Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

10 hours ago, Strokes said:

Ive always found it a lot easier to do early morning runs, than evening runs. Training through the winter can be challenging but overall I prefer it to the summer, the ground is much softer in the winter and my knees can withstand much heavier training.

Running first thing in the morning has crossed my mind but I’m yet to actually try it. The simple reason is that I’d rather stay in bed but I’ll do my utmost to give it a go soon. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, silebyboy said:

Running first thing in the morning has crossed my mind but I’m yet to actually try it. The simple reason is that I’d rather stay in bed but I’ll do my utmost to give it a go soon. 

I guess it’s down to individual technique to motivate ones self but I really struggled with evenings. I used to run with a weighted rucksack and I’d pack it and lay my gear out the night before. Get up, get dressed and go. You don’t really get time for negative thoughts other than that initial alarm. It suited me and my lifestyle but I know training is so different from person to person. For instance, I can’t train in groups, I get too competitive for long distance and can’t pace myself even with that in knowledge. So joining clubs is no good for me but for friends it’s what gets them off of the sofa. 

You just need to find a formula that works for you.

1 hour ago, silebyboy said:

Honestly it’s worth a try but not for all

your body is ready when your body is ready 

I’m a shift worker so sometimes mornings are great and other times late evening is great 

it is when it is when it is when it is (if you know what I mean) 

12 hours ago, Strokes said:

Ive always found it a lot easier to do early morning runs, than evening runs. Training through the winter can be challenging but overall I prefer it to the summer, the ground is much softer in the winter and my knees can withstand much heavier training.

Early morning is so the way forward for exercise, including lifting.

• Like 1

I've always preferred my early morning runs before the rest of the world wakes up, but typically find it impossible to get up early enough during the week. I'm awake, but 'getting up' is a whole other step... I never have an issue getting up at the same time for a morning run at the weekend though, strangely.

Always seem to have so much more energy and feel more awake for the rest of the day when I run in the morning, whereas evening runs just knacker me and I end up lazing about until bed. So easy to skip an evening run after work, too.

I know it's a matter of dedication > motivation, so just need to force myself into the habit... Easier said than done though!

I can lift weights at the crack of dawn but I can only run in the evenings. Hate running outside in the winter, going to stick indoors for the time being until the weather improves. Love running down here in the summer, up and down the seafront and then run into the sea to cool off at the end, bliss. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bump but I can't find the general running thread (swear there is one)

I'm new to running, and am gradually upping what I do. Up to about 3.5 miles per run, been told by various people that I need to get some proper running shoes or I'm going to bugger legs up. Can anyone recommend any road running shoes for up to about £50?

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:20, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Sorry for bump but I can't find the general running thread (swear there is one)

I'm new to running, and am gradually upping what I do. Up to about 3.5 miles per run, been told by various people that I need to get some proper running shoes or I'm going to bugger legs up. Can anyone recommend any road running shoes for up to about £50?

General recommendations aren't that helpful, unfortunately, as everyone's feet might react differently to the different support provided by each shoe. A better bet would be to go somewhere and try loads of pairs on and pick whatever is most comfortable (making sure to size up a bit as your feet will swell during runs).

There's a lot of talk about gait analysis and 'support' shoes for over/under pronation, but the trend seems to be moving away from this now to just focusing on comfort. Getting fitted by someone who knows what they're doing can still be useful though. I'm planning on going sometime this week as my current pair have about had it...

For £50, if you find a pair that you like then it might be worth checking online for the previous year's model. There's usually minimal changes, but the price drops a lot so some bargains can be had.

On a side note, to really ensure you don't bugger up your legs it's probably worth starting some strength & mobility exercises regularly. I used to have constant niggles which kept coming back after rest, but recently started daily exercises and it seems to be helping so far. I alternate days with a few basic kettlebell exercises, and Coach Jay Johnson's SAM routine, plus doing daily calf raises to help with shin splints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a running shop recently opened in the Highcross where you can go and try on different trainers and have a run on the treadmill.

Running trainers are generally quite expensive but you can get a half decent pair of Asics for around £50.

