Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Balkans Tensions

"Balkan tensions" is the thread title and that can go straight into the General Chat section.

The theme is bigger than the World Cup, and actually it has no place in sports.

And please don't post pictures of those two dumbbells with those bloody awful celebrations any longer.

• Haha 1

The 95 Dayton peace accords are fatally flawed and will inevitably lead to more conflict but also:

2 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

No mate, couldn't give a fvck, England are playing today , the sun is shining and I am off down the pub.:D

this. 

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's weird most of the Swiss players seem to care about another nation more than their own.

It's not "most", it's predominantly two not so bright individuals, others may share the sentiment to some extent.

And they're not "Swiss" in the purer sense, they consider themselves half-half, sometimes, depending on the occasion, even more Albanian or Kosovar than Swiss. It suits their ego and their gusto.

Shaqiri even posted pictures of his shoes with the Kosovo flag on one side on his Instagram before the Serbia match.

It's been an everlasting issue with Swiss players with Shqipi background, many players vowed not to perform the double eagle celebration four years ago after similar incidents during the 2014 World Cup.

Seems like memory's short and a promise not worth anything anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It's not "most", it's predominantly two not so bright individuals, others may share the sentiment to some extent.

And they're not "Swiss" in the purer sense, they consider themselves half-half, sometimes, depending on the occasion, even more Albanian or Kosovar than Swiss. It suits their ego and their gusto.

Shaqiri even posted pictures of his shoes with the Kosovo flag on one side on his Instagram before the Serbia match.

It's been an everlasting issue with Swiss players with Shqipi background, many players vowed not to perform the double eagle celebration four years ago after similar incidents during the 2014 World Cup.

Seems like memory's short and a promise not worth anything anymore.

But werent they getting booed by Serbian fans throughout the game?

I know they should know better, but from what I gather an Albanian getting stick from Serbians is going to rub them quite badly the wrong way

I can understand how they might get overtaken with emotion scoring in the world cup and "forget" their promise

Not condoning it or anything, but its understandable to a degree

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

But werent they getting booed by Serbian fans throughout the game?

I know they should know better, but from what I gather an Albanian getting stick from Serbians is going to rub them quite badly the wrong way

I can understand how they might get overtaken with emotion scoring in the world cup and "forget" their promise

Not condoning it or anything, but its understandable to a degree

Well, are they playing for Switzerland or Albania or Kosovo?

They've known for months they'd be playing against Serbia and that in an environment where Russians were likely to stand by their Serbian friends, promised not to celebrate in that fashion anymore four years ago and still did it.

They're pros and cannot stand above it? What signal does it send to others? Shqipis and Serbs have been teasing each other for the better part of 600 years now over some battle between Orthodox Christians and Muslims where the outcome was inconclusive, with both sides claiming victory. If you still keep hanging on to your national or religious pride from centuries ago, you have learnt nothing from history.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Just now, MC Prussian said:

They've known for months they'd be playing against Serbia and that in an environment where Russians were likely to stand by their Serbian friends, promised not to celebrate in that fashion anymore four years ago and still did it.

They're pros and cannot stand above it? What signal does it send to others? Shqipis and Serbs have been teasing each other for the better part of 600 years now over some battle between Orthodox Christians and Muslims where the outcome was inconclusive. If you still keep hanging on to your national or religious pride centuries ago, you have learnt nothing.

Fair points. It does seem ridiculous from the outside, i'm constantly putting my foot in it with my Serbian friend who really has zero sense of humour about this stuff

If Shaqiri had just done how Vardy does to West Brom, pulled a funny face, hands behind his ears and silly walk, he could have trolled Serbian fans without getting all political

Some people dont know how to live

31 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

They're pros and cannot stand above it? What signal does it send to others? Shqipis and Serbs have been teasing each other for the better part of 600 years now over some battle between Orthodox Christians and Muslims where the outcome was inconclusive, with both sides claiming victory. If you still keep hanging on to your national or religious pride from centuries ago, you have learnt nothing from history.

To claim that there is bad blood between Albanians and Serbs simply because of the battle of Kosovo field is naive. And Albanians are actually as anti Ottoman as Serbs are. The tension comes from what happened in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Xhaka's Dad was a political prisoner for five years in the former Yugoslavia. Shaqiri's family were refugees from the Former Yugoslavia.

It's completely understandable that they feel that way, though it's depressing as fvck that they made the gestures because it perpetuates the whole bullshit. And I have to say the reaction of the Serbian government and press has been much more mature than the Kosovars and Albanians who have been shit stirring the whole thing. I think your annoyance comes more from the fact that you're a Switzerland fan and you feel slightly humiliated. The argument of 'well if they love their country so much play for them bla bla bla' is also naive. It's a football game. If the Swiss want a team that passionately believes in their nation, then they can drop Shaqiri and the other players that have expressed a pride in their 'native' country. They won't, of course...

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bovril said:

To claim that there is bad blood between Albanians and Serbs simply because of the battle of Kosovo field is naive. And Albanians are actually as anti Ottoman as Serbs are. The tension comes from what happened in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Xhaka's Dad was a political prisoner for five years in the former Yugoslavia. Shaqiri's family were refugees from the Former Yugoslavia.

It's completely understandable that they feel that way, though it's depressing as fvck that they made the gestures because it perpetuates the whole bullshit. And I have to say the reaction of the Serbian government and press has been much more mature than the Kosovars and Albanians who have been shit stirring the whole thing. I think you're annoyance comes more from the fact that you're a Switzerland fan and you feel slightly humiliated. The argument of 'well if they love their country so much play for them bla bla bla' is also naive. It's a football game. If the Swiss want a team that passionately believes in their nation, then they can drop Shaqiri and the other players that have expressed a pride in their 'native' country. They won't, of course...

Well, isn't that whole thing pretty stupid? They continue the evil cycle, Groundhog Day all over again. No reasoning, no understanding, no will.

I didn't claim that the Battle of Kosovo was THE reason for the tensions, but it's being regurgitated for 600+ years and plays a major role in both sides continuing to have a go at each other, trying to claim the bragging rights.

No denying that what happened during the Yugoslavian Civil War was atrocious and that the Serbs were leading the charge, but I don't consider any side better than the other. The Slovenians get away with most of my respect, because they seceded early and weren't overly involved in the war cruelties.

Just because Xhaka's father was interred for a while because he protested against the people in charge makes it right for his son to protest against a nation that then didn't exist, with leaders in charge that have little to nothing to do with what was going on back then? Besides, even though his father was in prison, we don't know the whole story. Maybe he was arrested on correct charges, who says he's completely innocent?

To some extent, Granit is an instrument, a propaganda tool for his father, and so is/was his brother Taulant, as seen in the abandoned and scandalous Albania - Serbia match not so long ago.

Some players have learnt nothing, and our football association has learnt nothing. They keep on protecting their star players, knowing bloody well how important they are to the cause. So, incidents like this will continue to be either downplayed or swept under the carpet completely. Until the wrongdoers retire.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Just now, MC Prussian said:

Well, isn't that whole thing pretty stupid? 

Extremely.

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

No denying that what happened during the Yugoslavian Civil War was atrocious and that the Serbs were leading the charge, but I don't consider any side better than the other. 

Very true. And what's happening now to the Serb minority in Kosovo is very disturbing.

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Just because Xhaka's father was interred for a while because he protested against Tito makes it right to protest against a nation that then didn't exist, with leaders in charge that have little to nothing to do with what was going on back then? Besides, even if his father was in prison, we don't know the whole story. Maybe he was arrested on correct charges, who knows? 

Charges were always correct in SFRY!