Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

On 30/01/2019 at 09:23, Xen said:

Still working my way back from a knee injury picked up in November. Every time I think I'm recovered I'll go out on a few runs and it feels fine at first then strikes again. Hip/Core work and the exercise bike is all I'm doing at the minute, which sucks. Anxious to get back out again.

Signed up for a couple league races though. West End 8 and Bosworth Half in May. Also entered Equinox in September and will be entering Leicester as my first marathon when that opens up.

How’s your injury now buddy?

hope you are making progress

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

How’s your injury now buddy?

hope you are making progress

Feels like I'm back to normal :) Endurance is still not quite where it was, but I've been running again for a couple weeks without issue - even matched my 5K PB at Braunstone parkrun on Saturday, somehow. I can tell I'm ramping up a bit too quickly though so need to reign it in a bit before I reinjure myself. Been a bit slack on the conditioning work as well recently, so need to get back in the habit.

How have you been getting on?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xen said:

Feels like I'm back to normal :) Endurance is still not quite where it was, but I've been running again for a couple weeks without issue - even matched my 5K PB at Braunstone parkrun on Saturday, somehow. I can tell I'm ramping up a bit too quickly though so need to reign it in a bit before I reinjure myself. Been a bit slack on the conditioning work as well recently, so need to get back in the habit.

Yeah not bad ta, still not running as well as pre Christmas period weirdly but not too far off it 

completed over 200 miles so far this year 

but looking now for more quality rather than quantity which is trickier than it sounds for me

On 28/02/2019 at 10:14, Xen said:

As an aside bud if you ever fancy a few miles run with company just message me, I do work shifts so not always available but would try my best to meet up etc 

just a thought as I know I run better generally with company (and enjoy it more etc)

• 1 month later...

Been struggling last couple of weeks with plantar fasciitis in my right foot 

bloody annoying but had a complete 8 day break from running altogether and now just done a few gentle jogs to test it out over the last few days 

got to get back up to speed quickly for the Liverpool half marathon at the end of May  :sweating:

Injuries are so f*in annoying. Fingers crossed it stays OK for ya, @Bob Weasel Fox.

I've had shin splints numerous times before, always when I get up to about 25mpw, always in the same leg. True to form, came back again early April. Like you I took a week off over Easter and been doing a sh*t-ton of calf-raises and the like, and I *think* I'm finally over it. Just as well, too, seeing as I've got 4 races in the next 5 weeks, including a half on the 12th lol

Best of luck for Liverpool! Is that the Rock'n'roll one? Heard good things about that course.

Signed up for the full at Leicester this year as my first marathon, so gonna be putting in a ton of work over the summer for that. 

• Thanks 1

Hope it gets better soon for you @Wolfox

cheers @Xen yes Rock and Roll half marathon last weekend in May then I am due to do Derby half marathon in June only a couple of weeks later ! Not sure how I will hold up for that. :o

similarly i I was thinking of doing my first marathon this year and was considering doing the Leicester one in October but been advised you have to run on your own (as in nobody near you) for a lot of it? Would prefer numbers around me to keep me going if that makes sense? Will see anyway. :dunno:

good luck to you in your races @Xen :fc:

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Hope it gets better soon for you @Wolfox

cheers @Xen yes Rock and Roll half marathon last weekend in May then I am due to do Derby half marathon in June only a couple of weeks later ! Not sure how I will hold up for that. :o

similarly i I was thinking of doing my first marathon this year and was considering doing the Leicester one in October but been advised you have to run on your own (as in nobody near you) for a lot of it? Would prefer numbers around me to keep me going if that makes sense? Will see anyway. :dunno:

good luck to you in your races @Xen :fc:

Awesome, good luck! I did Robin Hood/Leicester Half with two weeks in between and it was tough but as long as you take it easy between you'll be fine.

Yeah, I've heard the same. Leicester probably wouldn't be my first choice as the support can make a big difference, but I'd planned it to be the weekend of my 26th birthday so I thought the 26.2 miles would be a good way to 'celebrate'. The fact they moved it to the week earlier ruins that a little bit, but nevermind... :dunno:lol 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Xen said:

Awesome, good luck! I did Robin Hood/Leicester Half with two weeks in between and it was tough but as long as you take it easy between you'll be fine.

Yeah, I've heard the same. Leicester probably wouldn't be my first choice as the support can make a big difference, but I'd planned it to be the weekend of my 26th birthday so I thought the 26.2 miles would be a good way to 'celebrate'. The fact they moved it to the week earlier ruins that a little bit, but nevermind... :dunno:lol 

I would run “my age” but don’t fancy a 48 mile run lol 

• Haha 2

I’m doing a Half Marathon in 2 weeks and I’ve done no training. I feel like I’m on a hiding to nothing... but I guess I may as well give it a go and train better for next year.

It’ll tell me a lot about my self motivation on the day if nothing else. 

6 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I’m doing a Half Marathon in 2 weeks and I’ve done no training. I feel like I’m on a hiding to nothing... but I guess I may as well give it a go and train better for next year.

It’ll tell me a lot about my self motivation on the day if nothing else. 

Probably be pretty difficult if you've not done any running at all mate. The last two weeks you should be dropping your mileage and doing very little training anyway but kudos for giving it a go!

