Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

80s away days

On 08/04/2019 at 18:28, Vlad the Fox said:

I remember getting off the supporter coach at Blackburn in a pub car park and the coppers basically told us to go in for a drink. I was too young and an anorak so went to the ground to read the programme and sample the atmosphere of an empty Ewood park lol 

Yes I remember that too, copper came on coach 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 20:00, Stuntman_Mike said:

Whilst I wasn't around in the 80's , I can only imagine how much the match day experience has changed. 

It's staggering enough thinking back to my first away game and that was only 2004. 

you did not need membership,then you turn up at small shed front of filbert street and buy a ticket, for home games

On 08/04/2019 at 20:14, smudger63 said:

I was there, kept us in for ages after the game, while the Boro fans decided to show the local coppers how pissed off they were!!

yes I was in a seat, and had the pleasure, I waiting out side while the mount police cleared their fans before they started a riot, great  Gary Mac goal, he was a class act

On 10/04/2019 at 11:16, bss9401 said:

Anyone go to Cov away in 1984? We lost 2-0 but our fans invaded the pitch several times and there were around 3-400 Leicester fans in their end. This is no exaggeration as it was reported in the paper later (the Mercury actually reported 6-700).  Inevitably it went off big time with the home fans dispersing, seats were ripped out and the game stopped. I recall being forced into the pitch myself because of the surge of fans trying to get at them. Leicester fans then attacked two of their stands. It was kicking off around the ground and in the city pre and post match. I met up with some Hinckley lads in Leicester the following night who were a big part of it and they were incredibly proud of themselves. It was the worst situation that I'd ever been caught up in. Hinckley, Cov and Leicester papers were all over it but neither us nor Cov were banned. It is a measure of how that sort of thing was almost expected and accepted in those times.

I recall Steve Lynex taking the corner flag off a pitch invader who was about to recreate a scene from Zulu.

Guest bss9401
8 hours ago, pleatout said:

I recall Steve Lynex taking the corner flag off a pitch invader who was about to recreate a scene from Zulu.

Quite right. A particularly crazy day in turbulent times.

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2020 at 18:42, Mok said:

Good old Ant, Banbury afterwards was mental

Hello mate, I live in Banbury but originally from Newcastle. A locals perspective of the evenings 'entertainment'. All of the lads out that night didn't support Oxford. We supported multiple clubs, but always came together. Both on a Saturday morning at the station- and later in The Wheatsheaf when we got home. It's amazing in a world without mobiles how an entire pub full of lads knew 3 coaches of Leicester had stopped in Banbury. The rest is history, and as you say pretty mental. You had the numbers but we had the local knowledge so a draw was probably a fair result. The OB locked you behind the gates in the White Lion but there was a back way in..... From then mayhem, but all respect! :-)   

Edited by bpletts

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/02/2020 at 17:00, Blueman1967 said:

Yes I remember that too, copper came on coach 

The supporter's club bus was the main introduction to away games for 14/15 year olds. 

Away games were strictly verboten by my mum and dad, 100% convinced I'd be stabbed to death. So I'd have to go to the midweek supporters club darts night held in the main stand. Queue at a desk ran by Linda Ginetta, pay my fiver for a bus ticket. Wait for ages as forms were filled in and raffle tickets torn out all very homespun....then on Saturday mornings sneak off early to get the bus into town to pick up the supporter's club bus (full of either kids like me or nerds) at Humberstone Gate. Knowing an absolute shitstorm awaited me at home when I'd get back late Saturday night. Happy days!

After that, you'd progress to football specials, then eventually you'd be old enough to know someone with a car...then finally the ultimate in away day lad confirmation was private mini bus or transit van. Not for the faint of heart!

• Like 2

On 16/03/2020 at 06:00, bpletts said:

Hello mate, I live in Banbury but originally from Newcastle. A locals perspective of the evenings 'entertainment'. All of the lads out that night didn't support Oxford. We supported multiple clubs, but always came together. Both on a Saturday morning at the station- and later in The Wheatsheaf when we got home. It's amazing in a world without mobiles how an entire pub full of lads knew 3 coaches of Leicester had stopped in Banbury. The rest is history, and as you say pretty mental. You had the numbers but we had the local knowledge so a draw was probably a fair result. The OB locked you behind the gates in the White Lion but there was a back way in..... From then mayhem, but all respect! :-)   

Yes that’s right we were drinking and they shut the gates, and we got out another way. I was on a minibus , never forget it , we  were a bit confused as to who you were , some West Ham mixed in. Was a proper tear up early evening. 

A few came the year after, very few , I was in a car this time and it broke down in car park in the centre, loads of your lads started to surround us , the bonnets was up and it started up just at the right time as you all made a charge , our driver drove straight at you and we got away as we were the last ones leaving 

• 1 year later...
On 09/02/2020 at 14:18, Blueman1967 said:

yes I was in a seat, and had the pleasure, I waiting out side while the mount police cleared their fans before they started a riot, great  Gary Mac goal, he was a class act

Yeah we were there too. McAllister was a brilliant player. One of my all time Leicester faves 

• Like 1

Always remember beating Middlesborough to stop them going up automatically in last game of season then having to wait for a hour before they let us out then having bricks thrown at the coach on the way out of Middlesborough. ****ing brilliant loved going away from the mid 80s in generally it was fun

On 10/04/2019 at 11:16, bss9401 said:

Anyone go to Cov away in 1984? We lost 2-0 but our fans invaded the pitch several times and there were around 3-400 Leicester fans in their end. This is no exaggeration as it was reported in the paper later (the Mercury actually reported 6-700).  Inevitably it went off big time with the home fans dispersing, seats were ripped out and the game stopped. I recall being forced into the pitch myself because of the surge of fans trying to get at them. Leicester fans then attacked two of their stands. It was kicking off around the ground and in the city pre and post match. I met up with some Hinckley lads in Leicester the following night who were a big part of it and they were incredibly proud of themselves. It was the worst situation that I'd ever been caught up in. Hinckley, Cov and Leicester papers were all over it but neither us nor Cov were banned. It is a measure of how that sort of thing was almost expected and accepted in those times.

I was IN the home stand with the lads. Proper tear up in there. Lot of anger that day due to one of our boys getting badly cut up. 

80’s were far more naughty than the 00’s.