Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

On a brighter note and as a distraction from boooorrrrrrringgggg politics, at London zoo, a 10 year old tiger, Azim, was introduced to a female,Melati, in  the hope they would mate, only for him to eat her. After keeping Azim in an adjacent pen, staff at London Zoo had said before the introduction  "It's early days but we've already seen some good signs - there has been lots of 'chuffing' which is a happy sound they make to let each other know they have good intentions. It's fantastic to see that they're interested in each other already." Obviously the experts at London zoo knew how to read the vital signs of tiger courtship, bless.

Beats politics any day.

I see the seaborne ferry contract has been cancelled because the company’s Irish backer (who have a large fleet of ships) has withdrawn themselves from the arrangement. Evidently commercial constraints meant that this tie up between seaborne and arklow shipping couldn’t be revealed. 

however, the jokes keep on coming and the opposition call on the minister to resign. do people not understand commercial sensibilities? 

People should just be grown up enough to accept that a proper shipping company was simply using another company as a ‘front’ for commercial reasons and that all the sticks they were beating the government with have turned out to be made of paper. There is plenty to be moaning about the government about without making stuff up! 

1 hour ago, foxtonhin said:

had this tiger not seen the gillette advert? 

I heard the tiger apologised for his king of the jungle privilege even though he's done nothing wrong and then just lost it when caught the female tiger tweeted #metoo #illmatewheniwant

Leicestershire Police are still searching for a man in his 50’s from Oadby who has been missing since January 15th.

Despite not knowing what he looks like, his hobbies are known to include following the city, hiking, and winding people up on the internet.

Where are you @Buce ?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Leicestershire Police are still searching for a man in his 50’s from Oadby who has been missing since January 15th.

Despite not knowing what he looks like, his hobbies are known to include following the city, hiking, and winding people up on the internet.

Where are you @Buce ?

Really?

Honestly, I hope buce is ok.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Really?

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Anyone know Buce IRL?

I was sort of joking but I’m kinda not.

I don’t know Buce IRL but think of him as a mate on here as he was really supportive when I was in hospital last year.

He’s on here every day usually so to go AWOL for nearly a month isn’t like him.

Maybe he’s on holiday or just quit FT but I think he would have said.

I hope he’s ok too and back soon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I was sort of joking but I’m kinda not.

I don’t know Buce IRL but think of him as a mate on here as he was really supportive when I was in hospital last year.

He’s on here every day usually so to go AWOL for nearly a month isn’t like him.

Maybe he’s on holiday or just quit FT but I think he would have said.

I hope he’s ok too and back soon.

He has had periods of absence before, but I too consider myself friends with him. I’m sure he is ok, as he is made of tough stuff. Hopefully he has just found better things to do with his time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

He has had periods of absence before, but I too consider myself friends with him. I’m sure he is ok, as he is made of tough stuff. Hopefully he has just found better things to do with his time.

Lucky him if so, particularly whilst the rest of us procrastinate our days away on here :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

I take it we are banned from discussing politics again then? 

Probably for the best, at least I’m not accountable for my vote in here.

I presume the thread closure was triggered by my disagreement with @MattP about the Single Market and/or the ongoing debate about Labour anti-semitism, @Mark?

I apologise to other posters if my comments contributed to the thread being closed.

But, if those were the reasons, I think closing the thread was an OTT reaction. They were issues of interest - to some of us, at least. Pretty much everyone who contributes to politics/news threads is able to agree or disagree and then move on, without it causing problems. The idea of having people discuss anything political (or controversial football issues) without disagreeing is a non-starter. People who discuss politics expect to disagree sometimes. Is repeatedly closing down such threads really the best solution?

Surely it should be possible to leave posters to get on with it, unless they're indulging in personal abuse or breaking other forum rules? In which case, a warning would be a reasonable first step - with individual bans for serious outrages (personal threats, serious abuse or whatever) or for people ignoring warnings?

There was someone else who posted a bit of silly personal abuse in that thread, but that was untypical of most posters and could presumably have been dealt with on an individual basis, if necessary (or simply ignored as idiocy)?

Another suggestion: could the Politics thread come back (closed previously)? Anyone who doesn't like debating politics could ignore it - and could post other news in this thread. Anyone deemed to be indulging in abuse or breaking rules could be warned or disciplined?

I don't want to whinge, as this is a great forum and I appreciate the work that Mods/Admin do. It just seems a shame - and unnecessary. Are we really in a situation where the UK is taking its biggest political decision in our lifetimes - and we're unable to discuss it? Mind you, it'll free up some extra time for me, if so.... :D

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I presume the thread closure was triggered by my disagreement with @MattP about the Single Market and/or the ongoing debate about Labour anti-semitism, @Mark?

