Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I won the Prem League and reached the CL semis with Man Utd in my first season.

I mean when the AI controls the team though.

Ive seen lots of instances of big teams struggling. Seen man city finish 14th but man utd seem very dominant.

Also seen napoli finish 9th in serie A, ajax finish 9th in Holland and always lose Dolberg in january

However ive won serie a with juve and napoli but as juve a landslide by 25 points (its not a hard challenge i suppose though)

On 12/12/2017 at 10:18, Donut said:

Anyone else noticing big teams underachieving?

Man City REALLY underachieve.

Ive got an excellent tactic that has dominated everyone as Juve though

12 hours ago, Donut said:

I mean when the AI controls the team though.

Ive seen lots of instances of big teams struggling. Seen man city finish 14th but man utd seem very dominant.

Also seen napoli finish 9th in serie A, ajax finish 9th in Holland and always lose Dolberg in january

However ive won serie a with juve and napoli but as juve a landslide by 25 points (its not a hard challenge i suppose though)

Albeit I'm playing as Morecambe in my third season, but Man City have finished midtable every season. Also worth noting Everton are Championship strugglers and every team relegated seems to struggle, regardless of the division.

All in all I'm quite disappointed with the AI this year.

On 12/2/2017 at 23:17, Fox92 said:

Was going well with Hartlepool, top of the league, now find myself ten points behind first with about 9 games to go lol 

lol Won the league.

Aldershot went 10 points clear and bottled it. Lost about 6 games in a row. Went down to the last day because Eastleigh were a point behind me in second but they lost and I beat Tranmere 3-0 anyway.

Back in the football league.

24 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Limited edition?

That must be the one containing the update that is so desperately needed lol 

It contains, double sided poster, explaining the -  A Beginners Guide on one side, On the other side its an advance side guide that's a bit more in depth.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed larger teams underachieving, to be fair. A few smaller teams over-achieving, though. Pro Vercelli got promoted to the Serie A (they were 1000-1) which was unlikely but not unrealistic (Benevento and SPAL last season.)

The AI is daft in other ways, though; the whole big shout about "realistic transfers" has proven to be largely load of nonsense in my save. PSG have spunked £300m on dross including unknown 30-year-olds from Mexico... and Peter Cech.

Starting my second season with Parma back in the Serie A with a squad full of loanees and ageing pros picked up on a free. Odds on to go straight back down.

On 05/12/2017 at 22:13, somebum said:

crap game so broken 

On 22/11/2017 at 22:35, somebum said:

God what a load of old regurgitated crap. 

On 07/11/2017 at 19:55, somebum said:

Awful, just awful.

Where to start with this trash.

Presentation wise its still an excel document from the 90s. FM has been lost in time for presentation. There is so much text and bollocks on screen My eyes tire by the time im halfway across the screen.

3D match engine is equally laughable.

Gameplay is completely random. Seems to fool fools every year by convincing them its their tactics when in reality it's completely random.

Lost its way 15 years ago, absolute trash this

I would suggest maybe stop playing the game? Sounds like it makes your life miserable. 

When a player "has shown early signs of declining" on the coach report, can this be reversed? Or at least delayed?

Giorgio Chiellini is 34 but has good physicals. Pace 14, stamina 15. Also natural fitness 15 and strength 18.

And still has great defensive attributes like tackling 19, marking 17, positioning 18.

Despite this... he is "showing signs of a total collapse as a player"

He also "could have real problems with injuries"... (as could marchisio and sami khedira)

Is he finished??? 

Edited by Donut

11 hours ago, Donut said:

When a player "has shown early signs of declining" on the coach report, can this be reversed? Or at least delayed?

Giorgio Chiellini is 34 but has good physicals. Pace 14, stamina 15. Also natural fitness 15 and strength 18.

And still has great defensive attributes like tackling 19, marking 17, positioning 18.

Despite this... he is "showing signs of a total collapse as a player"

He also "could have real problems with injuries"... (as could marchisio and sami khedira)

Is he finished??? 

IMO the coach reports, as well as the position / role suitability etc. can be largely ignored. I always go on stats.

