Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

80s away days

On 11/04/2019 at 15:33, Crazy Kop Corner said:

I remember going to The Old Den in about 1991 in the F.A Cup 3rd round. I went with ALF - does anyone remember them?

Tony James scored for us after about 3 minutes. We then held out for over 80 minutes as Walshy and then Paul Ramsey were sent off only to let in 2 very late goals. At least one was scored by Teddy Sheringham. 

I remember the Millwall fans still wanting to attack the away end but the thing that stays with me was that a lot of our end were trying to get on the pitch as well. Absolute madness !!

I was also at the Hare Kristina riot at Ipswich in 91 which I thought was more funny than directly violent although I remember the away end trying to storm the pitch to get the match postponed as we were 3 - 1 down and facing the abyss of the 3rd division.

Definitely set the heart racing but I'm not advocating the old days by any means.

I was there at both.

Millwall scored the winner deep into injury time through a player called Stephenson who was known for scoring long range screamers (Stephenson's Rocket??) 

The Old Kent Rd was very dodgy afterwards. 

Ipswich was mad

Maybe our Thai owners were there that day and saw all of our Bhudist hardcore element?

Moving a little off topic,  the covert and overt racism exists in countries that you may be surprised of

In my case as a white person living and working in Japan I certainly encounter a lot unsaid negativity.    And can happen where ever you live.   That was the big eye opener for me.

Edited by Japanfox
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Japanfox said:

Moving a little off topic,  the covert and overt racism exists in countries that you may be surprised of

In my case as a white person living and working in Japan I certainly encounter a lot unsaid negativity.    And can happen where ever you live.   That was the big eye opener for me.

There’s a racist joke in their somewhere. 

• Haha 3

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:37, Dr The Singh said:

Yeah but it wasnt nice be told by our own fans too 'foook off you paki bastard, your not welcome here' every home game.  And I loved 'pakis dont watch football..., Wtf are pakis doing here'.  

Now those same people just bite there lip, cus there are laws to protect us, but what does that do.....

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:23, Jo Smith said:

Dr The Singh, I have been to Pakistan, the words and abuse I had reluctantly translated by my local friend were very ignorant and offensive. Then again it was not a City away game and you as a Sikh, may well have got worse. I only mention it because I was drinking wine through game of thrones and feel dead larey. In the Leicester 80s however, I lost a days pay because the Indian factory ladies would not work with a white man present, fixing shelves. My temp agency accepted it as a reasonable cultural quirk. Also remember visiting an "Afghani"  friends house and his mother telling him, in English to be fair, to "get this white man out of my house." the moment she saw us. He was very embarrassed.

It works both ways Dr The Singh, its just that, from hazy memory, your posts tend to be abstract and non committal, like you are wounded and do not truly belong. I got wounded too mate, In a few 80s away games, being white did not save me.

Well,  reread this and realise that i have gone off on one and your point was very valid and I am a bit of a twat, still submitting it though, 

Dr The Singh replied

I've been to Pakistan, 2 times in my life, never suffered any hate at all.  Stayed inhalls with 4 pakistani lads, best mates forever.  I don't disagree Punjabis or Asians as you see them are racist, but violent racism?  The first 2 white girls I dates at school dumped me because there parents told them they could not date a paki. I worked in corporate for years, had 2 racial incidents which I took action.  WTF has this got to do with the thread?

Works both ways?  You having a laugh, giving racist abuse to kids, I was 14, my school teacher was ex Leicester player Arthur Rowley, who gave us free tickets, me and my black mate were the few that took the tickets....if you think racially abusing kids is ok in a violent fashion, your fooking wrong.  I've never heard of so called factory Indians treating white kids badly. 

I don't see a few guys finding intolerance or racism from Punjabis or Indians to whites having the mass effect on football.

Anyhow the thread is about 80's football and it was atracious for racism, if anyone wants to diverse the thread to general racism, please create another thread.  

Edited 13 hours ago by Dr The Singh

My post was out of context to the thread and badly written. I was expanding on earlier posts you had exchanged with others on racism,....,

I was half expecting a reply from you and anticipated apologising for the presumptive and personal remarks I made about your posting style.

However, the actual reply bemused me. That you got 3 thumbs up...…. I despair.

It was quite clear I agreed with your original point, very valid, I stressed.

