Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Arsenal Post Match

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

What quality do we have out on loan exactly? I doubt Slimani is the answer, if you say Barnes then give it a rest. He's a completely unproven kid, he's in and out of games at Championship level let alone premier. He isn't the answer at the moment. 

Yeah but he’s scored a few and set up

a few so obviously he’s the answer m8

• Like 1

Interesting game, disappointing result.

Played quite well in the first 30 minutes up until getting the lead. We've shown in spells against Man United, Liverpool and now Arsenal that we can dictate the game and look threatening. Lots of good interplay between the team. However, as soon as we scored it felt like we immediately sat back (probably a subconscious thing more than deliberate) and Arsenal completely took over. Stupid goal to give away right on the stroke of half time and from then on there only looked like there would be one winner. Some of their play in the second half was vintage Arsenal and Torriera their 11 and Ozil ran the game. Second half it felt like we never came out as we never got going, and all of a sudden couldn't put together even three passes. Their subs had a massive impact and they wrapped up the game with a quick flurry. We did absolutely nothing in the second half and it was Vardy who should have come off. Clearly ill in my eyes he literally ran for nothing the entire game which is most unlike him.

The reason why the game was interesting in my eyes is because it really shows us the crossroads we are at. For the first 30 minutes we were very good and it made you think that we can play the passing game and develop it over time. But then the second half it looked like men against boys and the style looked like it was too technical and advanced for the players that we have. So which is the real Leicester? The one with young talented players that show signs of being able to become a great team, or the one that ultimately will always fall short of playing the passing system whilst more pragmatic teams around our level surpass us? I don't really know to be honest but I think for a mid level side it will take quite a while to get used to playing in a specific way so don't really want to make a judgement either way.

The tactics today were interesting too, I wonder if we will play that way on Saturday?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What quality do we have out on loan exactly? I doubt Slimani is the answer, if you say Barnes then give it a rest. He's a completely unproven kid, he's in and out of games at Championship level let alone premier. He isn't the answer at the moment. 

I measure it by what the alternatives we've been left with on the bench.

Slimani or Okazaki?

Barnes or Ghezzal?

Musa or Big nose? 

I’d like to see us persevere with 3-5-2 for no reason other than we have no wingers capable of playing regularly for a team in the top 10 of a Premier League side.

35 minutes with Xhaka at left back and all we had to throw at them was 20 minutes of Ghezzal. It’s not good enough, if we want to play with wingers we need at least 2 new ones.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I measure it by what the alternatives we've been left with on the bench.

Slimani or Okazaki?

Barnes or Ghezzal?

Musa or Big nose? 

I really don't think it'd make that much difference. I said we'd be left short if we let them all go, it was obvious. I think most people saw that, but it's not like we've got amazing players out on loan. Most couldn't wait to see Slim and Musa gone, not that I was one of them. 

• Like 2

Strange game strange tactics tonight 

maquire playing right center back 

Maddison in the center of the forward 3 

then albrighton On as sub to go 5 at the back while drawing concede two quick goals 

change to a back 4 again with the next sub maquire going to left center back 

Just now, Babylon said:

I really don't think it'd make that much difference. I said we'd be left short if we let them all go, it was obvious. I think most people saw that, but it's not like we've got amazing players out on loan. Most couldn't wait to see Slim and Musa gone, not that I was one of them. 

Yeah I'm not so sure it would make much difference, mainly because neither Slimani or Musa settled well enough here to buy in to being a squad player and to be part of the team when not starting games. But we've so little variation on the bench, one more injury to one of Vardy, Iheanacho or Maddison and it's a scary thought right now. I have to bit my lip when I see us finally lob crosses in when chasing the game and we have no striker who can attack crosses (Iheanacho is usually off the field) and we refuse to consider Iborra's aerial prowess either. Just a massive waste of time doing it.

• Like 1

I want to get behind Puel but I just can't really see where he's taking us. He's done some good things with the squad and style of play but it always feels too much like one step forwards and two back. 

Never expect to win against Arsenal away, especially with the form they're in but the nature of the capitulation was disappointing. I think one thing should be clear. We desperately need a CB to pair and build a relationship with Maguire. I can't believe that we haven't done the this, given that it's been obvious for quite a while now. We are lacking in other places too. Mendy and Ndidi is a dour midfield pairing. Could do with an actual RB. Ghezzal should never have been brought in, and unfortunately, Nacho appears to be more and more of a flop.

I understand the 'team in transition' rhetoric but there is nothing transitionary about playing Wes Morgan every game and seemingly not having a plan B everytime he gets suspended. Over the past two seasons, none of our major problems have been addressed. Sure we have brought some younger players through but mostly out of necessity. Our midfield pairing is still not up scratch, we don't have someone to play with/replace Vardy, we don't have any quality wingers/or a decent RB (depending on how you view Ricardo) and we look tactically inept against most sides. 

We may just have to get used to mid table obscurity but I think it's right to point out some of the consistent failures.

• Like 1

I think Puel is here for the season unless we drastically implode...the positives with Puel is that we are bedding in some talented younger players ...the negatives are that we will never be more than mid table with his rigid thinking and he has the team playing like automatons and is too often out thought by more creative managers.

1 minute ago, lee7 said:

Shocking second half performance. Awful substitutions. Vardy, Maddison and Iheanacho all playing in positions they're not suited to and because of that we don't see what they're capable of. 

Vardy and Iheanacho playing up front with Maddison behind... isn't that exactly what people have been crying for all season?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Dominate for 35, go 1-0 up, play Arsenal off the park, denies a clear penalty as well as a second booking for holding, miss a sitter from Maguire. “Wow we are playing well.” They score right on half time. Is there a worse time to concede, let alone after dominating? Everyone seems happy albeit a tad disappointed. No mention of Puel. 

Second half. Arsenal come out all guns blazing, play us off the park and score two top class goals. No mention of this from the majority. It’s puels fault. 

Think most of the rest of what you've said is about right Bert but you've completely and totally overlooked some awful substitutions and a tactical change, the latter of which preceded our meltdown. 

Arsenal were improved after half time but they still hadn't done anything until we shifted up and ****ed it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

Vardy and Iheanacho playing up front with Maddison behind... isn't that exactly what people have been crying for all season?

Except it wasn't really that. Vardy was playing as an old fashioned inside left (until Maddison was substituted) and same with Nacho on the other side.

• Like 2

That first half was impressive from us and more like what I believe we’re capable of. Getting whipped by them in the 2nd half is as much us playing poor and them playing well. We need to learn how to retain the ball better when under pressure

im taking the positives of the first half rather than arsenal turning it on in the 2nd. Bring on West Ham and give them a right stuffing 

1 minute ago, martyn said:

Except it wasn't really that. Vardy was playing as an old fashioned inside left (until Maddison was substituted) and same with Nacho on the other side.

Yeah they always seemed too far apart to really get anything going

Edited by oadby.fox

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That's not what we played. 

We actually played the Liverpool front three with Maddison in the Firmino role and Vardy and Iheanacho doing their best impression of Mane and Sallah. 

Despite your determination to undermine Iheanacho, I actually thought it suited him and he played very well in the first half, I'd say he was a big part of our pegging them back. They were terrified of our right hand side. 

I think the shape we started the game with has good potential, keep in mind it's the first time we've ever played that way in a match and that Vards was clearly having an enormous off day. 

Edited by Finnegan