Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

Caved and got 18 this week. 

Signed Wasyl on a free for Dusseldorf. Telling him off for not pulling his weight in training, probably the scariest thing I've ever done in FM. 

Imagined him just leaping through the laptop at me in blind rage. 

I survived. 

Oh and Cedric Teuchart smashing the league. Gwon lad. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AjcW said:

Bit odd.... got a player on Loan from Man City and it appears he has just played in an U23 game for them lol

It was an international break :dunno:

5a9883db2921a_ScreenShot2018-03-01at22_28_02.png.9c0ee431b90dba2c58bbdd74b8e853e9.png

There is an option when signing/letting someone go out on loan that they can play for the parent club U23's

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

For **** sakes man download some graphics.

lol what???

43 minutes ago, Craig said:

There is an option when signing/letting someone go out on loan that they can play for the parent club U23's

Ahh righto! Cheers, musn't have seen that... got a nice two year loan on him anyway. It's never been an issue before but he's come back not fit enough to start after the international break because he played 3 U21 games!! lol 

On 02/03/2018 at 16:07, AjcW said:

lol what???

Ahh righto! Cheers, musn't have seen that... got a nice two year loan on him anyway. It's never been an issue before but he's come back not fit enough to start after the international break because he played 3 U21 games!! lol 

lol I can't play FM without skins and facepacks and logos and everything. 

When I used to have pes I'd spend hours making all the players and teams official etc. 

Rustlers me jimmies. I'm sad. 

• Like 1

The badges and real name fixes are the only things I bother with, don't know why. I already run the game on a slow (for FM anyway) macbook so maybe incorrectly I've always thought it'd slow down further

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

The badges and real name fixes are the only things I bother with, don't know why. I already run the game on a slow (for FM anyway) macbook so maybe incorrectly I've always thought it'd slow down further

Narh facepacks won't ruin your performance. 

Your pc holds a load of images, each player on the game has a unique ID. There's an interface file stored in the facepack folder and everytime you load a profile or score a goal or create a news item, the game checks the file and calls the relevant image for the id. 

That's a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of processing power. It's also doing it even if there isn't an image to call anyway. 

I mean you might need a few gig hard drive space if you're holding 20k png files but other than that... 

Tbh the logos probably cause more of a performance hit and even then it's miniscule. 

The real data strain is just literally having so many players. It's a database of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of records. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Narh facepacks won't ruin your performance. 

Your pc holds a load of images, each player on the game has a unique ID. There's an interface file stored in the facepack folder and everytime you load a profile or score a goal or create a news item, the game checks the file and calls the relevant image for the id. 

That's a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of processing power. It's also doing it even if there isn't an image to call anyway. 

I mean you might need a few gig hard drive space if you're holding 20k png files but other than that... 

Tbh the logos probably cause more of a performance hit and even then it's miniscule. 

The real data strain is just literally having so many players. It's a database of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of records. 

Ah sound.

I don't think it's compatible with existing saves though is it?

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

Ah sound.

I don't think it's compatible with existing saves though is it?

Of course it is. 

Any skin or graphic related stuff happens immediately, with a small caveat. 

You have to reload the skin in the interface preferences and make sure you Un-tick the cacheing. Sometimes you may have to press the clear cache button. 

The cache is like a pile of checks the game has already done. 

Let's say you don't have a Jamie Vardy face, it checks the first time, doesn't find an image to call and so makes sense note not to bother in future. You need to stop it cacheing and clear the cache so it starts checking again. 

It's very easy and very quick though. 

I quite frequently make new faces whilst actually playing FM, edit the config files while the game is running, reload the skin and get them in. It's all very current. 

It's not like a mod, your save game doesn't store any image data. If you load up the same save on a PC that doesn't have your folder full of graphics then the save still works but you won't see any logos or pictures. They're just either there or not. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 20:25, Finnegan said:

lol I can't play FM without skins and facepacks and logos and everything. 

When I used to have pes I'd spend hours making all the players and teams official etc. 

Rustlers me jimmies. I'm sad. 

Ahh right, yep don't worry i'd be the same, however as someone with a creative job I often have a ridiculous amount of Adobe products open/installed and any additions to FM would probably break my Macbook lol 

38 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Ahh right, yep don't worry i'd be the same, however as someone with a creative job I often have a ridiculous amount of Adobe products open/installed and any additions to FM would probably break my Macbook lol 

See replies to Wookie above. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

See replies to Wookie above. 

Ahh nice!

What's the best place to find this stuff now? Don't think i've done any downloads since about FM10

Finally managed to get into a save on this with Leicester. Had an phenomenal first season (admittedly using a downloaded tactic) and eventually won the Premier League after a titanic struggle with Arsenal - the closest two horse race in history I think. It was neck and neck all season but I managed to win at the Emirates in the penultimate game. Arsenal, incredibly got 96 points but still finished in second place, a point behind me!

