Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

Don't think i've managed Leicester since our first season back in the Prem. But yeah its that and building fallen 'giants' back up again. Dinamo Moscow relegated a few years ago, same with Rapid Bucharest but they are now gone completely. CSKA sofia would have been good a few years ago but they're now back in the top tier. Dnipro is an obvious one on this game sat in the Ukrainian 3rd division.

FH in Iceland was great and the Icelandic season is still the best thing i've came across. Much like my club now its a massive challenge to get a club of that size into Europe and when you do it sees to your finances for a good 2 or 3 years. Would still like to find a club in a Sweden/Norway/Belarus with the Apr-Nov season. Helsingborg might be a good shout, read good things about them and they're now in the 2nd division.

To be fair Leicester is never going to be the same level as fun on FM anymore.... 'Leicester win League again...' doesn't sound as good lol 

I beat Young Boys in the last qualifying round to reach the group stages lol Shakhtar, Fiorentina and Gent in my group. Drew home to Gent and lost 2-1 at Fiorentina. Top of the league after 8 games, Basel seem to have lost their touch at the top and is a lot more even.

I made a sub earlier, the game played with cancel pending changes still at the top yet my subs were made, and he happened to score (first touch on debut). I was then given the option to cancel the changes i'd made, I would have loved to said yes and see what happened but I clicked yes before I thought about it lol

Also near enough every match I have the available team talk line that the media are on our backs and we should aim to prove them wrong.. i've had this in my entire time here and at no point after the first season have I have any media pressure etc. Anybody else noticed this?

Edited by Walkers

On 2/7/2018 at 16:03, Walkers said:

Also near enough every match I have the available team talk line that the media are on our backs and we should aim to prove them wrong.. i've had this in my entire time here and at no point after the first season have I have any media pressure etc. Anybody else noticed this?

Yep, i get that all the time. Even before my first game in a higher div after being promoted, when the media seem to have been praising us for ages!

Not sure it matters though - there seems to be no correlation between the pre-match team talk and performance. Almost the opposite in fact; i often find that when the players react well they play shit. Typical FM, you almost have to think counter-intuitively at times.

That said, an aggressive half-time kick up the arse can really work.

4 hours ago, Far Post Gerry said:

Yep, i get that all the time. Even before my first game in a higher div after being promoted, when the media seem to have been praising us for ages!

Not sure it matters though - there seems to be no correlation between the pre-match team talk and performance. Almost the opposite in fact; i often find that when the players react well they play shit. Typical FM, you almost have to think counter-intuitively at times.

That said, an aggressive half-time kick up the arse can really work.

Yeah the prove the media wrong thing is pretty effective, the players like it anyway. If you're being battered being aggressive works about 10% of the time. If you're well on top but somehow losing encouraging them works pretty well. Can't say i've ever understood why telling them not to be complacent at 2-0 when dominating sometimes doesn't go down well with players either. Does anybody do those mid-match team talks? I got into them a few years ago but can't say i've ever noticed them make a difference? I used to just encourage every 10mins until/unless the game called for something else to be said. These days I usually just use demand more/get creative or when winning late on just tighten up or concentrate. Last few weeks i've learnt to stay quiet when on top so they don't get confused.

I make my team talks entirely performance based unless it truly is a disaster scenario where I've outplayed a side who are utter rubbish and we've lost.

I'm Shrewsbury, we were out of form and were away at high flying Fleetwood. 0-0 at half time but we've been the better side for sure and I tell them I'm happy with the performance. I go on and win 0-3.

On the flip side I've also criticised performances where we're winning. Unless it's early days for me at the club it tends to work. I wonder if there's anything in the algebra that effectively raises their standard when I do that.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Walkers said:

Yeah the prove the media wrong thing is pretty effective, the players like it anyway. If you're being battered being aggressive works about 10% of the time. If you're well on top but somehow losing encouraging them works pretty well. Can't say i've ever understood why telling them not to be complacent at 2-0 when dominating sometimes doesn't go down well with players either. Does anybody do those mid-match team talks? I got into them a few years ago but can't say i've ever noticed them make a difference? I used to just encourage every 10mins until/unless the game called for something else to be said. These days I usually just use demand more/get creative or when winning late on just tighten up or concentrate. Last few weeks i've learnt to stay quiet when on top so they don't get confused.

I haven't noticed the touchline shouts having much impact. Sometimes the opposite - if i tell players to concentrate with 10 mins to go, they always seem to concede!

Now i just stick it on defend for the last 5 mins (if only ahead by 1 goal) or overload if behind, which seems to work better. 

8 minutes ago, Des. said:

My first season with Leicester went pretty well...

b8x05j.jpg
k0o6pz.jpg
1t50dk.jpg

Nice work, not a surprise you're conceding so many playing 4-4-2 but at least you're scoring loads too!

It's amazing how biased to Arsenal the AI is, I lose count of the amount of times they win the league lol

I'm in 2024 and Wenger is still in Charge!!!!