Is it the leeds half? I did that last year and it's quite hilly which makes it tough.

My advice would be go really slowly and don't get carried away - loads of people do and they're the ones walking after 5 miles. Take it easy and just focus on keeping going rather than thinking about how far you've got left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ajthefox said:

Probably be pretty difficult if you've not done any running at all mate. The last two weeks you should be dropping your mileage and doing very little training anyway but kudos for giving it a go!

Is it the leeds half? I did that last year and it's quite hilly which makes it tough.

My advice would be go really slowly and don't get carried away - loads of people do and they're the ones walking after 5 miles. Take it easy and just focus on keeping going rather than thinking about how far you've got left.

Yeah it’s the Leeds one mate. I play football twice a week and train twice a week, so getting runs in when I’m not feeling too bad (aches/knocks) seems pretty difficult. Hopefully that might just get me through but I’ve never run that kind of distance before. 

Cheers for the advice, there’s a few of us doing it so I’d definitely be best off letting the others just run on. 

37 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yeah it’s the Leeds one mate. I play football twice a week and train twice a week, so getting runs in when I’m not feeling too bad (aches/knocks) seems pretty difficult. Hopefully that might just get me through but I’ve never run that kind of distance before. 

Cheers for the advice, there’s a few of us doing it so I’d definitely be best off letting the others just run on. 

Oh ok so you aren't starting from scratch then.

It was an enjoyable route last year and plenty of people turned out to support which was nice. It was 20+ degrees though which was tough.

Key piece of advice - eat a good few hours before the race and definitely, definitely take a good shit (or 2) before the race. Anything significant will try and find it's way out.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Haha 2

On 29/04/2019 at 15:08, Xen said:

Just as well, too, seeing as I've got 4 races in the next 5 weeks, including a half on the 12th lol

Those races off to a good start... pulled out the first one after coming down with a fever last Friday. I'm better (mostly) now, but not sure I'll be able to 'race' at Bosworth half, might just practice pacing and aim for as close to 2hrs with even splits as I can. Who knows.

Picked out my marathon plan - 18 weeks to build up to the full distance is intimidating at first but should make the actual race a bit less so. Decided to add a couple weeks leeway for holidays and in case life gets in the way, and working backwards that means I'm starting marathon training... in 7 days. Suddenly feels very real :sweating:lol 

• Like 1

I'm doing my first ever half marathon on Sunday morning. :scarf:

My wife has done ninety twelve marathons and ultras and whatever, and she'll be running it with me.  What for her will be a bit of a jog will for me be the run of my life 

Having trained by running on roads, with earphones in, pacing myself, I'm a bit gutted to find out this week that earphones are banned on Sunday for reasons of 'health and safety', and anyone caught running with earphones will be DQ'd. :mad:

When I train, I consider myself an observant runner who gives way to others whilst wearing earphones.  I've never had any problem or incident. 

Assuming that I can't use a bleddy road properly because I'm listening to "Now Dance 91" or whatever, seems a bit of a stretch. 

Having worked up to do a few 10 milers, I'm reasonably confident I can manage the distance, but doing the whole thing in silence (or maybe having to talk to the wife. :ph34r:) will be more of a killer than the run. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Two hours twenty.   :scarf:

I struggled towards the end, but I did not stop running, for fear I wouldn’t start again.

I’m not going to lie, it was a bit emotional at the end, as I used to weigh 4 and a bit stones more than I do just now, and my ankles used to melt every time I got past about 9km, so I never thought I could ever, ever do a half marathon.

I am now a little bit broken.  

How on earth do people run run full marathons and more?  I can see how it killed Pheidipeddes.

We are having doner kebab for tea this evening and I may have a sip or two of beer.  :beer:

Congrats, the feeling of crossing the finishing line on your first is always such a great feeling.

As for full marathons - I used to think the same but it's more mental than physical. Sometimes I'll do a Parkrun and want that 3rd mile to be over already and sometimes I'll run 15 and be perfectly fine. If the running bug continues you might just find yourself on a marathon start line.. :ph34r:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I struggled towards the end, but I did not stop running, for fear I wouldn’t start again.

I’m not going to lie, it was a bit emotional at the end, as I used to weigh 4 and a bit stones more than I do just now, and my ankles used to melt every time I got past about 9km, so I never thought I could ever, ever do a half marathon.

How on earth do people run run full marathons and more?  I can see how it killed Pheidipeddes.

We are having doner kebab for tea this evening and I may have a sip or two of beer.  :beer:

Ace work ??

Today was my 8th official half marathon in 13 months and was by far the most challenging thanks to the weather and the wonderful ‘undulating’ Leicestershire countryside!

Never say never to a full. I’ve done two (one badly) in the past year and taking on the Leicester marathon in October making 2 in 6 months! 18 months ago I was 4 stone over weight and couldn’t run a non stop 5k but now run an average of 20 miles a week for fun. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Nice one!

Give it a few days and you'll be itching to do another ;) I remember having the same thought after my first HM about this time last year, and now I'm about to start my first marathon training cycle...

I was meant to run Bosworth HM yesterday. Ended up not bothering as I've barely ran the last month. Second race I've missed now, so really need to get back in the habit.

• Like 1