Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

1 hour ago, Donut said:

Im by no means an expert but a regular player of the game. Currently stockport but managed at all levels.

Your leicester tactic looks unbalanced in quite a few areas. 

What calibre of teams did this work against in pre season?

Not very good to be honest. Two Austrian teams and three South African teams. Four games down in the Prem now. A 4:3 loss at Anfield. 3:1 win against Stoke and 0:0 against Everton in my last game. I play the above formation when I fancy a result and either 4-4-2 0r 4-4-1 on the counter against teams who i think will give me trouble. 

What formations do you recommend?

3 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

Not very good to be honest. Two Austrian teams and three South African teams. Four games down in the Prem now. A 4:3 loss at Anfield. 3:1 win against Stoke and 0:0 against Everton in my last game. I play the above formation when I fancy a result and either 4-4-2 0r 4-4-1 on the counter against teams who i think will give me trouble. 

What formations do you recommend?

Hope my first post didnt sound critical wouldnt want that.

I think first area id look at is the central midfield. Both the BMW and carrillero positions will roam from their position. This could leave you exposed in the middle if both are out of position at the same time.

Ive not managed leicester but i think id set iborra to central midfielder (defend) so he holds his position around the centre circle mostly. He will still get forward if its on (with your team instructions) but link things up and be available for a pass.

Ndidi id set to central midfielder (support) to be a bit more dynamic.

Secondly, your front pairing should see okazaki as shadow striker furthest forward most often and vardy drop back as a defensive forward. This might be what you want.

I think id perhaps make okazaki a defensive forward to use his stamina work rate determination aggression etc, and use vardy as an advanced forward to stretch the backline and turn the opposition towards their own goal.

My personal preference that i think would work too is dropping the wide midfielders and wingbacks back into a natural 4411.

If using mahrez as an inverted winger or inside forward just be careful he doesnt expose your right back. Try and have someone cover this area as he is likely to give the ball away sometimes and be caught upfield.

If using gray as a winger the left back supporting is good so they have a natural gap.

One other personal preference id set maguire to central defender on defend and not ball playing defender. As a ball playing defender he will tend to hit too many long passes that will lead to nothing going forward but put you under pressure.

I wouldnt pay too much attention to the coloured circles. As long as the player has the attributes you want from him to play in the role you want him to perform, he will do well. A lot of players are versatile.

Youre doing ok so far though and make small changes if needed. Regular wholesale ones confuse the players.

Hope it goes well would love to see the progress

• Like 1

On 26/12/2017 at 19:51, Ozwin said:

Right you slags. Give me a good starting save, I like them to be realistic so the lower down they are the better. Preferably not in England though cos I've done that to death. I'm thinking a journeyman type save but don't want to have to load a million leagues to get a job.

Linense in the Spanish b4 div

19 hours ago, Donut said:

I think first area id look at is the central midfield. Both the BMW and carrillero positions will roam from their position. This could leave you exposed in the middle if both are out of position at the same time.

Ive not managed leicester but i think id set iborra to central midfielder (defend) so he holds his position around the centre circle mostly. He will still get forward if its on (with your team instructions) but link things up and be available for a pass.

Secondly, your front pairing should see okazaki as shadow striker furthest forward most often and vardy drop back as a defensive forward. This might be what you want.

I think id perhaps make okazaki a defensive forward to use his stamina work rate determination aggression etc, and use vardy as an advanced forward to stretch the backline and turn the opposition towards their own goal.

My personal preference that i think would work too is dropping the wide midfielders and wingbacks back into a natural 4411.

If using mahrez as an inverted winger or inside forward just be careful he doesnt expose your right back. Try and have someone cover this area as he is likely to give the ball away sometimes and be caught upfield.

If using gray as a winger the left back supporting is good so they have a natural gap.

One other personal preference id set maguire to central defender on defend and not ball playing defender. As a ball playing defender he will tend to hit too many long passes that will lead to nothing going forward but put you under pressure.

