Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chelve84

Gaming Desktop

1 hour ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Probably not the answer you want to hear but the best option really is to build it yourself. It's not that hard at all if you do your research and it is ridiculously rewarding. Don't cheap out on the power supply though

Totally agree.  Waste of money buying a prebuilt tower as you're paying extra money for someone putting it together and putting one together is as easy as lego. 

I'd recommend going on https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ and asking on there but also reading the FAQS etc.  Probably get more detailed support on there than on here. 

Need more info.

What's your budget? Do you already have a monitor, decent keyboard and mouse? Need Windows 10 too?

What games are you looking to play? What resolution do you want to game at?

Like others have said, do not under any circumstances buy pre-built. You will get a much better PC for the price by building yourself. It is very easy, just follow a youtube guide as you do it.

Edited by z-layrex

14 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Need more info.

What's your budget? Do you already have a monitor, decent keyboard and mouse? Need Windows 10 too?

What games are you looking to play? What resolution do you want to game at?

Like others have said, do not under any circumstances buy pre-built. You will get a much better PC for the price by building yourself. It is very easy, just follow a youtube guide as you do it.

Out of interest (I'm not looking to build a pc currently), what sort of budget would you be looking at nowadays for a mid-range build, plus run-of-the-mill mouse/monitor/keyboard etc?

It's something I've toyed with several times over the years but I've always (and still...) had more pressing things to save for, so haven't fully researched it.

Last time I played any games on a PC was way back in 2012 on a Dell 'gaming' laptop which was an absolute brick and could just about run Skyrim (no mods) on Medium/Low settings lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

Out of interest (I'm not looking to build a pc currently), what sort of budget would you be looking at nowadays for a mid-range build, plus run-of-the-mill mouse/monitor/keyboard etc?

It's something I've toyed with several times over the years but I've always (and still...) had more pressing things to save for, so haven't fully researched it.

Last time I played any games on a PC was way back in 2012 on a Dell 'gaming' laptop which was an absolute brick and could just about run Skyrim (no mods) on Medium/Low settings lol

For mid range budget build, ultra settings at 1080p, you could probably do a nice AMD build for sub £700. That's not including peripherals like monitor etc.

GPU and RAM prices are still not great, but getting better.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

For mid range budget build, ultra settings at 1080p, you could probably do a nice AMD build for sub £700. That's not including peripherals like monitor etc.

GPU and RAM prices are still not great, but getting better.

Great, ta.

just about to list mine as just dont use it due to work but not sure what to ask as even though its 2 years old its still got some fantastic kit in it 

spec is as follows

phantek pro m case
gigabyte z170x gaming 3 motherboard
intel 6600k i5 3.9 skylake processor
16 gb kingston fury black ram
antec high current gamer 750w psu
gigabyte geforce gtx g1 6gb 980 ti graphics card
samsung dvdrw
samsung 500gb evo 850 ssd hard drive
dell infinity edge 24 u2417 1920x1080p ips widescreen slim bezel monitor

• 4 weeks later...

i build my own pcs and yeah you get plenty more for the money. 

i think a site like ebuyer has a system builder, as do many others.

if it's your first time it'll help you make sure you don't miss any components / buy anything that isn't compatible.

it's so much easier now than years ago - everything just slots into the tower and cables are easy to connect, etc. 

as someone else said, follow a youtube guide and you can't go far wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently gearing up to my build my first pc in about ten to fifteen years. Having moved around between shitty flats and rented homes I've never really wanted or had much room for a permanent work station. I've had about three or four gaming laptops in a row now. 

Most recent was a piece of shit MSI that's been crap since it arrived. 

New RTX 2060 Super out tomorrow I believe so that's going straight in alongside an i5 9600k to be the centre piece. 

About a grand all in I think. 

Edited by Finnegan

On 08/07/2019 at 14:45, Finnegan said:

I'm currently gearing up to my build my first pc in about ten to fifteen years. Having moved around between shitty flats and rented homes I've never really wanted or had much room for a permanent work station. I've had about three or four gaming laptops in a row now. 

