Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City involved in talks that could reshape European football

Well, Ajax and Celtic are pushing UEFA for a change so that they should not have to go through so many ECL qualifying rounds each year because they are massive and feel they are disadvantaged, so why not jump on any rolling band-wagon that can make us more cash.   But bollooks to playing European Club matches at weekends and fully fledged Super Leagues.

18 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Would seem extremely naive on the club's part if they genuinely think that's what this is all about. There's nothing wrong with ambition, but trying to be part of a group which effectively wants to pull up the drawbridge on clubs like us isn't a good look.

There's still nothing to lose by being there and hearing what is being offered and discussed. The club may well come away thinking they don't want to be a part of it, they may have questions they want to ask etc. but probably better to be there and hear what's being discussed first hand.

We need to establish ourselves as a top six side before we get ambition mixed up with ability. No one is going to take any notice of us in our present position. One season in champions league football doesn't buy you a say in the future or European football. We have no muscle at present. Just concentrate on achieving what the owners have said right from the start a continuous top-six finish that establishes us in the minds of the media and football in general and gets us the respect to then go on and be part of any future discussions.

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Other clubs must be looking at this and thinking 'What the hell are  Leicester doing in there?'

Given that Santa Coloma of Andorra and the New Saints of Wales have representatives are there...I think an awful lot is being read into this. 

The list of clubs attending is huge - https://www.ecaeurope.com/eca-members/?page=1

The ECA is equally about attempting to compensate as much as it is about the guys at the top dominating. It won't be the CL conversations will be taking interest in but instead how Europa League/the proposed Europa League 2 is going to be shaped. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Given that Santa Coloma of Andorra and the New Saints of Wales have representatives are there...I think an awful lot is being read into this. 

The list of clubs attending is huge - https://www.ecaeurope.com/eca-members/?page=1

The ECA is equally about attempting to compensate as much as it is about the guys at the top dominating. It won't be the CL conversations will be taking interest in but instead how Europa League/the proposed Europa League 2 is going to be shaped. 

Ok fair enough. 

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Although you're kind of right, it was never all that pure. 

Yeah I have to agree there I don’t think football has ever been totally pure has it?but it has gradually been overshadowed with one thing or another and now it seems to be rule after rule and ridiculous amounts of money etc etc it’s a real shame.i think the worst is the diving my nephew came round the other day for a kick about and he kept tripping over nothing.so I said to him “what you doing dude” he said “I’ve seen them all do it on the telly so I’m doing what they do”I was gobsmacked.

10 minutes ago, lcfc matt said:

Yeah I have to agree there I don’t think football has ever been totally pure has it?but it has gradually been overshadowed with one thing or another and now it seems to be rule after rule and ridiculous amounts of money etc etc it’s a real shame.i think the worst is the diving my nephew came round the other day for a kick about and he kept tripping over nothing.so I said to him “what you doing dude” he said “I’ve seen them all do it on the telly so I’m doing what they do”I was gobsmacked.

Blimey - a 7 year old watching telly. Proper old-school that!

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

To be fair my reply wasn’t supposed to be so targeted. 

I think the Mercury’s title of the article doesn’t frame the situation well

No - wasn't being sarky - didn't realise all that other stuff was going on...

• Like 1

On 26/03/2019 at 11:34, TheUltimateWinner said:

Yeah this don't sit right with me, you shouldn't be able to buy success and create your own breakaway league, which correct me if I'm wrong seems like this is. 

Absolutely right but this was always going to happen. The clubs are viewing this from a purely selfish and business like way and completely disregarding the reason they have that much money to begin with.

In their opinion, their "product" is more valuable than the other 86 league clubs. What they'll eventually do is implode. This greed will ruin football.

Edited by Gamble92
Spelling

1 hour ago, lcfc matt said:

Goodness me. 

Your essential point is right though. Money has always been the prime mover, it's just so very blatant now that the stakes are that much higher. 

What it means is that TV and the oligarchs etc can screw the game up in a heartbeat, it's their toy. I'm afraid that the vast majority of us are just collateral really, whether we like it or not. I hate it, but can do nothing about it other than to stay as sane as possible. 

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Must admit this does change what I said a lot. I stand by what I said and still think that part of the game still exists but maybe we aren't a problem here.

6 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Other clubs must be looking at this and thinking 'What the hell are  Leicester doing in there?'

In addition two thoughts occur;

If it ever happened you can bet we  wouldn't be part of it

It's never going to happen.

