Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Writing

The wonderful Mrs Oz is a writer.

She has won a number of awards/competitions and has had a few plays and one act monologues performed in the fringe etc.

Has never been profitable, but some wonderful stories with great characters and positive themes.

edit

She has just completed a novel/partial autobiography, as others mentioned the trick is finding people to read and offer honest, relevant  and useful criticism.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 4

I have a creative writing BA and MA and am currently working in a sort of related capacity but not in the one I'd like.

I've had plenty of ideas down the years but I procrastinate. I have ideas for stories and novels. I'd also like to get into writing for the screen, big or small, but I have no experience with that sort of thing and, although I have ideas, again, I procrastinate.

It's nice to see a thread about this as I need the encouragement to start again. My downfall is that the editing process usually ends up in abandoning the project altogether.

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I have a creative writing BA and MA and am currently working in a sort of related capacity but not in the one I'd like.

I've had plenty of ideas down the years but I procrastinate. I have ideas for stories and novels. I'd also like to get into writing for the screen, big or small, but I have no experience with that sort of thing and, although I have ideas, again, I procrastinate.

It's nice to see a thread about this as I need the encouragement to start again. My downfall is that the editing process usually ends up in abandoning the project altogether.

I understand the biggest reason people dont succeed as writers is... they dont write.

Keep going, try to find a writers group and have people read and feedback as much as you can is all i can recommend having seen it from the slight outside.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I’m looking at doing a Masters in screenwriting, would you recommend doing something like that?

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’m looking at doing a Masters in screenwriting, would you recommend doing something like that?

My masters involved fiction and poetry, but there was a lot of open discussion and critique on all students' work, which was brilliant and constructive. It also opened up other opportunities: I got to run writing workshops for top set year nine kids and also for postgrad students of other disciplines with a friend on my course, and we as a cohort wrote, edited and self-published an anthology of short stories, which was great.

I don't know what a masters course in screenwriting would involve in comparison to that, but I'd say it's likely to be of benefit as there will be so many things you can take advantage of as a result. Hope that helps mate :thumbup:

21 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I understand the biggest reason people dont succeed as writers is... they dont write.

Keep going, try to find a writers group and have people read and feedback as much as you can is all i can recommend having seen it from the slight outside.

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Yeah I certainly need that push just to get going again. I guess I need to make it become a habit because then I'll feel guilty if I ever procrastinated instead of doing actual work. Going to a writers group would also give me that reason to get stuff down.

On 22/05/2019 at 20:40, Buce said:

Does anyone have any experience of self-publishing?

I do. Back in the old days before ebooks and nowadays too. The scenarios, options and possibilities are extremely wide ranging so probably better to send me a pm with any questions and I'll tell you whatever I can.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve been published...twice. Both for work

It takes an AGE to get it right...the times it had to be sent back for ‘tweaking’

What you need is some pedantic bastard to proof-read it for you.

No idea where you'd find one of those...

• Haha 2

Same as @ozleicester, my better half is a writer. Written a number of plays and musicals and won some awards. Pretty awesome process to watch, tbh. She's definitely one of those 'conduit' types, where nothing appears to be forced - If it comes then it comes quickly (leave it) and falls into place.

Bit annoying, tbh :mad:   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Long story short, I joined an amateur filmmaking group in town last month, right in time for the screenwriting challenge.

One month later I now have 4 short scripts under my belt where before I had **** all.

They're only 6 pages long, as that was what the challenge limited us to, but it's still work that wouldn't have existed before and has been really well received!

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

If there’s anybody looking for some short articles to be published on a variety of topics, I may have some opportunities arising in the coming months. Won’t be paid sadly, just guest pieces to add to a CV if people want to enhance their publications list. If peeps want to express an interest, PM me with the sort of stuff you are interested in writing about - but I’m unable to give publication name and article briefs or any real details as of yet until things are finalised!