Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Arsenal Post Match

Watching the highlights back, the most frustrating thing is how the **** do we end up looking like a different team as soon as we score?

First 30 we did everything right, we held them well, we were organised at the back, we pressed them well. They didn't have many options but to shoot from range.

Then after we score we seem to drop deeper (without maintaining the same pressing) and we're all over the place.

1 hour ago, Bablemikey said:

Not sure you grasped the point I was making. We are not fishing in the same pond as the top teams at this time. We are not attracting the kind of talent that those teams do. Therefore we may find we need to pay over the odds to get players, and that those players may be more of a risk.

lets not forget though that we are only a few games into this season & that for several of the players it is their first time in the Premiership. Let’s see where we stand after a season or two before writing them off.

That's a fair point, and I respect that it means we would have to pay more for a player to get them. But I wouldn't say we're bargain hunting, so I do expect more.   It's more a bleat at the recruitment side of the club that having spent a fortune on new players, the first substitution was Albrighton.

Edited by breadandcheese

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Fair enough Babs but does it not worry you how we cave when put under pressure?

My belief is this stems from the players not having much confidence in how they are being asked to play. I think you said yourself last night how our defence in particular went to pieces.

Of course, the players can’t be absolved of responsibility, but this must come from the boss?

I’m not only referring to Arsenal. It happened a couple of weeks back against Everton too.

I don't think cave under pressure per se. We've come back from going behind and withstood teams coming onto us before. My biggest gripe was the ball retention after we scored, we just kept giving it away in dangerous areas completely unforced, it gave them the opening to get onto us and meant we couldn't get upfield. Before that we were popping it around really well in tight spaces and creating chances.

So what is it that makes that happen? Is this the young team having to learn to deal with different positions in games? The team going into panic mode because we've now got something to hold onto? Is it not having clarity from the manager and instructions on how to deal with certain situations?

I don't know, I'm not sure anyone on here can have the answers to that one.

Defensively, I've said for a while. We're playing slow centre backs too high, and the CM's aren't protecting them between the lines. Meaning one of them ends up stepping out to cover a player, leaving gaping holes in the defence that teams will play though. We need to drop the CB's back and give them the protection you should be getting from two CDMs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Vardy is a clinical finisher who is suffering by playing in a side full of mediocrity.

We need to be careful. Talk of offloading Vardy and sticking with the same manager who signed Ghezzal, Ricardo and Diabetes is scary imo. Puel seems to be slowly dismantling our title winning squad and replacing them with players who are bang average.

Im all for evolution of the squad but it’s got to be done correctly. 

If Vardy would have been wearing a Gunners shirt last night, he’d have scored two or three. I think it’s not so much that Vardy has lost his way, as we’ve lost our way.

Spot on Col.

A year in and we have no backbone, or spirit if yesterday is anything to go by, and tactics that are not playing to the strengths of our better players.

Just what I expected to happen under this manager. Seems that the players not believe in what he’s doing either? 

Luckily for Claude there are worse teams than us, but the lack of fight could be

a major problem.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, FIF said:

That's crazy. Did you really exepct to beat Arsenal away? Do you expect to beat Man City away too?

Our results so far have been pretty much as you would expect them. Lose to the big teams, beat the shite. The only one that you might argue we should have done better was Everton but even that is subjective, and only happened after Puel told Morgan to get sent off. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Watching the highlights back, the most frustrating thing is how the **** do we end up looking like a different team as soon as we score?

First 30 we did everything right, we held them well, we were organised at the back, we pressed them well. They didn't have many options but to shoot from range.

Then after we score we seem to drop deeper (without maintaining the same pressing) and we're all over the place.

Was the first 30 mins the team naturally playing, like they have done in the past and shown good starts under different managers then reverted to the managers tactics

Or vice versa 

quite contrasting displays, for it just to be down to arsenals performance   

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 1

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Our results so far have been pretty much as you would expect them. Lose to the big teams, beat the shite. The only one that you might argue we should have done better was Everton but even that is subjective, and only happened after Puel told Morgan to get sent off. 

Loved the comment last night saying what an idiot their manager was for not taking Holding off when he was on a yellow. lol

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

lucky against wolves

sneaked it against Southampton

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Not that it was anyone player's fault but someone here got far too carried away with Mendy just because he wasn't shit in some games. N'Didi and Mendy as a midfield paring are bottom half standard.

It's fine is you've got exceptional talent in front of them who you can just give the ball to and say, go and get on with it. When you don't have that, you need more through the middle.

