Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

18 hours ago, Ozwin said:

Playing on Sunday League rep is a nightmare with the whole dynamics thing. 

That's the point, could you imagine taking training of a team of players without having played or even done your coaching badges? lol

On 24/11/2017 at 14:26, Wookie said:

That's the point, could you imagine taking training of a team of players without having played or even done your coaching badges? lol

I do it for the realism usually but this year it's killer. I don't know how people can play as 'ex professional footballers' or whatever the options are. People are quick to brag about their achievements on it but if you're doing it with the highest experience option then I'm not that impressed really. 

3 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

I do it for the realism usually but this year it's killer. I don't know how people can play as 'ex professional footballers' or whatever the options are. People are quick to brag about their achievements on it but if you're doing it with the highest experience option then I'm not that impressed really. 

I used to feel like that but then I thought it's a ridiculous situation "me" getting the job anyway so it's no more ridiculous pretending I used to play. On my Bochum save my manager is actually Bruno Berner though lol

On 11/23/2017 at 11:14, Lovejoy said:

As someone who is usually a bang average FM player, I agree. Won the title first season with Leicester, got bored so have started with Morecambe. Penniless and a seemingly average League 2 side, I'm top early doors and Nketiah who I've got in on loan from Arsenal has scored seven in his last two as I've beaten Lincoln 6-0 away and Swindon 3-0.

There was a takeover that took place through the autumn, took ages and the new Chairman has made noises about ousting me and replacing me with Gary Holt. Luckily though, despite being "one game from the sack" (top of League 2 with Morecambe) I've survived. Had the rug well and truly pulled from under my feet though in January with two players sold behind my back for £100k and £200k respectively lol. Out of the Checkatrade Trophy to a strong Everton U23 team and narrowly beaten by WHU in the FA Cup 3rd round, the good thing being my threadbare squad only has to focus on the league now. The club leaks money, it's a proper challenge, could see this one lasting years.

I never play as myself. I always choose a random ex-player of the team I start with, making sure they aren't in the game already, and set their reputation accordingly. Hadn't considered the effect it would have on the dynamics thing though...

After a nightmare pre-season, after five games I'm unbeaten at the top of Serie B. I guess it's not as hard as I first thought. 

Still struggling to score goals though.

Got Wolves into Champions League second season in the Prem.

Be an interesting 3rd season, I always seem to falter when I get a promoted team into Europe as the league form plummets... hopefully this time will be different! 

39 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone actually ever had a player score a direct free kick? 

I must've seen about 30 throughout one season, not one went in. All of them bar about two went over the top.

Yep Charlie Mulgrew for my Blackburn team scored one almost every week. I actually thought it was bugged in favour of the amount being scored.

7 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I must've seen about 30 throughout one season, not one went in. All of them bar about two went over the top.

James Tavernier takes a good free kick on my rangers save. Scored maybe 3 so far.

But there are a LOT of other bugs

21 hours ago, RoboFox said:

What they've done is over correct.

In last years game, if there was a highlight and it was a free kick, 9/10 it was a goal... made it all a bit pointless

Now like yourself I don't think I've seen one go in in 3 seasons lol 

On 11/23/2017 at 15:04, peach0000 said:

I've been awful at the last couple of games but have somehow managed to get back to back promotions to the premier league with forest green with no transfer budget. I won league one with 115 points.

After winning League 2 with Morecambe I'm steamrolling League 1 with a pony team. Last two matches were a 7-0 win over Sheff U and 4-1 at Blackburn. Hiram Boateng for £28k from Exeter and Jacob Mellis for £26k from Mansfield is the only cash I've been able to spend. I've got 8 loanees who I pay no wages on in the squad which is a life saver as there is no squad depth. My overall wage bill is £15k per week lol.

There seems to be a number of match engine "exploit" tactics it seems, pretty much of them have 3 central midfielders.

Looking across the FM Tactics forums, very few popular / successful tactics feature wingers or inside forwards, and I must say I'm having trouble getting any results with any formations featuring wingers. Again, maybe they've over counter-balanced the game, as in previous games decent wingers were overpowered. 

Since changing to a 5-3-2 WB formation in the January, my form instantly improved and I managed to finish runner-up in the Serie B with my Parma team, only losing two games in the second half of the season.

33 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

There seems to be a number of match engine "exploit" tactics it seems, pretty much of them have 3 central midfielders.

Looking across the FM Tactics forums, very few popular / successful tactics feature wingers or inside forwards, and I must say I'm having trouble getting any results with any formations featuring wingers. Again, maybe they've over counter-balanced the game, as in previous games decent wingers were overpowered. 

Since changing to a 5-3-2 WB formation in the January, my form instantly improved and I managed to finish runner-up in the Serie B with my Parma team, only losing two games in the second half of the season.

Weirdly, I am having all of my success using wingers in a 4-2-3-1. No joy with inside forwards or three at the back. Can't screenshot my tactics as I'm at work, but individually I play:

GK: Sweeper Keeper

RB: FB Support

LB: FB Support

RCB: BPD

LCB: Covering CB

RCM: Central Midfielder

LCM: DLP

RW: Winger Attack

LW: Winger Attack

CAM: Advanced Playmaker Attack

CF: Advanced Forward

Edited by Lovejoy

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Agree on this

I play 5-3-2 but with a flat back 5 with the wing backs on attacking (so really it looks like wing backs)

Switched to it with Wolves second season in the Prem, rock bottom in November.... finished 4th.

I always have three central midfielders though so i'm pleased i'm 'exploiting' if you like lol 

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Its all about the long through ball this time around.

And goalkeepers spilling crossed over the byline 4 times a game.

16 minutes ago, Donut said:

Its all about the long through ball this time around.

And goalkeepers spilling crossed over the byline 4 times a game.

Agreed. Seems that way.

Although, my new successful tactic is set to "shorter passing" so obviously my midfielders started pinging through balls over the top. Makes no sense.

Goalkeepers are worse this year than ever before. Like you say, spannering piss-rollers over the byline one minute, then making absolutely super-human saves from 3 yard volleys the next.

If anyone's struggling, using these tactics as a starting point will help. I generally don't download tactics as a rule, feels a bit cheaty, but these guys spend a lot of time figuring out how to beat the match engine.

Edited by RoboFox

6 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Agreed. Seems that way.

Although, my new successful tactic is set to "shorter passing" so obviously my midfielders started pinging through balls over the top. Makes no sense.

Goalkeepers are worse this year than ever before. Like you say, spannering piss-rollers over the byline one minute, then making absolutely super-human saves from 3 yard volleys the next.

If anyone's struggling, using these tactics as a starting point will help. I don't download tactics as a rule, feels a bit cheaty, but these guys spend a lot of time figuring out how to beat the match engine.

Ive found a very basic 442 or 4411 works extremely well this time around.

The only new roles that are an improvement to me are segundo volante and inverted winger. No real use for mezzala or carrilero imo.

Two out and out wide players mixed with two basic central midfielders works extremely well at all levels

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

If anyone's struggling, using these tactics as a starting point will help. I generally don't download tactics as a rule, feels a bit cheaty, but these guys spend a lot of time figuring out how to beat the match engine.

That absolutely should not work lol

• Like 2