Something like this: 

https://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/AS1673?ds_rl=1260413&ds_rl=1260413&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLeQ-8_O3gIVB4XVCh0YrgN2EAYYBSABEgKnufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I had a gait analysis at Up and Running the other week and it was really useful as I have quite significantly over-pronate feet. Only took a few minutes but it was really useful to see the difference it made for me.

Was that in Nottingham? That's where I was planning to go and trying to figure out if I can squeeze it into a lunch break at work.

Is it free, there, btw? I know some stores charge upfront for it (but knock that cost off the price of shoes if you buy from them).

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Was that in Nottingham? That's where I was planning to go and trying to figure out if I can squeeze it into a lunch break at work.

Is it free, there, btw? I know some stores charge upfront for it (but knock that cost off the price of shoes if you buy from them).

It was in York which is where I live. 

It's free. I didn't buy shoes there and then as I went in on a whim but they do a price match so I'm probably going to take an online price back to them.

I **think** Asics do them for free as well.

• Thanks 1

I did an impromptu half marathon once... in football boots! It was either that or motorcycle boots.

I used to ride to football training. One evening, the pitch wasn't fit for training so the coach took us out for a run. I only had my footballs boots (short moulded studs, it was preseason and grounds were still hard) or my motorcycle boots, so not really a choice. No idea how long of took (not now anyway) but I don't remember it being a hardship. That said, I was 18 ish and probably as fit as I've ever been.

Edited by FoxNotFox

Did my first 5 mile run today, pleased I'm managing to up it slightly each time. I find it odd that after a mile or so I'm completely out of breath, but I plough on and it becomes less of an issue

I bought some New Balance running shoes for about £50, and they definitely ease the calf muscle pain I was getting from running in normal trainers

• 2 months later...
On 17/11/2018 at 23:50, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Did my first 5 mile run today, pleased I'm managing to up it slightly each time. I find it odd that after a mile or so I'm completely out of breath, but I plough on and it becomes less of an issue

I bought some New Balance running shoes for about £50, and they definitely ease the calf muscle pain I was getting from running in normal trainers

Good effort bud

you still going out running now ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Good effort bud

you still going out running now ?

Thanks!

Yeah, I usually run 6-8 miles, 3 times a week. I'm not really upping the total length I do on a run now but I am now enjoying it and it's a great way to burn off the calories and get the blood pumping

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Thanks!

Yeah, I usually run 6-8 miles, 3 times a week. I'm not really upping the total length I do on a run now but I am now enjoying it and it's a great way to burn off the calories and get the blood pumping

Good effort bud keep going

ive just signed up for the Derby half marathon in June (did it last year for first time) and plodding with my training at mo

i usually try 2 half decent runs a week and then another 3/4 smaller runs at a more sedate pace which seems to work for me but I know different training plans work for others

anyway keep going bud and good on you

• Like 1

I’ve just done 10km in -13 degrees (working in Norway)…blooming freezing…. Snow underfoot, but, managed it in 55 mins

one of the beauties of running is that all you need is to chuck a pair of runners in your case and your off…

im looking to do a 1/2 marathon at some point…. Anybody know any coming up in the next few months?

049676D3-BDF9-43AA-A328-42FA1833AF94.jpeg

5 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I’ve just done 10km in -13 degrees (working in Norway)…blooming freezing…. Snow underfoot, but, managed it in 55 mins

one of the beauties of running is that all you need is to chuck a pair of runners in your case and your off…

im looking to do a 1/2 marathon at some point…. Anybody know any coming up in the next few months?

Silverstone half is in February usually....

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Rutland 1/2 in April.

https://www.therutlandmarathon.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

Still working my way back from a knee injury picked up in November. Every time I think I'm recovered I'll go out on a few runs and it feels fine at first then strikes again. Hip/Core work and the exercise bike is all I'm doing at the minute, which sucks. Anxious to get back out again.

Signed up for a couple league races though. West End 8 and Bosworth Half in May. Also entered Equinox in September and will be entering Leicester as my first marathon when that opens up.

• Thanks 1