Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

On 1/19/2018 at 15:33, Walkers said:

Not hard to get/get offered international jobs on recent FM's is it. Been offered the Switzerland job

yep I'm still playing 17 but got Forest Green promoted to League 2 and had a decent start, offered the Burton job and just keep them in the championship on goal difference then got the Serbia job off the back of it... ranked 15th in the world

One thing that really needs to be fixed is finances.

Boards panic more than they would IRL. My Leicester balance, as with any PL team in 2022 is -20m at the minute, in January, but that's normal, the money comes in at the end of the season through prize money to take the balance back to + and then is topped up with TV and Sponsor money.

I've just had my transfer budget and wage budget descimated because the board are worried about finances lol

Pisses me off.

I've somehow never been in the red at Vaduz. I lose about 2m a year but progressing in the Europa League qualifiers and the tiny bit of prize money from the Swiss 2nd tier kinda covered that. Finished 5th in my first season in the Super League behind the obvious Basel/Young Boys and then the next level of Sion and Grasshoppers. That saw me receive a nice 1.8m I think it was. From what I understood about the sponsorships email we'll get a lot more this season from a change of shirt sponsor. The one time I got into the Europa League group stages it made me about an extra 3 or 4 million so that would be handy right now especially as we have new training facilities being built costing 1.8m. I've been seeded for the first time in the 3rd quali draw so thats good, i'll be playing Djurgardens of Sweden so that should be comfortable. I'm a long way from being seeded for the final quali round though so I just need some luck with the draw.

Turkes took the league by storm last season scoring 19 goals but still hasn't been called up for Liechtenstein yet. Huser proved to be a good signing on a free last season. Signed Lakatos having had him shortlisted/scouted for the past 8 months. I couldn't see much of his stats but it turns out it only showed the very good ones, i'm a little bit underwhelmed with what I see now lol His mental is good though for where he plays. He was wanted by Hertha Berlin so he should be good enough. Maxy Dorfer is always improving. Signed Ajeti on a free from Basel making him my highest paid player. My wage budget increased by about 30k in the summer, I've never been a fan of giving one player a fair bit more than anyone else is earning (about 1.5k more) I noticed his contract was running out at Basel and he was on 11k, i'm surprised he wanted as little as he did because usually the game is retarded and the players demands go the other way. With that though I have a bit too much quality upfront now (see Garcia) given I usually only play one up top. Two of the four I have can play CAM though.

CE425452DE57704FD7BAD866BF749AD95BFC90EF

990E26F86A211415032CA03E76867DEA52C1BE78

2A236AB994B34B8676FA6D87401E732B88008A91

4EC8DE55C7CDCDE6E8D24B810F0B29AD1A8DE089

506DF28F267A3D1B1189F864215105A23F9E658B

CDCFAE220F4A32BDDA2B5750B29BA7D0FD1C75F2

Edited by Walkers

Why are barcelona programmed to be absolutely rubbish in the game?

I mean, they are total garbage.

Its Barcelona......i really dont understand.

The AI does terrible with them, people on youtube cant seem to get them going. Sometimes they finish 6th or 7th.....i mean come on

Whats the deal with this?

12 minutes ago, Donut said:

Why are barcelona programmed to be absolutely rubbish in the game?

I mean, they are total garbage.

Its Barcelona......i really dont understand.

The AI does terrible with them, people on youtube cant seem to get them going. Sometimes they finish 6th or 7th.....i mean come on

Whats the deal with this?

AI Managers probably always play on control/attacking very fluid so they end up being too aggressive whereas in real life they'd probably be standard/very fluid. Mentality setting is essentially just risk, Barca's play isn't that aggressive with the ball.

7 hours ago, Wookie said:

AI Managers probably always play on control/attacking very fluid so they end up being too aggressive whereas in real life they'd probably be standard/very fluid. Mentality setting is essentially just risk, Barca's play isn't that aggressive with the ball.

Human managers also totally flop with them.

Load them up and try them for a bit, they are absolutely hideous on the game, honestly.

All the south americans are permanently injured for one, away from home they ship goals like you wouldnt believe too

On 1/28/2018 at 14:15, AjcW said:

One thing that really needs to be fixed is finances.

Boards panic more than they would IRL. My Leicester balance, as with any PL team in 2022 is -20m at the minute, in January, but that's normal, the money comes in at the end of the season through prize money to take the balance back to + and then is topped up with TV and Sponsor money.

I've just had my transfer budget and wage budget descimated because the board are worried about finances lol

Pisses me off.

