Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City involved in talks that could reshape European football

City are members of the European Club Association, who have been meeting in Amsterdam

ByRob TannerLeicester City Editor
19:00, 25 MAR 2019

Leicester City have been involved in talks that could shape the landscape of European football in the coming years.

City are members of the European Club Association, who have been meeting this week in Amsterdam to discuss proposals to changes to the format of European competitions and a proposal from FIFA president Gianni Infantino for a global club competition.

The ECA, which includes membership from Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Newcastle United, have been discussing how European football will change going forward, along with a proposal for a Champions League 2.

City have stated in their annual financial reports how their ambition is to break into the top six of the Premier League and compete again in European football.

The ECA’s 22nd general assembly concludes its meetings tomorrow and on the agenda are possible changes to the Champions League and Europa League from 2024 onward, as well as the launch of UEFA’s third club competition, the so-called Europa League 2, from 2021-22, which could see European football opened up to more clubs.

How the prize money is shared out could also change as there are proposals to create a coefficient, which would see clubs with a history of European competition qualify for more prize money than clubs new to the competitions.

City’s coefficient has been boosted by reaching the Champions League quarter finals two years ago, but under the proposals they may not have received the same amount of prize money, believed to be around £70 million. 
There has been much speculation about the Champions League talks, particularly as the ECA's 15-strong executive board met UEFA in Nyon last week, but both parties issued near-identical statements after that, saying it was an ‘informal brainstorming session’ and the ‘first of a series of meetings amongst stakeholders in the months ahead.’

The ECA are opposed to Infantino’s proposal for a club World Cup, which could see 24 teams from around the world compete, eight of them from Europe, in a competition that will last from June 17 to July 4 from 2021 and have been backed by UEFA, but the idea seems popular with other federations.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-involved-talks-could-2684422

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

Same here. If anything it should be the opposite. Lower ranked teams should recieve greater financial rewards for reaching further in the competition as it would be a much bigger achievement than the bigger, already cash rich footballing superpowers reaching the latter stages yet again.

Everything is geared towards the rich super clubs. 

I think as fans we know where we've come from in the last 10 years but it seems the club don't.

If I had to try to put a positive spin on this, then we would want the likes of Leicester City at a meeting like this as a counter-balance the clubs that would greatly benefit immediately from such a coefficient system being put into place.

However, I'm sure there's more than enough self-interest for our board (more qualification spots, more prize money, etc) here anyway.

Here are some reports about the potential changes being discussed: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/17/champions-league-proposals-could-see-introduction-weekend-matches/

While not exactly the breakaway Super League that was once feared, these are still major changes in their own rights. I'm amazed that this piecemeal approach to changing continental competitions (while FIFA also tries to adapt and put in their own measures to get in on the business) hasn't lead to a complete blowing up of the game as we know it--I thought Qatar 2022 was going to kick off a civil war of sorts between the big power players. Maybe things will just keep moving little by little, and eventually, the Champions League truly crosses the line from de facto Super League (4 spots for the top 4 essentially means qualification is guaranteed for the likes of Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus every year) to de jure Super League after many incremental moves before people even realize it. They'll do it under the Champions League banner, too, instead of creating a new name because of how powerful the "brand" is.

• Like 2

The issue with european football is that its pretty anonymous in the far east and the states as not live..  i expect you will see a drift towards 'European weekends' and there will be more domestic league games midweek. that isn't going to play out well with the premier league but the big six may see it as a way for them to take a bigger piece of the overall tv money on offer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

It's like the club are trying to hang out with the school bullies just because we managed to beat up a wimpy kid once. Totally out of step with the mentality that made our success so great in the first place.

I don't read it like that, I just read it as the club being proactive in exploring potential avenues to try and establish itself as a successful club going forwards, they haven't signed anything, only stated that they want to break into the top 6 and play European football, which every club in the football league outside the top 6 want to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smr said:

I don't read it like that, I just read it as the club being proactive in exploring potential avenues to try and establish itself as a successful club going forwards, they haven't signed anything, only stated that they want to break into the top 6 and play European football, which every club in the football league outside the top 6 want to do. 

Would seem extremely naive on the club's part if they genuinely think that's what this is all about. There's nothing wrong with ambition, but trying to be part of a group which effectively wants to pull up the drawbridge on clubs like us isn't a good look.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Don't like that bit.

It's laughable how anyone could support such nonsense. It completely eradicates the fabric of sport in general.

Infantino is every bit as bad as Blatter. Largely gets away with it because he's not quite as eccentric a character.

• Like 3

Football sadly isn’t about the game anymore it’s all based about money and that’s become so sad to see.when I was a kid there were never these ridiculous transfer fees and clubs being brought for millions of pounds clubs were owned by people who cared about the club not some random businessman/women looking to make some extra money.we all know money speaks volumes and it is ruining the game and the smaller clubs don’t get a look in anymore sadly.i miss the good old football days when I was pure football nothing else! 

6 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

This is what's wrong with football.

It would be much better if they were there discussing a cap on Fees and Salaries.I

So as the smaller Clubs have a chance to compete.

I understand your point. Do you mean that players have limits to the amount of money they can make while the wealthy club owners can make whatever the market will bear?

Thing is I get football is about the money now and that's something people will have to reluctantly accept, but this is just outright undermining the whole fabric of football to create a closed shop which surely in the long run will actually put the majority of people off?

When you're killing the concept of competition, what is the point? Those who lose know they've got next to no chance and those who win cannot possibly take any satisfaction out of winning effectively rigged football either. It'll feel like how we do when England beat San Marino. A win but ultimately a procession. Who ultimately enjoys England v San Marino? Neither side. Yet this is going to encourage more and more of that.

I get wanting to make money, regardless of if I agree with the methods that lead to that but this is actually a cancer on the sport that'll eat away at it.

Half of me wants this European 'super' League so we can drain the sport of the parasites that support such shite.

Edited by Dan LCFC

9 hours ago, lcfc matt said:

Football sadly isn’t about the game anymore it’s all based about money and that’s become so sad to see.when I was a kid there were never these ridiculous transfer fees and clubs being brought for millions of pounds clubs were owned by people who cared about the club not some random businessman/women looking to make some extra money.we all know money speaks volumes and it is ruining the game and the smaller clubs don’t get a look in anymore sadly.i miss the good old football days when I was pure football nothing else! 

Although you're kind of right, it was never all that pure. 

Other clubs must be looking at this and thinking 'What the hell are  Leicester doing in there?'

In addition two thoughts occur;

If it ever happened you can bet we  wouldn't be part of it

It's never going to happen.

Despite received opinion, there never was a time when money and football were not intimately related. And when chairmen were not looking to screw as much as possible from it. 

This old chestnut comes up every 2 or 3 years and has done throughput my (somewhat lengthy) recollection.

Like flying cars or hotels on the moon, it's a vision of tomorrow by people of limited intelligence who think they're being all futuristic.

It's a dumb idea - always has been - and does us absolutely no favours by being associated with it in any way.

• Like 1