Did I say Asians and Punjabis are racist? I wrote that my local friend translated remarks that I had heard. (I actually memorised, lazy, gay and bastard, on a bus)

The Sari clad ladies did refuse to work with an Englishman on the factory floor, the supervisor was quite clear to me about that.

If you deny my experiences, why should I believe yours?

The   "if you think racially abusing kids is ok in a violent fashion, your fooking wrong"    bugs me though. You really did go off on one, how many bottles of wine did you drink?  

if you think beating dogs is ok in a violent fashion   , your fooking wrong …     Do you think that?  Probably not, but you wrote something different so I am going to label you as an animal hater

It is my last post for a while, no matter what I am accused of next. I will keep reading the forum though.

46 minutes ago, Jo Smith said:

Dr The Singh replied

I've been to Pakistan, 2 times in my life, never suffered any hate at all.  Stayed inhalls with 4 pakistani lads, best mates forever.  I don't disagree Punjabis or Asians as you see them are racist, but violent racism?  The first 2 white girls I dates at school dumped me because there parents told them they could not date a paki. I worked in corporate for years, had 2 racial incidents which I took action.  WTF has this got to do with the thread?

Works both ways?  You having a laugh, giving racist abuse to kids, I was 14, my school teacher was ex Leicester player Arthur Rowley, who gave us free tickets, me and my black mate were the few that took the tickets....if you think racially abusing kids is ok in a violent fashion, your fooking wrong.  I've never heard of so called factory Indians treating white kids badly. 

I don't see a few guys finding intolerance or racism from Punjabis or Indians to whites having the mass effect on football.

Anyhow the thread is about 80's football and it was atracious for racism, if anyone wants to diverse the thread to general racism, please create another thread.  

Edited 13 hours ago by Dr The Singh

My post was out of context to the thread and badly written. I was expanding on earlier posts you had exchanged with others on racism,....,

I was half expecting a reply from you and anticipated apologising for the presumptive and personal remarks I made about your posting style.

However, the actual reply bemused me. That you got 3 thumbs up...…. I despair.

It was quite clear I agreed with your original point, very valid, I stressed.

Did I say Asians and Punjabis are racist? I wrote that my local friend translated remarks that I had heard. (I actually memorised, lazy, gay and bastard, on a bus)

The Sari clad ladies did refuse to work with an Englishman on the factory floor, the supervisor was quite clear to me about that.

If you deny my experiences, why should I believe yours?

The   "if you think racially abusing kids is ok in a violent fashion, your fooking wrong"    bugs me though. You really did go off on one, how many bottles of wine did you drink?  

if you think beating dogs is ok in a violent fashion   , your fooking wrong …     Do you think that?  Probably not, but you wrote something different so I am going to label you as an animal hater

It is my last post for a while, no matter what I am accused of next. I will keep reading the forum though.

You mentioned that you despair that @Dr the Singh’s reply got three thumbs up. 

As I was one of them, I’ll explain. Your reply to someone who was the victim of despicable racism following our football team in the 1980s was utterly bizarre. 

I’m desperately sorry to hear that and truly hope all that nonsense is in the past would have been a far more appropriate comment in my opinion. 

Why you went off on a tangent that had nothing to do with the context of the thread and racism in English football during the 80s which Dr the Singh had first hand experience of I’ve no idea. 

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...

Just posted elsewhere something about City away supports being shocking at times...that thread brought up a.memory of Derby away in about 1990 a the baseball ground? Anyone remember it? 

It was one of the times we turned up. Capacity 4000 in the terrace behind the goal and the police decided to overfill it afyerb15 mins by letting in 200+ thugs who were ticketless outside and causing aggro. 

Police had set up roadblocks to question cars coming in to Derby and my mates dad lied to say we were from Chellaston, lol.

I was one of little pockets I reckon adding up to hundreds in thier end. I stood in their popside terrace. Some city fans insane enough to celebrate when we scored. The same ones stayed quiet and around 50 of us in that terrace alone stayed to applaud the players after the win (obvs the Derby fans had possed off by then)

To cap off the day, I saw DC Tosh Lines off ITV's The Bill, big Derby man, and heckled him. Happy days! 

LOL the good old days!

