Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

23 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Hm, I was under the impression she was a dual national, yet I've just read on the BBC the government justified its stance because she's eligible for another citizenship elsewhere. If it's the case that we've stripped her of citizenship and she's now stateless, because she might be able to gain another passport, I'm not a fan of that at all. Apparently her husband is Dutch, as well. So she could get a Dutch or Bangladeshi passport.

I didn't think that a country could remove citizenship if it's the only one you have. Must be a mistake. 

5 minutes ago, FIF said:

I didn't think that a country could remove citizenship if it's the only one you have. Must be a mistake. 

I understood she AUTOMATICALLY has Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.  Much like those Aussie politicians found they had NZ citizenship and had to resign as a result.  Some countries you have it by default.

31 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Hm, I was under the impression she was a dual national, yet I've just read on the BBC the government justified its stance because she's eligible for another citizenship elsewhere. If it's the case that we've stripped her of citizenship and she's now stateless, because she might be able to gain another passport, I'm not a fan of that at all. Apparently her husband is Dutch, as well. So she could get a Dutch or Bangladeshi passport.

Although her child automatically has Dutch nationality if the father confirms paternity, I cannot imagine the Dutch will be in a rush to take the mother, though I've no knowledge of Dutch immigration law.

They have their own problems with Islamic extremists and the Far Right, without taking in a British/Bangladeshi jihadi bride - much as I'm sure the Dutch Far Right would love it as a recruiting tool.

There might be a few bureaucratic difficulties, too. The husband was last seen as a POW in a war zone and has vanished. I wonder what sort of marriage certificate she has, if any?

One issued by Islamic State, signed by Imam Headchopper and counter-signed by Mullah Bombmaker wouldn't go down well.... :ph34r:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Sad that Anna Soubry has left, was a proper Conservative that believed in the power of the markets but went militant Remain. 

No idea why Sarah Wollaston ever joined the Conservatives, makes Ed Miliband look Libertarian. 

As a Tory, it is concerning that they feel the party is too extreme for them.  Broad church and all that :(

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Although her child automatically has Dutch nationality if the father confirms paternity, I cannot imagine the Dutch will be in a rush to take the mother, though I've no knowledge of Dutch immigration law.

They have their own problems with Islamic extremists and the Far Right, without taking in a British/Bangladeshi jihadi bride - much as I'm sure the Dutch Far Right would love it as a recruiting tool.

There might be a few bureaucratic difficulties, too. The husband was last seen as a POW in a war zone and has vanished. I wonder what sort of marriage certificate she has, if any?

One issued by Islamic State, signed by Imam Headchopper and counter-signed by Mullah Bombmaker wouldn't go down well.... :ph34r:

I agree. The Netherlands has taken quite a hard line on refusing taking back those who have travelled to Syria to fight for ISIS as well.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I understood she AUTOMATICALLY has Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.  Much like those Aussie politicians found they had NZ citizenship and had to resign as a result.  Some countries you have it by default.

I don't know if Bangladesh is the same, but I was in this position re. Irish nationality. 

Those born in the UK to Irish-born parents have an automatic right to dual Irish citizenship. But they do have to prove that right, which took months for me (lots of forms, had to provide father's birth cert, parents' marriage cert etc.).

I don't know how Bangladeshi bureaucracy compares to Irish bureaucracy....

Mind you, I'd better not commit any crimes outside the UK now, had I? I might risk being stripped of my British nationality and sent to Ireland....:blink:

Poor Theresa is probably going to have to rewrite her whole PMQs speech now, I'm sure it was filled with lame jokes about MPS leaving Labour. 

Still think this new "group" will take more votes away from the Lib Dems/Centrist Tories than Labour if we were to resort to another General Election. 

26 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I don't know if Bangladesh is the same, but I was in this position re. Irish nationality. 

Those born in the UK to Irish-born parents have an automatic right to dual Irish citizenship. But they do have to prove that right, which took months for me (lots of forms, had to provide father's birth cert, parents' marriage cert etc.).

I don't know how Bangladeshi bureaucracy compares to Irish bureaucracy....

