Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

80s away days

4 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

I was there that day along with approx 8000 other LCFC fans. Great memories of one of my best ever away days. Ranks alongside Orient away, last game of the season three years earlier. :scarf:

Was there that day ,brilliant, remember Malcom Macdonald getting well mardy cause we caught em .

• Like 1

Guest bss9401
On 31/01/2020 at 18:39, l444ry said:

Back on topic, how many were at this game in 1983?

Yes, I was there and it remains one of my all time favourites, especially as I'd missed the Orient away win in 1980. I did, however get to the Anfield win in 1981. In those days big away wins were about as good as it got lol.

On 31/01/2020 at 18:39, l444ry said:

Back on topic, how many were at this game in 1983?

Can’t remember why I went though ... i didn’t do that many games that season as was away at college and money was v tight - was it a ticket or did you just pay on the day ?  I recall most games back then were pay on the day standing although I was sat down that day ...

On 09/04/2019 at 21:09, AylestoneRaider said:

I’ve always heard the stories of the estates fighting each other in the Kop. Braunstone was always the most feared part of town back in my old man’s era - going back to the 50’s

Saff and the monsell used to fight on the buses after every game. Remember at the Fulham away, city vans tipped the burger van upside down with the bloke still in it

Edited by Claridge

40 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can’t remember why I went though ... i didn’t do that many games that season as was away at college and money was v tight - was it a ticket or did you just pay on the day ?  I recall most games back then were pay on the day standing although I was sat down that day ...

I remember going with a mate. Train down, stood behind the goal along with about 8,000+ City followers. 

That Fulham game was my first big away day. I'd been to a few others that season and the one before, but nothing with a following like that.

My memory says it was on Match of the Day but I must be wrong about that as it was a second division match, so maybe it was the Sunday ITV version. Was it called 'Star Soccer'?

Whatever channel it was on I can just about remember seeing myself behind the goal. I was easy to spot as I always wore an Italian army jacket in them days, very cool I think! 

Edited by PaddyS

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

You probably went because we were on a great run of form and hunting Fulham down in the promotion race. Huge win. I paid on the day. Good old days! Except for the fear of violence being inflicted upon you! Not at this match though.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I was sat down that day as well, can't remember why, always stood. Maybe getting tickets was difficult that particular game. 

Watford away, Muzzy scoring was a good day out, although I was well into my 40's by then. 

Unfortunately not many on here will remember the away days in the 60's, so pointless recounting. 

However, my one big regret is missing the Anfield replay when Shiltz saved that penalty. I still have the newspapers cuttings with pictures from behind the goal of the penalty save! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, onekeithweller said:

You probably went because we were on a great run of form and hunting Fulham down in the promotion race. Huge win. I paid on the day. Good old days! Except for the fear of violence being inflicted upon you! Not at this match though.

I have a strange memory that my uncle got me a ticket - hence I was sat in the stand rather than behind the goal .....

Guest Markyblue
11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I have a strange memory that my uncle got me a ticket - hence I was sat in the stand rather than behind the goal .....

Standing behind the goal that day was pay at the gate, the beauty of them days was after a friday at the dilly dally if you weren't to hung over when you woke up you went into town and got the train or jumped on a coach at humberstone gate, happy days.

On 01/02/2020 at 21:08, Blue Fox 72 said:

I was there that day along with approx 8000 other LCFC fans. Great memories of one of my best ever away days. Ranks alongside Orient away, last game of the season three years earlier. :scarf:

I was there

14 hours ago, bss9401 said:

Yes, I was there and it remains one of my all time favourites, especially as I'd missed the Orient away win in 1980. I did, however get to the Anfield win in 1981. In those days big away wins were about as good as it got lol.

Orient is one of my all time favourite seat trips, this one an the game in Div 3.

13 hours ago, Claridge said:

Saff and the monsell used to fight on the buses after every game. Remember at the Fulham away, city vans tipped the burger van upside down with the bloke still in it

It was Orient when a burger van got rolled into a garden.

