Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Player Names

This is a question I've had for a while...why do Non-British players get to choose their shirt names when Brits don't? 

Great example in the Merseyside Derby. Virgil van Dijk's shirt name is Virgil ; his family name is van Dijk. Another great case is Chiquarito - his name is ****ing Javier Hernandez. 

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care if everyone has nicknames or whatever, but don't tell me that Rooney wouldn't go for Wazza. I'm curious if anyone knows the reason for this arbitrary disparity. 

With Hernandez, his Dad was a prominent player in Mexico who was known as "Chicharo" (the pea) because of his eye colour.

As such the Mexican media, and population generally have always known and referred to his son as Chicharito (little pea) so as to be the accepted way to reference him.

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

With Hernandez, his Dad was a prominent player in Mexico who was known as "Chicharo" (the pea) because of his eye colour.

As such the Mexican media, and population generally have always known and referred to his son as Chicharito (little pea) so as to be the accepted way to reference him.

No that's not really acceptable is it? Maybe in Mexico but he's playing in England, in a league where the established protocol is, as far as I can work out, family names as identifying feature. 

It shouldn't, and doesn't, matter that his father has green eyes and they gave him a nickname on another continent. I'm aware that people have nicknames but it seems anathema to the idea of rules to allow them to choose what they want. Either all should or none, surely?

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

With the Hernandez case - British people and media called David Beckham 'Becks'. Why wasn't that his shirt name?

I've never referred to him as Becks, neither do my mates nor did commentators or serious media outlets.

Literally everyone knows him as Chicharito in Mexico.

Not sure why it bothers you so much anyway, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things does it.

Edited by martyn

4 minutes ago, martyn said:

I've never referred to him as Becks, neither do my mates nor did commentators or serious media outlets.

Literally everyone knows him as Chicharito in Mexico.

Enough people did. My point remains though, having a nickname doesn't seem reason enough. Nor does saying 'I want my first name.' 

Obviously you accept there's a system, why does another countries media and populace dictate this. 

Oh, and here's a link that should take you to a picture of him in a Mexico shirt with J. Hernández on the  back https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.caughtoffside.com/2014/06/19/image-manchester-united-striker-javier-hernandez-snapped-in-santos-shirt/amp/?source=images

Dele Ali has Dele, Jordon Ibe has Jordon. It's not exclusive to foreign players, I just guess we have less use of nicknames over here. And all we'd end up with is a ton of shirts saying Gaz, Baz, Was, Jimmy, Crouchy, Vards, etc. But shit really.

On 07/04/2018 at 13:30, foxile5 said:

With the Hernandez case - British people and media called David Beckham 'Becks'. Why wasn't that his shirt name?

Maybe because he didn't want it to be Becks lol.

He might have been perfectly happy with Beckham on the back of his shirt because it didn't matter to him or he didn't want a nickname (maybe Fergie didn't want it to be done either).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

Maybe because he didn't want it to be Becks lol.

He might have been perfectly happy with Beckham on the back of his shirt because it didn't matter to him or he didn't want a nickname (maybe Fergie didn't want it to be done either).

That's true but doesn't really explain my question. 

11 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

That's true but doesn't really explain my question. 

you asked why wasn't his shirt name 'Becks'.

I'm saying that it's his choice at the end of the day and maybe he didn't like Becks :S?

Hernandez has Chicharito because that's how he likes to be known and doesn't mind it?

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

you asked why wasn't his shirt name 'Becks'.

I'm saying that it's his choice at the end of the day and maybe he didn't like Becks :S?

Hernandez has Chicharito because that's how he likes to be known and doesn't mind it?

No. My initial question about how it doesn't seem to be a British thing.

Perhaps I'm not explaining my point terribly well. 

22 hours ago, foxile5 said:

No. My initial question about how it doesn't seem to be a British thing.

Perhaps I'm not explaining my point terribly well. 

You asked why non-Brits get to choose and Brits don't, seemingly insinuating that they should abide by British traditions of shirt names.

It seems to me that players (Brits as well as non-Brits) are allowed to influence what their names are, so it becomes a moot point.

From the PL: "Each player shall wear a shirt on the back of which shall be prominently displayed his shirt number and above that his surname or such other name as may be approved in writing by the board"

Clubs can write on behalf of their players to Premier League to request an alternative name and a reason why.

Ravel Morrison was just known as "Ravel" wasn't he? Changed it because he had a bad relationship with his father? Likewise Memphis Depay and Dele Alli? These are all acceptable personal reasons.