The tactic is a 4-3-3 with no wingers, so was able to cash in on all my wide players (Mahrez, Gray, Albrighton, Musa) which gave me a nice tidy transfer budget!

On 3/7/2018 at 07:40, stripeyfox said:

Finally managed to get into a save on this with Leicester. Had an phenomenal first season (admittedly using a downloaded tactic) and eventually won the Premier League after a titanic struggle with Arsenal - the closest two horse race in history I think. It was neck and neck all season but I managed to win at the Emirates in the penultimate game. Arsenal, incredibly got 96 points but still finished in second place, a point behind me!

The tactic is a 4-3-3 with no wingers, so was able to cash in on all my wide players (Mahrez, Gray, Albrighton, Musa) which gave me a nice tidy transfer budget!

I don't get it when people  say they do this. Regardless of your tactic working, what if you want to play with width one game? 

40 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I don't get it when people  say they do this. Regardless of your tactic working, what if you want to play with width one game? 

I've sold all my wingers before and played 5-3-2 but I wouldn't do it in a million years on a 4-3-3. Terrifying, if it doesn't work you're screwed lol 

42 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

In the ideal world I'd play the game properly, but the reality is I don't get much time to play so having a base tactic which "works" helps me enjoy the game in the spells I can play. If that tactic works most of the time and I don't use the wingers there's no point keeping them around, paying their wages and have them moaning about not getting in the team. I've still got or buy players who can play out wide as well as a central position, but the out and out wingers who can only play in the wide position are surplus.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I play a "narrow" (the game's words not mine) 4312 that's very wide, have the biggest pitch I can have for extra space. 

I've played a similar system the last three years with slight changes to the front three each time. 

2016: 433 with 3cms, a DLFsup and two AFatt. 

2017: 4312 with 3cms, lcam shadow striker, rstr DLFsup lstr AFatt. 

2018: 4312 with 3cms, an advanced playmaker support, two AFatts. 

In every iteration, the advanced forwards move in to channels and provide width much like Jamie Vardy does for us. When one goes wide, the other gets in the box for a cross as does the deeper attacker. 

Additionally, I have one full back on support and the other on attack. Full backs have been the best crossing assisters in the last three versions. They're phenomenal.

Prior to 2015 I'd never play a full back with less than 15 tackling in the top flight unless he was teenage and I'd never keep them go forward, there'd always be wingers ahead of them. Now I won't have a full back without at least 14/15 crossing and stamina and sod tackling tbh. 

I haven't used an ml, mr, aml or amr for years in football manager but I'd always describe my tactics as expansive, attacking and creating a LOT of CCCs from crosses. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

Late to the party, but I bought this last night. Last edition I had was 16.

I'm a sore loser and do not usually have much patience, so normally play as a big team and just focus on signing big potential players and get into a habit of rage quitting if I underperform.

On this though, I've started unemployed as an ex Sunday league player and for a job at Bognor Regis. First game, was 3-2 up, down to 10 men and the opposing team equalised in the 95th from a direct free kick. I composed myself and lost the next two games 2-1 and 5-2. 

Had a team meeting to boost morale and won the next 3 games,  2-0, 4-0 and 1-0. Lingering around the play offs. 

Hoping I can keep at it, not bothered about making a legacy with the same club, but to try and develop and get better offers

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 14:39, Finnegan said:

I play a "narrow" (the game's words not mine) 4312 that's very wide, have the biggest pitch I can have for extra space. 

I've played a similar system the last three years with slight changes to the front three each time. 

2016: 433 with 3cms, a DLFsup and two AFatt. 

2017: 4312 with 3cms, lcam shadow striker, rstr DLFsup lstr AFatt. 

2018: 4312 with 3cms, an advanced playmaker support, two AFatts. 

In every iteration, the advanced forwards move in to channels and provide width much like Jamie Vardy does for us. When one goes wide, the other gets in the box for a cross as does the deeper attacker. 

Additionally, I have one full back on support and the other on attack. Full backs have been the best crossing assisters in the last three versions. They're phenomenal.

Prior to 2015 I'd never play a full back with less than 15 tackling in the top flight unless he was teenage and I'd never keep them go forward, there'd always be wingers ahead of them. Now I won't have a full back without at least 14/15 crossing and stamina and sod tackling tbh. 

I haven't used an ml, mr, aml or amr for years in football manager but I'd always describe my tactics as expansive, attacking and creating a LOT of CCCs from crosses. 

Out of interest, what instructions do you use? I've tried similar (433 with attacking fullbacks) and used "look for overlap" and "hit early crosses". But in can't seem to get it to work.