New RTX 2060 Super out tomorrow I believe so that's going straight in alongside an i5 9600k to be the centre piece. 

Have you had a look at the new AMD offerings?

On 08/07/2019 at 14:45, Finnegan said:

19 hours ago, Amin said:

Have you had a look at the new AMD offerings?

Second this.  Haven't looked into great detail because I'm not in the market but I've seen a lot of people raving about the latest Ryzens on both price and performance compared to Intel.  If you haven't already lumped in on the i5 it may be worth having a gander at.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting a gaming desktop for simulation games - Football Manager, Euro Truck Simulator, Houseflipper and maybe some horror games like Outlast etc. Will continue to use console for bigger games for shooters/RPG's such as Assasins Creed, GTA, Battlefield etc.

What price should I be looking at IYO? I dont want to underpay and get something that doesnt perform well, but I dont want to overpay for something that Im not utilising.  I've tried to do some research, but just cant make a determination.

On 25/07/2019 at 08:24, CollinsLCFC said:

I'm looking at getting a gaming desktop for simulation games - Football Manager, Euro Truck Simulator, Houseflipper and maybe some horror games like Outlast etc. Will continue to use console for bigger games for shooters/RPG's such as Assasins Creed, GTA, Battlefield etc.

What price should I be looking at IYO? I dont want to underpay and get something that doesnt perform well, but I dont want to overpay for something that Im not utilising.  I've tried to do some research, but just cant make a determination.

More than happy to help, I love doing budget builds. Do you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse yet?

What max budget do you have in mind, those peripherals included if you don't own them yet.

5 hours ago, z-layrex said:

More than happy to help, I love doing budget builds. Do you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse yet?

What max budget do you have in mind, those peripherals included if you don't own them yet.

Possibly around £600-£800 for the main desktop or laptop. Dont have any peripherals yet as I'm undecided wether to have desktop or laptop

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Possibly around £600-£800 for the main desktop or laptop. Dont have any peripherals yet as I'm undecided wether to have desktop or laptop

Ok well a gaming laptop, while more affordable than they were, you're paying waaaay more than you would to build a desktop for the same spec. At 800 you could just about get a laptop for what you'd want, but you wouldn't be very future proofed.

You could probably build a really nice budget build for around £600 which leaves you some left for modest peripherals. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:24, CollinsLCFC said:

GTX 1080 is a graphics card that would more than handle all of those games and has come down in price since they have released their new graphics card.

I took a real gamble with my computer and bought it from Gumtree just over one year ago. Luckily, the seller was local to me and was a computer technician therefore it has been put together well with good components. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with building one of my own.

For around £750 it included the following;

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Graphics card.

16GB Hyper X DDR4 Ram (since upgraded to 32gb ram).

Intel i5-6400 CPU.

Runs all games at highest settings though I would want to upgrade to a better CPU but don't have the money to spend on it!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, adejo92 said:

GTX 1080 is a graphics card that would more than handle all of those games and has come down in price since they have released their new graphics card.

I took a real gamble with my computer and bought it from Gumtree just over one year ago. Luckily, the seller was local to me and was a computer technician therefore it has been put together well with good components. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with building one of my own.

For around £750 it included the following;

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Graphics card.

16GB Hyper X DDR4 Ram (since upgraded to 32gb ram).

Intel i5-6400 CPU.

Runs all games at highest settings though I would want to upgrade to a better CPU but don't have the money to spend on it!

That sounds like a very decent buy!

I thought I'd jump into this topic, and see if anyone can advise on a laptop alternative to the one I've been looking at (which is out of stock).

MSI GF62

My budget is up to around £1,200 and want to future proof as much as possible. The sort of game, similar to the poster above, would be FM and the like, nothing that will require too intense graphics. I would like it to handle on FM for extra a very large database with numerous leagues selected, as an example. 

I'm happy to buy pre built, like the one from Currys, but also open to building my own but my knowledge on that front isn't my strong point. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.