Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

12 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Thanks for the answer.

So in short - you very rarely ever get a call-out for people who have consumed only cannabis. That's what I expected. 

I guess the bit about paranoia with prolonged use is relevant but 'everything in moderation' is key here - I don't advocate prolonged heavy cannabis use - people need a break from any substance sometimes.

However, considering the long-term effects of alcoholism / binge drinking, etc. consists of the following list of issues:

If we took the world's alcohol consumption and replaced it with sensible cannabis use I'm absolutely certain that you'd have A&E departments half as full on a weekend, your ambulance either parked up or attending more important call-outs and you'd maybe have one or two people who've pranged after a spliff who'd eventually calm down and end up talking about whether the earth is round or flat in your hospital waiting room.

The effect of alcohol is more obvious because when consumed in quantity it's an aggressive depressant that makes people either sick through over-consumption or want to fight each other in the street over mediocre arguments. 

As Mike Skinner from the Streets once put it:

:)

I’ve been a regular (though moderate) user for something like thirty-five years without any obvious negative effects. 

So don’t imply I’m fvcking paranoid, ok? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, the fox said:

a common misconception, that's more like the bible than the quran

Big Bang?

The Qur'an says that "the heavens and the earth were joined together as one unit, before We clove them asunder" (21:30). Following this big explosion, Allah "turned to the sky, and it had been (as) smoke. He said to it and to the earth: 'Come together, willingly or unwillingly.' They said: 'We come (together) in willing obedience'" (41:11). Thus the elements and what was to become the planets and stars began to cool, come together, and form into shape, following the natural laws that Allah established in the universe.

The Qur'an further states that Allah created the sun, the moon, and the planets, each with their own individual courses or orbits. "It is He Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon; all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course" (21:33).

Expansion of Universe

"The heavens, We have built them with power. And verily, We are expanding it" (51:47). There has been some historical debate among Muslim scholars about the precise meaning of this verse, since knowledge of the universe's expansion was only recently discovered.

Six Days?

The Qur'an states that "Allah created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six days" (7:54). While on the surface this might seem similar to the account related in the Bible, there are some important distinctions.

The verses that mention "six days" use the Arabic word "youm" (day). This word appears several other times in the Qur'an, each denoting a different measurement of time. In one case, the measure of a day is equated with 50,000 years (70:4), whereas another verse states that "a day in the sight of your Lord is like 1,000 years of your reckoning" (22:47). The word "youm" is thus understood, within the Qur'an, to be a long period of time -- an era or eon. Therefore, Muslims interpret the description of a "six day" creation as six distinct periods or eons. The length of these periods is not precisely defined, nor are the specific developments that took place during each period.

After completing the Creation, the Qur'an describes that Allah "settled Himself upon the Throne" (57:4) to oversee His work. A distinct point is made to counter the Biblical idea of a day of rest: "We created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them in six days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us" (50:38).

Allah is never "done" with His work, because the process of creation is ongoing. Each new child who is born, every seed that sprouts into a sapling, every new species that appears on earth, is part of the ongoing process of Allah's creation. "He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, then established Himself on the Throne. He knows what enters within the heart of the earth, and what comes forth out of it, what comes down from heaven, and what mounts up to it. And He is with you wherever you may be. And Allah sees well all that you do" (57:4).

Life Came From Water

The Qur'an describes that Allah "made from water every living thing" (21:30). Another verse describes how "Allah has created every animal from water. Of them are some that creep on their bellies, some that walk on two legs, and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills, for truly Allah has power over all things" (24:45). These verses support the scientific theory that life began in the Earth's oceans.

).

Interesting, seems to reconcile the creation idea with the correct timeframe of the age of the Universe in the same way that some Bible scholars do, but just a little different. The expansion sentence - could it just be something for embellishment or is it possible that some of the scholars at the time actually considered the idea that the Universe was expanding?

I'm glad Young Earth Creationism isn't as prevalent in Islam as it is in some areas of fundie Christianity, in any case.

5 hours ago, the fox said:

you welcome, mate. if you got time, you can read some of the things in here. some fascinating stuff in english

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles_of_quran/index.html

Will do.

I have another question, if I may: Assuming that Islam agrees with Christian belief that Adam and Eve had two sons, how does it reconcile the obvious question as to where their wives came from?

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Buce said:

I’ve been a regular (though moderate) user for something like thirty-five years without any obvious negative effects. 

So don’t imply I’m fvcking paranoid, ok? 