I started following City away from home late 80s as well and witnessed some shocking players like Tony Spearing and Colin Gibson. Thankfully the odd Gary McAllister or loanee like Kevin Campbell gave us some hope. Travelling away from home on the train or occasionally by car was an event full of a mixture of excitement and fear, usually in equal measure. Turning up at someone elses Town or City was at times like going to a different country with all sorts of weirdness going on LOL. It was a rougher time to be a football fan and nowhere near as comfortable as it is today but I wouldnt change a thing from the old days, despite too many unpleasant episodes not worth going into here. Still, going to Barnsley, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sunderland etc back in the day both pre and post match and the games themselves will long live in the memory! Fav fans were Newcastle both home and away as they were the loudest and some of the games we had back then were bonkers, 5-4 was a scoreline that happened a couple of times back then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Analysethis said:

LOL the good old days!

I started following City away from home late 80s as well and witnessed some shocking players like Tony Spearing and Colin Gibson. Thankfully the odd Gary McAllister or loanee like Kevin Campbell gave us some hope. Travelling away from home on the train or occasionally by car was an event full of a mixture of excitement and fear, usually in equal measure. Turning up at someone elses Town or City was at times like going to a different country with all sorts of weirdness going on LOL. It was a rougher time to be a football fan and nowhere near as comfortable as it is today but I wouldnt change a thing from the old days, despite too many unpleasant episodes not worth going into here. Still, going to Barnsley, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sunderland etc back in the day both pre and post match and the games themselves will long live in the memory! Fav fans were Newcastle both home and away as they were the loudest and some of the games we had back then were bonkers, 5-4 was a scoreline that happened a couple of times back then.

Haha!

I remember driving me and mi mates down to Portsmouth away in my Capri Ghia! For some bizarre reason I drove us through Central London and past Hyde Park??

Maybe that was the best way to get there then...

That car didn’t half drink juice! I recall all mi mates constantly fookin moanin cos I’d charged them a tenner each for the fuel!

😀

Edited by Col city fan

Guest bss9401

I usually drove, and before the days of satnavs and apps had someone on 'floodlight watch' because most grounds still had the tall variety lol. Fun days.

Guest Markyblue
11 minutes ago, bss9401 said:

I usually drove, and before the days of satnavs and apps had someone on 'floodlight watch' because most grounds still had the tall variety lol. Fun days.

Absolutely this.😁

1 hour ago, Analysethis said:

Travelling away from home on the train or occasionally by car was an event full of a mixture of excitement and fear, usually in equal measure. Turning up at someone elses Town or City was at times like going to a different country with all sorts of weirdness going on LOL. It was a rougher time to be a football fan and nowhere near as comfortable as it is today but I wouldnt change a thing from the old days, despite too many unpleasant episodes not worth going into here.

A good summary.

Going away in the 70's and 80's was a real experience at times.

Looking back, it was crazy at times.   But at the time, we knew nothing different.    Getting drenched on open terraces, being packed in like sardines, all the banter and trouble, football specials, ... it's just how it was.

It was both better and worse than today, at the same time ... if that makes sense.   It was fun at the time, but I wouldn't want the old days back.   It's a bit sterile today at times, but at least you can walk back to the station without the danger of getting your head kicked in.

On 08/04/2019 at 20:37, Stoopid said:

Sure - but as a working-class kid growing up in such a class-obsessed country as this, I feel as though I've had to spend too much of my life having to tacitly apologise for my background at every turn. 

It's hardly surprising that it's left such a chip on my shoulder about it all. A lifetime of being patronised tends to do that.

Incidentally, I like the idea of middle class culture, just not quite sure I've ever encountered any!

(Cheap shot - sorry).

On 08/04/2019 at 20:42, HighPeakFox said:

I understand. Believe it or not, me too. I worked for 4 years with lads that were ostensibly working class, and I became a pariah. The assumptions made about me were breathtakingly ignorant, so it cuts both ways. 

We're derailing this - apologies mods. 

I come from the 60s & 70s....für class System was heavy and pathetic....I Playe d Rugby & compete in athletics.....Rugby to be fair was balanced,sou could Call

Your boss, by  first name,over the weekend..!!!

