Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

Formula 1 2018

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Pointless? Mercedes got their main title challenger a buffer of a car between him and his nearest rival, and then also ended up by extending his points lead by 10 points instead of 3. Yeah totally pointless.

He'd have had a 43 point gap if they hadn't have switched it, which pretty much guarantees him the title at this stage

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He'd have had a 43 point gap if they hadn't have switched it, which pretty much guarantees him the title at this stage

He's got a 50 instead, so that's even better. It's wasn't pointless, it was worth 7 points.

18 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It is pointless, he's won the title basically, he didn't need an extra 7 point cushion, it's a joke.

A little extra cushion in the bank doesn't hurt though does it. They're just playing it safe.

20 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It is pointless, he's won the title basically, he didn't need an extra 7 point cushion, it's a joke.

I get your point as much as it pains me to say but that is a mindset of a defeatist fan. Mercedes won't be looking at it that way.

8 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I get your point as much as it pains me to say but that is a mindset of a defeatist fan. Mercedes won't be looking at it that way.

Surely Mercedes have enough faith in Hamilton at this stage that he's not going to bottle a 43 point gap in 5 races, I get playing it safe, but I just think it's a sorry state of affairs that team orders are not only being used, but to increase a gap on the championship to 50 points with 5 races to go. At least if it was the other way round and it was Vettel instead,I could at least get the justification of doing it, he needs to make up as much points as possible (not a dig at Hamilton, it wasn't his call). 

I do understand the team order, it was a little overly cautious but I understand it. I've always felt awkward about Ferrari doing it in the past but ultimately it's all about the championship. Still, it absolutely ruins the spectacle of the grand prix. The atmosphere afterwards was completely flat, nobody was celebrating, and you have those awkward exchanges where Hamilton is trying to hand over the trophy to make it better but actually makes it worse. What the fvck do the fans at the track think when the race is over and nobody seems arsed?

It's interesting when you look at the media though, Sky and BBC especially. Their lack of consistency on these things is horrendous.

I know they were technically banned at the time, but I love how on the premise of 'match-fixing', after Hockenheim 2010 Alonso was the biggest **** in the paddock and people were saying Ferrari should be "thrown out of the championship" (watch the press-conference after that, you'd think Alonso had been spraying the crowd with bullets) but yesterday some on Sky were actually saying Hamilton *deserved* the win. If Kimi needs to hand over some points later on, Ferrari will be seen as cvnts again.

There's definitely an issue about what these things do to the sport. Mercedes fixed the result yesterday. "Giving one back" to Bottas will be fixing it again. Does that make it all OK?

In any case, championship over.

Its just another sad episode of a sport I loved as a kid going to complete shit.

All races on Sky next season and big proportion of paid drivers on the grid over drivers who can actually drive are putting me off big time.

I dont see the point in having a young driver programme when realistically only about 3 spots become available per year on the grid with most if not all going to paid drivers. Big teams are just better off cherrypicking other teams' talent too rather than developing their own.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Its just another sad episode of a sport I loved as a kid going to complete shit.

All races on Sky next season and big proportion of paid drivers on the grid over drivers who can actually drive are putting me off big time.

I dont see the point in having a young driver programme when realistically only about 3 spots become available per year on the grid with most if not all going to paid drivers. Big teams are just better off cherrypicking other teams' talent too rather than developing their own.

There have always been pay drivers, Schumacher himself was one initially. It does suck though when you have a team like Williams with two absolute horseshit drivers just to bring in that bit of extra money. 

I think it's worth teams investing in their own youth programme, they just need the conviction to back it and place to put their drivers if not in their own team. Mercedes has been failing in that respect and Ferrari are only just getting Giovinazzi on the grid but it's good that they're giving Leclerc a chance next year.

If Bottas is going to be Hamilton's butler anyway then why isn't Ocon going into that seat? Why wasn't Wehrlein in there this season? If the remit is to collect points but not challenge than either could have done as good a job and then Mercedes would be supporting its own drivers. Obviously Toto is invested in Bottas, but still.

Max has some weird ideas. It's not about him getting back on track as quickly as possible, it's about him doing it safely. And Kimi shouldn't have to hold back to allow him back on after he messed up. The little detour off the track and his dangerous attempt to rejoin cost Kimi a place at the time, and he shouldn't suffer for Max's mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amin said:

What is wrong with Vettel? I like him but he's completely lost his head this year.

I think today was just desperation, knew he needed a miracle and had to take some risks.

Arghhhh such a missed opportunity and so similar to last year and at the same time of the season. It's a shame that the championship is over and we've got four meaningless races now. At least there a lot of driver moves and stuff to make next year interesting.

It is a shame Rosberg did retire, would love to have seen Mercs battle with Ferrari with Rosberg and Hamilton, would probably be more interesting. I do wonder how LeClerc will be treated next year, people always going on about Ferrari and team orders but they haven't really been ruthless this year in comparison to Merc