Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vardinio'sCat

Vardy showing no signs of slowing down, apparently.

Some nice stats comparisons here, though I'm sure we can argue about the conclusions of the article. :thumbup: I'd say suggestions he has lost a yard of pace are somewhat exaggerated, or perhaps those opinions were formed in one of those periods when he has been carrying a knock or slight strain.

For the last 3 seasons, 15/16, 16/17 and 17/18

Goals 24 13 13
Mins per goal 130.8 216 174.2
Chance conversion 26% 31% 36%
Shot accuracy 57% 61.9% 61.1%

Touches per 90 32.5 27.9 24.2
Passes/90 17.92 16.99 12.72
Distance/90 (km) 10.1 10.0 9.8
Ave speed (km/h) 6.3 6.3 6.2
Top speed (km/h) 35.4 35.1 35.1
Sprints/90 54.1 56.7 55.5

https://www.premierleague.com/news/624925

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

He's missing quite a few chances that I'm convinced he would have scored in our trophy winning season.

I think he is maybe getting slightly fewer chances so you notice more when he misses because, statistically, his conversion rate is better than the title winning season.  X

Easily up there with the leagues very top strikers. I couldn't love the bloke more.

Perhaps his slight reduction in speed is more to do with our style of play. Certainly doesn't look as if he's lost a yard. One of my favourite things about Vardy is that it's clear he's still looking to improve his game. His touch has improved immeasurably since he first joined and in the last 2 seasons he's massively improved his all round play. When he comes wide, the balls he puts across are a dream for any striker. If only he could get no the end of his own balls.

What a bloke.

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I know some people baulk at the idea because "you are too young and you never saw Weller play you twat" but given what we have achieved, given his personal story, I think a very strong case can be made to say Vardy is our greatest ever player.  There, I said it.  X

Wouldn't disagree.

• Like 1

I think Vardy has improved since we won the league and is one of the few that have. His all round game is better. We don't supply him as well and he's marked/teams play deeper so he scores fewer goals but as an individual player I think he's still improving. His touch, vision and passing are better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

I know some people baulk at the idea because "you are too young and you never saw Weller play you twat" but given what we have achieved, given his personal story, I think a very strong case can be made to say Vardy is our greatest ever player.  There, I said it.  X

I love Vardy as much as the next man, Rumble, but you have to have a very narrow definition of 'greatness' for that to be true.

If we allow career performance (not just while playing for Leicester), honours won, games played, international caps, comparison with others playing the same position (not just contemporaries but also historically)  then there is not even a debate to be had - Peter Shilton is our greatest ever player.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

He's missing quite a few chances that I'm convinced he would have scored in our trophy winning season.

Those stats would suggest you are quite wrong though, even though I accept all chances are not created equally.

His conversation rate is massively up on the title winning season.

Edit: check out the other Vardy thread which has some very interesting stats.

This season 30% shot conversion rate, 77% ‘big chance’ conversion rate which is the best of any striker in the PL.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

I love Vardy as much as the next man, Rumble, but you have to have a very narrow definition of 'greatness' for that to be true.

If we allow career performance (not just while playing for Leicester), honours won, games played, international caps, comparison with others playing the same position (not just contemporaries but also historically)  then there is not even a debate to be had - Peter Shilton is our greatest ever player.

World Cup winning medal trumps all.

Gordon Banks greatest ever.

Just now, FIF said:

World Cup winning medal trumps all.

Gordon Banks greatest ever.

I don't buy that - was George Cohen the best fullback ever?

On every other measurable parameter, Shilton wins hands down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't buy that - was George Cohen the best fullback ever?

On every other measurable parameter, Shilton wins hands down.

But Banks was no cohen was he?

I feel honoured just to have seen the two play in the flesh.

Back to Vardy - I love him. His story could be one of the greatest. Has the film been shelved?

50 minutes ago, FIF said:

But Banks was no cohen was he?

I feel honoured just to have seen the two play in the flesh.

Back to Vardy - I love him. His story could be one of the greatest. Has the film been shelved?

They can't finish that script until they know whether they have a spectacular ending in Vardy's performance in the world cup :ph34r:

Not that we'll get a satisfying world cup, but f**k me we could do with a bit of success to get some pride back

I'd like to know the impact on our side when Vardy doesn't play versus when Mahrez doesn't. Vardy feels like the most pivotal player to me but no idea if the numbers would back me up on that..

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Now this is just not right, mate. how can he be a bigger Leicester legend if what he's doing is benefiting another team?

For me our biggest serving legend atm is Vardy and he should at least crack the top 5 all time while our best serving player is mahrez. being a better player and being a bigger legend are not the same thing.

1 minute ago, the fox said:

Now this is just not right, mate. how can he be a bigger Leicester legend if what he's doing is benefiting another team?

For me our biggest serving legend atm is Vardy and he should at least crack the top 5 all time while our best serving player is mahrez. being a better player and being a bigger legend are not the same thing.

That's not what Rumble said, though.

He said our greatest ever player, and that depends on how you define it.

• Like 1