One thing I've always done on every FM is have clubs running with a + balance. I'm tight in real life and I think it reflects on my games. I won't pay over odds for players or give them stupid wages - if they ask for too much they aren't getting it. 

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

One thing I've always done on every FM is have clubs running with a + balance. I'm tight in real life and I think it reflects on my games. I won't pay over odds for players or give them stupid wages - if they ask for too much they aren't getting it. 

I like to try and be that way at the start, it just gets so difficult in 2022 onwards when almost everyone in the PL squad is on 60K+ and new signings mostly demand that as a minimum. 

It's especially at Leicester where they still haven't expanded the stadium lol 

Hope this isnt offensive but why do people choose to manage irrelevant pissnut teams like vaduz?

Its just boring seeing a squad of neverbeens and regens.

Why not pick a proper team with proper objectives?

9 hours ago, AjcW said:

That is an impressive amount of draws Walkers! 

Score draws or? Can't work it out based on your goal difference lol 

Just counted five 0-0's. It was a record amount of draws so I kept being reminded towards the end of the season

For anyone interested in this sort of shite I did a story on fm base about my 6 years so far

here

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Donut said:

Hope this isnt offensive but why do people choose to manage irrelevant pissnut teams like vaduz?

Its just boring seeing a squad of neverbeens and regens.

Why not pick a proper team with proper objectives?

because some people enjoy the challenge of a smaller team?

lol just seen that

For me part of it is realism. You say its boring but where is the thrill in a random 20 something English bloke taking charge of Barcelona and winning the Champions League within a season or two? Job done already. It's not really a big deal but I like starting as lesser sides because as I said above I don't think its realistic for some unknown guy putting Mourinho or Guardiola out of a job. Which also means I set the manager attributes at the start to suitable for the level of club i'm about to be. Again i'd find no excitement in making yourself as good as you can be before you've even managed anybody. Without wanting to drum on about it Vaduz isn't just your typical lower league foriegn club, as they get European football to some extent every season. It's unique. I've played FM long enough to have got bored with English leagues. I'm not good enough/don't cheat well enough to be able to take a Conference North side to the Champions League final within 10 years. The schedules in lesser European countries are also really nice with fat winter breaks, less games. End of the day I enjoy legacy saves and the best way to do that is start off at a lower profile club, unless of course you prefer to jump straight in at Barcelona and win everything for 25 years on the trot. I spent 20 years at Sparta Prague on FM13 before moving to Chelsea, finished 2nd first season and won a cup. Got sacked a few games into the next season after a poor start, **** that. Don't think i've managed in England since actually. I probably have more time/patience than most, i'm at a level with Vaduz now where it's easier to spend time looking through average/poor national sides and trying to spot cheap/out of contract stars. Very time consuming considering the success rate but it can be worth it.

I don't see whats boring about the players/regens really. Not trying to be offensive back but does that mean you can only work with world class players and/or with an unlimited amount of money to spend? lol The best type of player IMO is one who comes through you academy with 5 star potential. I was at a level in the Swiss 2nd tier where I could play my really good one because he wasn't out of place.

So what is a proper team and a proper objective?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walkers said:

lol just seen that

For me part of it is realism. You say its boring but where is the thrill in a random 20 something English bloke taking charge of Barcelona and winning the Champions League within a season or two? Job done already. It's not really a big deal but I like starting as lesser sides because as I said above I don't think its realistic for some unknown guy putting Mourinho or Guardiola out of a job. Which also means I set the manager attributes at the start to suitable for the level of club i'm about to be. Again i'd find no excitement in making yourself as good as you can be before you've even managed anybody. Without wanting to drum on about it Vaduz isn't just your typical lower league foriegn club, as they get European football to some extent every season. It's unique. I've played FM long enough to have got bored with English leagues. I'm not good enough/don't cheat well enough to be able to take a Conference North side to the Champions League final within 10 years. The schedules in lesser European countries are also really nice with fat winter breaks, less games. End of the day I enjoy legacy saves and the best way to do that is start off at a lower profile club, unless of course you prefer to jump straight in at Barcelona and win everything for 25 years on the trot. I spent 20 years at Sparta Prague on FM13 before moving to Chelsea, finished 2nd first season and won a cup. Got sacked a few games into the next season after a poor start, **** that. Don't think i've managed in England since actually. I probably have more time/patience than most, i'm at a level with Vaduz now where it's easier to spend time looking through average/poor national sides and trying to spot cheap/out of contract stars. Very time consuming considering the success rate but it can be worth it.

I don't see whats boring about the players/regens really. Not trying to be offensive back but does that mean you can only work with world class players and/or with an unlimited amount of money to spend? lol The best type of player IMO is one who comes through you academy with 5 star potential. I was at a level in the Swiss 2nd tier where I could play my really good one because he wasn't out of place.