You might think you're not paranoid, but what about those that do?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Will do.

I have another question, if I may: Assuming that Islam agrees with Christian belief that Adam and Eve had two sons, how does it reconcile the obvious question as to where their wives came from?

Incest? One got the Cain, the other was Able, so maybe he took advantage...

Edited by Parafox

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Will do.

not just 2, they had many. as far as i know, eve gave birth (at first) to 2 set of twins, a boy and a girl and a boy and a girl. there were no other way to populate the earth. and here where cain and abel's situation came into play.

let's put it this way, cain's twin was gorgeous, while abel's twin........ not as much. cain felt like he was getting the short end of the stick even though the orders were abviouse that the marriage won't be conducted in such manner and they are ordered to marry the other's twin. 

cain felt envious, so god ordered them to offer a sacrifice, the one who's sacrifice is accepted will get what he wants. and surely, cain came short once again. abel's sacrifice was obviously better, abel was responsible for the cattle and offered the biggest ram he had while cain ploughed the earth but didn't offer his best crop.

“And (O Muhammad) recite to them (the Jews) the story of the two sons of Adam (Abel and Cain) in truth; when each offered a sacrifice to God, it was accepted from the one but not from the other.  The latter said to the former; ‘I will surely kill you.’” (Quran 5:27)

Abel advised his brother that God would accept good deeds from those that fear and serve Him, but reject the good deeds of those who are arrogant, selfish and disobedient towards God. “The former said: ‘Verily God accepts only from those who are pious.  If you do stretch your hand against me to kill me I shall never stretch my hand against you to kill you, for I fear God; the Lord of mankind, jinn, and all that exists.’” (Quran 5:27-28)

and i guess those phrases didn't help calm cain down, the anger was boiling inside of him and he couldn't see straight. he went on and killed abel by hitting him in the head because satan kept whispering in his ear time and time again. now cain messed everything up, he is now the first human to kill, and the one he killed was his brother. adam was devistated, he now lost both his sons. one was murdered while the other lost the way and gave in to the temptations of satan. (he went on to have other sons)

Edited by the fox

So God made the Earth in 7 days and Allah made it in 6 ..   how do you work that one out then ??   How can they both make it !!   Or did God make the Earth and, as it took less time, Allah made the moon thinking it was the Earth !!   Orrr ...    are God and Allah the same being !!  :o

Or ...  is it all a load of cobblers ...

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

So God made the Earth in 7 days and Allah made it in 6 ..   how do you work that one out then ??   How can they both make it !!   Or did God make the Earth and, as it took less time, Allah made the moon thinking it was the Earth !!   Orrr ...    are God and Allah the same being !!  :o

Or ...  is it all a load of cobblers ...

Well, let's face it, those foreigners work harder than we do. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Religion had no idea about the universe. That Qoran stuff is either guesswork, coincidences, or more likely it has been quietly updated to fit the science.

quran wasn't touched, there aren't factories out there printing out different versions.
you would be surprised of how many "guesswork" and "coincidences" are in the quran.

here the quran talks about how the baby forms in the womb of his mother:

The embryo attaches itself to the mother to feed, just like a leech attaches itself to a host to feed. Also bones form before muscles. This was only known recently. However 1400 years ago it was all stated in the Quran in the correct order:

[Quran 23.14] Then We developed the semen into a leech. Then We developed the leech into a lump. Then We developed the lump into bones. Then We clothed the bones with flesh. Then We produced it into another creature. Most Blessed is Allah, the Best of Creators.

The vertebra is the first part of the skeleton to form however it is still made of cartilage. The first cartilage that turns into actual bone is the mandible (jaw bone). This Meckel's cartilage turns into bone 3 days before its respective muscles form:

"The sequential development of the Meckel's cartilage started as early as stage 13 (32 days) with the appearance of condensation of mesenchymal cells within the mandibular prominence. During stage 17 (41 days), the primary ossification center of the mandible appeared on the inferior margin of the Meckel's cartilage. The muscular attachments to the Meckel's cartilage in embryos were observed at stage 18 (44 days)."
Wyganowska-Świątkowska M, Przystańska A. The Meckel's cartilage in human embryonic and early fetal periods. Anat Sci Int. 2011 Jun;86(2):98-107. doi:10.1007/s12565-010-0093-3. Epub 2010 Aug 27. PubMed PMID: 20799009.

The first formation of actual bones happens at the jaw bone at day 41. Three days later the associated muscles form.

