Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Writing

Curious if there’s any FTers out there who’s into writing?

I mean it could be anything - blogging, travel, journalism, creative writing etc. Any discipline for any platform. Could be at any stage too - you might just have a shitton of notes and not know what to do with them or have something written and need advice on publishing/producing.

I’ve written 3 screenplays and am determined to get into the industry this year. So I thought I’d start this thread to see if there’s anyone else who writes anything and could do with a thread for encouragement or distraction.

Cheers.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Curious if there’s any FTers out there who’s into writing?

I mean it could be anything - blogging, travel, journalism, creative writing etc. Any discipline for any platform. Could be at any stage too - you might just have a shitton of notes and not know what to do with them or have something written and need advice on publishing/producing.

I’ve written 3 screenplays and am determined to get into the industry this year. So I thought I’d start this thread to see if there’s anyone else who writes anything and could do with a thread for encouragement or distraction.

Cheers.

Just what writers need, another thread and reason to procrastinate! :ph34r:

A big part of my job is to copywrite. I write scripts and treatments pretty much every day.

I've also made short films in the past, although more in a production or directorial capacity.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'd ever get around to penning a screenplay. I'm spread too thinly across my various half-arsed hobbies to commit wholly to it. 

Ever had any interest in your work? 

• Like 1

Lots of different projects in progress and I've written blog entries for a small US spacetravel-related foundation, but only one really big project completed, a nonfiction manuscript. Wouldn't mind trying to publish it but I'v been sitting on it for years between editing-related procrastination and insecurity at thinking it's not worth publishing because everyone will think it's shit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Just what writers need, another thread and reason to procrastinate! :ph34r:

A big part of my job is to copywrite. I write scripts and treatments pretty much every day.

I've also made short films in the past, although more in a production or directorial capacity.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'd ever get around to penning a screenplay. I'm spread too thinly across my various half-arsed hobbies to commit wholly to it. 

Ever had any interest in your work? 

I desperately need to procrasitnate right now! Short breaks help me get back to work!

I’ve entered a few competitions but not really had much success there (but then there’s so many entries they only read the first 10 pages). I entered ScriptShadow’s top 250 amateur scripts competition 3 years ago (screenwriting blogger) and made the ‘almost top 25’ list (mine’s called Itchy Feet). I’ve got a few more script ideas up my sleeve but I want to actually make stuff before I do them. (Hoping to get involved with some shorts this year too)

Preparing a submission for tomorrow to a BAFTA competition, so I’m having to find my best 10 pages and edit the shit out of them while also writing a treatment (which I find terrifying).

I suppose that’s why I opened the thread up for all disciplines - I love writing in script format but have no desire/competence writing prose!

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I desperately need to procrasitnate right now! Short breaks help me get back to work!

I’ve entered a few competitions but not really had much success there (but then there’s so many entries they only read the first 10 pages). I entered ScriptShadow’s top 250 amateur scripts competition 3 years ago (screenwriting blogger) and made the ‘almost top 25’ list (mine’s called Itchy Feet). I’ve got a few more script ideas up my sleeve but I want to actually make stuff before I do them. (Hoping to get involved with some shorts this year too)

Preparing a submission for tomorrow to a BAFTA competition, so I’m having to find my best 10 pages and edit the shit out of them while also writing a treatment (which I find terrifying).

I suppose that’s why I opened the thread up for all disciplines - I love writing in script format but have no desire/competence writing prose!

Nice one, man. 

I think competitions are a great way to stimulate creativity and encourage people to actually put their stuff out there, rather than just sit on it.

A group of friends and I do the 48hr Sci-Fi challenge. A couple of years ago we got to the final 10, but lost out at the final showcase. If you're a quick, creative scriptwriter, then it's great to get involved in - you need to be able to work with a basic brief but it's fun. For a team to write, shoot and edit a film in 48 hours is quite the task.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Lots of different projects in progress and I've written blog entries for a small US spacetravel-related foundation, but only one really big project completed, a nonfiction manuscript. Wouldn't mind trying to publish it but I'v been sitting on it for years between editing-related procrastination and insecurity at thinking it's not worth publishing because everyone will think it's shit.

That sounds epic! I personally feel that time away from a project can be a good thing as hopefully the ideas percolate in your brain and develop without you realising, then  (in theory) you can come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes to improve it.

The trick is finding the right people to read it to help move the project forward, especially if you’ve been stuck on it for quite a while. 

• Like 2

Write quite regularly in respect of compliance issues for the company I work for and external publications.

My experience on techinical blogs / content I've produced:

Dont get too many people to review your work but definitely get someone to give it a once over.

Double checking sources is key.

If you are researching a topic with little in the way of hard information, be wary of a lot of articles online just copying each other's content. 

Just because one (more senior) person's writing style differs to yours, it doesnt mean their approach is the correct one and yours is incorrect.

Good luck to all the writers on here, whatever your capacity.

On 19/02/2019 at 19:21, Nalis said:

Write quite regularly in respect of compliance issues for the company I work for and external publications.

My experience on techinical blogs / content I've produced:

Dont get too many people to review your work but definitely get someone to give it a once over.

Double checking sources is key.

If you are researching a topic with little in the way of hard information, be wary of a lot of articles online just copying each other's content. 

Just because one (more senior) person's writing style differs to yours, it doesnt mean their approach is the correct one and yours is incorrect.

Good luck to all the writers on here, whatever your capacity.

In my experience anyone can be good to ask to proof read but for proper critiques, don’t give it to people who actually like you, or who you like, especially if they’re not in your line of work. They’ll either feel pressure to be too positive and therefore not really be helpful, or they’ll be overly critical which again won’t really help you!

• 2 months later...
On 19/02/2019 at 13:35, Trav Le Bleu said:

Right now I'm working on a short (25 mins) film for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. My wife is profoundly deaf, so it's a black and white, silent film noir comedy. Almost finished shooting with the help of friends and family, it's been fun and stressful in equal measure.

But apart from that, I haven't a creative bone in my body.

That 25 minute film I mentioned... it clocked in at 47 mins in the end. Took around 10 hours to film and 50 hours to edit (at least!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I write a fair bit but it’s mainly talking about cocks and swearing on here to be honest.

You sound over qualified to finish off Game of Thrones. 

Maybe you've got a million dollar episode in you. 

Not bitter at all.

• Haha 1