Somebody like barnet if you want a challenge but you know the leagues and players.

I shouldnt have posted in the first place but just seems such a waste but we agree to disagree

On 2/5/2018 at 13:40, Fox92 said:

I'm very much like this lol Why blow your entire transfer budget on one player, or have an entire team on 1-3k pw (sorry i'm just used to irrelevant club budgets) and then put one guy alone on 7k. There is a guy right now actually on my game out of contract in the Czech Republic, looks brilliant but wants 8k. He's currently on £600 pw.. he'd easily be my highest paid player and I can afford him too. He wouldn't necassarily jump straight into my team either. So I said no. I've just had to sell a striker with great potential because he doesn't get in my team often enough, a year before his contract runs out. I'm not made of money, I don't see him changing his mind and wanting to sign a new contract. I sold him to the German 2nd division for a slightly cheaper price (650k) than some Swiss teams were offering him because I don't want him coming back haunt me. I can get by without him. And now i'm 650k better off than I would have been, and also a decent chunk has came off my wage bill. Good business IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Donut said:

Somebody like barnet if you want a challenge but you know the leagues and players.

I shouldnt have posted in the first place but just seems such a waste but we agree to disagree

What would the objective be with Barnet?

I don't really see how Vaduz are any more irrelevant than Barnet when it comes to 'proper' objectives lol

Edited by Walkers

18 minutes ago, Walkers said:

What would the objective be with Barnet?

I don't really see how Vaduz are any more irrelevant than Barnet when it comes to 'proper' objectives lol

Progression up the leagues.

Switzerland is irrelevant. Oh i won the swiss league. I won the indian league. I won the  peruvian league. Who cares.

Surely the whole point of what is (mostly) a solitary game with 1000 gazillion teams in it is that it can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. If someone enjoys playing in an "obscure" league then so what? 

I have zero interest in managing any of the "big" clubs. I enjoy the "sleeping giant" objective - say a Forest or Sheffield Weds or a lower league (Conf North/South) team with obscure reputation. Each game has different challenges and objectives and therefore measure of success.

Some people "cheat" by using editors - it really doesn't matter, does it?

9 hours ago, Walkers said:

lol just seen that

Can't vouch for this enough. My two best ever saves were Las Palmas and Sparta Rotterdam, the latter being my favourite ever - a 2nd tier Dutch club picked on the basis of them having a strong academy, 10 years later I've won the Eredivisie twice, produced two Holland internationals (they won the World Cup as well) and made the knock-outs of the Champions League, winning away at Chelsea with a 95th minute winner in the process, all done on a negative net spend overall. I couldn't have got anything like the satisfaction I got from that save by managing a top club from the off. Imagine ripping Ajax to bits with a team you truly have built from next to nothing rather than one you inherited. FM is about building for me and it's why I've gone off managing even Leicester, because we're actually quite a powerful club on the game now relatively.

In short, Donut, I pick irrelevant teams to make them relevant.

(And then manage Juventus when I fail)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Can't vouch for this enough. My two best ever saves were Las Palmas and Sparta Rotterdam, the latter being my favourite ever - a 2nd tier Dutch club picked on the basis of them having a strong academy, 10 years later I've won the Eredivisie twice, produced two Holland internationals (they won the World Cup as well) and made the knock-outs of the Champions League, winning away at Chelsea with a 95th minute winner in the process, all done on a negative net spend overall. I couldn't have got anything like the satisfaction I got from that save by managing a top club from the off. Imagine ripping Ajax to bits with a team you truly have built from next to nothing rather than one you inherited. FM is about building for me and it's why I've gone off managing even Leicester, because we're actually quite a powerful club on the game now relatively.

In short, Donut, I pick irrelevant teams to make them relevant.

(And then manage Juventus when I fail)

Don't think i've managed Leicester since our first season back in the Prem. But yeah its that and building fallen 'giants' back up again. Dinamo Moscow relegated a few years ago, same with Rapid Bucharest but they are now gone completely. CSKA sofia would have been good a few years ago but they're now back in the top tier. Dnipro is an obvious one on this game sat in the Ukrainian 3rd division.

FH in Iceland was great and the Icelandic season is still the best thing i've came across. Much like my club now its a massive challenge to get a club of that size into Europe and when you do it sees to your finances for a good 2 or 3 years. Would still like to find a club in a Sweden/Norway/Belarus with the Apr-Nov season. Helsingborg might be a good shout, read good things about them and they're now in the 2nd division.