Mind you, I'd better not commit any crimes outside the UK now, had I? I might risk being stripped of my British nationality and sent to Ireland....:blink:

You'll probably want to take the "well, it happened by accident" route rather than the age/gender one. Not sure "old man" would gather the same sympathy as "young girl" :whistle:

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It means we get to scream about lack of representation.  :D

As LCFC fans, we're already brilliantly represented by Keith Vaz, aren't we? :whistle:

Do any of the other Leicester or Leicestershire MPs show up at matches? Can't say I've noticed. At least Corbyn is a bona fide Arse fan (as well as a bona fide arse)....

21 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

This Independent Group is very female so far, isn't it?

7 out of its 11 MPs are women. Don't know what that means, if anything.

No funny tinged people.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

This Independent Group is very female so far, isn't it?

7 out of its 11 MPs are women. Don't know what that means, if anything.

It''s very second referendum as well, 11 out of 11 - I have no idea why they assume the public are going to swallow them as a Centrist rather than Remain group, which is clearly is.

Wollaston is the funniest of the lot though, campaigned for Leave, switched to Remain, accepted the result, promised to implement it, stood on a Hard Brexit manifesto and then decided to campaign for a second referendum.

Then she comes on a Radio 4 and says she's worried people are losing trust in politicians lol

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

As LCFC fans, we're already brilliantly represented by Keith Vaz, aren't we? :whistle:

Do any of the other Leicester or Leicestershire MPs show up at matches? Can't say I've noticed. At least Corbyn is a bona fide Arse fan (as well as a bona fide arse)....

According to that book coming out he actually hates football and finds it boring. 

As for LCFC fans I know one of the DUP is a fan of us as he came as a guest of Keith Vaz in the title winning season, political pundits we have Nick Ferrari as well.

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Doesn't Umunna count? :ph34r:

Can't say I noticed but having checked on Wiki he might "Igbo-Nigerian father and Anglo-Irish mother"

Somewhat ruined my attempt at a joke.

This is a great point as well when comparing the two.

The other oddity is the Labour MP's leaving are actually massively in touch with Labour members on Brexit, which is the opposite of the Tory three.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It''s very second referendum as well, 11 out of 11 - I have no idea why they assume the public are going to swallow them as a Centrist rather than Remain group, which is clearly is.

Brexit is clearly the dominant issue for now (though not the only issue, certainly among the Labour defectors).

But Brexit might be a done deal within weeks, one way or another.....though, if a deal is done and the Withdrawal Agreement is passed, arguments over the EU/UK future relationship will continue for years, along with arguments about UK trade and global role. If so, it'll be interesting to see what these MPs do then - presumably they've discussed forming a post-Brexit Centrist Party.

Mind you, an early election could see them all wiped out from parliament before they even have a chance to form a new party or alliance. If there's an early election, I wonder if they'll seek to do a deal with the Lib Dems not to stand against one another, as the SDP and Liberals did in 1983 (they formed an alliance and divided the seats between them, though they were still 2 separate parties then).

22 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Still think this new "group" will take more votes away from the Lib Dems/Centrist Tories than Labour if we were to resort to another General Election. 

It could destroy the Lib Dems, but my instinct is that it will take more votes from Labour than from the Tories. There are a lot more Labour voters opposed to Corbyn's Brexit stance and/or other policies than there are Tory voters opposed to the Tory Brexit stance or other Tory policies, I think - and those who hate May's policies mostly support ERG-type policies, not Remain & centrist policies....

This poll supports that.....but only to some extent. It was obviously done after the Labour defections but before the Tory defections.

Anything remotely like this poll would reproduce the 1983 election - Hard Right Tory landslide (probably with the IG being wiped out, but handing lots of Labour seats to the Tories).

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

... blimey.

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Can't say I noticed but having checked on Wiki he might "Igbo-Nigerian father and Anglo-Irish mother"

Somewhat ruined my attempt at a joke.

Nah! You got a smirk out of me, Davie (much as the ISIS girl is described as "smirking" in all the tabloids).