Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, the fox said:

i'm ready to listen to most conspiracy theories as long as the person doesn't bring up any "flat earth" talk. 

One of my friends has become a flat earther among others things after his cannabis stints - terribly sad to listen to from a guy who was so bright ten years ago. 

Genuinely believes there is a paradise beyond the Antarctic and he wants to fly to it. 

i will add however that it doesn't sound like your friend has the mental capacity to handle weed - it's not for everyone.

i find it slightly concerning that he hasn't been able to see this for himself - nor take advice from his friends that perhaps weed isn't the right drug for him.

for him to have reached such a 'state' (flat-earther ffs lol) due to weed consumption is rather rare tbh and it sounds like really he should have done better at self-policing his intake or there should have been some kind of hardcore intervention to sort his head out. 

over the years I've blazed a fair amount as have many of my friends and acquaintances - the moment any of us felt it might have been a little OTT and potentially sending us a little loopy for a while we've all been able to say 'enough is enough' and give it up.

much like you know that coming home from the pub and pissing in your wardrobe before shitting yourself in bed is probably a low point for alcohol consumption - at that point you self-police and stop doing it, as it clearly isn't for you. 

just ship him there, matt. what can possibly go wrong, if anything happens, aliens will save him anyways.

like how out of touch can you be? i get the super-paranoid theories but this is just ridiculous. is the world flat? so does that mean there is an edge? why didn't people fall? there are planes that go around the world! that's just common sense, i won't even bring up science into it.

Guest MattP
12 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

matthew, are you suggesting that cannabis is to blame for your friend's inability to believe a plethora of scientific proof that the world is round? 

weed isn't that strong, really. lol

I'm not qualified to answer, but the two in his case appear to be linked and this all started a couple of years after he started.

4 minutes ago, the fox said:

just ship him there, matt. what can possibly go wrong, if anything happens, aliens will save him anyways.

like how out of touch can you be? i get the super-paranoid theories but this is just ridiculous. is the world flat? so does that mean there is an edge? why didn't people fall? there are planes that go around the world! that's just common sense, i won't even bring up science into it.

It's absolutely mental, even the ancient Greeks worked this out by looking at the sky and we have people on the planet now who still can't get to the point they managed with the wealth of information available. 

4 minutes ago, the fox said:

I wouldn't dream of mocking your religious beliefs, foxy, but how is it any dafter than believing the Earth was made in seven days some 5,000 years ago, as many fundamentalists believe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I'm not qualified to answer, but the two in his case appear to be linked and this all started a couple of years after he started.

That doesn't even come close to demonstrating cause and effect.

• Like 1

but there is absolute stone-cold proof that the earth is round. we've sent images of the big ROUND ****er back from space. 

it's like it's absolutely 100% ****ing daylight clear that the world wasn't made in seven days either but we just let people believe whatever makes them comfortable with themselves I guess.

b2b just gonna sail off the edge of the world. 

I do feel sad for Matt's friend though. If his weed use has accelerated some sort of mental breakdown it's a shame and I hope that with support of people around him he can get himself sorted. 

some people need to live a clean teetotal life void of any influential substance to enjoy it fully - he sounds like one of these people.

is anyone still actively trying to sort this guy out Matt? sounds like he needs a good friend and a new hobby to get him out of his slump and back into the real world. 

Guest MattP
21 minutes ago, Buce said:

That doesn't even come close to demonstrating cause and effect.

Hence why I said I wasn't going to say it was, it's just impossible to ignore when he was so normal before it.

11 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I do feel sad for Matt's friend though. If his weed use has accelerated some sort of mental breakdown it's a shame and I hope that with support of people around him he can get himself sorted. 

some people need to live a clean teetotal life void of any influential substance to enjoy it fully - he sounds like one of these people.

is anyone still actively trying to sort this guy out Matt? sounds like he needs a good friend and a new hobby to get him out of his slump and back into the real world. 

We've tried for years, pointless, he isn't interested - mention it and he goes crazy.

When he does come out (usually because he'll ask for money) he's no fun either, says nothing and stares at the wall.

It is tragic though, good career, great company and solid guy ten years ago, now just sits in his room all day and can't last more than a few weeks in a job.

sorry to hear that dude but sounds to me like your friend has problems that run deeper than weed.

plenty of motivated people who get high out there so it's not a given that your life will drop off a cliff after you take up weed.

but sounds like it maybe wasn't right for him and whilst it might not be the root cause of his issues (maybe it is - can happen) it may well have acted as an accelerant or enabled him to shirk his responsibilities and hermit himself. 

but - it's not like the guy has a heroin addiction. if it really is tragic and he is a good friend then you and your other mates would do well to get round there, intervene as a group, tell him he's lost the plot and that you're all there for him to sort his shit out.

weed isn't heroin - he just needs to see where he's going wrong. he isn't beyond help so don't give up on him.