I was at the Fulham game as well. Probably the most important result  in our fifteen match run that led to promotion. I was there for the first match of that unbeaten streak- cold Tuesday evening in February against Shrewsbury - only about 6,000 fans were there

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 49er said:

I was at the Fulham game as well. Probably the most important result  in our fifteen match run that led to promotion. I was there for the first match of that unbeaten streak- cold Tuesday evening in February against Shrewsbury - only about 6,000 fans were there

I’m certain that I went to an away game at shrewsbury but couldn’t have been that season .......amazing that some of these have gone from my memory ........ eg - I can’t imagine ever forgetting that jan evening at WHL in 2016 ......

On 04/02/2020 at 21:38, BoyJones said:

Unfortunately not many on here will remember the away days in the 60's, so pointless recounting. 

Not pointless at all mate, indulge all you want.

As someone who wasn't around to experience these times, I'm enjoying the stories in this thread.

For me, first game was Boxing Day 86. A 1-1 vs Arsenal.

Memories of the game - none

Memories hearing my old man swear more in 90 mins than I'd heard in 7 years of life, then apologising each time - absolutely priceless

• Like 1

Guest bss9401
5 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

Not pointless at all mate, indulge all you want.

As someone who wasn't around to experience these times, I'm enjoying the stories in this thread.

For me, first game was Boxing Day 86. A 1-1 vs Arsenal.

Memories of the game - none

Memories hearing my old man swear more in 90 mins than I'd heard in 7 years of life, then apologising each time - absolutely priceless

I was at that Arsenal game and I am sure that a massive scrap broke out in the concourse and spread back into the into the seats in the double decker. At the time about a quarter of the DD seats would be given to away fans if they had a decent following. The BS would flood in once the gates opened at the end of the game if the away fans had been causing trouble as they would usually have been sat in the wing stand during the match. 

The Fulham game was on something like The Big Match recently - Malcolm McDonald, their maanger at the time, walks in front of our away end at the start of the game and I can clearly see a 12 year old version of me with burgundy staypress trousers,  white and burgurdy granddad shirt, burgundy jacket and DMs - I think these days you'd say I looked mint! 

I managed to con my dad, he'd had his heart broken in the 60's watching us get to 3 Cup Finals and losing them all of course, into taking me and a mate and I was directly in line with Ian Wilson's winner and our end went absolutely mental. 

The song of the day if I remember correctly was na na na na na na hey hey Leicester City to the Bananarama song? 

It'd still be up there in my top 6 all time aways as it was such a fantastic day and victory for us which all but sealed promotion - late drama at the Derby Fulham game asside.

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

The Fulham game was on something like The Big Match recently - Malcolm McDonald, their maanger at the time, walks in front of our away end at the start of the game and I can clearly see a 12 year old version of me with burgundy staypress trousers,  white and burgurdy granddad shirt, burgundy jacket and DMs - I think these days you'd say I looked mint! 

I managed to con my dad, he'd had his heart broken in the 60's watching us get to 3 Cup Finals and losing them all of course, into taking me and a mate and I was directly in line with Ian Wilson's winner and our end went absolutely mental. 

The song of the day if I remember correctly was na na na na na na hey hey Leicester City to the Bananarama song? 

It'd still be up there in my top 6 all time aways as it was such a fantastic day and victory for us which all but sealed promotion - late drama at the Derby Fulham game asside.

Bring it back

• Like 2

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I’m certain that I went to an away game at shrewsbury but couldn’t have been that season .......amazing that some of these have gone from my memory ........ eg - I can’t imagine ever forgetting that jan evening at WHL in 2016 ......

The Shrewsbury game was at home. I have a feeling that it may have been one of the lowest attendances for a league match in our history

1 hour ago, bss9401 said:

I was at that Arsenal game and I am sure that a massive scrap broke out in the concourse and spread back into the into the seats in the double decker. At the time about a quarter of the DD seats would be given to away fans if they had a decent following. The BS would flood in once the gates opened at the end of the game if the away fans had been causing trouble as they would usually have been sat in the wing stand during the match. 

There was a game in the 80s v arsenal where their away end got a lot thinner as it emptied and their boys were outside the ground. The came round the the family enclosure terrace gate and started throwing things over the gate ....I remember vaguely my dad panicking and hurling me over the white wall onto the dirt track beside the pitch. Panic for him but tremendous buzz for me.