42 minutes ago, the fox said:

not just 2, they had many. as far as i know, eve gave birth (at first) to 2 set of twins, a boy and a girl and a boy and a girl. there were no other way to populate the earth. and here where cain and abel's situation came into play.

let's put it this way, cain's twin was gorgeous, while abel's twin........ not as much. cain felt like he was getting the short end of the stick even though the orders were abviouse that the marriage won't be conducted in such manner and they are ordered to marry the other's twin. 

cain felt envious, so god ordered them to offer a sacrifice, the one who's sacrifice is accepted will get what he wants. and surely, cain came short once again. abel's sacrifice was obviously better, abel was responsible for the cattle and offered the biggest ram he had while cain ploughed the earth but didn't offer his best crop.

“And (O Muhammad) recite to them (the Jews) the story of the two sons of Adam (Abel and Cain) in truth; when each offered a sacrifice to God, it was accepted from the one but not from the other.  The latter said to the former; ‘I will surely kill you.’” (Quran 5:27)

Abel advised his brother that God would accept good deeds from those that fear and serve Him, but reject the good deeds of those who are arrogant, selfish and disobedient towards God. “The former said: ‘Verily God accepts only from those who are pious.  If you do stretch your hand against me to kill me I shall never stretch my hand against you to kill you, for I fear God; the Lord of mankind, jinn, and all that exists.’” (Quran 5:27-28)

and i guess those phrases didn't help calm cain down, the anger was boiling inside of him and he couldn't see straight. he went on and killed abel by hitting him in the head because satan kept whispering in his ear time and time again. now cain messed everything up, he is now the first human to kill, and the one he killed was his brother. adam was devistated, he now lost both his sons. one was murdered while the other lost the way and gave in to the temptations of satan. (he went on to have other sons)

So you are saying that they all had children with their siblings, and by definition their children and grandchildren also inbred?

You're clearly an intelligent guy - surely, regardless of faith, you can see that isn't possible.

Just now, Buce said:

So you are saying that they all had children with their siblings, and by definition their children and grandchildren also inbred?

You're clearly an intelligent guy - surely, regardless of faith, you can see that isn't possible.

no, i don't think so. it was just the first generation (iirc). no matter if you believe in religion or just the evolution of humans from monkeys or such thing, it was all started that way. unless they couldn't start a fire but can creat other humans or clones

1 minute ago, the fox said:

no, i don't think so. it was just the first generation (iirc). no matter if you believe in religion or just the evolution of humans from monkeys or such thing, it was all started that way. unless they couldn't start a fire but can creat other humans or clones

Aside that inbreeding causes genetic defects (the reason why nearly all societies prohibit marriage between close relatives), we also wouldn't have the genetic diversity that we have now.

It's demonstrably untrue, and I find it odd that someone of your obvious intelligence can ignore it on the grounds of faith.

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Aside that inbreeding causes genetic defects (the reason why nearly all societies prohibit marriage between close relatives), we also wouldn't have the genetic diversity that we have now.

It's demonstrably untrue, and I find it odd that someone of your obvious intelligence can ignore it on the grounds of faith.

eve gave birth to only twins (boy and girl), see it like this, they were forbidden to marry their twin., (look at the cain and abel story). they had different looks. not all looked the same.

god have forbidden such marriage after the first generation because the only reason was out of necessity for humans to populate earth

7 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

If children want to go to the toilet they can bloody well wait.

I was enjoying that debate, borne of troll as it might have been. Can't really see what it was costing the forum. Heavy handed modding.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I was enjoying that debate, borne of troll as it might have been. Can't really see what it was costing the forum. Heavy handed modding.

seeing that many kids pissed themselves because of that and are now traumatised for life, i can understand why the mods didn't like it. holding it for too long will cause serious damage. it isn't really a laughing matter especially for people who have kids here.

8 hours ago, the fox said:

you welcome, mate. if you got time, you can read some of the things in here. some fascinating stuff in english

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles_of_quran/index.html

I don't think I'll ever believe anything on faith alone, but your link is indeed fascinating.

Can you explain why in some chapters, Allah refers to himself in the plural (we/us)?

seeing that many kids pissed themselves because of that and are now traumatised for life, i can understand why the mods didn't like it. holding it for too long will cause serious damage. it isn't really a laughing matter especially for people who have kids here.
Closing the debate doesn't really solve any of that though does it? Censorship of the worst kind.