annoyed that the British/French beat them to building a supersonic airliner. There were lots options for orders for Concorde by when the US decided to prevent it from overflying mainland USA most airlines cancelled the orders.

This new design looks like a smaller version of Concorde. It will need to be much more efficient (Concorde was the ultimate gas guzzler). And is it actually viable? Five grand for a flight from New York to London 

30 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I imagine drag is a big issue at those speeds. Plus bird strikes. 

I think this aircraft (if it ever gets built) would fly much higer (like Concorde) where the atmosphere is much thinner, and therefore, less drag (I presume)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Concorde was a marvellous engineering achievement, which unfortunatley was effectively strangled at birth by the Americans who were annoyed that the British/French beat them to building a supersonic airliner. There were lots options for orders for Concorde by when the US decided to prevent it from overflying mainland USA most airlines cancelled the orders.

This new design looks like a smaller version of Concorde. It will need to be much more efficient (Concorde was the ultimate gas guzzler). And is it actually viable? Five grand for a flight from New York to London 

I think this aircraft (if it ever gets built) would fly much higer (like Concorde) where the atmosphere is much thinner, and therefore, less drag (I presume)

Plenty of people happy to pay that.

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

And meaningless on such a short timeline.  

May I ask why?

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Plenty of people happy to pay that.

You'd think so, but that's a large part of what killed Concorde before, have things really changed that much in two decades?

Making it more sustainable and cheaper would be the wiser business idea, IMO.

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not so! Venus is much hotter than Mars, the planet I feel is far more suitable for human colonisation in the future.

Btw, some researchers now believe that what was thought to be a black hole at the centre of the Milky Way galaxy may turn out to be a concentration of dark matter.

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-black-hole-center-milky-mass.html

8 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Not so! Venus is much hotter than Mars, the planet I feel is far more suitable for human colonisation in the future.

Btw, some researchers now believe that what was thought to be a black hole at the centre of the Milky Way galaxy may turn out to be a concentration of dark matter.

lol This is true.

Interesting news about Sagittarius A, but I think we've a ways to go before we can be sure either way on that one.

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but i very much doubt Venus will ever be colonised by humans, not humans as we know know anyway. I think that an atmospheric pressure of 1400 psi and 500 degrees surface temperature makes it pretty much inhospitable for everything apart from a rock.  

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but i very much doubt Venus will ever be colonised by humans, not humans as we know know anyway. I think that an atmospheric pressure of 1400 psi and 500 degrees surface temperature makes it pretty much inhospitable for everything apart from a rock.  

He was saying Mars is the more likely for colonisation. 

22 minutes ago, The Bear said:

He was saying Mars is the more likely for colonisation. 

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, there's no way Venus is getting any human presence on there for a bloody long time.

Aerostat colonies, maybe, but nothing on the surface - it's the closest thing we have in our Solar system to Hell.

Ah, my apologies, although i'd have thought Forest playing Cov in the Champions League final is closer.

Edited by yorkie1999

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Just came here to post this. I really want to be in Florida for the maiden flight of the SLS. 

I missed a shuttle launch by a day once due to bad weather over Houston. I was stopping at the Titusville Holiday Inn as well 😣

1 hour ago, Blarmy said:

I missed a shuttle launch by a day once due to bad weather over Houston. I was stopping at the Titusville Holiday Inn as well 😣

That's hilarious. I'm so sorry. At least you were able to see it on the pad I guess. 

Not sure though why bad weather over Houston mission control would have affected the launch unless it was headed in the direction of the Cape? Are you sure it wasn't a scrub due to adverse conditions along the launch corridor? The weather reports are issued by by the Johnson Space Centre in Houston. Could have been the upper wind profiles/wind shear- or even inclement weather in Spain for example. One of the Trans Oceanic Abort sites (TAL) was Zaragoza (although there were many of these). Fortunately TAL or RTLS (Return to Launch Site) aborts were never performed. 

I'm intrigued. You don't know the mission number do you? The year and month will do. 

56 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That's hilarious. I'm so sorry. At least you were able to see it on the pad I guess. 

Not sure though why bad weather over Houston mission control would have affected the launch unless it was headed in the direction of the Cape? Are you sure it wasn't a scrub due to adverse conditions along the launch corridor? The weather reports are issued by by the Johnson Space Centre in Houston. Could have been the upper wind profiles/wind shear- or even inclement weather in Spain for example. One of the Trans Oceanic Abort sites (TAL) was Zaragoza (although there were many of these). Fortunately TAL or RTLS (Return to Launch Site) aborts were never performed. 

I'm intrigued. You don't know the mission number do you? The year and month will do. 

I’m guessing it was STS-106, as we also saw the ill-fated Colombia in the VAB, and I’m almost certain it was it’s next flight where disaster struck. 

23 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

I’m guessing it was STS-106, as we also saw the ill-fated Colombia in the VAB, and I’m almost certain it was it’s next flight where disaster struck. 

There was no delay to the planned launch (Sept 8 2000) but there were thunderstorms in the vicinity of the Cape on the 6th. Also, a hurricane late in August that could have halted pad preparation, but it took a westerly turn.

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/sts-106/mission-sts-106.html

Wow - STS-107 was indeed the in-flight break up of Columbia the following year. That must have been very chilling - seeing the assembled stack prior to its roll out.  

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

There was no delay to the planned launch (Sept 8 2000) but there were thunderstorms in the vicinity of the Cape on the 6th. Also, a hurricane late in August that could have halted pad preparation, but it took a westerly turn.

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/sts-106/mission-sts-106.html

Wow - STS-107 was indeed the in-flight break up of Columbia the following year. That must have been very chilling - seeing the assembled stack prior to its roll out.  

Wow, thanks! Takes me back 😀

It was, I instantly realised it was what we had seen in the VAB. Was horrible. 

BBC News - Swiss voters reject key climate change measures
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57457384

This is why you get experts to do jobs which require expertise and why representative democracy where you vote on the best experts to make the decisions is better than direct democracy where everyone votes on everything.

Edited by Sampson