In this year's the injuries become a real problem for someone susceptible though (as IRL, I suppose), I've got a couple of older players who stats-wise can still cut it, but can only manage 10-15 games a season. 

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

IMO the coach reports, as well as the position / role suitability etc. can be largely ignored. I always go on stats.

In this year's the injuries become a real problem for someone susceptible though (as IRL, I suppose), I've got a couple of older players who stats-wise can still cut it, but can only manage 10-15 games a season. 

Deffo agree on this, after some great advise on here i've started ignoring a lot of the positional ability traffic lights. Means i've been able to fit more players in to more games and have a happier squad.

Also had some Strikers getting 8's and 9's playing on the wing or as an AMC

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Coach reports are quite useful for hidden attributes, unprofessional players don't develop well, injury proneness, dirtiness etc. The role and duty suitability a is a load of bollocks though.

There is a lot of conflicting info within football manager and it doesnt help the enjoyment of the game.

One its took me a long time to twig is to not use ball playing defenders as they do the total opposite of what (in my head) one would do.

Instead they start launching long hopeful balls when what i want is short passes and a buildup to midfield.

To achieve that i simply choose 2 centre backs on defend both with instructions of fewer risky passes and pass shorter.

Ball playing defender is a sure fire way of not playing short neat build up.

Also.... has anyone had success using a libero?? Id love to utilise one as part of a back 3.... im thinking of someone like david luiz striding forward elegantly for my juve team.

But how do you set a team up to utilise a libero?

On 12/21/2017 at 20:02, Far Post Gerry said:

Just finished my first season with dirty leeds. Second, eight points clear with a handful of games to go, then collapsed. Finished third, lost in the play offs to wolves. Gutted. Amazing how quickly you can go from being sublime to shocking on this game.

That sounds just like Leeds!

On 21/12/2017 at 20:02, Far Post Gerry said:

Just finished my first season with dirty leeds. Second, eight points clear with a handful of games to go, then collapsed. Finished third, lost in the play offs to wolves. Gutted. Amazing how quickly you can go from being sublime to shocking on this game.

I would guess youre squad has low levels of composure generally and their personalities are not suited to handling pressure.

Id look to give more team talks taking the pressure off your players.

I find on this game its very easy to create highly successful tactics for big teams using pass and move buildup with quality players.

However

Ive gone right to the lowest levels and took on stockport county. Theyre useless.

Has anyone here created any successful long ball tactics? This is my intention. I want to experiment with anti football like wimbledon.

Just wondered if anyone has tried to build a dave bassett tony pulis style tactic?

Right you slags. Give me a good starting save, I like them to be realistic so the lower down they are the better. Preferably not in England though cos I've done that to death. I'm thinking a journeyman type save but don't want to have to load a million leagues to get a job.

5 hours ago, Ozwin said:

Right you slags. Give me a good starting save, I like them to be realistic so the lower down they are the better. Preferably not in England though cos I've done that to death. I'm thinking a journeyman type save but don't want to have to load a million leagues to get a job.

Restore parma?

Topple celtic as rangers?

Take portsmouth back to the premier league?

Win in brazil to honour those lost at chapecoense?

Win chammpions league with ostersunds?

Get Dnipro back in the ukraine high league and achieve european qualification?

Just bought the game. I always play as Leicester. I came in and cleared out a lot of the backroom staff. I also forced Matty James, Ulloa, Musa, Amartey and King out of the club. The squad are hurting over the latter especially, but luckily Morgan has given me the benefit of the doubt and stopped an out and out mutiny in terms of squad dynamics.

So far so good. I won all the pre-season games handsomely and just beat Brighton 3:1 at home in the first game.

In past game incarnations I have always cheated by taking over Man City and buying Leicester's worst youth players for ridiculous sums of money. This time I am going legit and seeing how far I get.

Edited by SydenhamFox

2 hours ago, SydenhamFox said:

Here's my squad. I haven't searched the forum for top players and wonder kids. Trying to just use my scouts this time. Possibly a bad idea?

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 19.58.51.png

Im by no means an expert but a regular player of the game. Currently stockport but managed at all levels.

Your leicester tactic looks unbalanced in quite a few areas. 

What calibre of teams did this work against in pre season?