Despite received opinion, there never was a time when money and football were not intimately related. And when chairmen were not looking to screw as much as possible from it. 

This old chestnut comes up every 2 or 3 years and has done throughput my (somewhat lengthy) recollection.

Like flying cars or hotels on the moon, it's a vision of tomorrow by people of limited intelligence who think they're being all futuristic.

It's a dumb idea - always has been - and does us absolutely no favours by being associated with it in any way.

The only difference was they were local businessmen who only put money  into clubs as loans with a decent return. Stadiums were in the most part shite with minimal facilities, players were like "tied" workers.

Of course we appear to have yang to that yin the only people still worst off are the fans although facilities have improved massively we're fleeced at every point and are treated like 2nd class citizens with the restrictions on us although sadly mostly self inflicted by a stupid minority.

Aren't the elite of the top national leagues 'untouchable' as they seem to be, already - in terms of alleged illegal activity, taking future star prospects away from smaller clubs via 'tapping up' amongst other conversial matters within?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Look how bad lot changes have got Aswell.changing every season when I was at school a lot would last 3 seasons now a shirt is old after one season and at £55 a shirt it’s a massive business.its sad but as you say it can’t be changed we love the game and have to go along with it.sorry I seem to of gone off subject and forgive the moaning but it’s hard to watch the game I’ve loved for so many years get ruined by money.but I’ve always said money is the route of all evil it literally controls everything!

On 26/03/2019 at 22:47, lcfc matt said:

Football sadly isn’t about the game anymore it’s all based about money and that’s become so sad to see.when I was a kid there were never these ridiculous transfer fees and clubs being brought for millions of pounds clubs were owned by people who cared about the club not some random businessman/women looking to make some extra money.we all know money speaks volumes and it is ruining the game and the smaller clubs don’t get a look in anymore sadly.i miss the good old football days when I was pure football nothing else! 

Imagine a scenario having an owner that wants to make profit AND also cares...

Imagine if this smaller club ripped up the script and won the league...

Makes me miss the Shipman days.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

Imagine a scenario having an owner that wants to make profit AND also cares...

Imagine if this smaller club ripped up the script and won the league...

Makes me miss the Shipman days.

Whilst I agree with you look at the negatives that came with our league win we now have fickle fans that get the hump week in week out when we lose our don’t get results because they now want that glory again.it was a glorious feeling and one I will never forget but some people now expect too much from our club because of that amazing season.sadly the premier league is too hard to break into the top 4 without major money which we have but I’m not sure we have the backing to compete with the likes of Man City,Chelsea and Man Utd.and I don’t mean financially I mean attracting big players from majour clubs don’t get me wrong tielemans is a step in the right direction but realistically could we seriously mount a title challenge again with the likes of Liverpool and Man City the way they are playing at the moment they are playing some amazing football.we are so so lucky to have the owners we do and I thank the stars every day not many teams are as lucky as us to have owners like ours.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2019 at 11:08, lcfc matt said:

DHOTYA

• Haha 1

On 27/03/2019 at 18:01, Wymeswold fox said:

Aren't the elite of the top national leagues 'untouchable' as they seem to be, already - in terms of alleged illegal activity, taking future star prospects away from smaller clubs via 'tapping up' amongst other conversial matters within?

ILLEGAL 

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Pretty much you are a disgrace lying about your nephew. You want some ? 

Oh well I couldn’t care less what he thinks if I’m honest and the fact he had to write that in short hand proves he doesn’t have the intelligence to write it all out in full wording.as for me apparently making it up he’s clearly got nothing better to do in his empty life than to sh#t stir.so he can think what he likes.

Just now, lcfc matt said:

Oh well I couldn’t care less what he thinks if I’m honest and the fact he had to write that in short hand proves he doesn’t have the intelligence to write it all out in full wording.as for me apparently making it up he’s clearly got nothing better to do in his empty life than to sh#t stir.so he can think what he likes.

Perfect starting line, stop taking bullshit Matt. 

Empty life 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Perfect starting line, stop taking bullshit Matt. 

Empty life 

Dude jog on I came on here to talk football not listen to your nonsense stop being an arse and go try and winde someone else up.im sick of arseholes on here that constantly nitpick at peoples comments.if you want to argue with people go and sign up to a Spurs or arsenal forum or something as I don’t need your bullshit.the world is full of clowns as it is.