Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City involved in talks that could reshape European football

I realise the concept of a euro league is to exclude the likes of us, who don't have a commercial value.

However, in theory, I'd quite fancy playing in a genuine promotion/relegation euro league. We'd probably be third tier (not that a third tier would he created).....playing celtic, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Anderlecht, Bordeaux. Valencia....

Yes please!

40 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I realise the concept of a euro league is to exclude the likes of us, who don't have a commercial value.

However, in theory, I'd quite fancy playing in a genuine promotion/relegation euro league. We'd probably be third tier (not that a third tier would he created).....playing celtic, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Anderlecht, Bordeaux. Valencia....

Yes please!

At the expense of the premier league ??  Which would have far fewer weekend fixtures and many midweek ones ?  Really ??

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Yes please!

Ew, no.

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Its all about international fans and tv subscriptions. Rich get richer. Filling a 30k stadium is meh if you can tap into millions worldwide willing to spend.

They will want the stadiums to be full for atmosphere- it could be that the cost of watching the games live will drop significantly as a consequence.  

still not interested (unless we are in the top league of course !!! ) 

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They will want the stadiums to be full for atmosphere- it could be that the cost of watching the games live will drop significantly as a consequence.  

No chance, media is where they make their money. Its bread and butter. Perhaps stadiums will drop prices to suck the fans in for atmosphere  reasons (like you mentioned).

Having said that, hearing the words "drop prices"  doesnt seem to hit me when it comes to football.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

This is only partially true I fear. no great advert if the stadium is half full.  That said this too can be manipulated. A half full stadium can still be made to sound like its rocking simply by the judicious placing of a few microphones and turning up the volume.  This is already done. I have watched several games broadcast from KP where, especially against the so called bigger clubs, it is obvious that the sound track has been manipulated to appear that the majority of the singing/chanting is coming from a handful of away fans rather than the overall noise of the whole stadium.  Yes I know that sometimes the away support can be vocal (the travelling blue army have proven that on occasion too) but it is so obvious when it is all you can hear on the TV. (you never hear the chants of SKY is Cr*p either). failing this they will just do what your average tv sitcom does and overlay canned soundtracks.  This is how they perpetuate the myth that the so called "big" clubs have a massive following home and away and that everyone is there just to watch them as it is in their (sky et al) own interest to promote the moneybags clubs and generate audiences on the back of this.

25 minutes ago, urban fox said:

This is only partially true I fear. no great advert if the stadium is half full.  That said this too can be manipulated. A half full stadium can still be made to sound like its rocking simply by the judicious placing of a few microphones and turning up the volume.  This is already done. I have watched several games broadcast from KP where, especially against the so called bigger clubs, it is obvious that the sound track has been manipulated to appear that the majority of the singing/chanting is coming from a handful of away fans rather than the overall noise of the whole stadium.  Yes I know that sometimes the away support can be vocal (the travelling blue army have proven that on occasion too) but it is so obvious when it is all you can hear on the TV. (you never hear the chants of SKY is Cr*p either). failing this they will just do what your average tv sitcom does and overlay canned soundtracks.  This is how they perpetuate the myth that the so called "big" clubs have a massive following home and away and that everyone is there just to watch them as it is in their (sky et al) own interest to promote the moneybags clubs and generate audiences on the back of this.

all valid points but areas of empty seating look crap and it’s tough to cover that issue up unless the ground has idiosyncrasies which allow it on tv 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

all valid points but areas of empty seating look crap and it’s tough to cover that issue up unless the ground has idiosyncrasies which allow it on tv 

Which made the Spanish and Germany top flight scrap Monday evening fixtures when supporters were boycotting, disrupting games or leave huge blocks of the stadium empty. It’s not a good look and very difficult to sell to wider markets. 

These plans for Agnelli and the big clubs are a dig at footballing culture. They can go ahead if they like but don’t expect the fans to turn up in huge numbers 

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48534031

Meanwhile, the Premier League and seven leading Spanish sides have reiterated their opposition to the proposal to a radical restructure of European club football.

Championed by Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, the idea is to replace Uefa's current club competitions with a three-tier structure that incorporates promotion and relegation - a move that would limit the number of Champions League slots available to new entrants via domestic competition.

This would also involve increasing the number of games that Champions League teams play against each other by moving to four groups of eight - which many domestic leagues believe could only be achieved by playing European games at weekends.