Athletics, I had to leave Leicester to compete,because of the MClass mentality of functionaires,sponsors,and marshalls. The coaches,and even One Middle Class

Competitors,were great...just The Organisation of the 'old-School type'..even Fathers worried about their daughters..but The Athletes themselves killed themselves laughing...girls n boys...  The foreign competitors,just thought it was weird,seeing English competitive Happy with each other,Bit  their Field-Marshall openly /privately showing such stigma...Thank god then for MC & WC, coaches/teachers,who gave up their free time.....and had Great  success in Building  individuals into  teams...for The day or tournament......Sport have One a break...

Today I Don t know...as you see or know,my life is i. Germany..!!

On 08/04/2019 at 21:00, Stoopid said:

Yeah - well I've never apologised for it either. That's why I said 'tacitly'. 

It's more to do with the assumptions others make about you. 

But you're right - the white working-class continue to be fair game. And I find that bloody irritating. As you probably guessed...

Just caught this....

Its all just a big fun game, and we are all just pawns on the table of life....The Middle clases,still believe they are the lovely-Jublies of  the knight,to Queen bishop..

Too daft,to realise they are Set up for the same checkmate...everytime!!!:trumpet:

Life is Really grand,the trick is keeping your moves,mind & thoughts open. 

Discrimination is only the Protraction of ones own dillusion....

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 17:11, Paninistickers said:

For clarification to the young UN's, police dogs were not some cute sniffer dog looking for flares or bombs.

These were snarling, razor toothed Alsatians barking loudly and pulling at the leash, egged on by both the coppers - and usually your fellow fans - to savage you

On 08/04/2019 at 19:21, HighPeakFox said:

Can I just apologise for being middle class and having a bit of culture worth hanging onto? Even Sue Townsend was wrong sometimes, although I understand the point she was making. 

Completely agree. My family history includes a number of the upper class, even Sirs, God bless 'em.

How times have changed with me though, but stiff upper lip and all that jazz!

On 14/04/2019 at 14:43, worth_the_wait said:

The 80's could be a bit tasty at times.  But at least there was segregation, and the police normally knew what they were doing. Sort of.

The 70's were positively wild by comparison.  No proper segregation, police didn't have a clue, and magistrate fines were so small as to be a joke.  At many places it really was a free for all.   You got trouble, whether you wanted it or not.

Funnily enough, most dodgy away days would be somewhere you weren't expecting it.

At the "worst" places such as West Ham, Chelsea, Tottenham, Millwall, Leeds, Man Utd ... most people wouldn't take too many liberties.  A good proportion of the City hooligan/lads/blokes element would often have weddings to go to (or couldn't afford it, or out shopping with wives), when we played these teams.  So there wasn't usually too much trouble.

The Forest/Derby/Cov local games were high risk and had the potential for mass trouble, with 1000's of City lads making the short trip (and visiting every pub en route).  But the police were usually out in force, so trouble wasn't quite as common as you might expect.  

It was the next bracket down, where things often really kicked off ... places like Middlebrough, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Stoke, Bristol City, Luton, Preston.  And lots more.  Not places you would have necessarily expected it.

Apart from doing something really stupid, and getting yourself into trouble by going into the wrong end ... most of us, have found ourselves stuck in a war zone at some point.  Chelsea and Birmingham in 1979, and Millwall in 1985 are a few that spring to mind (in addition to others mentioned, such as Middlebro in 1988).  Playoff games at Portsmouth in 1993 and Stoke 1996, were also a bit tasty.

In he the late 60's, 70's and early 80's, there was often so much trouble ... it was easier to just list the games where you had no problems!  Norwich, Ipswich, Notts County and Orient spring to mind.   I'm sure there were a few others.   But I can't think of any. 

Totally mate, so many shared memories from hardly missing any aways throughout the late 70s and the 80s/90s.

Bit of culture to sum it up 😉

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…"

Edited by Bluetintedspecs
  • Like 1

Guest Markyblue

The away experience was character building,  exciting edgy and thrilling but no football match is worth a persons life and sometimes you ended up in very dodgy situations, do i miss it yea would i want my kids to go through it, noooooo.

On 31/01/2020 at 18:39, l444ry said:

Back on topic, how many were at this game in 1983?

I was there that day along with approx 8000 other LCFC fans. Great memories of one of my best ever away days. Ranks alongside Orient away, last game of the season three years earlier. :scarf:

• Like 3