I wouldnt pay too much attention to the coloured circles. As long as the player has the attributes you want from him to play in the role you want him to perform, he will do well. A lot of players are versatile.

Youre doing ok so far though and make small changes if needed. Regular wholesale ones confuse the players.

Thanks Donut. This is brilliant!

20 hours ago, Donut said:

A nice story, but I think you are basing all of this too much on real life. 

If anyone is looking for something completely different, start a save with LAFC in the MLS. Now this is literally a build from top to bottom. When you become manger, it' just you, the board and 3 players out on loan with Carlos Vela coming in as a future transfer. You can start the save at different points throughout 2017 and the club's 1st season starts in 2018. Trabsfer budget is around 5 mill. I've not tried it yet as i get confused with all the regulations of the MLS but would love to hear some stories from those that have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, somebum said:

A nice story, but I think you are basing all of this too much on real life. 

Im by no means a guru. Ive learned to overachieve at each club though and create roles that compliment each other.

I know people create 343 with no strikers. I know they play 271 formations and exploit the game.

But you can do well with football logic too

9 minutes ago, Shamomoa said:

ive just started a save with blyth spartans. i need a decent striker an attacking midfielder and maybe a couple of wing backs. any recommendations? 

Im managing stockport county currently and have them in playoffs

I think as Blyth Spartans you will inherit a club that CAN bring some new faces in and youll have good starting squad better than stockport and others possibly excluding the likes of tamworth and salford.

Ryan Meadows should be available in central midfield hes a youngster released by sheffield wednesday on the game consistent performer excellent attacking attributes for that level

Strikers, if you can poach jason oswell from stockport you have a goal machine. Scored for fun in the welsh premier and is lethal at that level.

There are a couple of very promising young strikers at oldham's under 23 team to scout, the names escape me one has a double surname. 

On 12/28/2017 at 21:49, danhaw said:

If anyone is looking for something completely different, start a save with LAFC in the MLS. Now this is literally a build from top to bottom. When you become manger, it' just you, the board and 3 players out on loan with Carlos Vela coming in as a future transfer. You can start the save at different points throughout 2017 and the club's 1st season starts in 2018. Trabsfer budget is around 5 mill. I've not tried it yet as i get confused with all the regulations of the MLS but would love to hear some stories from those that have. 

That has potential!

Are there any good databases about? I'm proper fed up of your basic 'pick a random team and see how you do' save. I want something a bit different. I've found a 7 tier USA database but I'm not sure how good it is as it doesn't have any reviews. I'd love to pick a shit side with amazing youth recruitment but there doesn't seem to be any sides like that. I remember there used to be a low tier side in Belarus that you could pick (Minsk or something?) but I don't think they are around anymore.

I think maybe I need a few years away from FM. I haven't played one properly in about 2 years now, as much as I want to.

Edited by Ozwin

23 hours ago, Ozwin said:

Are there any good databases about? I'm proper fed up of your basic 'pick a random team and see how you do' save. I want something a bit different. I've found a 7 tier USA database but I'm not sure how good it is as it doesn't have any reviews. I'd love to pick a shit side with amazing youth recruitment but there doesn't seem to be any sides like that. I remember there used to be a low tier side in Belarus that you could pick (Minsk or something?) but I don't think they are around anymore.

I think maybe I need a few years away from FM. I haven't played one properly in about 2 years now, as much as I want to.