I apologies to other posters if my comments contributed to the thread being closed.

But, if those were the reasons, I think closing the thread was an OTT reaction. They were issues of interest - to some of us, at least. Pretty much everyone who contributes to politics/news threads is able to agree or disagree and then move on, without it causing problems. The idea of having people discuss anything political (or controversial football issues) without disagreeing is a non-starter. People who discuss politics expect to disagree sometimes. Is repeatedly closing down such threads really the best solution?

Surely it should be possible to leave posters to get on with it, unless they're indulging in personal abuse or breaking other forum rules? In which case, a warning would be a reasonable first step - with individual bans for serious outrages (personal threats, serious abuse or whatever) or for people ignoring warnings?

There was someone else who posted a bit of silly personal abuse in that thread, but that was untypical of most posters and could presumably have been dealt with on an individual basis, if necessary (or simply ignored as idiocy)?

Another suggestion: could the Politics thread come back (closed previously)? Anyone who doesn't like debating politics could ignore it - and could post other news in this thread. Anyone deemed to be indulging in abuse or breaking rules could be warned or disciplined?

I don't want to whinge, as this is a great forum and I appreciate the work that Mods/Admin do. It just seems a shame - and unnecessary. Are we really in a situation where the UK is taking its biggest political decision in our lifetimes - and we're unable to discuss it? Mind you, it'll free up some extra time for me, if so.... :D

I can’t imagine it was anything to do with you Alf, I’d think it was toddy baiting and the one poster who bit, that pushed it over the edge. 

Unless offending posts I missed have subsequently been deleted, I didn’t think it was particularly toxic.

Edited by Strokes

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I can’t imagine it was anything to do with you Alf, I’d think it was toddy baiting and the one poster who bit, that pushed it over the edge. 

Unless offending posts I missed have subsequently been deleted, I didn’t think it was particularly toxic.

It would have been Toddy and RF I imagine.

Was certainly no abuse between me and Alf or anything else that would have Warren Ted shutting the thread down.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Where are you @Buce ?

This is actually slightly concerning, knew he hadn't posted but didn't realise he hadn't even visited the forum and his last few posts weren't any sort of argument.

Hope he's OK. 

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

It would have been Toddy and RF I imagine.

Was certainly no abuse between me and Alf or anything else that would have Warren Ted shutting the thread down.

If so, surely that could have been sorted by a quick word with Toddy if the nature/volume of his posts was an issue and/or with Rodney Fernio about personal abuse.....rather than close the thread? :dunno:

I was aware that my use of the word "lie" might have been an issue - though I'd like to think that you and I (and most other General Chat posters) are used to a bit of vigorous debate/disagreement without that being a problem.

I was wondering who "Warren Ted" was there.....thought it was a new super-strict Mod brought in to substitute for Webbo...... "warranted" lol

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

If so, surely that could have been sorted by a quick word with Toddy if the nature/volume of his posts was an issue and/or with Rodney Fernio about personal abuse.....rather than close the thread? :dunno:

Politics / general chat moderator required then, any offers? :)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I was aware that my use of the word "lie" might have been an issue - though I'd like to think that you and I (and most other General Chat posters) are used to a bit of vigorous debate/disagreement without that being a problem.

I was wondering who "Warren Ted" was there.....thought it was a new super-strict Mod brought in to substitute for Webbo...... "warranted" lol

Warren Ted is moose’s new alter ego.

12 minutes ago, Mark said:

Politics / general chat moderator required then, any offers? :)

lol

Sort of Catch 22, that.....

I spend far too much time arguing about politics in FT General Chat.....then am left bereft as the thread is closed down.....then the prospect is dangled of the thread returning.....but only if some unspecified person agrees to spend an even greater amount of time overseeing arguments about politics in General Chat. lol

Sorry, but I'm too selfish, Mark. But I'm sure that a less selfish person will emerge to offer their services....

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Where are you @Buce ?

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

Really?

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Hope he's OK. 

Think he said he was getting in some serious training for some big hike coming up so presumed he was out and about a lot putting in a few miles with his backpack on ...   he’ll be back soon ..   :thumbup:

Very late 50’s I think Muzzett !!   :D

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Think he said he was getting in some serious training for some big hike coming up so presumed he was out and about a lot putting in a few miles with his backpack on ...   he’ll be back soon ..   :thumbup:

Very late 50’s I think Muzzett !!   :D

Actually I've just noticed he's still making predictions on the Superbru predictor league, so he's alive and well :thumbup:

• Like 2