*edit: So many goals compared to the top four ;) Pretty decent really

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Nice work, not a surprise you're conceding so many playing 4-4-2 but at least you're scoring loads too!

It's amazing how biased to Arsenal the AI is, I lose count of the amount of times they win the league lol

This was my formation

2ccvui0.jpg

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

BRAVE! Like it though.

What sort of budget/targets you going for?

These are my signings for the upcoming season, the board want me to push for a Europa League spot again and try reach the latter stages in the cups. I am pushing for a top 10 finish again which is realistic and not too overwhelming for the players to believe in.

20rs7iq.jpg

5 minutes ago, Des. said:

These are my signings for the upcoming season, the board want me to push for a Europa League spot again and try reach the latter stages in the cups. I am pushing for a top 10 finish again which is realistic and not too overwhelming for the players to believe in.

20rs7iq.jpg

Nice :) No right back?

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Nice :) No right back?

I signed a potentially world class in my first season but he is still on the younger/less experienced side. Amartey has been my cover for when Simpson plays poorly or gets injured.

11jyrye.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

*edit: So many goals compared to the top four ;) Pretty decent really

You can tell Arsenal fans have done the stats in their side. The likes of Coquelin, Mustafi, Monreal etc... all good enough to play at the top lol 

F2E353475457E9F4A39F9A08FD328FD7CE71AFBA

Well.... Basel completely fell apart this season although I still haven't beaten them in 3 years in this division. I was offered the Thun, St Gallen, Young Boys and Basel jobs. I accidentally qualified for the Europa League knockout rounds despite having only 1pt from my first 3 games. Beat Sporting Lisbon in the first round and was then knocked out losing 2-1 on agg against Dortmund. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Made a lot of money this season, 7m balance but only a 2m transfer budget with 30k left on the wage budget. Starting to think maybe I wanna move to another country.. I have Germany open on here, a lot of good sides to choose from.

oh and i won the league loool

Edited by Walkers
  • Like 1

@Walkers

Do you find that managing in foreign leagues make you realise how good the English cup competition setup is (or was), especially for lower league clubs. 

Every other league i’ve managed in, the cup feels like an after thought competition, where as especially lower down in the English pyramid, the FA Cup and FA Trophy is everything to sides. 

9 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

@Walkers

Do you find that managing in foreign leagues make you realise how good the English cup competition setup is (or was), especially for lower league clubs. 

Every other league i’ve managed in, the cup feels like an after thought competition, where as especially lower down in the English pyramid, the FA Cup and FA Trophy is everything to sides. 

Yeah both are true. Not sure how financially rewarding the league cup is but its still overcrowding the English schedule a bit

Bit confused. Liechtenstein, which I didn't even think was part of this list, is now ranked 13th and ahead of Switzerland in the national club coefficients. It changes nothing as to who and how many qualifies to what and where and when, though.

My reward for this is having to qualify for the Europa League right from the very first qualifying round... wtf!? lol I haven't had to enter at this stage since the 2nd season.

Edited by Walkers

Observations in March of my first season with Milan.

• Juventus are outrageously good, only failed to win 3 of their opening 32 matches
  • Despite making a net profit of £9m on transfers, I've hemorrhaged money, am now £30m in the red. Luckily there are an army of players out on loan who will help balance the books when they're sold.
  • Milan have some decent prospects coming through. Donnaruma, Cutrone, Calabria and Locatelli to name the obvious ones all in the first team already. Youth intake was pants though.

3 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Observations in March of my first season with Milan.

• Juventus are outrageously good, only failed to win 3 of their opening 32 matches
  • Despite making a net profit of £9m on transfers, I've hemorrhaged money, am now £30m in the red. Luckily there are an army of players out on loan who will help balance the books when they're sold.
  • Milan have some decent prospects coming through. Donnaruma, Cutrone, Calabria and Locatelli to name the obvious ones all in the first team already. Youth intake was pants though.

Try playing as barca.

In theory they should be brilliant but the AI has a nightmare with them and not many users seem to get them going

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but what is this shit.

I'm drawing 2-2 away at Oxford, 90th minute and everything is defensive as possible. Both full backs on 'defensive full backs' yet my left full back steams forward overlapping my winger, we lose the ball, Oxford break and score because they've got a man over. Why would this happen. A defensive full back would not do that in real life. No. Not having it.

38 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but what is this shit.

I'm drawing 2-2 away at Oxford, 90th minute and everything is defensive as possible. Both full backs on 'defensive full backs' yet my left full back steams forward overlapping my winger, we lose the ball, Oxford break and score because they've got a man over. Why would this happen. A defensive full back would not do that in real life. No. Not having it.

Because footballers don't do what their managers tell them to do 100%. Does he have any player traits? How do you think Puel feels every time Chilwell does some ADHD defending?

26 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Because footballers don't do what their managers tell them to do 100%. Does he have any player traits? How do you think Puel feels every time Chilwell does some ADHD defending?

Yeah it proper pissed me off when I posted but I've calmed now.

It was ridiculous though lol Consider I'm bottom of League One, points a very precious, what a stupid goal to concede. 

• Like 1