Just now, Babylon said:

It's fine is you've got exceptional talent in front of them who you can just give the ball to and say, go and get on with it. When you don't have that, you need more through the middle.

I'm not suggesting bring him back because he's crocked but even an out of sorts Drinkwater was a better player than most of our options now.

Our midfield options have cost comfortably over £50m and really what are they good at? Ndidi can win the ball but what do the others bring, Iborra's tall, other than that?

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Not that it was anyone player's fault but someone here got far too carried away with Mendy just because he wasn't shit in some games. N'Didi and Mendy as a midfield paring are bottom half standard.

Kante was like having two+ players. N'didi with Mendy is like having one.

Job share and doing the same role.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

lucky against wolves

sneaked it against Southampton

Unlucky against Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Key missed chances or decisions going against us and we could easily have got more... so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Chilwell, Evans and Maguire are the only players that don't wind me up more often than not this season. I feel like a spoilt brat because I'm pissed off we didn't get anything at Arsenal but there's so much more to come from this team. The most frustrating thing is that we're slightly underachieving but I really don't think we could get any better than Puel

F uck you Leicester City

Edited by Stadt

12 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

lucky with the deflected goal 

lost 3-1

Ref couldnt of had a better view, if you watch replay the defenders arm bouncers off ndidis head to the ball

Not straight to the ball

The general consensus on here last night was that we should have been 2 or 3 up at HT and they should have been down to 10 men. If that happened we'd likely have won. You can't just go on some whataboutery rampage about prior games and then ignore the bullshit from the first half last night. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Chilwell, Evans and Maguire are the only players that don't wind me up more often than not this season. I feel like a spoilt brat because I'm pissed off we didn't get anything at Arsenal but there's so much more to come from this team. The most frustrating thing is that we're slightly underachieving but I really don't think we could get any better than Puel

F uck you Leicester City

Evans is shit; that winds me up.

Chilwell is a bit better now but earning £115k a week that winds me up.

Maguire at every opportunity stating he wants to play CL football and ‘we will see what happens’ this season; looking for the exit door that winds me up.

So there we are.

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The general consensus on here last night was that we should have been 2 or 3 up at HT and they should have been down to 10 men. If that happened we'd likely have won. You can't just go on some whataboutery rampage about prior games and then ignore the bullshit from the first half last night. 

General consensus on a club website 

2 or 3 nill up?

why should we have been 2 or 3 nill up at half time.

They shouldnt have scored why?

we was lucky with the own goal

as for the pen

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7557567/arsenal-rob-holding-handball-leicester/

34 secs

ref looking directly at it

arm deflects off ndidis head during the jump, not directly to ball

People also fail to mention the sitter Lacazette missed in the 77th minute

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Yeah awful losing against a team who have won 10 on the trot and have £60m strikers on the bench, a team we've not beaten since the 70's there.

People talking here like it was ours to lose need a reality check. We got a goal that we deserved in the first half, but this was always going to be a game of two halves Arsenal had won 9 in a row for a reason and beaten our league rivals comfortably. This wasn't ours to win, it was theirs to lose. Baffling that we've come away from an away game at a club that plays possibly some of the best attacking football in Europe irritated that we didn't win. Half of our fans seem to believe we should be beating Arsenal, a team where their strikers cost £110m on their own. Consider our entire starting squad cost what, a little over £120m?

We'll never compete against these squads until we put as much money in as they do, and are able to draw the players that they do.

Edited by Beechey

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Unlucky against Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Key missed chances or decisions going against us and we could easily have got more... so it's swings and roundabouts really.

well not really

as we lost all them games and didnt look like winning any of them

So if were more fortunate, a draw at Liverpool and Man u 

2 points

As opposed to the 6 we sneaked at wolves(hit the bar 3 times) and Southampton last kick goal

Definitely a penalty as his arm was in an unnatural position also stopping a ball going towards the goal regardless of who it came off, denying a possible goal scoring opportunity (no such law in football of the reference last man) therefore a red or at least a yellow resulting in a red as he had already been booked, game changer and the Ref bottled it...

5 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

well not really

as we lost all them games and didnt look like winning any of them

So if were more fortunate, a draw at Liverpool and Man u 

2 points

As opposed to the 6 we sneaked at wolves(hit the bar 3 times) and Southampton last kick goal

Portraying the Wolves game as lucky on our part is disingenuous if you only use how many times they hit the bar as reasoning. The majority of their efforts were long, speculative shots, 2 of them happened to hit the bar, the third that hit the bar was an impossibly wide angle that was closer to the side netting than the goal. Wolves had one real chance that game, and Chilwell cleared it off the line. That's it.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1