Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

Bands/artists you didn't want to like but now you do

Blossoms have grown on me massively, I dismissed them as a shit teenage girl band but they've put out some very catchy tunes.

Again, I was never keen on Tame Impala to start with but I'm a fan now.

My Chemical Romance. 

I tried so hard not to like them when I became aware of them, about the time they released "Helena" in 2004. It was generally seen as quite uncool at the time.

Then gave their stuff another whirl a few years back to see if I was right to do so. I wasn't.

They have some absolute bangers, TBF and some of the production value on their songs is top-notch.

I can't think of many which don't fall into the 'guilty pleasure' zone.  But I remember not really liking Taking Heads when I was younger, thought they were a bit too weird and artsy, but over the past few years bought everything they released.

• Like 1

Foals. Thought their first single was one of the worst songs I'd ever heard, but almost everything they've done since has been brilliant.

Mate took me to see them live at the Kasbah in Coventry around the time their second album came out, and after a great gig I couldn't really deny that I liked them any longer.

Anyone know if the Kasbah's still going by the way? Was a top venue.

48 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

My Chemical Romance. 

I tried so hard not to like them when I became aware of them, about the time they released "Helena" in 2004. It was generally seen as quite uncool at the time.

Then gave their stuff another whirl a few years back to see if I was right to do so. I wasn't.

They have some absolute bangers, TBF and some of the production value on their songs is top-notch.

Shocking live though, was a massive fan back in the mid 00's went to see them a couple of times and they sounds awful.

James - aside from Laid I never really gave them the time of day as they didn't seem like my cup of tea. They happened to play at Benicassim a few years ago and were one of my favourite acts of the whole festival. Suede as well and Belle and Sebastian for similar reasons. 

7 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

The Smiths for me wanted to hate them but just cant.

I adore the Smiths and by virtue of that also love Morrissey. I can't justify (or stand) the vast majority of what he's come out with over the past few years, but he's still an idol of mine (definitely not politically though!)

18 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone know if the Kasbah's still going by the way? Was a top venue.

Yup! Haven't been for a while, but my Uni friends and I occasionally meet in Coventry as it's about half way between where we all live and that's often a suggestion for where to go, they still host semi-regular gigs I think. 

• Like 1

Only one I can  think of is Amy Winehouse..All the hype back then and all her baggage made me think she was just another commercial waste of space.

A good few years after Back to Black someone gave me her first album Frank. Really surprised me and then finding out her vast knowledge of jazz made me change my opinion. In fact I'd say she's underrated. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

What sort of rap artists you into? 

Wu Tang Clan would fit in nicely here. I find their debut highly overrated but a couple of the solo albums by Raekwon and Ghostface in particular are magnificent. Fishcale and Cuban Linx 2 are two of the best albums of the 00s.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

Got another one to add to the list - I'd never really given Van Morrison a proper listen before, I think young me didn't think he was 'cool' enough for some bizarre reason. Listened to Astral Weeks in the entirety last night and now I am a changed man. What an album. 

• Like 2