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Weed is bad for you, that's my unpopular opinion.

not really unpopular though tbh. 

just out of interest - as someone who spends their time working in the medical profession (ambulance IIRC?) what's your opinion on alcohol?

how many call outs have you attended because of weed and how much time do you waste of an evening / weekend dealing with drunks?

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

not really unpopular though tbh. 

just out of interest - as someone who spends their time working in the medical profession (ambulance IIRC?) what's your opinion on alcohol?

how many call outs have you attended because of weed and how much time do you waste of an evening / weekend dealing with drunks?

TBH it's hard to say as mostly those who have used cannabis are generally under the radar and generally we only have to treat them when they've consumed other drugs, including alcohol although, in my experience cannabis users don't usually use alcohol at the same time.

Those who've consumed excess alcohol are common, particularly at weekends. However, those that binge drink at weekends rarely go on to suffer from paranoia, which not uncommon with long term cannabis use.

Weekend drunks can be violent, abusive, nasty or, on the other hand, they can be you're best mate. Alcohol does result in more A&E attendances than cannabis, there's no denying that, but I don't think you can say a call to a drunk is any different to a call to a drug/cannabis user who, because of their mental state, is in need of an ambulance. It's just that the effect of alcohol use is more obvious.

I have personal experience of someone in my family suffering paranoia through cannabis use and then going on to develop bi-polar disorder and anxiety. The use of cannabis is a definite contributing factor to this.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Parafox said:

TBH it's hard to say as mostly those who have used cannabis are generally under the radar and generally we only have to treat them when they've consumed other drugs, including alcohol although, in my experience cannabis users don't usually use alcohol at the same time.

Those who've consumed excess alcohol are common, particularly at weekends. However, those that binge drink at weekends rarely go on to suffer from paranoia, which not uncommon with long term cannabis use.

Weekend drunks can be violent, abusive, nasty or, on the other hand, they can be you're best mate. Alcohol does result in more A&E attendances than cannabis, there's no denying that, but I don't think you can say a call to a drunk is any different to a call to a drug/cannabis user who, because of their mental state, is in need of an ambulance. It's just that the effect of alcohol use is more obvious.

Thanks for the answer.

So in short - you very rarely ever get a call-out for people who have consumed only cannabis. That's what I expected. 

I guess the bit about paranoia with prolonged use is relevant but 'everything in moderation' is key here - I don't advocate prolonged heavy cannabis use - people need a break from any substance sometimes.

However, considering the long-term effects of alcoholism / binge drinking, etc. consists of the following list of issues:

The psychiatric disorders which are associated with alcoholism include major depression, dysthymia, mania, hypomania, panic disorder, phobias, generalized anxiety disorder, personality disorders, schizophrenia, suicide, neurologic deficits (e.g. impairments of working memory, emotions, executive functions, visuospatial abilities and gait and balance) and brain damage.

If we took the world's alcohol consumption and replaced it with sensible cannabis use I'm absolutely certain that you'd have A&E departments half as full on a weekend, your ambulance either parked up or attending more important call-outs and you'd maybe have one or two people who've pranged after a spliff who'd eventually calm down and end up talking about whether the earth is round or flat in your hospital waiting room.

The effect of alcohol is more obvious because when consumed in quantity it's an aggressive depressant that makes people either sick through over-consumption or want to fight each other in the street over mediocre arguments. 

As Mike Skinner from the Streets once put it:

You know I don't see why I should be the criminal 
How can something with no recorded fatalities be illegal 
And how many deaths are there per year from alcohol 
I just completed Gran Tourismo on the hardest setting 
We pose no threat on my settee 
Ooh the pizza's here will someone let him in please 
"We didn't order chicken, Not a problem we'll pick it out 
I doubt they meant to mess us about 
After all we're all adults not louts." 
As I was saying, we're friendly peaceful people 
We're not the ones out there causing trouble. 
We just sit in this hazy bubble with our quarters 
Discussing how beautiful Gail Porter is. 
MTV, BBC Two, Channel Four is on until six in the morning. 
Then at six in the morning the sun dawns and it's my bedtime. 

