Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

So since Luciana Berger left Labour two days ago because of antisemitism.....

Derek Hatton got accepted back and then suspended for an antisemitic Tweet, Livingstone went on R4 to say he has never heard anything antisemitic in the party in 30 years and we've had Galloway reapply to join the party before going on TV and accusing the defectors of Goebbels-like Nazi propaganda.

Did they not at least think waiting for a few days might have been sensible? 

This just isn't serious anymore, what on earth is going on? ?

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The whole things lunacy, 

The defectors leave but refuse to give by-elections, despite promoting a campaign to give people a second referendum because things were not clear when they voted. Err awkward.

Labour have gone full Nazi mode, making Tommy Robinson’s UKIP seems appealing. The Tories are stripping people of their citizenship to cheers from a seemingly majority of people.

We've full on lost the plot, nobody’s even talking about the biggest political event in over 70 years, that is literally only 37 days away. 

It’s hilarious lol

There is something wonderfully British about it all lol

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

So since Luciana Berger left Labour two days ago because of antisemitism.....

Derek Hatton got accepted back and then suspended for an antisemitic Tweet, Livingstone went on R4 to say he has never heard anything antisemitic in the party in 30 years and we've had Galloway reapply to join the party before going on TV and accusing the defectors of Goebbels-like Nazi propaganda.

Did they not at least think waiting for a few days might have been sensible? 

This just isn't serious anymore, what on earth is going on? ?

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The whole things lunacy, 

The defectors leave but refuse to give by-elections, despite promoting a campaign to give people a second referendum because things were not clear when they voted. Err awkward.

Labour have gone full Nazi mode, making Tommy Robinson’s UKIP seems appealing. The Tories are stripping people of their citizenship to cheers from a seemingly majority of people.

We've full on lost the plot, nobody’s even talking about the biggest political event in over 70 years, that is literally only 37 days away. 

It’s hilarious lol

Worth pointing out:

Its Wednesday. Can’t wait for the rest of the week:

“George Galloway reinstated and kicked out within half an hour, because he’s a cvnt”

”Diane Abbott accidentally resigns from Labour, shares her disappointment at the 300 Labour MPs who have quit so far”

”Young Labour’s retweet of Adolf ****ing Hitler swiftly removed after latest Jewish MP defection”

”Owen Jones continues to be a ****ing idiot”*

“Shamima Begum arrives home to join the cast of Love Island”

“New pictures emerge of Corbyn blowing Osama Bin Laden in the 80s, claims he was there but wasn’t involved”

*Some of these may already have happened. 

Labour could lose control of Brighton and Hove City Council after one of its councillors joined the Conservatives in protest at anti-Semitic abuse.

Anne Meadows, whose husband is of Jewish descent, said she had suffered 18 months of attacks.

"There has been a lot of anti-Semitism going on in the city and that was aimed at me as well," said Ms Meadows.

Last July, she was deselected by Labour party members ahead of this year's local elections.

Ms Meadows said she would stand again in May as a Conservative.

"I am now firmly rooted in the Conservative party," she said.

The Tories are now the council's largest party and will try to form a minority administration.

'Driven out'

Ms Meadows, who has represented the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward for nearly 25 years, said the abuse "came to a head even in Labour group meetings where I would be attacked, and none of the other councillors would prevent it or halt it".

"I used to go home feeling awful and I thought there's got to be more than this, it's not the Labour party I knew and loved."

She added: "The last 18 months has shown to me that the new Momentum members [left wing campaign group backing Jeremy Corbyn] don't share Labour values. 

"They don't have Labour traditional thoughts around common-sense policies for the good of the residents in the city.

"What I want is to do the best for the residents of my ward and the city, and only the Conservatives can take that forward."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-47306426

17 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Matthew, you silly sausage!  You forgot to post the link!

I know we're all busy, but not to the extent that we can't spare the time to actually read the article before getting indignant. Or have I got that very, very wrong? Anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/feb/20/universities-should-be-punished-for-giving-black-students-lower-grades

So, where in the article do they actually argue that "universities should be punished for giving black students lower grades". You could maybe argue that suggesting that gold TEF not be attainable if a vast swathe of your students are underachieving but that seems fairly reasonable?

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

CPS charges Tory MP with forgery and making fraudulent expenses claims: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47320171

That should further boost the high esteem in which politicians are held just now....

I know Craig McKinley was found not guilty, but things like this are happening far too often.

Might be best to make the actual parties more accountable for it, you can bet they'll make sure the MP's get the message then regarding this. 

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Scientists have finely discovered why zebras have stripes, they dazzle flies and insects so it stops them landing on the zebra.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2019/02/21/scientists-just-solved-the-mystery-of-why-zebras-have-stripes-by-making-horses-wear-zebra-costumes/#190551645234

The first picture on that article is clearly a zebra taunting the insects:

1-2-1200x675.jpg

I ****ing love nature.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I know Craig McKinley was found not guilty, but things like this are happening far too often.