You could try starting as a lower division "sugar daddy" club like Leiria in the Portugese Championship? Means you can do pretty much whatever you want (i.e. invest in loads of scouts, youth network etc.) and not have to worry about finances as the board will just pump more cash in... It can be fun for a while.

http://www.footballmanagerblog.org/2017/11/football-manager-2018-sugar-daddy-clubs.html

On 1/2/2018 at 17:22, Ozwin said:

I was getting that way myself but started a game as Morecambe and I'm now in my 6th season and loving it. This might sound ridiculous, but having won League 2, 1 and the Champ in my first three seasons, then getting relegated (my first ever on FM) with a squad that on paper was barely Championship quality from the Prem has made me love the game again. I'm finally at a point where I have a good backroom team, the youth and training facilities are decent and most importantly, I have a competitive squad for a second crack at the Prem. I intend to win the Champions League and then do it all over again overseas. TSV 1860 Munich are down to the German fourth tier or Mallorca in the Spanish third tier both sound like belters. Dnipro in the Ukrainian third tier is also a decent left of field shout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

I was getting that way myself but started a game as Morecambe and I'm now in my 6th season and loving it. This might sound ridiculous, but having won League 2, 1 and the Champ in my first three seasons, then getting relegated (my first ever on FM) with a squad that on paper was barely Championship quality from the Prem has made me love the game again. I'm finally at a point where I have a good backroom team, the youth and training facilities are decent and most importantly, I have a competitive squad for a second crack at the Prem. I intend to win the Champions League and then do it all over again overseas. TSV 1860 Munich are down to the German fourth tier or Mallorca in the Spanish third tier both sound like belters. Dnipro in the Ukrainian third tier is also a decent left of field shout.

I have to say, because I'm struggling at times this year, it's actually giving any one save a bit more longevity. Usually I'd just boss it with 2nd or 3rd division team over a few seasons and it would get boring. 

In FM18, I struggle to get results with my Parma team after being finally promoted - they just don't have the finances - so narrowly avoiding relegation from the Serie A I'm finding surprisingly enjoyable. It's pretty cathartic to scrape a couple of 1-0 wins at the end of a season to halt a run of 5 or 6 games being hammered and thus avoid the drop.

First season in vanarama north i finished 2nd in division with stockport county when predicted to finish 16th then BLEW IT in the playoffs v harrogate town 1-0 at Edgeley Park in front of a record vanarama north crowd of over 9,000.

Its made me more determined than ever to get em up this season, with the overall objective of establishing the club in the league.

Weve since gone full time and now have everyone on full time contracts, one of the divisions best coaching teams and some smart signings made.

Gavin Gunning from port vale is captaining the side, Mason Fawns of oldham has bags of potential in centre midfield, and partnering Jason Oswell we have Ashley Nadesan from Fleetwood who scored an absolute hatful for promoted Blyth Spartans last season on loan

First two home games of season 2 over 4,000 have turned up.

The board expects and so do they. We HAVE to deliver.

Edited by Donut

Jumped into the journeyman save I had and joined a team called Mestre in the Italian 4th division. It's brill. I'm skint but all the big sides loan out their youngsters for nothing so I am smashing the finances. Barely any players are mine but I'm in my third season now and the types of players available to me are getting better and better. It's fun!

After becoming slightly bored with my LCFC save, I’ve decided to start over with Genoa.

The club has a good history but with no real recent success, I feel it’s a perfect project.

What I didn’t know was how much dead wood the squad has. I know the Italian teams tend to have larger squads but my goodness, this takes the biscuit. I’ve got numerous players that wouldn’t be fit to grace league one, let alone Série A. I’ve transfer listed 9 players without success so far, I’ve even offered them to clubs for nothing just so I can get there wages off my books but alas, no takers. So I’ve put most of them in the under 20’s and focused my attention to a group of 18/19 I want for the season.

Ive found a hidden gem in Pietro Pellegri who at the tender age of 16, could well be leading my line alongside Gianluca Lapadula who is on loan from Milan. Other notable players are Laxalt, Bertolacci, Veloso and Adel Taraabt. I have a feeling the latter may come back to bite me but everyone starts on an equal slate so here goes! 

On 12/30/2017 at 21:38, Shamomoa said:

ive just started a save with blyth spartans. i need a decent striker an attacking midfielder and maybe a couple of wing backs. any recommendations? 

Inspired by that bollocks FM scout thing where they won the PL with them in about 7 seasons?