:)

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 2

It's true that weed can affect your social skills, make you more withdrawn and more interested in conspiracy theories.  That said, @lifted*fox is right when he says that people with otherwise healthy brains will notice when the changes are getting on top of them and arrest the development in the same way that most people without addictive personalities are capable of self-policing their alcohol consumption.  For the unlucky ones who are susceptible to the negative effects of cannabis it's of paramount importance that they are able to get the support they need, being a criminalised substance though can you really expect a person struggling with paranoia to be comfortable seeking official help?  Legalise, tax, de-stigmatise, educate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the fox said:

a common misconception, that's more like the bible than the quran

Big Bang?

The Qur'an says that "the heavens and the earth were joined together as one unit, before We clove them asunder" (21:30). Following this big explosion, Allah "turned to the sky, and it had been (as) smoke. He said to it and to the earth: 'Come together, willingly or unwillingly.' They said: 'We come (together) in willing obedience'" (41:11). Thus the elements and what was to become the planets and stars began to cool, come together, and form into shape, following the natural laws that Allah established in the universe.

The Qur'an further states that Allah created the sun, the moon, and the planets, each with their own individual courses or orbits. "It is He Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon; all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course" (21:33).

Expansion of Universe

"The heavens, We have built them with power. And verily, We are expanding it" (51:47). There has been some historical debate among Muslim scholars about the precise meaning of this verse, since knowledge of the universe's expansion was only recently discovered.

Six Days?

The Qur'an states that "Allah created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six days" (7:54). While on the surface this might seem similar to the account related in the Bible, there are some important distinctions.

The verses that mention "six days" use the Arabic word "youm" (day). This word appears several other times in the Qur'an, each denoting a different measurement of time. In one case, the measure of a day is equated with 50,000 years (70:4), whereas another verse states that "a day in the sight of your Lord is like 1,000 years of your reckoning" (22:47). The word "youm" is thus understood, within the Qur'an, to be a long period of time -- an era or eon. Therefore, Muslims interpret the description of a "six day" creation as six distinct periods or eons. The length of these periods is not precisely defined, nor are the specific developments that took place during each period.

After completing the Creation, the Qur'an describes that Allah "settled Himself upon the Throne" (57:4) to oversee His work. A distinct point is made to counter the Biblical idea of a day of rest: "We created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them in six days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us" (50:38).

Allah is never "done" with His work, because the process of creation is ongoing. Each new child who is born, every seed that sprouts into a sapling, every new species that appears on earth, is part of the ongoing process of Allah's creation. "He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, then established Himself on the Throne. He knows what enters within the heart of the earth, and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven, and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wherever you may be. And Allah sees well all that you do" (57:4).

The Qur'anic account of creation is in line with modern scientific thought about the development of the universe and life on earth. Muslims acknowledge that life developed over a long period of time, but see Allah's power behind it all. Descriptions of creation in the Qur'an are set in context to remind the readers of Allah's majesty and wisdom. "What is the matter with you, that you are not conscious of Allah's majesty, seeing that it is He Who has created you in diverse stages? See you not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another, and made the moon a light in their midst, and made the sun as a (glorious) lamp? And Allah has produced you from the earth, growing (gradually)" (71:13-17).

Life Came From Water

The Qur'an describes that Allah "made from water every living thing" (21:30). Another verse describes how "Allah has created every animal from water. Of them are some that creep on their bellies, some that walk on two legs, and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills, for truly Allah has power over all things" (24:45). These verses support the scientific theory that life began in the Earth's oceans.

Creation of Adam & Eve

While Islam recognizes the general idea of the development of life in stages, over a period of time, human beings are considered as a special act of creation. Islam teaches that human beings are a unique life form that was created by Allah in a special way, with unique gifts and abilities unlike any other: a soul and conscience, knowledge, and free will. In short, Muslims do not believe that human beings randomly evolved from apes. The life of human beings began with the creation of two people, a male and a female named Adam and Hawwa (Eve).

The Qur'an describes how Allah created Adam: "We created man from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape..." (15:26). And, "He began the creation of man from clay, and made his progeny from a quintessence of fluid" (32:7-8). Thus, human beings have a fundamental attachment to the earth.

While the creation of Eve is not described in detail, the Qur'an does make it clear that a "mate" was created with Adam, from the same nature and soul. "It is He Who created you from a single person, and made his mate of like nature, in order that he might dwell with her in love" (7:189). She is not mentioned by name in the Qur'an, but in Islamic tradition she is known as "Hawwa" (Eve).

Thank you, foxy, that’s very enlightening. 

• Like 1