Might be best to make the actual parties more accountable for it, you can bet they'll make sure the MP's get the message then regarding this. 

Yes, fair to say that this MP has been charged, not convicted. McKinlay and his agent were charged but acquitted, though a Tory HQ worker was convicted.

I don't want to come across all "moral majority" but I really don't like to see MPs being accused or convicted of offences. Democracy matters and having lots of MPs caught up in scandals can make people cynical about democracy.

I know most MPs of all parties are honest and hard-working, and arguably under-paid compared to other jobs with that level of responsibility. Even so, they don't earn a bad wage compared to most of us, yet a surprising number get caught up in fiddling expenses, other forms of fraud or other crimes. There are only 650 MPs at any one time and yet there seem to have been dozens caught up in scandals over recent years (from all parties) - from all the expenses scandals a few years back with Labour MPs and Tory Lords jailed, the Lib Dem minister and his dodgy subletting arrangement to recent sexual harassment issues to the Labour MP convicted of perverting the course of justice to Ian Paisley Jr's undeclared gifts and this Tory bloke....

It's reasonable to expect that there'll be the odd bad apple in any profession, but MPs really should be much better than the average, given their position of trust in society. Yet if anything they seem to be worse than average. I'm sure that if you took 650 doctors, lawyers, plumbers, secretaries, assembly line workers or whatever, there wouldn't be quite so many caught up in financial dishonesty or other offences.... I presume it angers the majority of honest, principled MPs, too.

Have to say that I respect the mps who have left their parties, on both sides, to stand for what they believe in. It has surprised me to see so many people saying, "I voted Labour/Conservative, not for this person."

Which has made me wonder... has anyone ever voted for a party, despite hating the candidate who was standing for them. Or maybe voted against the party they broadly agreed with, because they really liked what another party's candidate stood for or how how he/she conducted themselves? Would someone vote for their traditional party if the "candidate" was a convicted rapist or child molester?

9 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Have to say that I respect the mps who have left their parties, on both sides, to stand for what they believe in. It has surprised me to see so many people saying, "I voted Labour/Conservative, not for this person."

Which has made me wonder... has anyone ever voted for a party, despite hating the candidate who was standing for them. Or maybe voted against the party they broadly agreed with, because they really liked what another party's candidate stood for or how how he/she conducted themselves? Would someone vote for their traditional party if the "candidate" was a convicted rapist or child molester?

In reality the majority of people align to a party and vote for that Party's candidate, barely know their name or anything about them.  Few people meet their MP or look into them very much.

Your last question is a bit nuts, as surely no recognized party would select a candidate with such a record.

Edited by Jon the Hat

8 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I think I can say with relative certainty everyone on this forum would answer "no" to that. Also I'm pretty sure a political party would not put up such a person. 

Edited by bovril

F**king easy, lads. 

They'd been looking for over a century. I rocked up at 8am, sprinkled a load of quavers everywhere and waited for a bit. I was back on the boat slamming pina coladas by half-nine. You're welcome, Galapagos.

• Thanks 1

Brighton councillor Anne Meadows quits Labour over 'anti-Semitism'
20 February 2019

Labour could lose control of Brighton and Hove City Council after one of its councillors joined the Conservatives in protest at anti-Semitic abuse.

Anne Meadows, whose husband is of Jewish descent, said she had suffered 18 months of attacks.

"There has been a lot of anti-Semitism going on in the city and that was aimed at me as well," said Ms Meadows.

Last July, she was deselected by Labour party members ahead of this year's local elections.

Ms Meadows said she would stand again in May as a Conservative.

"I am now firmly rooted in the Conservative party," she said.

The Tories are now the council's largest party and will try to form a minority administration.

'Driven out'
Ms Meadows, who has represented the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward for nearly 25 years, said the abuse "came to a head even in Labour group meetings where I would be attacked, and none of the other councillors would prevent it or halt it".

"I used to go home feeling awful and I thought there's got to be more than this, it's not the Labour party I knew and loved."

She added: "The last 18 months has shown to me that the new Momentum members [left wing campaign group backing Jeremy Corbyn] don't share Labour values.

"They don't have Labour traditional thoughts around common-sense policies for the good of the residents in the city.

"What I want is to do the best for the residents of my ward and the city, and only the Conservatives can take that forward."

The defection of Ms Meadows, 61, follows the resignation of eight Labour MPs, citing Labour's failure to tackle anti-Semitism and Mr Corbyn's leadership.

Prime Minister Theresa May told the Commons that Ms Meadows would be "welcomed with open arms", while Conservative Party chairman Brandon Lewis tweeted that he was "delighted".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-47306426